- Text Size +

The next morning Rob was able to see Emily for the first time since the Machine had changed the world around him. It was obvious her body had changed since the event. Her straight blonde hair cascaded down her back while she sat patiently at the breakfast table waiting for her food. Upon further inspection, Rob found she had what looked like the beginning of two small breasts; something that he definitely didn't notice before.

 

His mom was vigorously flipping pancakes at the stove, too focused at the task at hand to notice Rob come it. She too had suffered under the hands of the Machine, growing slightly taller and more voluptuous as well.

 

His father sat reading the newspaper, taking bites out of his toast and drinking sips of his coffee. Rob could only assume that he too had shrunk, making him the same height as his son, standing at 5'6".

 

"Hey there he is now!" Robby heard a voice call out, "It took you long enough! Come have some breakfast." Rob's mother Lilly offered, placing some pancakes on a plate.

 

Rob drew in the rich syrupy aroma coming off of the freshly made pancakes, admiring his mother's craftsmanship.

 

"Thanks Mom!" He exclaimed, looking up into his mother's gorgeous green eyes.

 

"Not a problem, my son." She said in a sarcastic tone, followed by a silly laugh that only mom's could accomplish making.

 

Just then a pair of quick feet came sprinting into the kitchen. "BREAKFASSSSST!!!" Melanie hollered, jumping into the seat next to her big brother.

 

"Hi Rob!" She chirped up to him.

 

"Hi Melanie..."

 

She turned towards the table, which was a bit too high for her body, and attempted to perform the impossible, leaning as far forward as she could to reach the top-stacked pancake.

 

"Oh here ya' go honey." Mom said, moving two pancakes over to her plate. "Just say if you need more. Growing girls can have as much as they want!" she smiled down at her youngest daughter.

 

"Oh and Robin, don't forget we're going to Melanie's friend's birthday party today. Don't make any plans."

 

"Awwww what?! Come on Mom...I don't wanna go to some little girl's party." Rob whined, even in the presence of Melanie.

 

"It's good for you to spend some time with your family! You're not getting out of this Mr., and that's final."

 

Rob shlumped as far down into his chair as the tension stood still in the air. He draped his arms around the plate in front of him and let his head bob between the edge of the table and his chest, looking down at the kitchen tiles.

 

"It's not fair..." he muttered to himself. "Emily doesn't even have to go! Why do I have to?" he continued to complain to himself.

 

"Achoo!" *sniffle* "Excuse me." apologized Emily.

 

"Eat your pancakes, Robby. You need to have some breakfast." His mother commented.

 

"I don't want any," Rob retaliated, attempting to deny any and all of his mother's wishes. "--and I'm not going to that stupid party!"

 

With his head still down between his arms, he saw the lower half of his mother's body readjust herself in her seat.

 

"That's fine then Robby, but don't expect me to cater to your needs later. You hear?"

 

Rob just huffed some more, continuing to ignore his mother completely.

 

He noticed at the corner of his eye his baby sister Melly swinging her dangling legs off the chair, only...

 

He stared curiously, as if in a trance, confused by what he saw. It appeared that Melanie's tiny legs, as they swung back and forth, slowly began to get closer to the ground. It wasn't by much, and it could've been a trick of the eye, but Rob couldn't help but feel uneasy-- queasy even-- by the sight. He slowly peeked his eyes over his shoulder, observing her carefully.

 

It was true! Oh no! He concentrated on Melly's form, witnessing her frame slowly lengthening before him.

 

"Hmmmfphff!!!!" Rob gasped against the meat of his arm. Melanie looked over in bewilderment, as well as the rest of his family, though nothing was said.

 

"Oh no oh no oh no oh no!" Rob began panicking, "Not this again! How big are they going to get! My god!"

 

He brought his eyes back down to the floor, waiting for everyone to drift back to their meals. Anything to prevent him from further embarrassment.

 

Rob tilted his head towards Melanie's feet once again and found she could now comfortably rest her feet on the ground. Just then a soft delicate hand rested on the back of his head.

 

"You alright big brother?"

 

He lifted his gaze up to meet his little sister's, and what he saw showed on his face.

 

"You look pale." she stated in concern.

 

With a slack jaw, Rob wasn't doing himself much good. His little Melly had sprouted taller right before his very eyes! Her cute little button nose that he knew so well had now changed entirely, turning into a thin, feminine-shaped one. And her dainty imperfect chin was now polished to perfection, leaving no trace of what it once was. This shattered Rob's emotions. Traits that Rob looked upon as his little sister's were gone in an instant... what made her the innocent child was now gone forever.

 

Her jawline became more defined as his eyes watched minuscule amounts of baby fat fade away from her cheeks..

 

Her hand still rested on his shaken shoulder, leaning in intently for his response, eyes wide open.

 

"I-I'm fine Melly" , calling her by her nickname felt awkward now. "I just have a lot on my mind is all."

 

It wasn't enough to quench her concern, but Melanie nodded in acceptance "Ok...take care of yourself." and lifted her hand off him.

 

Rob sat straight in his chair, eyes void of life. There was a moments pause. Something deep inside him cried at that instant, warning him that his sibling relationship with Melanie would soon fall apart, forever being tainted by the chipped pieces that had already shattered to the ground. Disturbing thoughts arose. Thoughts of his little sister one day no longer feeling comfortable enough to speak to him crawled into his subconscious. Fighting, arguing, competition-- everything.

 

So he spoke.

 

"I love you Melanie." Rob said plainly, still absentmindedly staring towards his plate full of food.

 

Melanie's eyes sparkled with tears of joy when those rare words rung within her ears.

 

"Robby..." She gloated, leaping towards his unprepared figure. "I love you too!"

 

Lifting up from their clasp, Melanie asked with a hopeful expression "So does this mean you'll go to Ashley's birthday party with me?!"


With a warm smile, Rob agreed. "Sure Melanie, I'll go."