- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
I experimented a bit with this chapter and the whole plot of it. You might like it or you might hate it. I'm not sure.

I woke up with a jump. I was being dragged uncomfortably by my arms. Two large men were holding on to them and dragging me on the ground. When they noticed I had waken, they jerked me up to my feet and forced me to walk. Ahead of me was Amy, in the same situation as me. I looked behind and saw Alison suffering the same fate as us. I felt a painful sensation in the side of my neck and turned back around. The man on my right had punched me, hard.

"Keep looking forward," he commanded. I didn't need any further encouragement.

We were in a pretty run down part of the city. The buildings were not in good condition, and there were numerous cracks all throughout the road. I had no idea what was going on. I looked at my captors out of the corner of my eye so as not to let them know I was looking. They looked similar to the man I'd seen earlier. They both wore matching headdresses. The feathers seemed to be from an eagle, but I wasn't sure. Unlike the first man, however, they wore quite a bit of bulky clothing. It looked like tactical gear, like something soldiers might have worn. It was all gray. They had matching red face paint like the first man as well.

Other than the sound of our own footsteps and an occasional bird chirp, everything was pretty quiet. Our captors remained stone faced, showing no emotion. We walked onward for a time that probably seemed longer than it was. The man on Amy's left side looked back towards me. He was smaller in stature than the other men I'd seen so far. His face showed no emotion at first, but then it changed. For a few seconds it displayed something else, something I couldn't quite put my finger on. Guilt? Remorse? Fear? I didn't know. As quickly as his face had shown something it changed back into its stoic form.

Besides the man turning around and the peculiar exchange, nothing noteworthy happened on our walk. I was beginning to feel tired when we turned a corner and I saw a large, wooden barricade. There were some makeshift towers situated between two buildings. The whole structure spanned the entire length of the street. There were men situated in the towers, presumably guards. My first thought was that it looked oddly similar to some sort of prison.

Large, wooden gates were opened by the guards as we drew nearer. On a board right above the entrance, scrawled in black paint, were the words "The Ring." We passed through the doors and inside the place looked very different from a prison. It looked like a mini city.

The buildings already there were being used as homes for the residents. In the streets were some different stalls being used as shops. People were milling about, shopping and chatting. To my surprise, no one really payed us much attention. There weren't that many people, but the place had a considerable number of occupants.There were some other newly made structures, including what looked like a town hall and a place for food.

Taking in the surroundings was a short lived event, as we were forcefully motioned to start walking again, this time to our right. We were led at a brisk pace and after a short distance were turned to our right again. I knew what ever we had been taken here for wasn't good, but now I had a good idea of what we were in store for. A building stood alone in front of us. It was unlike most of the others, as it was made of stronger materials like bricks and possibly metal. We were lead into the place, and a crude sign let us know that this was the "town" jail.

The interior was a dull shade of brownish red. It must have been the bricks. Inside there were a few cells with the iconic metal barricade door. Unfortunately, we were not the place's only prisoners. In a cell by himself sat Derrick. He was slunched over and didn't look too well. Neither of us were happy to see each other, as now we both were suffering.

Alison, Amy and I were shoved into different cells, but at least the four of us were next to each other. I was in the furthest fell from the door, with Derrick on my right. The place was pretty well made, but there weren't any walls between the cells. They were just squares put next to each other, so we could all easily see into the cell next door. Maybe they didn't have enough resources.

"No talking and do as you're told," one of the men who had brought us here told us. We nodded our heads in tacit agreement.

"Trent, you stay here on watch for now," another man said.

The smaller man who'd looked back at me sat down in the only chair outside of the cells. His comrades walked out. He must be Trent.

With nothing to do, and not wanting to risk punishment by talking, I sat on the small wooden bench that was in the cell. It was a much preferable alternative to the floor. The five of us sat in silence for a while. The four of us were too scared to talk and Trent had nothing to reprimand us for.

The jail had no windows, but I could see out the door, since the men hadn't closed it when they left. I saw people performing their day to day tasks like they would have just two years ago. It was like they had rebuilt a tiny part of civilization here. It was almost normal. Almost. Something just seemed off. I looked away from the door and turned my attention back towards the jail. On the wall to my left I saw a wooden board hammered to the wall. There was writing on it, which was very ambiguous and ominous. At the top it just said "SP" and below it was a list of names and dates. I didn't really have any clue as to what it was.

"You know what you guys are here for?" Trent said suddenly, startling us. None of us spoke but we shook our heads. Then he whispered. "Well, I'm not supposed to tell you guys, so don't tell anyone I told you.

"I hate to say it, but you guys are here as a-"

One of the men from before busted into the room and Trent stopped talking.

"Yes?" He asked the man.

"We got news that she's coming today. They need you over at the headquarters."

"What? She isn't due till Sunday'!"

"That's correct. We don't know why, but she has decided to come early. The Sacrifice will still happen Sunday, but she will be here today."

My heart skipped a beat and I got all tense. The Sacrifice? That couldn't be good. Why were we here, then? Are we the Sacrifice? My mind raced and I started to sweat.

"How long till she's here, so you think?" Trent asked, seemingly a little worried.

"We were told just a few minutes ago, so we expect her to be here within 15 minutes. Now, head over to headquarters. I'll stay here."

Trent ran his hand through his hair and left the jail. The man who replaced him did not seem as hospitable as Trent. He didn't say anything to us and instead read a magazine. Why? I wasn't sure. Maybe it was Playboy or something like that, as there was no news published anymore.

My mind ran through hundreds of different thoughts about what Trent and the man had said. I was frightened. Whatever the Sacrifice was, it was happening Sunday. Why would we be here, other than for it? The others seemed to be distressed as well.

A slight rumbling interrupted my thoughts. The man with the magazine noticed it as well. It slowly became more powerful as the giant neared our position. This must've been the woman he mentioned earlier. The volume of the booms rose as well. People were shouting in the street. They just not have heard the news.The whole jail shook violently and suddenly it stopped. She was probably standing still now. Maybe she was right outside the entrance. For whatever reason she was here, it could not be good. The man with the magazine got up and left us alone. I looked out through the door and saw people panicking as the men with the tactical gear tried to calm them.

This whole ordeal went on for a few minutes, and eventually Trent ran back into the jail. He was out of breath and it took him a minute to gain it back.

"You can talk," he said in between breaths.

"What the hell is going on?" Derrick blurted out.

"I thought you'd ask that," he replied. "Look, don't be mad at me. I don't want to do this to you guys, and I don't really want to be here either. But it offers a lot and I can't leave safely."

"Just tell us what's happening!"

"Okay! These people, they're crazy. I can't get out of here. It looks nice, but reall, it's not. The giant comes here once a week. I don't know how it started, but now every week they choose someone as a sacrifice to the giant. It lets us all live for another week."

"And who is going to be sacrificed?" I asked.

"Prisoners are sacrificed before any citizens are. I'm sorry. I don't know what there is to do."

We were all shocked. No one spoke. Amy began to sob, understandably. Was one of us really going to die Sunday?

"Trent...why is she here already?" Alison asked in a small voice.

"I'm not sure. She doesn't seem happy, though. Hopefully she won't take her anger out on us."

One of the men came back, this time with some food. We were all hungry and grateful. We were each given a meager amount of what looked like chicken. Maybe they had some sort of farm here. I can't speak for the others, as I didn't pay much attention, but I wolfed my food down. It hadn't even been a day since I'd eaten, but I was starving. The little food we had wasn't enough. Preoccupied with the food, I'd failed to notice that Trent had left once again and been replaced by someone else. We all sat in silence, contemplating our futures. If what Trent said was true, and it almost surely was, one of us would not make it. Who would they choose? Even worse, what if they made us choose? Who would we choose? I didn't want to think about it.

I lay down on the bench and closed my eyes for a bit. After a bit I sat back up and Trent returned one final time. He brought some food with him.

"I know you guys didn't have enough to eat so I got you a little more," he said. "Eat it quick and give the plate back to me so they don't know."

We did as he said, grateful for the extra food.

"Are you like this with all the prisoners?" Derrick asked.

Trent stood silently for a minute before answering. "No, but I was never particularly cruel to them, like some of the others. I decided I'll try to help as much as I can without them knowing. It's only right."

We finished our meals and handed back the plates. As he was about to leave, I stopped him.

"Wait! Trent!"

He stopped and turned. "Yes?"

"When is Sunday?"

"Tomorrow."

With that, he left the building and closed the door. So that settled it. Was one of us really going to be sacrifice tomorrow? I pushed the thought out of my head and tried to get a good night's rest, but sleep didn't come easily, and whenever I fell asleep I awoke again within an hour. It was one of the worst nights I've had in a while.
Chapter End Notes:
What would you like to see happen next? I had one plan for the base but it seems like people might not like it that much.