- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
I tried to go for character development in this chapter.

Henry was rocked back and forth as Isabel stomped along. Although he trustees her a bit more, he couldn't deny he was scared to be away from home and alone with her.

In the distance Henry saw The Towering Tops, the largest mountains in the kingdom. He'd heard about them, but never actually seen them in person. They were really big, and grew in size as Isabel rapidly approached them. Henry had conflicted emotions when he found out that they were only half of Isabel's size. She easily stepped over them and continued on her walk, not caring about them. Henry watched in awe as they left the mountain on the distance. Henry knew she was big, but he hadn't know she was twice the size of the largest mountain around.

Henry sat in Isabel's palm watching the landscape whiz by when the suddenly stopped.

"What is it, Isabel?" Henry asked her.

"It's another village," she replied. "Maybe we-er, you- should check it out. Besides, I think we are far enough away from the soldiers back in town."

Henry agreed and Isabel walked around the backside of the village, looking for a place to put him down. Again Henry marveled at her sheer size. It looked to him she could easily crush the whole village with one step and plenty of room to spare. Henry shuddered at the thought and pushed it to the back of his head.

Isabel found a spot fairly far away from the village that was safe for him. It would take him quite some time to walk over to the village from here, but Isabel was one step ahead of him. Although they were far from the town, she extended her hand hundreds of feet and brought him right to the edge of the village. She gently set him down, careful not to destroy any buildings.

"Okay, Isabel," Henry began. "What am I actually here for?"

"Hmm.." she pondered. "Ask them if anyone knows about Beatrice."

"Will do," Henry replied and Isabel smiled. Her huge smile made Henry feel warm inside. She was a really compassionate person and seemed just like a normal person, if not for her size.

Henry walked into the town, examining its wooden huts and frightened citizens. Henry saw the town bar straight ahead and decided it would be a good place to get some information.

He walked inside the shabby bar and almost immediately people were on their feet. Henry was caught by surprise and was considering leaving when a man grabbed him and pulled him towards the center of the bar. A large crowd gathered around.

"You listen here, man," he said, his alcohol ridden breath washing all over Henry. "You and your giant girl better leave here, or else."

"We don't mean any harm!" Henry stammered. "We just want to know if you know who Beatrice is! And besides, if you did anything to me, I don't think she'd take very kindly to that."

The man looked up and let go of Henry. "You're right," he said. "I'm sorry. Let's pretend that didn't happen, okay?"

"Alright. Now, does anyone hear know anything about 'Beatrice?'"

"Beatrice?" Someone else called out. "There's hundreds of Beatrices. Which one are you looking for?"

"Uh," Henry mumbled. "I'm-I'm not sure. Let me ask her."

Henry left the bar and confronted Isabel.

"Did you learn anything? They're not giving you any trouble, are they?" She asked him when he returned.

"No and no," he answered. "They said there are hundreds of Beatrices. Which one are you looking for?"

"Uh, I don't know her last name, but I think she's a witch or something. Tell them that."

"They probably already heard you, but okay."

Henry returned to the bar and have them the information.

"Witches?" Someone in the back laughed. "Witches ain't real."

"That's true," someone else said, "but I thought the same thing about giants, and look what we have here!"

"Well, I never heard of any witches before, and most definitely none around here."

"Sorry, pal."

Henry went to leave, but then he stopped at the door.

"Could I have a drink, bartender?" He asked.

The bartender, a gruff man in his 40s, got him a beer from off a shelf and poured it into a mug.
"That'll be 5 coins," he said.

Henry rummaged through his pockets and came up with the money. He handed it over and slurped his drink. The crowd had since dispersed and everyone had returned to their usual activities.

As Henry was drinking, the bartender leaned over to him.

"You're looking for a witch, right?" He whispered.

"I guess so," Henry replied. "Why? You know one?"

I might, if I had 5 more coins."

"C'mon. You're gonna do this to me? How can I even trust you?"

"Believe me, I know. You gonna pay or not?"

Henry looked through his pockets and only came up with 3 coins.

"I only have this much," he said, defeated.

"Does that look like five to you?"

"Come on. That's not enough? Just tell me what you know."

"Five or I'm not telling."

"Damn you."

Henry slammed his cup down and left the bar, angry. He walked up to Isabel, who had another big smile on her face.

"Did you learn anything?" She inquired.

"One man said he knew where a witch was."

"And?"

"He wanted five coins. I don't have that much."

Isabel angrily slammed her fist down, rocking the whole town and knocking Henry off his feet.

"Who?" She asked him, clearly annoyed.

"Th-the bartender," Henry replied, frightened.

"Stay here."

Some people had left the bar when Isabel slammed her hand down, but the majority hadn't. Isabel used her other hand and reached over to the bar. She used two fingers and effortlessly pulled off the bar's roof.

"Which one of you is the bartender?" She asked the people. Her voice sounded cold, but not exactly mean.

Everyone pointed the man behind the counter, who froze in fear. Isabel grabbed the tiny man between two fingers and lifted him into the air.

Henry watched in fear and amazement as Isabel stared directly at the bartender, who squirmed and writhed inbetween her fingers.

Her hazel eyes focused on the little bartender like a hawk's, looking straight at him. Henry saw the man's expression change from intrepid to downright terrified.

"Five coins for you to tell my friend where this witch is? What's wrong with you?" Isabel spat.

"I'm-I'm sorry, ma'am," Henry heard the bartender sputter.

"Why would you charge him for that?"

"I-I don't know, miss. I'm-I'm sorry!"

"Just tell me where this witch is."

"I-I don't know, miss! I don't know where this witch is!"

Isabel was actually angry now.

"You lied to him? Just to get his money?"

"I'm sorry, miss! I won't do it again!"

"You know, it's taking a lot of willpower not to just crush you right now. You're lucky I'm a nice girl, otherwise you might be paste."

"Y-yes, ma'am!"

Isabel put the bartender down back in the bar, where everyone else was still standing. They had been too terrified to try and run.

Isabel looked back at Henry, who in turn looked at her in horror. That wasn't even a true display of her power, and it had scared everyone in the town beyond belief.

"What's wrong, Henry?" She asked, concerned.

"You-you almost killed that man!" He blurted out.

"I was never going to kill him! I just wanted him to tell me where the witch was."

"You said it was taking all your willpower not to kill him!"

"I..." Isabel stopped for a moment, wondering what to say next. "I just wanted to scare him, that's all. I'm sorry I scared you."

Isabel grabbed Henry and lifted him up into her hand, once again showing her power over him.

"I'm sorry," she said gently to him, rubbing his head with her finger.

Henry calmed down a bit. He was glad that she was on his side and wouldn't try to harm him... right? She wouldn't threaten Henry like that, would she?

"C'mon, let's get out of here."

Isabel got to her feet, shaking the earth. Structures wobbled and rocked back and forth, but Isabel paid no heed.

After walking in silence, and after a lot of stroking from Isabel, Henry felt the courage to ask her what he'd been wanting to ever since she'd picked him up.

"Isabel?" He asked.

"Hmm?" She looked down at the minute man in her expansive palm and smiled.

"Uh, can I ask you something?"

"Of course!"

"Why me?"

"What do you mean?" She asked with a puzzled expression.

"When you picked me up, back at my village? Why'd you choose me?"

"Well, you were one of the first I saw. And I saw that you were scared. So I wanted you to know that you didn't need to be. Then I picked you up and then the soldiers attacked me, so I left. And you just happened to be in my hand when I did. So... oh, I'm sorry! I just brought you along without even asking. You probably want to go back home, don't you? I'm sorry!"

"No!"

Isabel looked down at him, slightly confused.

"I mean, I don't mind being with you. It's nice. And I don't want to go back and pay my rent to the baron. You saved me from that, so I guess I have to thank you for that." He chuckled.

Isabel continued her walk to who knows where. Henry looked down at her feet as she walked. After each step he would look back at her footsteps. They were huge, probably hundreds of feet long. And they made deep depressions in the ground, probably changing the landscape forever. For the nth time that day, Henry marveled at Isabel's power and size.

"Hey, Isabel?" He asked her again.

"Yes?"

"What exactly are you looking for? Where are we going?"

"I'm looking for a witch to help me."

"Help you with what? You could probably do anything at this size!"

"Exactly. I want to be normal."

Henry was taken aback. "Normal? What's wrong with the way you are now?"

Isabel looked down at Henry, a bit upset. "Look at me! I'm a monster!"

"No, you're not! You're-you're wonderful!"

"No, I'm not! I'm huge! Everywhere I go people are afraid of me. People always attack me and no one ever listens to me, unless I scare them into it. No one thinks I have any emotions or feel anything. And everywhere I go all I do is destroy stuff! I ruined that person's home in your village, I ruined the bar and I've ruined so many other things in the past!"

"You're not a monster! People just don't understand you!"

"Exactly! Everyone misunderstands me and thinks I'm an evil monster out to kill them, and I'm not! I just want to be normal, like you."

Isabel let a few tears roll down her check. One happened to land in the hand holding Henry. It crashed into her palm powerfully. It was multiple times his size and when it landed, water went everywhere, including on Henry. He was completely drenched, much worse than he was when he spilled the bucket on himself. But he dared not complain, especially when Isabel was in such a state.

"Isabel, listen to me," he said, trying to console her. I know people misunderstand you, but they don't know you. You're a kind, sweet woman. I know you don't mean any harm to anyone and you can't help your size or what you do accidentally. That house wasn't your fault, and the bar was understandable. But it's not all bad. People always will listen to what you say."

"Yeah, only because they know I could squish them easily!" She cried. "Everyone is always afraid of me. How would you like it if everyone was always scared of you? Even you're scared of me! I saw it when I was talking with the bartender!"

"I'm-I'm sorry, Isabel."

"Why are you scared of me?"

"Because... you're so big and you-you could hurt me," Henry reluctantly answered, and as soon as he had, he knew he'd messed up.

"Exactly!" Isabel screamed. "You're scared of me because I'm so big! Everyone is!" Isabel had long since stopped her walk, and she sat down with an earthshaking plop. Dozens of trees were likely crushed beneath her.

"Isabel, I'm-I'm sorry..." Henry muttered. And he knew she was right. He was afraid of her, quite a bit. And he most definitely was now. She was likely mad at him, and he was afraid of having a nearly 7 mile tall woman mad at him. She could easily crush him to a pulp, and he knew she knew this is why everyone was so afraid of her.

"I'm sorry, Isabel," Henry repeated. Isabel sobbed heavily now, flooding the surround trees she hadn't crushed with much too much water. The force of her tears swept many of them away, but she did not notice.

Henry was running out of options and had very few ideas as to how to console her. He did the only thing he thought might help and got to his knees and kissed her palm. It was remarkable how she could feel his insignificant, nearly microscopic mouth on her giant palm.

Henry noticed a very brief respite in her crying after he kissed her hand, and he immediately did it again.

"What are you doing?" Isabel asked, letting out a small laugh.

"Uh... I kissed your hand," he answered nervously.

Isabel giggled again. "Why?"

"I don't know. I thought it might help you feel better.

"Aw, thank you." Isabel brought her hand up to her face and then to her mouth. She kissed Henry ever so gently with her huge red lips. Henry had never been so close to her mouth and as a result was frightened from the new experience. He felt guilty for feeling fear.

"I'm sorry, Henry." Isabel said softly.

"For what?"

"For crying and for blaming you. I shouldn't have done that." Isabel wiped away a few tears.

"You see? You're a great person. You didn't do anything wrong, and yet you apologize to me."

Isabel smiled at him, showing her white teeth. "You're so nice to me, Henry. You're the only one who's ever cared about me."

"Well, it's everyone else's loss. I'm glad I'm getting to know you."

Isabel brought Henry to her mouth and kissed him again. The sudden action scared Henry a little, and again he felt bad about it.

"Henry, please be honest with me. We're you scared when I kissed you?"

"Yes." Henry looked away from her, ashamed. She had been crying because of Henry's and others' fear of her, and he went and told her that he was afraid of her.

"Henry, please, don't be afraid of me. You don't have any reason to be. I'd never hurt you. You know that, right?" Isabel sniffled.

"I know. And that's why you're so wonderful. I'm sorry."

"Apology accepted," Isabel smiled. She noisily got up from her sitting position. She began to continue her trek but stopped shortly after.

"Oh, look what I've done!" She exclaimed. "I spent so long crying and complaining that now it's night."

"It's fine, Isabel," Henry said. "I don't mind. Really."

"We should go to bed, so we can be well rested for tomorrow."

Henry agreed and Isabel stomped over to a fairly open space, one that was nearly large enough to contain her. They must have been on some sort of plain if they had all this room without any towns popping up.

Isabel plopped down with great force and rolled on to her back. She placed Henry down right in front of her breasts and smiled at him.

"Is this a good spot to sleep?" She asked him.

Henry eyed her enormous breasts. They were like small mountains in comparison to him.

"Uh, it would be great, except I don't think it's the safest," he replied.

"Oh! Silly me. I know you'd love to sleep there," she said, winking, "but you're right. If I turned over, who knows what could happen to you? How about my hand? Would that be okay?"

"It's fine with me."

Isabel picked up Henry between her fingers and placed him in his usual spot in her hand. She positioned herself so her palm would be facing upwards and Henry could easily lie down.

"Thank you, Isabel!" He said to her.

"Anytime, Henry. Goodnight!"

"Goodnight, Isabel!"

Henry placed his head down on her warm skin and closed his eyes, drifting off into sleep easily in the comfort and safety of her hand.
Chapter End Notes:
Please leave feedback if you enjoyed!