- Text Size +
King George reclined in his leather throne, rubbing his large stomach. He'd just finished a large meal of steak and potatoes. In his eyes, truly a meal fit for a king.

Suddenly the huge double doors burst open and a low ranking advisor came running in.

"Did you find the source of them damn earthquakes?" The King asked his advisor.

"Yes, my lord," the young man replied. "Our scouts say they seem to be coming from, well... a woman."

"A woman?" King George laughed. "You know I like jokes, John, but now's not the time. Good one, though."

"My lord, I'm not joking. They said it's coming from a woman."

This repetition, along with John's serious mug, made George feel a bit uneasy.

"Well, how can this be so? How can a woman cause these earthquakes?"

"They say she is a giant, my lord. Miles tall."

John's expression never faltered and he showed the upmost concern. The King was reluctantly starting to believe him.

"How can this be? Giants aren't real."

"They must be, my lord. Our scouts say they've seen her in the flesh, up close and personal. And they're have been reports of a giant woman roaming the countryside as well."

"If this is true, then I want all the soldiers ready to fight. What has she done so far to my land?"

"She stepped on a house in a small village and has left large footprints wherever she has walked."

"So she destroyed some of my land, eh? That's how it's gonna be?"

The King stroked his beard, pondering on what he should do next. As hard as it was to believe, this woman was a real threat. Miles tall? She could easily crush, well, anything. What could he do? Sending his men out would be a suicide mission, by what other choice did he have?

"John, tell the general to ready the troops. I want at least half of the force on the move towards her and prepared to take her down. The others should be ready to mobilize whenever the time arises."

"Of course, my lord," John replied with a bow. "I'll get right to it."

John quickly left the room, leaving the King alone.

"No one destroys my land and gets away with it," he said to himself. "We'll take her down, one way or another."

--------------

Henry awoke, still in Isabel's soft hand. He didn't move around much, even though he felt like getting up. He knew Isabel was sensitive and would feel his minuscule feet walking about, and he didn't want to disturb her rest. He looked at her huge fingers curled slightly. Where had she gotten that gray nail polish from? How has she applied it? How much did it take? All these questions floated through his mind, but he debated on asking her or not. He didn't want to offend her or have her take it in the wrong way.

Henry turned around and saw two colossal, green brown eyes looking right at him. They stared with warmth and consideration. Isabel broke into a grin and let out a "small" giggle.

"You're just so cute!" She boomed. "You're so small in my hand."

"Well, I certainly do feel small," Henry replied with a smile.

"Did you sleep well? Were you comfortable?"

"It was pretty nice. Definitely a new experience, but I didn't mind."

Isabel set Henry down on the ground and rested her head against her hand. She looked down at Henry, looming over his small form.

"Are you hungry?" Isabel asked him.

Henry hadn't really thought about eating since he'd been with her, but the mention of it made his stomach growl.

"Yeah, I guess I am."

"Well, I would go grab us some cows or something, but we don't have any way to cook them."

"We could make a fire," Henry suggested.

"Yeah, but I don't want to wait so long for it to cook. Let's go get something from a tavern or something, shall we?"

Isabel used her huge fingers to once again lift Henry into her palm. She lumbered her way through the countryside as they talked.

Henry sat her in hand, trying to build up the courage to ask what he'd been wanting to ask.

"Uh, Isabel?" He began.

"Mhm?" She replied.

"If you don't mind me asking... uh, how exactly are you so big?"

Isabel chuckled. "I was wondering when you'd ask that. Figured it would be one of the first things. To answer your question, I don't really know. I was just born like this."

"How are you just 'born' like this? No one is born miles tall."

"Well, I'm living proof that you're wrong, aren't I? You see, my father was just like you. He was only around 5'8" I think. But my mother, that's where it's different. She was like me, but... different."

"How do you mean?"

"She was a giant, but she was a giant giant. She was way bigger than me. I remember when j was younger she said she was one of the biggest giants to ever walk the land. I don't know if that's true, but she definitely was huge. I must have gotten these giant genes or whatever from her."

"How was she so big as well? And she was even bigger than you? She must have been absolutely enormous!"

"Well, she still is. I haven't seen her in years, but I think she's still alive. I don't know about my dad, though. I don't know how she was a giant, and I don't know why she was so much bigger than me, either. We're actually not too far from where we once went on a walk together. Want to go see? I think our footprints are still there."

Henry agreed and Isabel turned to the right, searching for the spot where her and her mother had walked. They were by some more mountains again, and a dense forest was on their right.

"I recognize this area," Isabel said. "I think we walked around here."

She scoured the area before she finally stopped.

"Here," she stated. "This is where we walked that one day. I remember it was the first time we'd walked out this far from where we used to always live. I was only 8 at the time, 14 years ago. I was only around 4 miles tall at the time."

Henry chuckled to himself a bit at how causally Isabel said that she was "only" 4 miles tall at the time.

"Look!" Isabel shouted, a bit louder than her usual talking voice. "There are some of our footprints. We sure made an impression, didn't we? Want to get up close and personal with them?"

"Sure," Henry said as Isabel lowered him to the ground. Her enormous feet and toes loomed high up above.

"Look at that," Isabel said to herself, giggling. "Look at how small I was!"

Isabel took her foot and put it down next to a footprint in the earth. Her foot was now about twice the size of the footprint. She'd grown quite a bit.

"Hold on a second," Isabel said to Henry as she picked him and relocated him. She put him down in a depression where the walls rose up hundreds if not thousands of feet. He looked out and ahead of him was nothing but green grass for what looked like miles.

"Where'd you put me?" Henry asked. "Is this your 8 year old footprint?"

"My mother's," Isabel answered.

Henry looked back to the footprint he was inside and he could definitely see that it was her mother's. It was absolutely gigantic, way bigger than 8 year old Isabel's footprint would have been. Isabel reached down, her colossal fingers descending at frightening speeds. She delicately picked Henry up and placed him in her palm.

"Look at this," she said to him. Isabel took her foot and placed it next to the footprint Henry has just be in.

"See how big she was?"

Isabel was right. Being in the footprint had shown Henry how big her mother was, but this just emphasized it. This raised so many questions for Henry. Previously he had thought Isabel was one of a kind, the only giant around. She clearly wasn't. Was there some sort of "giant" race about?

Isabel scooped Henry up into her hand and began walking away from the enormous footprints.

--------------

"Onward, men!" General Arthur shouted to his men, gesturing with his sword.

The titanic woman was in their sights. How could she not be? She was probably visible for miles around. Arthur, being the general of the kingdom's army, was sent out by George to take this monstrosity down. Armed to the teeth with 2000 soldiers, Arthur was not prepared to lose. His helmet rested in the saddle of his black horse, exposing his short, gray hair. A man of nearly 60 years, but still in excellent health, Arthur was an experience veteran of war and knew a great deal of advanced tactics. When it came to actually fighting, he could hold his own, but he wasn't as well off as he was 30 years ago.

The ground quaked and shifted with every footstep of the colossal woman. Arthur and his men had been nearly falling off their horses every few seconds for the past few minutes. Arthur was confident in the men to take this giant down, but he knew it would be a difficult fight.

The army approached a mountain range. They weren't the Towering Tops, but they were large nonetheless. As the soldiers traveled along through the mountains, the earth shaking footsteps ceased. Arthur held up a hand for his men to stop, and they skidded to a halt. They waited for a few seconds, waiting to see if the footsteps would resume. Suddenly, an even more powerful boom rippled through the earth, knocking a few soldiers off their horses and sending a chorus of whinnies throughout the animals. Then silence again.

"Come on men! She must've sat down. If we move fast, we can get to her before she gets up again!" Arthur yelled to his men, raising his sword. In response 2000 soldiers roared in approval and thrusted their swords upwards. The horses galloped through the mountains, carrying the men towards Isabel.

--------------

Isabel plopped herself down a few (thousand) feet away from a nearby mountain range. This one was a bit smaller than the one she'd encountered earlier, and she was quite amused at this.

"So, this is the village you said your mother told you about?" Henry asked Isabel.

"Yep," she replied. "I remember what she told me. She said their was a tiny village near a gray mountain range that was 'about yea high,' and then she gestured, saying they were a bit taller than her toes. So, they should be about thigh high to me, which they are, so this should be it."

"And I have to find the light blue house and ask Mary about...?"

"Tell her I sent you. I'd do it myself, but, well... it would be a bit complicated and it wouldn't bode well with the town."

"I understand. I'll see you shortly, then."

Isabel deposited Henry on the outskirts of the town by merely stretching over. She didn't even have to get up from where she was sitting. Henry gave a little wave to Isabel, who smiled in return.

Henry approached the large gates that enclosed the relatively small town. He found it a bit odd that a village like this would need walls like that, but he didn't pay much attention. Henry was stopped at the gates by two guards, equipped with heavy armor and long spears.

"Halt, son," the one on the left said to him. "I'm sorry, but I've gotta ask you. It's part of my job. What's your business here?"

"I'm looking for a woman named Mary I was told lived here," Henry explained.

"Mary, eh?" The guard on the right asked. "Why? Who told you she lived here?"

"I don't really know why, actually. I just have to talk to her."

"Who sent you here?"

Henry pointed back to Isabel, who sat far off, looking at her nails.

"Her."

The guards looked at each other for a moment, before the right one said to him:

"Alright, son. Go on in. Just don't cause any trouble."

Henry nodded in thanks and entered the newly opened gates. The town was actually much nicer than he thought. Part of the town was on the same level as he was, but another part was elevated a dozen feet or so up. Situated on top of a hill was what looked to be a mini castle of sorts. Henry took this all in as he walked through the town, trying to locate Mary's home.

Henry managed to identify her house after a few minutes of aimless walking. A light blue house in mediocre condition sat right next to the small wall that separated the lower and upper portions of the town. There were no windows and the door was in somewhat poor condition.

Henry approached the door and listened for any sounds but heard none. After a few seconds he knocked on the brown wooden door and waited. The footsteps became slightly louder and then they stopped. Henry took in a deep breath and waited again. Another creak and the door slowly opened up a smidge.

A single, light blue eye stared at Herny. Besides that, he could make out no details of the person.

"Hello, are you Mary?" He asked the person.

"Yes," a quiet, feminine voice replied. The door opened a bit more, allowing Henry to see that Mary had long blonde hair. "What do you want?"

"May I please come in? I've come to talk on behalf of someone I think you might know."

"Yes, just come in," Mary said quickly. The door opened and she moved behind it. Henry walked in and the door closed behind him.

The house was fairly small. The floors were dirt, which was to be expected. To the left was a kitchen of sorts, with a counter, and ahead was a small room with candles and shelves. On the right was a small bed and some blankets.

Henry turned around and looked at Mary. She wore a hood, hiding her features a bit, but Henry could still see her hair and most of her face. Her light blue eyes looked at him in what looked like a bit of fear. Hilda had pink lips and a long nose that came out just the right length. Honestly, she was a very attractive woman.

Henry was about to begin talking when she walked right past him into the little room with the candles. Henry, not sure of what to do, just followed her in. In the room was a little rug in the center of the room, with some shelves up on the walls. Candles were on the floor as well as the shelves. All around the room were paintings of women in all different environments and clothing. One had a naked woman lying in a field with some trees nearby. Another had a painting of a large woman standing over a city. She wore gladiator sandals and had a big smile on her face, as well as her hands on her hips. This one seemed a bit odd to Henry, although many other paintings were similar to this one.

"Who are the women in these paintings? Henry asked Mary as he surveyed them.

"Goddesses," she said flatly. She became more excited the more she spoke, though. "You know how people have religions? I worship them. They provide everything for us."

"Really?" Henry was genuinely interested, although he didn't buy it for a second. Giants were one thing, but actual goddesses were a whole 'nother one.

"Yeah. You see this one right here?" Mary said, gesturing at a painting. A nude woman stood in the middle of the ocean, a ship a tiny dot next to her massive body. "That's Aqua, the goddess of water. She controls the oceans.

"This is Caelum, the goddess of the sky," Mary said at the next paining, which feature a winged blonde woman lying in the clouds. "It's a bit weird, but even though Aqua is the goddess of water, Caelum controls rain.

"This here's Terra." The painting was of a green woman who stood towering in the sky, trees not even reaching the tips of her toes. "You may have heard of her. She's the goddess of the earth. So she controls everything other than the water and sky."

Finally, Mary went to the last painting, one that Henry had had his eye on. The background was all pink, and there looked like some sort of rolling hills in the background. On the ground were three women, all stretched out like they were worshipping something. In front of them were enormous tan pillars that must've stretched miles upon miles into the sky.

"And this, this is Dea. She's the goddess of the goddesses. She can control everything. If it wasn't for her, we wouldn't be here! There are lots of other goddesses, but I don't have their paintings here yet."

"Wow," Henry began. "That's very interesting. I like the artwork. Whoever painted them must've been very skilled."

"Aw, thank you!" Mary said. She must really have been dedicated to her religion if she went through all this work.

"So, Mary..." Henry said as Mary smiled at him. She seemed to have come out of her shell after showing him the paintings. "I like the artwork, but that's not why I came here."

"What for, then?"

"Uh... 'Isabel sent me.'

Mary laughed. "So that's why. I take it it's about a witch?"

"I believe so."

"She always went on about wanting to be 'normal' and 'small.' Is she looking for Lilith?"

"Lilith?"

"Lilith's a witch. I know her but not what she does. She's told me that she has 'great power' but I don't know what it is."

"I guess so, then. Do you know where she resides? Or where we could find her?"

"You know where the Towering Tops are, right? You must go there, and then head north. Just keep going, on and on, until you find a new mountain. It's probably even bigger than Isabel. You can't miss it. She's in there."

"Really? Thank you, Mary! I wish there was some way I could repay you, but I don't think I have anything."

"No, it's fine. I'm glad you looked at my work. No one ever comes over here and definitely no one looks at my paintings."

"Well, thank you again, Mary. Maybe I'll see you again some time?"

Henry smiled as he walked to the door. He opened it and looked back to see Mary grinning back at him. Henry closed the door and began the trek to Isabel.

He'd been in there longer than he'd thought, as it was already starting to get dark. He had no way of contacting Isabel and it would take him a good deal of time to reach her, so he decided to buy something to eat really quickly instead of waiting for her to get something.

Henry walked into a nearby pub and ordered a quick meal. Unlike the last pub, no one knew his affiliation with Isabel, so he was able to enjoy his meal in peace.

After finishing his meal and paying the small amount, Henry left the small town. On his way out he noticed the sign identifying the village: Mountain's Pass. Henry made a mental note and moved on.

The walk to Isabel took him quite some time, as she was positioned at least a mile away from the town. She seemed preoccupied with something, so she unfortunately didn't see Henry on his way over. Henry kept imagining Mary's paintings in his head. The more he thought about them, the more he became convinced that maybe the goddesses weren't just stories after all.

By the time Henry reached Isabel she has dozed off into a light sleep. This was evident by her light snoring (relative to her normal snoring). Henry waited, hoping for her to wake up, but she didn't. He called it upon himself to wake her up so he could tell her the news before heading to bed. Henry waltzed over to Isabel's monolithic toes. Her foot was sole down, so the toes were at their full height of a few hundred feet. Henry reached out to the colossal toes in front of him and touched the big one. The flesh was soft yet firm at the same time. Henry could feel every single little indent and crevice of her toe print, and he felt humbled at this. It was a truly unique experience.

Henry knew it was risky, but he tickled her toe, as it was his only option. Somehow she had managed to feel his minuscule hands on her toe and she stirred a bit, readjusting her foot's positioning. Henry stepped back a bit, careful to avoid any accidental damage she might do. After her huge foot came to a rest Henry touched and tickled again, feeling the rigid flesh underneath his hands. This time he was more successful, and Isabel roused a bit more. Then she opened her eyes and let out a loud yawn.

"Ah, Henry, you're finally back," she mumbled. "I was worried about you."

"Sorry I took so long," Henry apologized. "Mary was showing me some paintings of goddesses. She told me that this witch named Lilith lived in some huge mountain far north of the Towering Tops."

"Lilith, eh? Doesn't sound familiar. I trust Mary, though. We head out tomorrow, then?"

Henry nodded in agreement and lay down next to Isabel's gigantic toes. He felt a bit cold with no fire but he felt fine. Sleeping next to Isabel was what Henry could only describe as nice. Slowly he drifted off into sleep, dreaming about the goddesses and paintings.