- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Okay. I have two potential paths for this story so far. My initial idea didn't seem that good after reading some reviews about what people thought would happen next. So I'm letting the readers determine where the story goes. Path 2 was my initial idea. Up until Path 1 is the same for both. If you want to choose please do so in a review.

If you didn't read the chapter notes, I highly suggest you do.

"Get up."

A harsh voice commanded the four of us to rouse from our sleep. It definitely wasn't Trent. It was one of our original captors, complete with their gray gear.

We got up and saw that there were multiple other men adorned in the same fashion as the man who woke us. We were let out of our cells and led out to the town center, where most of the stalls were. A large crowd had already gathered. Men, women and children all look at us with different emotions. I saw a woman look disgusted, a man look grateful and another look scared. I would have been like the second man: if we were truly getting sacrificed, and I was that man, then that would be I wasn't dying today, and I'd be happy.

"Okay, everyone, settle down," one of the soldiers said to the crowd as he pulled off his mask. His features were just like the man's voice earlier: rough and harsh. His eyes matched his clothing and his short cropped hair made him look like a real solider.

The crowd's chatter died down to hushed and murmurs before silencing completely.

"Alright everyone, it's that time of the week again," he began. "We're very lucky that we have these four here who are doing us a great favor. They are laying down our lives so we don't have to. Now, you're probably wondering why we've gathered you here, right? Well, we would like to present you with a choice.

"We, the scouts and soldiers, have already eliminated two of these four from being sacrificed today. As you all know, this is a rough world, and only the strong survive. Even though we have only a short time to observe them, we have found that these two are more able bodied than the others, and as such will not be sacrificed today."

He came over to the four of us and chose the two that were "stronger." He put his left hand on Alison's shoulder and led her forward. I heard her let out a relieved sigh. Then he came back to bring forward the other. He looked us all in the eye, smiling the whole time, feigning compassion and kindness. I closed my eyes, not wanting to see this whole thing down.

I felt a heavy hand set down on my shoulder. I opened my eyes, bewildered.

"C'mon, son. Today's not your day," he whispered to me.

In a daze I stepped forward next to Alison. I should have been relieved. I wasn't going to die today. Is that not call for celebration?

Behind me I heard muffled sobs from Amy. I turned around. Amy was a mess. Derrick stood there stoically.

"These two, in the back, show qualities that do not make them as able bodied as these two," the man said, gesturing at us. "Please, you two in the back, step forward."

Before they even had a chance to follow his order two soldiers were on them, grabbing their arms and pulling them forward.

"As you can see here, the man, is lame. His leg has restricted him greatly thus far. And the woman, well... she does not have a physical defect, but rather an emotional one. She does not seem able to... keep her calm and may often give in to her emotions."

At this Amy started crying more heavily; if this was it for her, why hold back? A slight tremor caught my attention as well as some others'. The talking man, the commander, I presumed, arched an eyebrow but didn't stop his speech.

"And the choice we ask of you, our people, is which one?"

All at once the crowd began shouting and yelling, calling out their choice for the sacrifice. I felt bad for Amy and Derrick. One of them was going to die, that much was obvious, but this was just humiliating. I heard cruel remarks from in the crowd directed at both of them. Apparently prisoners were really disliked here. Both of their names were shouted a lot, but it seemed that Amy's was being yelled more.

"Okay, okay, everyone, please calm down," the commander shouted. "We are finding it very hard to get a good count of what everyone is saying. How about we do it like this: a show of hands? Who wants the man?"

Many hands shot up, and I heard someone counting to my right while another furiously scribbled something down.

"Alright, thank you. Now, who wants the girl?"

Again, many hands shot up, and it seemed like it was more than before, although I couldn't be sure. The same scene occurred on my right. The man who'd been writing waved his hand, beckoning for the commander to come over. I heard some whispering between them but I couldn't make out what they were saying. After a bit more discussion, the commander took the notebook and returned to his speaking position.

"Okay, everyone. This is the moment you've been waiting for. It was a close one," the commander said, smiling. "Very close. However, it seems that one of them was chosen slightly more than the other. The one who will be sacrificed today is the girl."

I heard a small outburst from Amy before she was drowned out by the roar of the crowd. I looked back and saw Amy being comforted by one of the soldiers. Derrick still showed little emotion, but the relief on his face was clear. Next to me, Alison cried a little. Her and Amy had been friendsfor who knows how long, and she just watched her best friend get sentenced to death. Me? I couldn't deny I was glad it wasn't me, and I was glad it wasn't Derrick, either. I still didn't want to see her die, though. She was a nice girl.

The commander walked back to Amy, and I could hear what he was saying to her, although with a little difficulty.

"I'm sorry this had to happen to you," he said to her. "I know it must be hard, but it's for the good of everyone else."

"It's not fair!" Amy bawled. "Why me? This is sick!"

"It's what the people chose," he said matter of factly. "Now, c'mon, we don't want to keep her waiting any longer."

Path 1

Amy was led out of the walls by some soldiers. I thought it was over, that she'd be sacrificed and we'd be put in our cells. I wasn't entirely wrong; I just didn't think they'd make us watch it.

"What the hell? Are you crazy?" Derrick yelled. "I'm not watching that shit!"

"Commander's orders," a solider said.

He was grabbed by two soldiers, as were Alison and I. We were led out of the walls. Amy was already ahead of us, putting up quite the fight against the soldiers. We were around 50 feet behind them.

We walked for about 200 feet before we turned to the left and there she was. The giant. Amy wriggled around, trying to free the men's grip, but to no avail. They held on to her with an iron grip. The soldiers holding us held on but left us behind Amy.

The commander came from behind us and then stepped between Amy and us.

"I know you're wondering why I brought you here," he said. "I know it must be hard for you, but you need to know what it's like. What you need to do when it's your turn."

He turned to the soldiers holding Amy.

"Alright, men. Let's begin."

The soldiers walked forward the giant's feet. They got around 10 feet away before stopping. They simultaneously released her arms and stepped about five feet away.

Like everyone there expected, Amy immediately bolted away but she barely got anywhere before she was grabbed and brought back. She repeated this a few times before the soldiers were forced to bring her right in front of the giant's toe.

Amy trembled before the toe that dwarfed her. The three of them stood there, mere feet away from it. I wondered how the giant would know which one to kill. The soldiers were masked, so she couldn't recognize their faces. Maybe it was their suits. That had to be it.

The giant looked down, blonde hair covering her face because of gravity. She raised her large toe overhead. Any stood there, fixated on it. The giant's toe lowered slowly, as if the giant were trying to get it in just the right position. It then stopped suddenly, and then rapidly came down with great force. Unlike Stacy, I couldn't hear the individual bones crack. I only heard the boom of her toe coming down. I was glad it was over quickly, but nevertheless I shuddered at the sight. Alison let out a small shriek. Derrick winced. Just like that, it was over.

The giant picked up her foot and rubbed her thumb over her toe. Just like with Stacy, her red nail polish matched the small dot on the underside of her toe. She set her foot down with a small thud. She stood there for a minute, doing nothing. I was afraid she was going to stomp on us all. She could easily have done it right then. The soldiers must have been confident that she wouldn't, as none of them seemed worried and none were even armed.

The giant did nothing after standing there for whatever reason and stomped away down the road to who knows where. The soldiers lessened their grips on my arm and led us back to the town, with the three of us in poor spirits.

The commander took note of this.

"I know you must be upset because of your friend," he said to us. "But think of it this way. She died so we could live to the next week. If it wasn't for her, maybe you would be dead now."

If he was trying to comfort us, it didn't work. No one said anything as we were led back to our jail cells. Trent said they'd put us to work tomorrow; anything was better than being in this cell with nothing but the images of our friend being crushed right in front of us. I hoped he was right. This place was getting worse as time went on.

Path 2

Struggling and crying, Amy was led out of the town and past the walls. Once she had gotten out of sight, we were led back to our cells.

"You know the rules," a soldier said to us under his concealing mask. "No talking and don't try anything funny."

At least they had the decency not to make us watch Amy die. Surprisingly, the soldier exited the room and left us on our own. Still, we didn't want to talk, in case someone was secretly watching us and waiting for us to do something wrong.

Another tremor snapped me out of my thought, this one a bit more powerful than the one I'd heard before the crowd chose who to sacrifice. Was that it? Had the giant killed Amy already, and I was hearing her foot making contact with the ground? It couldn't have been. They'd barely left and it felt a bit too loud for the giant's size.

The door, having been left open by the soldier again, gave me a good view of what was going on in the town. People were running about and I heard some screaming, though not too much. Some were running through the street with backpacks and other gear packed away. I thought this was all pretty strange.

A third tremor, much more powerful than the previous one, shook the flimsy jail about. I heard more screams in the streets and people were really starting to run amok. I looked over at Derrick. He'd dropped the stoic look and replaced it with one of fear. Alison looked pretty similar to Derrick.

Feeling brave, I decided to speak to my fellow inmates. The people were loud and it'd be hard for a soldier to hear me. Besides, they were probably more occupied with the people anyway.

"What the hell is going on?"

"You think I know?" Derrick retorted, and I couldn't help but laugh. Something about the way he said it was funny to me.

"I don't know, I just thought maybe someone might."

As it so happened, someone did know. Trent came running into the jail, seemingly looking for something.

"Trent!" I shouted. "What's going on?"

"Hurry... big one... gotta go," he said between breaths.

"Huh?"

"Trent, let us out!" Alison screamed.

Trent looked up, out of breath. He looked like he really did not want to open up and like he wanted to get out of here as fast as possible. After a short time thinking, he grabbed the keys off the wall and started to let us out.

He dropped the keys from the force of the forth tremor. As expected, it was evenmore powerful than its predecessors and it shook the small building.
Some debris fell from the ceiling.

Trent scrambled to pick up the keys and free us. He opened the cages one by one, starting with me. We thanked him once free, but he didn't stay around long. He bolted out of the building, forgetting whatever he'd come in for in the first place.

We follows him through the street, past small stalls and through little alleyways. Most people hadn't left the area and still milled about, not sure what to do. We dodged past them in a mad dash to anywhere but here.

I looked back and saw what had been causing the tremors. Now Trent's words made sense.

It was a giant, of course, but not just any giant. It was one of the big ones. The ones a mile tall. I'd only encountered one before, and that was on the very first day, one I'm very lucky to have survived. I couldn't see her whole body, just a long, long leg in the distance.

The four of us ran through the back ways out of the town. We were only a few dozen feet from the town. I dared to look back again and heard a moaning sound. Her leg was moving. Suddenly an intense scream and bang was heard all throughout the town. The giant's enormous foot crashed clear through one of the tiny buildings in comparison to her. It then proceeded to crash through dozens more, obliterating almost the entire town. Her foot rubbed close to the ground, clipping anyone in its path and immediately killing them. Black toenails might have been the last thing many people saw.

Debris rained down on whoever was still alive inside the place. There was too much to run from, as basically whole buildings fell upon them. The sound from all the creaking and collapsing buildings was overwhelming. The town was ruined.The giant's foot set down with a resounding thud that shook the ground and knocked us to our knees. I saw a colossal sole speed past though the air, far away from the town. It was caked with debris and parts of buildings. The other foot likely looked the same, just filled with insane amounts of blood.

In less than 30 seconds, and just by walking, the giant had completely demolished the town. Trent suggested we go back to try and help anyone and look for anything to salvage. We had, after all, lost all of our belongings to this woman.

We trudged back through debris that littered the streets. Entire mounds of rubble and support beams was not uncommon. We arrived at considerably larger mounds and could only assume this was what the town used to be. That's almost all there was: piles upon piles of debris. There weren't many bodies, just red spots on the ground. Every so often we'd come across an arm or leg sticking out from underneath tons of wreckage. I was nearly sick from all this death and destruction.

"There's nothing left," I said after some time. "Everything's destroyed. We can't salvage anything."

"There has to be something," Trent said. "Look, in that building. It's in good condition."

By good condition he met not a pile of debris. Half of the place was gone. The entire interior was exposed and I could see some sort of chest. I inspected it and inside found a backpack, along with some food and water. Barely enough for four people, but it was better than nothing.

"Wh-where's Amy?" Alison asked quietly after I had returned.

That... was a good question. I hadn't thought about that. She was probably dead. The giant was huge and very hard to avoid. We were lucky we had. Then again, since she was so big, each step had more room in between. Maybe, if Amy was lucky, she had been in between her feet and not had been crushed.

I voiced these thoughts to the group and Derrick asked what we should do now.

"Do we leave now without her or go looking for her, even though she might not be there?"

"We have to look," Alison replied immediately.

"I hate to say it, but she's probably dead," Trent said. "No use in looking for her then. We could get out of here and somewhere safer sooner if left now."

"I can't just leave my friend like that!" Alison yelled.

"Fine. We can wait her for her, but only for an hour. Then we're leaving."

Alison accepted this proposition. The three of them sat on a nearly destroyed support beam while I searched in vain for any more supplies.

After an hour, and with no sign of Amy, we reluctantly left the decimated town. Alison cried a bit as she left her friend. We had no idea where to go and just walked on and on. Anywhere was in better condition than this place. Well, maybe not right by the Toes, but this place was in really bad condition. No one said anything as we walked away from the complete and total destruction of the town and away from Amy.