- Text Size +

Neverquest – Part 113

 

Characters: Sophia, Jesse, Alyssa, Pip, Neil

Location: The basement of CNN

Time: Day 5 – 2:36 AM

 

 

“What do you mean your dad stowed away on somebody’s carriage? That wasn’t part of the plan.”

 

“I don’t know, Michelle.”

 

“Okay. Look, it’s alright, Sophia. Did Russell’s group find out anything more about Siarra?”

 

“Yeah. They met with some guy who told them Siarra was taken to the dungeon earlier today. She should still be there.”

 

“In the dungeon? How did she wind up there?”

 

“Why don’t you go ask her, Michelle?”

 

“Will do, Sophia. But first, how are you holding up?”

 

“Let’s see. I came to work this morning to find my co-worker hacked up into six pieces by some supernatural force that defies all laws of physics before learning about a virus in our systems that has the potential to end my father’s career and kill all the innocent players in Neverquest, including the ones I love and work with who I allowed to enter the game on the off-chance we might actually make a difference and not wind up dead or in jail for housing this monstrosity. So all-in-all, Michelle, I’m terrific.”

 

“Chin high, Sophia. You’re doing great.”

 

That was ten minutes ago. Now Sophia sat alone at the front desk, watching the eight computer screens on the wall with her fist in her mouth. Her thoughts were heavy and she sighed, drawing her fist up the bridge of her nose and rubbing the space between her eyes.

 

“You look tired.”

 

Slowly, she looked up. Alyssa was standing over her with a mug in each hand and a light blanket the same creamy color as her hair wrapped around her shoulders like a shawl. Her face was stiff and serious and so was her body, even as she reached out her arm.

 

“I brought you some coffee,” she said.

 

“…What do you want, Alyssa?”

 

Alyssa took that as an invitation to sit down and she did so, pulling up a chair across the desk from Sophia. “You looked sad from across the room. Is it because you miss your dad? Do you fear something terrible happening to him?”

 

“Alyssa, this really isn’t a good time.”

 

But she set down a mug in front of Sophia and leaned forward, sticking her face through the clouds of mist steaming from the coffee. “I know what it’s like to lose someone you love. It’s a horrible thing. You start feeling so cold until you go numb and all you can do is look to the past for some salvation…”

 

“You never lost anyone. All you did was get dumped.”

 

“Do you know how that feels? Can you imagine the torture I’ve gone through in the past two years?”

 

Sophia dropped her palms to the table. “Look, Alyssa. You’re not the only girl who got dumped in high school.”

 

“So you got dumped, too?”

 

“Once or twice, but—”

 

“So you know what it’s like, living in torture.”

 

“Living in torture…? Alyssa, you just have to move on.”

 

“You mean forget.”

 

“Yes, forget.”

 

The smirk Alyssa gave was anything but forgiving. “Some things can’t be forgotten. Some wounds don’t heal. Sometimes the blood keeps dripping until there’s only silence to fill your hollow body.”

 

“Haven’t you ever thought of loving someone else? You’re a good-looking girl. A little weird, but I bet if you worked on your social skills and stopped talking like you’re the only person in this world with problems, you could bag any guy you wanted.”

 

“You think I’m pretty?”

 

Sophia quickly retraced her steps. “In a completely platonic way.”

 

“Of course. It would only be too ironic if you loved me the way I love Jesse.”

 

“Okay, um, Alyssa… There’s more to love than the way a person looks. Underneath every body, there is a soul that—”

 

“What’s my best asset?”

 

“What?”

 

“Is it my hair? My eyes? My breasts? What do you think Jesse finds attractive about me?”

 

“I…” She shook her head. “Alyssa, I don’t think he… Ugh, why are you even talking to me?”

 

“I like to watch your face.”

 

“My face?”

 

“The expressions you make. I try to see if they’re real. I want to know what Jesse sees in you. I want to see under your skin.”

 

“Um… Why don’t you go sit with Neil?”

 

“He doesn’t fascinate me.”

 

“And I do?”

 

“Oh, yes. You’re wonderfully fascinating to watch.” She smiled in the friendliest way she could. “Go on. Drink your coffee.”

 

Sophia stared down at the brown swirls and bits of marshmallows in her mug. “What did you do? Poison it?”

 

“No,” Alyssa laughed.

 

“Are you sure?”

 

“I might have. But I wouldn’t want to see Jesse cry.”

 

“No, of course not…” Sophia reached for the mug and hid her face behind it for a moment, sipping slowly. It tasted normal, but she pretended to drink more than really did.

 

Alyssa continued to watch her every movement. “No, you looked tired. I wanted to keep you awake. After all, you have eight people here counting on you to keep them alive and a dozen more in their homes waiting to be saved. If something were to happen to you, I can’t imagine the kind of horrible things that would befall each and every one of them. They might end up like Tony. Bloody drawings on the floor. But nothing a little water and soap couldn’t wash away.”

 

Sophia choked on her coffee.

 

“Are you okay?”

 

“Not when you’re around,” she said, setting down the mug. Then she interlaced her fingers and leaned forward so they were face-to-face. “Seriously, Alyssa, what’s your problem? You’ve been stringing me along since we met. You want to see me snap, don’t you? You want me to break down in front of Jesse.”

 

“I think you do deserve your share of the tears I’ve cried, yes.”

 

“Why do you blame me for this? I didn’t even know about you until today.”

 

“Surely Jesse talks about me all the time.”

 

“Not once in all the months I’ve known him.”

 

“Well, I know he thinks about me all the time.”

 

Sophia shook her head. “I don’t want us to be enemies. At least not now. Can’t we get through the rest of this night without getting on my case? I have enough to worry about.”

 

“It’s good to worry. It means your eyes are open and you’re watching yourself from every angle.”

 

“I’d be able to work more efficiently if I didn’t have you badgering me at every chance you get.”

 

“Can’t take the pressure? Are you so weak?”

 

“Alyssa…”

 

“You should be stronger for Jesse. You’re not good enough for him, you know.”

 

“And you are?”

 

“Of course not. I’m a shadow of the person I used to be.” She looked down at her lap. “It’s so hard some days, Sophia. I miss him so much… Do his chest hairs still stand on end every time he crawls in bed at night? Do his hands still work the tools the way they used to?”

 

“…What?”

 

“Don’t you ever pay attention? Don’t you ever watch the world under your feet? Don’t let it slip away. Don’t let yourself forget.”

 

“Um, okay… I’ll remember that, Alyssa.”

 

“Please do.”

 

Nodding, Sophia pulled herself away from the desk. “If you’ll excuse me, I need to go talk to Jesse.”

 

“I’m sure you have a lot to say to him.”

 

“…Yeah.”

 

She quickly walked away. Alyssa remained at the desk, watching her from the clouds of mist, and smiled into her coffee as she took another sip.