- Text Size +
I woke up early in the morning again. I yawned a bit, as I was fairly tired. The past day's events had still left me shocked and rustled, so sleep had been hard to come by. I ate a small portion of the sardines I'd found yesterday. I had to ration it to make it last as long as possible. As I ate, I took long gazes at my "home." There were numerous posters, many ripped in half of on the floor. The gray walls were dirty and the purchasing area's glass panes had been destroyed. By looters or by the force of the giants' footfalls, I don't know. Most of the racks and shelves were knocked over onto their sides, with the games strewn all over the floor. I might need to clean up a bit eventually. If I was gonna stay here a while, which I plan on doing, then I suppose it could be nicer.

After finishing my relatively tasteless meal, I grabbed my gear and prepared to set out again. I needed to formulate a plan this time. I'd thought it over last night and wondered why I never had had one before. I couldn't be running in to more would-be killers and giants.

Yesterday, after leaving base, I'd headed to my right and taken another one after that, following that path for most of the journey. I'd already gone straight ahead many times, so my least explored option was to the left. Unfortunately, the left is where most of the dangers lie. There are more giants over there and probably more people as well, since I kinda live on the edges of the city and to the left is the "main" city. And, of course, the Toes. Can't forget them.

I didn't really have much of a choice. There wasn't much undiscovered to me to either my right or ahead, so left it was. I sighed as I grabbed my rifle and pack and headed out.

The cold morning air shook my bones and I involuntarily shivered. Almost since the beginning I'd lost track of time. I mean, I know the general time like morning or night, but I have no idea what month it is. Judging by the cold weather, it was probably December or January. I pulled my jacket tighter and adjusted my hat as I continued walking.

There were plenty of buildings on my right and left, as well as intersections, but there weren't any straight ahead of me. I wasn't sure if it was a good thing or a bad thing. I could see anyone coming down the street clearly, but then again, they could see me. I also had a great view of the Toes in all their might. They stood there, motionless, as if their owner was dead. Not one movement. Believe me, if they'd even so much as wiggled, it would've been felt for miles around. I questioned them in my mind. How could they be so still? Is the alien who they belong to seated or something? Surely not, as I would have seen a throne that large. So how could they stand there, day in and day out, without any movement? I guess I really shouldn't question them. I mean, they're the toes of an alien. Who knows what they're like? They might not need food or water, or talk like we do, or even have any emotions. Maybe they could just stand still like that forever. I don't know.

I really wished that the aliens we'd got were those little green men with space guns you used to see on TV all the time. We might have had a chance against those aliens. These ones, they're much worse.

Our aliens, the giant women, they're so much worse than the little green men. Those aliens might have abducted us or something, but I doubt they could have basically destroyed the planet like these ones have. Their destruction is total. Here, it's not as bad as some other places I've seen, but it's still pretty bad. The buildings I walked past earlier were some of the few left standing over here. As I walked further on, the building condition started to get worse and worse. This area was closer to one of the areas that the Toes once stepped on. Their effect on this area was obvious. If a building was still standing, it was in horrible condition. In many of the ones I saw, half or more of the building was missing. Rubble was everywhere. The street was riddled with cracks. Debris filled the streets and fallen buildings created obstructions in the road. And the thing is, the Toes hadn't even stepped on this area. Not even close. It's fairly close to where I live, but still a good ways away. And I live dozens of miles from the Toes. If this is what the shockwaves from them can do to a city, one can only wonder what happens to the ones that actually get stepped on...

Enough about that. The mission at hand was to get more supplies. I started to regret coming this way, as the further away from home I got, the less and less there was. I took some turns here and there. The closer I got to the Toes, the more destruction there was. Resources would be very hard to come by in this area. I searched around all day but found nothing.

I kept walking, checking everywhere I thought might offer something useful, but to no avail. After some more time looking around, and just when I was about to call it quits, I stumbled upon a pharmacy that was only half destroyed. Although it was in pretty bad condition, it was better off than most things around here.

I entered the pharmacy with my gun over my shoulder, as per usual. I remembered that I'd gained a pistol yesterday, but due to my forgetfulness it wasn't on me. An extra gun's always handy, especially in times like these.

From the outside it was nearly impossible to tell what kind of store it was, but once I entered I saw CVS markings everywhere. I already knew it was a pharmacy, but at least I knew I wasn't in some place like Walgreens.

Like I expected, there wasn't much to be found. It was either already taken or destroyed. I looked around some more in hopes that I'd find something, but all I came across was a pack of band aids. Whoop-de-doo. Frustrated, I kicked them forcefully across the main hall of the store.

Suddenly, I heard some movement towards my right. Readying my gun, I experienced a wave of deja vu, as so far this was feeling very similar to yesterday's events.

I turned right around the corner, gun loaded. There was no one in sight. I heard a coughing sound, this time ahead and to my left. Wherever this sound was coming from, it was from the back of the store. I inched my way forward and popped my head around the corner. I was prepared for the worst, unlike how I was yesterday.

A young man was lying against the wall. He was surrounded by blood, but he wasn't dead. I saw his chest rise and fall. His brown pants were stained red. I couldn't see a weapon in sight.

He looked up at me, startled. He coughed again and an expression of fear flashed across his face.

"Pl-please, don't hurt me," he whispered.

I ran up to him. I checked the floor for any weapon, but I couldn't find one. Neither of his hands were concealed, so he couldn't be hiding one there.

"What happened to you?" I asked him, genuinely concerned.

"Shot," he managed to get out. Another cough. He was clearly not in a state where he could answer fully.

I looked him over. The man around the same age as me had a bullet wound in his left shoulder. I couldn't really tell if it was bleeding anymore, but I didn't think it was. I got up and threw his right shoulder over mine. After what happened yesterday. I had to convince myself I wasn't a bad guy or something. He didn't resist but he didn't help either. He winced in pain and looked as if he wanted to sit down again, but I wouldn't allow him to.

"Sorry," I said to him.

He nodded his head and we began to walk out the door. It was dark now, but I wasn't sure what time it actually was. It didn't really matter, though. It was dark out, and that's what really mattered. The giants, they must have some sort of schedule or plan or something. They're out and about during the day, but at night there are more of them and they're more violent as well. Now was definitely not the time to be out. And now I had this guy slowing me down. It was too late now. I couldn't just abandon him and leave him to die. We had to move on.

I'd come some miles from my base since I'd left, so we didn't exactly have a short journey ahead of us. I checked the sky again. I came to the conclusion that it was likely around five. This meant it was just about to start getting really dark, which in turn meant we had very little time.

I led us a medium paced jog. He left arm hung free so it wouldn't be in as much pain. His legs were actually fine, but his arm would affect his ability to run. I guessed we were about 2 to 3 miles away from base. Not very good. At this pace, it would take us about 30 minutes. Who knows what could happen in that time.

We kept pushing onwards, and as we went, I explained the current situation to him in between breaths. He didn't say anything but he nodded his head again in tacit agreement. We picked up the pace a little bit, but nothing too substantial.

After about 15 minutes of walking, jogging and running, we felt some light tremors. I cursed under my breath. We were only about halfway home, and we really did not need this now. At this new threat we increased our speed quite a bit. He was clearly struggling and I wasn't sure how much longer we could keep this up.

The tremors started to grow louder, as did the booms. I turned around as we ran, and far off in the distance, but rapidly closing the gap, was a giant. She wasn't running but was still covering a lot of distance with each stride. I cursed again. Hopefully she hadn't seen us, but I doubted that was the case.

The giant woman seemed to increase in size as she got closer, and it became evident she'd seen us. I had to think fast. We weren't gonna make it home in time. That much was obvious. We weren't gonna outrun her. That was also obvious. That meant we had to hide. The 500 foot colossus shook the ground as she stomped closer. The poor guy next to me looked like he was about to collapse.

We kept running for a short distance and we came to a turn. It was our only hope. In this area the buildings were actually mostly intact, though I could see some of them swaying and shaking from the force of the giant barreling towards us.

We ducked quickly around a corner. We were getting very lucky, as it seemed just the right things were destroyed. There was a gap for us to squeeze through and get inside of a partially destroyed building. Quickly, we positioned ourselves in what we thought would be a hard to detect position among some rubble and debris. The ground shook quite a bit under the alien woman's weight. She'd seen us turn the corner, but hopefully she hadn't seen us enter the building.

The footfalls slowed down and they came less frequently. I heard her walking to our left. She was basically on top of our position now. Each step rocked the earth.

The man and I were as quiet as rocks. We looked out through a hole in the bottom of the side of the building and saw a huge foot slam down, followed shortly by another. I saw that she had red toenails like the giant I'd encountered the other day. Her feet stood still. I saw her ankles twisting a bit and I assumed she was turning her hips, looking for us. I held my breath.

Her feet stayed there for at least 30 seconds. She knew we must have been over here, or else she'd have already moved on. Honestly, I had no idea how smart these aliens were, but I'm assuming that they're pretty intelligent. My chest was starting to hurt.

Her bare feet swiveled about from side to side, like she was making up her mind on which way to go. Suddenly, she picked her right foot up, the closer of the two to us, and slammed it forcefully into the ground. Both the man and I were caught off guard and were quite startled. I got really nervous, not only because of the fact that the giant was angry and was right outside, but because I heard the foundation of the building start to give way a bit. The building moaned slightly from the force of her stomp. I was surprised it held up so way, considering the fact that she was literally right outside.

The two of us were cowering in fear when we heard yet another loud boom. This time it was not her feet. I saw large hunks of debris hit the ground. I assumed she had punched a hole in the building next to ours. I'm just glad it wasn't our building. Unfortunately, it seemed I had spoken too soon. Before we could recollect our thoughts, a gigantic foot came crashing through the bottom of the building we were hiding in on our right. We instantly shrank back and couldn't stifle our screams. Chunks of building came flying in our proximity and nearly hit us. The debris smashed into the opposite wall and weakened that area as well, creating a few holes there. Her foot hadn't left the building after she'd kicked it in, and it stood there menacingly in the wreckage of the building. Her foot stood well over ten feet tall.

The two of us had instinctively huddled together in fear. I don't know about him, but I felt like this was the end. He huge foot was right there and we were surrounded by destruction on all sides. She kept her foot there for a good minute, presumably contemplating whether or not we were in here. Her red toenails looked very dark in the night light, around the same color as the blood on the man's pants. After what seemed like an eternity, the titaness thundered off, leaving the two of us huddled together in the corner of the building, surrounded by rubble. We definitely were not going back to base tonight.
Chapter End Notes:
If you liked it please leave some feedback. Anything is helpful and appreciated.