- Text Size +


The Forest Lake Incident


By NFalc


9:30


"Oh shit oh shit oh shit..."

There are times when I wish I could tell myself to shut up. Right now is one of them. I keep mumbling curse words to myself. I know these are good girls, they're not going to hurt me. But for some reason, lying here still doesn't feel right.

A peal of earsplitting laughter sounds right behind me. "Ah! Stop fidgeting! That tickles!"

The soft ground beneath me shakes wildly. Well, it isn't actually ground, per se, it's actually Polly Stringham's stomach. She has a deep, rolling belly laugh that is threatening to send me crashing to the floor of the theater below. I manage to grab a handful of her shirt and pull myself up to her ribs, which are also quaking, but less badly than her stomach.

"You're not really used to this, are you?" Polly says with a smile.

No, I'm not exactly used to lying on top of someone, especially not a ticklish girl ten times my size. But these girls are my best bet for survival, and I might as well make myself comfortable while I wait for the cavalry to come and make everything go back to normal. I lie back again, and while I can feel a slight tremor beneath me, I can tell she's controlling herself now.

Of course, just as I start to get comfortable, there's a huge blur of movement in front of me and suddenly I'm lying next to a face that's about as tall as I am. I'm staring into a pair of lips that could probably surround my head. This, I know, is Pris, Polly's best friend. They call themselves twins, have a tendency to dress alike and love the same musicals. They look absolutely nothing like one another, although they're both kind of pretty in their own way.

I spring back a little, landing backwards like I'm doing a crab walk. This causes Polly to erupt in another bout of seismic giggling, and I feel myself sliding over the edge of her torso. I clutch at her tie-dye shirt in vain, then tumble downwards, only to feel softness beneath me. Huge fingers close gently above me, and I realize that she caught me before I hit the theater floor.

"Maybe it would be better for you to find a different seat," she says gently.

"Yeah, that's probably safer," I call back. Wouldn't want you to accidentally chuckle and send me flying to my doom.

Polly gently tilts her hand, and I roll safely onto the wonderfully solid ground beside her. Looking up, I try to see if anyone else was watching this little episode, but my view is blocked completely by the rhythmic rise and fall of Polly's chest. Another difference between the so-called twins: Polly's top-heavy, while Pris has a much nicer rear. Put 'em together and you'd have a hell of a babe, but as it is you have two crazy theater girls who are trouble enough already. Not that they don't mean well.

The reason I'm so worried about people seeing this embarrassing little incident is that we're far from alone in the theater. Over the past hour or so, at least five other girls have found their way in here, all of them theater brats, misfits or social rejects. No real outcasts like yours truly, but close enough that I care about how I come off. Especially since any of them could flatten my head under their thumb if they decided they didn't like my attitude.

A fair number of guys are seeking refuge in the theater as well. One of them comes up and taps me on the shoulder right now. I turn and see a smiling, genial face topped with poodle-like curly black hair. "I see you've dismounted your loyal steed," he says, chuckling. The guy's name is Billy Cantor, and he's the star of the drama department at Forest Lake; always gets the lead in every production, and is easily the leader of their social group. He likes to pretend he's smarter than he is, and he's kind of a wiseass, but half the misfits are in love with him.

That's why, instead of rolling over on top of him, Polly merely rolls her eyes and sighs. "Billy! For such a shrimp you've got a really big mouth."

"The better to yell to you, m'dear," He says, affecting a pretty dreadful English accent. What makes them think he's a good actor, again?

Polly giggles. There's a tremendous sound of shifting cloth behind her, and I'm suddenly facing two mountain-sized girls instead of one. Pris is leaning over Polly's midriff to peer down at us. "Why are you yelling to us, anyway?" she asks. "Shouldn't you be with Michele?"

Billy drops the goofy look he's been sporting, and for a brief moment I can see concern cross his face. He quickly moves to hide it, however. Maybe he's a better actor than I thought. "As a matter of fact, I don't know where she went." He says smoothly.

I've always been good at spotting liars. Billy's hand is twitching, and he's biting his lower lip. His thick eyebrows are knitted more tightly than normal. He's got more tells than a bad poker player. Of course, they're small enough that none of the girls can notice them.

"You should go find her," Polly says, smiling broadly. "I mean, I wouldn't want to be without a guy right now. Not when you're all so cute!"

Billy mumbles a sort of reply and walks off. Polly turns to Pris and begins chatting loudly once more.

I'm antisocial, I tell myself. And the guy's kind of obnoxious. Why do I give a shit about his problems? But then again, there's nothing better to do...

I sprint a little to catch up to Billy, then tap him on the shoulder. "Hey, where are you going?"

He looks at me levelly. "Somewhere. I'm taking a walk."

"Outside?" I ask casually. "I don't recommend that. With all the girls running around out there, you'll probably get stepped on."

He stops walking and stares at me. "What do you want?"

"I want you to tell me the truth."

He frowns. He probably doesn't like being found out. "Fine. I lied. I know where Michele is."

Okay, maybe he's not just unhappy about me catching on. "Why aren't you with her?" I ask bluntly.

"I saw her walking around earlier," he says, looking stricken. "She's seven times my size right now. I'm barely taller than her sneakers. With every step she took the ground shook." He runs a hand through his curly hair. "You know those golf carts the teachers sometimes use to get around?"

We call them golf carts, although the staff call them "personnel transports". Basically, there are a few small two-person electric cars around the school for teachers who have classes far apart. Lazy fucks too fat to walk, that cut themselves a bigger portion of the school budget than they deserve. They leave the carts lying all over campus, and as a result half of them are covered in graffiti. "Yeah, I know those."

"There was one in her way," he says, eyes wide. "She didn't even notice it. Just kicked it like a soda can. I mean, the thing crumpled."

"So she doesn't know her own strength," I say. "And maybe she's a little clumsy. If you talked to her about it, I'm sure she'd be more careful."

"Probably. But that's the thing... I can't even shout to her. I get shaky just looking at her. It's the weirdest thing, but I'm actually scared of my girlfriend."

I have to work hard to control the smirk that wants to possess my face. I mean, I don't want to feel contempt for the guy, but this doesn't make any sense. "You do fine around the other girls. What makes this different?"

"Do you have a girlfriend?" He asks. I shake my head. "You wouldn't understand," he replies.

I fucking hate it when people say that. But I'm trying to be genial here. If I help this guy out, I might just be accepted into this group. And today is probably the only day in my life that I actually care about being accepted.

"Maybe I can help," I say. "Where is she, anyway?"

Billy looks dubious, but he motions for me to follow and begins leading me down one of the school corridors. Then he ducks out of sight. I keep walking, until he yanks me out of the center of the hall. He's flattened against the bare concrete wall. I quickly decide to imitate him.

"There are more giants out there," Billy whispers. "And they might not be too friendly." He's right. There are huge pounding noises that sound like they're coming from just outside the walls. On any other day these would freak me out. I'd be figuring that some idiot general had mistakenly ordered an artillery strike on my school. But today, I know them to be nothing more than the footsteps of my former classmates.

I silently curse myself for not catching on quicker. Rule number one, my dad always taught me: be aware of your environment. We're about a foot away from a large plate window. I stay against the wall, but creep forward so I can see outside.

Just more boulders. As far as the eye can see. Suddenly, the window fills with something almost incomprehensibly huge. I can only get a general impression of movement, it's so big. I quickly dart back against the wall. There's a tremendous rattling sound, like gale force winds. The sound of her breathing hitting the window. My heart thumps loudly in my chest.

I close my eyes and wait for the rattling to stop, but it doesn't. Finally, my curiosity wins out. I hesitantly nudge my head out from behind the wall, just far enough to see. I try not to gasp. Filling the window is a dark mirror rimmed by a halo of chestnut. An iris and pupil. Each of her eyelashes is the size of a saber. Slowly, I begin to realize that the eye doesn't occupy the entire window. It's rimmed by the pale, delicate tan-yellow flesh of the girl's cheek. I think she's probably Asian.

I duck back behind the wall and glance over at Billy. "What's there?" he asks.

"Big one," I mutter. "But her eye's right up against the window. I think we might be able to sneak past."

"Are you crazy? There's glass floor to ceiling, she'll see us!"

"Think about it. She's so close that she won't actually be able to focus on us. If we press right up against the glass, crouch and move very slowly, we'll just be smudges. We get past and then we run."

"This is stupid," Billy whispers bitterly. "I'm risking death to see my girlfriend, who is currently scaring the everloving shit out of me because she's seven times my size."

"It's a hell of a lot of work to get laid," I reply. "But if not now, then when?"

He curls his lip and gives a curt nod. We both crouch low to the ground.

"Okay then, on the count of three. One, two... move."

We press ourselves to the glass, hunched over, and crawl forward. I try not to look at the eye outside. I bet I could see my reflection in it if I tried. Just keep moving. She can't see you. Just go. Halfway there now, you'll make it.

There's a tremendous thunking sound behind me. I turn over my shoulder to see that Billy's lost his balance and fallen against the window. The face outside it abruptly pulls back.

"Oh shit," I say softly. Then I yell. "Run!"

I grab Billy by his arm, hoist him up and then we dash headlong down the hallway. I glance backwards to see French-manicured fingernails crashing through the walls and ceiling. The entire area we were just crawling through is almost instantly demolished, in a scream of breaking glass and crumbling concrete. The hand moves away, and I can see the girl towering above us. A gorgeous Asian with red streaks in her dark hair, an amused grin on her face.

This is a game to her.

"We've got to get away from the windows!" I call out. "If she can see us, we're toast."

"The basement!" Billy yells in reply.

The nearest stairs are a sprint away in the D building lobby. We charge forward, the sounds of her footsteps just behind us, reverberating through the corridor. Then the sound of cracking wood. I look back to see the ceiling being torn away just behind us. Peeled off like a band-aid. Her face fills the gap where the styrofoam ceiling tiles were.

But we're almost to the stairs and hopefully safety. If she can't see us, she can't hurt us. Not without demolishing the whole building, and I hope to god she isn't strong enough for that. We make it to the stairs, and in the rush to get down Billy slips again and goes tumbling down the stairs, landing sideways at the bottom.

I jump down the huge steps two at a time, get Billy to his feet, then look up to see a monstrous hand with five shiny white-tipped fingernails heading straight for us. I push Billy to the right, and he takes the cue and bolts down the stair. I follow just fast enough to see the hand bulldoze through the wall behind me.

Billy's panting at the bottom of the stairwell. I join him, and we promptly collapse to the floor, exhausted, staring upwards at the stairs in front of us.

"Oh my god, she's huge," Billy breathes.

"I've seen bigger," I reply. This girl's a bit shorter than Jamie and her gang. I nudge Billy. "You okay?"

"I'm a total goddamn klutz, but yeah, I'm all right," he says with a smile. It's only then that I notice a large cut on his forehead.

"Holy shit man, you're bleeding."

He wipes at the cut with the back of his arm. "Ah, it's only a flesh wound." That terrible British accent again, but I give the guy credit for shrugging this off. "Do you think she's still up there?" he asks.

There's the scraping noise of her fingerprints on the floors above for an answer. "Come out, come out, little boys," she sing-songs. Her voice is somewhat musical, but there's an edge to it. I can't decide whether it's playful or menacing. "I promise I'll play nice."

"Don't trust that," I say.

"No kidding," Billy whispers back. We hold our breath and listen.

Her voice comes booming down the stairwell. "Come on, all I want is for you to worship me." Yeah, if that's not asking too much. Suddenly, there's a loud boom and crack above us, and dust falls from the ceiling. "I know you're down there. Now come back up before I blow the roof in."

"Fuck," I mutter to myself. "She's not leaving, and she isn't going to. We have to figure out some way to get out. Where exactly is your girlfriend at, anyway?"

"Michele was in Building C when I last saw her," Billy says. "And there's an open-air bridge connecting C and D. That would be the easiest way out."

"Okay, that's our escape route. Now all we need is a way of distracting her..." I try and think about her weak spots. She kept pressing her eye to the window... I look down at my feet, at the rubble on the floor, then it comes to me. "I think I've got it!" I lean over and hurriedly whisper the plan to Billy.

We climb halfway up the stairwell and stop. I take a deep breath, then shout up, "Okay, mistress. We are willing to be your servants!"

The girl's face fills the hole in the ceiling. "That's good. I'd have had to kill you otherwise. I'd much rather have two little playthings instead of two little corpses."

"Oh great goddess! We humble playthings have a gift for your holiness!" Billy shouts upwards with almost vaudevillian exaggeration. "But you must lower your eyes to our level in order to see it."

"Very well," The girl says. "Come up to the top floor, and I'll see your gift."

I hesitate. If she decides to grab us, the whole thing's over. I just hope she isn't thinking too carefully... We climb the steps. She leans down, places her huge eye over the hole in the ceiling.

As soon as she's in place, I take the fistful of dust and debris I have behind my back, and hurl it straight at her. "Ah!" she cries out at ear-splitting volume, her face drawing back from the ceiling, manicured hands clawing at her eyes.

"Got her!" I yell triumphantly, then we bolt down the stairs and through the lobby doors, out onto the bridge towards C Building. As we run across, I can see the girl, still standing above D Building, rubbing her eyes and screaming with rage, the sound of her voice carrying clear across campus.

"I can't believe that worked!" Billy shouts happily.

"I know, oldest trick in the book, huh?"

"On an AB kid, no less!" AB stands for Advanced Baccalaureate, which is a diploma given to the students who take supposedly harder classes. Total crock of shit, the kids who take it think it'll help them get into a better college, but it really just gives them a major superiority complex.

"No shit, that was an AB kid?"

"Yeah, Ally Nakota. She was one of the ringleaders of that crowd. She always struck me as a total manipulator, doesn't surprise me that she's on a power trip now that she's gigantic. Come to think of it, I think she was always complaining about being short..."

We reach the doors to D building. I jump and grab the handle, and the doors swing open. "So, where's your girl?" I ask.

"I saw her through the window in the library," Billy says. "It has high ceilings, so she was able to sit against one of the walls."

"Just how tall is she, again?"

"About seven times as big as me. Her head still kind of brushes the ceiling of the library. But she's got room to stretch her legs."

I stop in the corridor. "Hmm, library's just down the hall. You ready for this, man?"

Billy's visibly nervous. "I think so. Oh my god, what am I going to say to her? 'Hello dear, you're looking very big today'? 'How's it feel to be able to crush cars under your feet'?"

"Okay, you officially need to chill the fuck out. This is your girl we're talking about here. Doesn't matter whether she's a dwarf or can fill the Grand Canyon. She loved you yesterday. And as long as you don't screw this up too bad, she'll still love you today."

Billy bites his lip and nods. "She loves me," he says to himself. "She loves me."

"Now go in there and show her that you love her back." I open the library door wide, and gesture him in. Not a bad speech. Especially since I've never actually been in love myself.

Billy walks in cautiously, and I slowly close the door behind him, then lurk behind one of the bookshelves. If you asked me why I was hiding, I couldn't really tell you. I'm not a perv or anything, spying just comes naturally to me. And after all the work involved in getting here, I want to see how this plays out.

Looking down towards the back of the library, I see Michele sitting against the wall. Billy estimated her height pretty well. Her strawberry-blond hair scrapes the ceiling, and her long legs jut out across the center of the room. She's got a pale, thin face which is kind if slightly quirky. Two gargantuan white sneakers lie in the corner, and her long white feet are bare. Nice boobs, I think to myself, as I scan back up towards her chest. Then I snap out of it, thinking, wait, this is Billy's girl, I've got no business checking her out.

He approaches her cautiously, and calls her name. With surprising speed for something so big, she turns her head. "Billy?" she calls down softly.

"One and the same," he says, taking an exaggerated bow. I think he's acting out to keep himself confident.

Michele instantly breaks into a smile. She has small, close-knit white teeth. "I was so worried about you! I mean, I didn't even know where you were..." She leans towards him. Billy nervously backs up a few steps. I slap my hand on my forehead. Idiot. The guy can't even tell, she's as nervous right now as he is. Lucky for him, she doesn't take it personally, but instead straightens once more. "It's really good to see you."

"I'm, um, glad I found you," he replies somewhat lamely. Come on, you bastard, you're an actor. If you can't talk without being nervous, act like you aren't! "I can't believe everything that's been happening today."

"Yeah, it's been weird. I mean, I was walking around, and everything looked like a dollhouse... I was searching for you a while ago, and I was so busy that I actually stepped on one of the golf carts. Can you believe that?"

Billy mumbles something along the lines of, "Oh yeah, I can." I really hope the guy doesn't blow this.

"So then I came back here, because I thought, if I can do that to a golf cart, then think about what would happen if there was a person there. I mean, I can't imagine. Doing that to somebody..."

Billy's starting to come closer now. He's starting to get it. He reaches out and strokes her foot, the closest thing to him. She wiggles her toes, and trails off in the story. "But where have you been?"

"Oh, you know, out and about. Chased here and there. Actually, I met up with some of the people from the theater department."

She leans forward towards him. "Really? How are they doing?"

"Tall," Billy replies promptly. "Although not quite as tall as you. And I mean that as a compliment." Nice save.

Michele smiles wider. "Um, do you mind if I... hold you, for a bit?"

Even at this distance, I can tell that Billy's still nervous about this. I can understand why. They're both clumsy as hell. But all the same, if he's going to get anything done, he's got to accept. I see him make the slightest of nods. Michele moves to pick him up.

But just as she's about to take him, the sound of muted voices comes from outside. Billy and Michele freeze. I look at the door, and focus on the sound of the voice. I can recognize it.

This is not good, not good at all. I quickly come out from behind the bookcase. "You two need to get out of here," I call up, just loud enough for them to hear.

"Who are you again?" Michele asks, confused.

"A friend of Billy's. No time for introductions, there are some very big women outside and you don't want to be here if they come in. You have to get out of here."

"Where should we go?" Billy asks.

"Head back to D Building," I answer. "The theater. You'll be safe there. I'll distract the ones outside." I turn and head for the doors.

"Wait," Michele calls, "How do we get out?"

I turn back briefly. "You're a big girl now," I say, "So who needs doors when you can break down walls?"

Michele nods, and I turn back towards the doorway. I press my ear to the door, and hear the vibrations of their voices outside. "What we need is a safe place," a girl says, "A place where we can plan, and where we'll keep our men. A fortress."

Jamie, Jamie, I think to myself, I would never have pegged you as the strategic type. One of the other girls, it sounds like Carla, says something back, but I don't even bother listening to it. If I want to cover Billy and Michele, I have to go now.

So I burst through the doors and out into the hallway, which is now missing its ceiling. I wonder how I didn't hear that happen. Must be getting used to the sound of things breaking. Jamie, Carla and Rose stand, towering in the wreckage of the C Building lobby. Behind me I hear a window break. All three girls look straight in my direction.

Before I even know what's happening, there's a tidal wave of motion in front of me, a flurry of gigantic hands bearing down. "Don't hurt him," I hear Jamie yell. A huge tan hand lowers over me, pinning me roughly underneath the palm. I lie perfectly still. She's got me now, no reason to resist.

The hand pinning me lifts away, and is swiftly replaced by another, which scoops me up and grips me tightly. My head and shoulders stick out just above the long fingers wrapped which are holding me. Then I'm flying out into the air, involuntarily wiggling my feet as they leave the ground.

"If you want to wriggle free, hombrecito, I'll let you go," Carla's booming voice warns behind me. I don't even bother looking down. The drop must be gigantic. I force myself to go limp in her hand, stare outwards as Jamie comes before me. I'm about eye-level with the top of her leather jacket's zipper. I crane my head upwards at her.

She presses her lips together and stares at me. "Who just broke out of that window, and where were they going?" she asks.

"They're friends of mine," I answer. "And I won't tell you where they went."

The fingers holding me grip tighter, squeezing in on me. I struggle to breathe as they close in like a vice. "Answer her question."

Jamie motions with a huge pale hand, somewhere to my left. A soft downward motion. The fingers around me relax. "We're not going to force him," Jamie says. "And I've got more important things to ask." She turns her attention back towards me, then crouches slightly, so that I'm staring into her hazel eyes. "Why did you run away before?"

Oh shit, time to think of a good answer. "I didn't know what you wanted with me," I answer. "I thought you'd kill me or something. Wasn't that what you were planning?" It's probably the closest I can get to an honest response.

Jamie looks pensive. She doesn't answer the question, but unfolds a long, white hand beneath me. "Drop him, Carla."

I glance back and see Carla looking puzzled. "What are you going to -"

"Just drop him. Gently."

The fingers around me loosen, and I feel myself plunge downwards a short distance, to land in the center of Jamie's hand. "I'm keeping you with me," she says. And without another word I'm being launched towards darkness.

I land in a soft, hot black space. The pocket of Jamie's leather jacket. I can see the metal teeth of the pocket's zipper above me. No easy way out. I sigh and settle back against the fabric, feeling movement as Jamie walks. I asked for this. I allowed them to take me prisoner so Billy and Michele could go free. And, strangely, I don't even regret it. Jamie hasn't killed me, at least not yet, so that much is okay. Of course, by the sound of things, she intends to keep me as her prisoner.

Yet when I think about that, there's a weird sort of kinky thrill to it. If I'm reading the signs right, she had a crush on me, probably still does. In the best case scenario, I'll become, eventually, something more than a slave or a toy to her. What would life be like, I wonder, if I was her lover?

Suddenly, the pocket around me swings wildly as Jamie comes to an abrupt stop. I hear thunderous female voices above me. I recognize Jamie, Carla and Rose in the mix, but the others I haven't heard before. One sounds like the aural equivalent of bubble gum, except with five times more bass than normal. A voice that would sound cutesy at normal size but it is awe-inspiring at the moment. I realize, this girl is probably even bigger than Jamie. I thought Jamie was big enough...

I feel a jarring impact, then the world goes crooked. In the gap of the pocket, I see whirling images of the sky, trees and buildings. Then, with a sound like a building being demolished, Jamie hits the ground. Some of the tan boulders outside go flying from the collision. I look out and see the ground just outside the gap. We're horizontal now. I've got an exit.

I clamber to my feet and crawl quickly out of the pocket, jumping out onto one of the boulders below. I scan around me quickly. A gigantic, pillar-like arm of brown flesh stretches above me. It's a black girl, who's straddling Jamie, holding her on the ground. Off in the distance, there are two other girls, one who's really skinny and built like she's tall. The other is a girl everyone in the school knows. Alexa Briscoll, second in popularity only to Jen Asafrago. She used to be a vacuous slut. Now she's a vacuous slut who could dwarf Godzilla.

All six girls start shouting at once, the noise earsplitting, like Mother Nature herself having an argument with her girlfriends. They're so distracted they don't even notice me. Now's my chance to get away, before they fight and level the entire courtyard. I glance quickly around. The nearest safe place is A Building, right behind the popular girls. I could run upstairs and hide in the cafeteria. Jamie might not even realize I've gone missing until it's too late.

I run, trying to stop myself from screaming, past legs the length of whales, Alexa's bus-length sandals, over the boulders, through the doors, across the lobby and up the stairs towards the cafeteria.