- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Sorry for the delay. No giantess content in this chapter, sorry. There will be some in the next few, though.

The three of us drew nearer to home. An eagle soared overhead. Amy had stopped crying for the most part, though an occasional sob slipped past and shook her. The snow had let up for the time being. I wasn't sure how much, but I'd guess there were at least 6 inches by now. Somehow my adventure had taken all day, and it was near sunset now. I saw the base only a few hundred feet away, but some graffiti on a nearby wall caught my attention. I'd walked through this area plenty of times before, and I hadn't seen anything like this before. The letter C was drawn in a large ring around two letter F's in the middle. Then the letter S was drawn in front of the F's. It was pretty strange and ambiguous.

We were outside of the base now, but just as we were about to enter, I noticed some more graffiti. It wasn't as extravagant as the last one, but it was just as mysterious and maybe even more frightening. The only thing on the wall was the word "close." I'd gone through this area countless times before, and I had never seen this before. The others didn't seem to take notice, maybe since they hadn't been here before and didn't think it was out of the ordinary.

We entered the store, and I remembered that Derrick was supposed to be in the back room.

"Derrick, it's me," I called out, "you can come out now. It's safe."

No answer.

"Uh, you guys can put your stuff down if you want," I said to the girls. "Derrick is another person I found. He's supposed to be in the other room. I'm gonna check on him."

"Alright," Alison said as the two of them began to get settled in.

I left the girls and headed towards the back. Maybe he was asleep? I had been gone for a while. I turned the corner, but I didn't see him there. I saw a small spot of blood but other than that there was no sign of him.

"Shit," I muttered to myself as I ran back to the girls.

They quickly noticed my panicked actions.

"What's the matter?" Alison asked.

"Derrick," I sputtered out. "He's- he's not there anymore!"

"What do you mean, 'he's not there anymore?'"

"I told him to go in the back room so he could be safe since his leg is hurt, but now he's gone! We need to go find him!"

I started to run for the door but the two girls quickly pulled me back.

"Are you crazy?" Alison shouted.

"We need to find him!" I retorted. "We can't just leave him out there, wherever he is, without us!"

"Joe, it's night time now!" Amy told me. "There are giants everywhere, and they're in their 'aggressive mode' now. Going out there is suicide!"

In my frenzy I'd completely forgotten about the giants. Now that Amy mentioned it, I heard rhythmic boomings with steps from them, and I saw a pair of feet patrolling far down the street. She was right. Going out there now would be asking to be killed.

"You're... you're right," I admitted, defeated. I hated to say it and leave Derrick with whoever, but it just wasn't safe to go look for him. We'd have to wait for tomorrow. I'd gone out too many times and had too many close calls with giants, and I was actually looking forward to not having another encounter with them.

Everyone was in poor spirits. I was distraught over Derrick and the girls seemed like they hadn't gotten fully over Stacy. Everyone got settled in and they began to fall asleep when I remembered when needed watches. I don't know how I forgot.

"Okay, sorry girls, but we can't go to sleep just yet," I began. "We always need someone to be on watch so nothing happens, and it's even more important with Derrick gone. It'll be harder without him, and we don't want to end up like he did, wherever he is. I'll take first watch. Alison, how about you get second and Amy third?"

The girls agreed and went back to bed. I sat on the counter with my gun ready. I was pretty tired and accidentally let my eyelids close from time to time. Nothing noteworthy happened during my shift. The giants did their walking and occasionally woke me up from my light sleep when they stomped close by the store. I eagerly woke Alison up after some time, but I'm not sure how long exactly. I just did it when I thought it was time. Both of us were very tired and didn't make any exchanges. After getting myself in a comfortable position I quickly fell asleep.

I woke up after a few hours and it was early morning. Amy was on watch now, but she didn't look tired. She didn't really seem to be paying attention to the surroundings, but her shift was basically over now anyway. Night was over and there weren't any immediate threats in the area.

"Hey Amy, see anything interesting?" I asked after a long yawn.

"Nothing really," she replied. "Just the giants. I thought I saw someone one move at one point in that building over there, though."

She pointed to a partially destroyed building a bit over halfway down the street. I didn't see any movement, but I didn't immediately dismiss the belief.

"We should be careful, then," I said. "Well, let's wake Alison up and look for Derrick, I guess."

We roused Alison and, after a quick meal, headed out. Somehow I knew he wouldn't have ran away. Firstly, he wouldn't be able, and second, he had no reason to. He wa a probably taken, and if so, well, they could have taken him anywhere. Closer to the Toes? Possible, but it's dangerous living there. Away from them? More likely, but I wasn't sure. I asked the girls for their input.

"I think if he was taken, he's probably closer to the center of the city," Alison said. "I mean, whoever took him would want us to think they went farther away, since that's the logical thing, right? So they might have gone to the center to trick us."

"That's... that's some pretty good thinking," I replied. "I probably would have thought he went the other way and fallen for the bait. I'm glad you're on our side."

With that we started walking towards the Toes. I didn't know exactly where the "center" was, but the Toes are like a landmark and could be considered the center, I guess. As we walked, I tried to make some conversation and change the somber mood, since they seemed to still be brooding over Stacy.

"So, Alison, I know Amy wanted to be a lawyer," I began, "so what about you? What did you want to be?"

"I wanted to be a doctor," she said. "I studied a bit about medicine but I didn't get too far."

"Well, that's good," I replied. "Even if you don't have much knowledge, it's better than nothing. You could be of much assistance in the future if something happened to someone."

"Oh, no, I couldn't do much. I really don't know that much. I'd just make the injury worse instead of helping!"

"Ah, come on. Don't put yourself down. You know way more about medicine than us. If anyone could do anything to help, it'd be you."

"Well, thank you, but I'm not sure I'd be too helpful in helping someone." She smiled and we continued our walk.

We were once again in an area where the destruction became progressively worse as we went on. Buildings went from fully complete to partially destroyed to really destroyed to piles of rubble. Most were only partially destroyed. This looked kind of similar to that place where Derrick and I hid a few nights ago.

Suddenly we heard something none of us had heard in a long time: music. I spun around, gun ready, as did Alison. I listened intently, trying to find the place where it was coming from, but I couldn't discern it. Amy stood there with a fearful expression on her face, while Alison remained stoic.

The music was very odd and somewhat unsettling. It was some sort of classical music, but none I'd ever heard. It sounded like it was coming straight from a music box, like it was straight out of a horror movie. It had to have been from one; phones were long since dead and there was no way to recharge them, since there hadn't been power in many cities for months. It could have been a record player, but they were becoming increasingly uncommon. Anyway, it didn't really matter; what did matter is that there was music being played.

Alison and I began to walk back the way we came for a short while until we came to an intersection. The music seemed louder now. Amy lagged behind. A sudden movement out of the corner of my eye caught my attention. I quickly turned to the left, but saw nothing.

"Did you see that?" I whispered to Alison.

"No, what did you-"

She was cut off by the sound of laughter. Strange, twisted laughter. It was high pitched, but it didn't sound like it came from a little girl like in the horror movies.

"What the hell..." I said, as Amy looked around in distress.

"I heard it, too," Alison said to me. "What did you see?"

"I saw something move, out of the corner of my eye. When I turned around there was nothing there."

"Strange. What's going on here?"

Another movement caught my attention. I turned faster this time, and I saw a shadowy figure dart past a building at the end of the street and out of sight.

"Quick! There!" I shouted.

I began to run to down the street, with the two girls close behind. I explained between breaths what I'd seen.

We reached the end of the street and came to another intersection.

"I saw them go this way," I said, pointing to the left.

The music's volume had decreased, as we had ran away from it. We continued on down the street at breakneck speed. I heard some sort of rustling noise and stopped abruptly, causing the girls to bump into me.

"Why did-" Amy began, but I quickly put my finger to her lip. She stopped and we listened carefully. The rustling had stopped, presumably when we did. We waited for another noise but we only heard our own heavy breathing. Just as we were about to continue I heard some footsteps in a building next to us.

"Go! Go!" I yelled to Alison and Amy.

I darted into the nearby building with my gun ready. There was only one floor and the place was a mess. Papers were all over the floor and chairs were knocked down. There were some broken windows. As I was quickly evaluating the building, I looked at a stack of papers across the room. They were stalled and some of them fell back down into the stack, like a breeze had come through. But there was barely any wind today. Someone had just been through here.

I shouted to the girls to follow me and I jumped out of one of the broken windows. The music was louder now, but it was the same as before. It must have been on a loop or something. That, or someone was repeatedly opening and closing the music box...

I saw the shadowy figure again, this time turning right and dashing past the building. The girls had caught up to me now. I ran down the street again and was about to turn when I heard a thumping noise. I stopped running and turned around. Alison did the same. Amy was lying on the ground on her back. She'd just fallen.

"Shit..." I muttered.

Alison and I ran up to her. She wasn't dead, luckily, just unconscious. What had happened to her? Had she tripped? It didn't look that likely. Her shoes were tied, and there was nothing really in the road that she might have tripped over.

"What happened to her?" I asked Alison.

"I'm... not sure," she replied. "Doesn't look like she fell. She... what's this?"

"What?"

I looked over at where Alison was pointing. She was pointing at her shoulder. A tiny dot, extremely small compared to Alison's finger, was in Amy's shoulder.

"Is that...?"

"A bullet hole?"

If it was, it was a really, really small bullet. What was in it? Poison or something?

I started to grab Amy to carry her when Alison let out a small yelp. She grabbed her head and started to tremble a bit before she finally fell to the ground.

"Shit!" I yelled. I grabbed my gun and stupidly started firing in every direction. I had no idea where the shooter, if there was one, was shooting from. I wasted tons of bullets, but maybe I'd scared them off?

It didn't seem like it. I'd filtered the music out in the confusion, but now it returned, louder than it had been so far. And the laughter came back as well. This time, it was a maniacal and downright terrifying. It rose higher and higher in pitch. I would have been lying if I said I wasn't scared out of my mind.

Suddenly a person appeared at the end of the road, less than 30 feet away from me. I raised my gun and had my finger on the trigger, ready to fire, but I felt a searing pain in the back of my leg. I winced and, out of instinct, grabbed my leg and dropped the gun.

"No, no, no, no, no..." I began to mumble to myself. I dropped the ground, looking for my gun, but my vision had become distorted and my balance was off. I looked back up to see where the figure was and was frightened to see that they'd closed the gap fairly quickly.

I studied the figure well in the few seconds I looked at them. My vision was really messed up, so I couldn't be sure if what I was seeing was true. The figure was a man; I'd figured that out quickly. He was skinny and didn't have clothing. He had a brown ish sort of skin. He had some sort of underwear on, but that was about it for his body. His head, though, was a whole 'nother story.

He wore a lager headdress, complete with feathers and everything. He wore red facepaint in many different patterns so that it looked like it had been put on haphazardly. He had black circles surrounding his eyes, but they also looked like paint. He looked like someone straight out of some sort of tribe.

The music grew even louder now and the man came closer. The mad laughter started up again. It looked like it was coming from the man, but I wasn't sure. I looked back down for my gun but when I did everything became really distorted. My vision started to go black and everything became started to echo. The laughter sounded awful and frightening with the echo on it, and the music creeped me out.

I looked back up at the man. He was standing over me. In his left hand he held what looked like some sort of blunt weapon. I backed up instinctually but he followed me. Through my almost completely black vision, I saw him raise up his weapon and slash it across his body. Then my vision went completely black.
Chapter End Notes:
If you like it or have some feedback please leave a review!