- Text Size +
“But why would a Necromancer come to the Abbey?” Kim said, picking up her bow and nocking an arrow just in case. “They know this is Alliance territory.”

“I’ve never seen a Forsaken pay attention to boundaries,” Siarra said. “Let’s go give her a proper welcome, shall we?” She smirked and Kim returned her smirk. Together, they walked side by side over to the entrance of the Abbey, where the gates were banging against the wall in breaths of the screaming wind. The guys, like toy soldiers, stood in front of them, looking up at the dark sky, their hands readied on the hilts of their weapons.

Lightning began to flicker like seething fireflies. The wails of banshees suddenly cried out in the storm and a white bolt from the heavens cracked, striking the town wall with a burning intensity that blasted bits of rock and brick everywhere. Then, the clouds seemed to tear open and a heavy downpour began. Rain pelted their still faces, clouding their view in its mist, but they could just make out the blackened silhouettes of two figures approaching the gates—one in a long robe and one in heavy armor.

A sudden flash of lightning revealed the face of Gena as the figure in the robe, red in her eyes, a staff in her hand coiled by a live python. Her robe was as black as the night, causing her to appear as nothing more than a floating hand with hands if one didn’t notice the thin outline of her robe in the darkness. There were strange markings on her robe as well—some kind of hieroglyphics, impossible to discern, but they occasionally glowed in a sickening green. Gena’s hair, still short and spiked on the tips, was now combed over the side of her face, hiding the other half of her wicked grin.

“Gena!” Siarra cried out, her mouth blasted with the showering rain.

“…Hello, Siarra and friends,” Gena said. Her voice was calm and yet boomed over the roll of the thunder. “I came to tell you to get out of my world. Neverquest belongs to me.”

“Like hell it does! Come on, cut the crap and group with us. We can slay Terragolem together.”

“You don’t get it, do you!?” Gena roared. “I own you! As long as you remain here, you’re mine in a world that’s mine!”

“She always was into the PvP,” Siarra whispered to Kim. “I don’t know about her special effects though. Lightning seems like a waste of magic to me.”

Gena scowled, causing bolts of lightning to dance around her.

The figure next to her, Roxanne, donned in heavy black armor that dwarfed her in its immense size, stepped forward. She used both hands to pull an axe from her back, the blade of which was almost as big as her. “Make way for Her Majesty or be hacked through like twigs.”

She was answered by an arrow from Kim that bounced uselessly from her breastplate. Roxanne glared. In a blink that not even the lightning could catch, Roxanne rushed forward, latched her metal hand around Kim’s neck, and hurled her backwards. Kim was thrown at least thirty feet before she smashed into the fountain, cracking it and her skull. The water oozed red.

“What the hell!?” Siarra exclaimed. “That’s not even a legal move! You hacked the game!”

“This isn’t a ‘game’ anymore,” Gena grinned, stepping over to Siarra. The guys scattered like the brave heroes they were and Gena put her foot on Siarra’s robe, pinning her down, and then leaned closer so that their noses kissed. “You’re in my world now, bitch.”

“Shouldn’t we go help her?” Vic asked, but he was running away just as fast as the rest of the guys.

Mundo peddled along beside him. “Screw that! I hate dying, even in virtual reality. It hurts like hell.”

“I’ll sing a song at her funeral,” Quentin said. “Will that do?”

“Yeah, let her boyfriend save her.”

“He isn’t here.”

Adam stopped in his tracks. “…Damn you, people. Siarra and Kim were nice enough to lead us here. They could’ve wiped us out whenever they wanted, but they didn’t. They kept us alive. And here we are, running when they’re the ones in need of help. What kind of people are we? Where are we when the girls need us? Running away… Is that all we’re capable of? Is this the example we set for other men to follow? Can we even call ourselves ‘men’? I’ve never known a man to run.”

One by one, the rest of the guys stopped and looked at Adam, absorbed in his words, and then looked at each other. But it was Mundo who spoke first. “Are Monks allowed to say ‘damn’?”

“…I’m going to help,” Adam said, turning his back.

Eric’s hand fell on his friend’s shoulder. “Aye, I am with you.”

“As am I,” Vic said, his hand falling on the other shoulder.

Glancing around at his companions, Quentin suddenly jumped forth and, not seeing a shoulder left, put his hand on Adam’s thigh. “I’m with you too!”

“…Don’t touch me there,” Adam said. Then he looked back at Mundo, Cain, and Isaac, who were frozen where they stood. “You guys don’t have to help. I wouldn’t expect a decent endeavor from the whole lot of you.”

“I can live with that,” Isaac said.

Cain nodded. “Me too. Take me to that bar with the drunken chick. This night doesn’t have to be a total waste, if you know what I mean.”

Adam watched the three of them turn away and then looked at his three companions. “Well…thank you, guys. Let’s go save the damsel in distress!”

“Aye!” Eric cheered. They ran towards Gena, waving their sword and dagger and staff and flute and bellowing senseless battle cries.

Gena didn’t notice them before and she didn’t notice them now when they dove into the silky fabric of her robe, tangling themselves hopelessly in an attempt to attack, perhaps her ankles, with their useless weapons.

“You’re totally going to get banned for this,” Siarra was saying to Gena, but her voice was shaky.