- Text Size +
Gena raised her staff, causing the python to hiss into the blinding streaks of lightning, and thrust the end of it into Siarra’s gut. She buckled in half. Gena brought the staff down again, slamming it over Siarra’s head so that her jaw cuffed the cobblestone path. Siarra coughed blood. She was on her knees and forearms now. Gasping without words, she turned her cheek to the cold ground and stared at the bottom of Gena’s robe, where the little guys were trying in vain to inflict any damage whatsoever.

“Virtual reality hurts, doesn’t it?” Gena sneered from high above. “It’s a shame you have to suffer as victims in my game.”

Siarra clenched her teeth. “It’s not supposed to hurt this much… What the hell did you do, Gena…?”

“Just made the game a little more real, my friend. Now I think we know where we both belong—me as the Supreme Goddess of All and you at my feet. What’s it like down there, knave?”

Siarra couldn’t answer. The blood was caught in her lungs and she gagged again. With a struggling effort, she pried herself up on her forearms, her eyes towards the cobblestone, her lips quivering, the hammering rain drowning her every breath. Her vivid hair now looked somber and black, raining limp over her face like a soaking, closing elm in the gale.

It was at that moment that Adam felt his arm weakening. He lowered his maces and, ignoring the war cries of his crazed companions, he found himself staring up at Siarra, the color gone from her face, her closed eyes trying to hold back the pain. Blood rained from her chin.

“Siarra…” he whispered, stepping towards her. His foot fell from the dark fabric of Gena’s robe. Standing under Siarra, whose face hovered no more than a few feet (to him) above, he looked into her squinting eyes. For a moment, he thought she opened them and saw him standing there in the falling rain, helpless and alone just like her. Then her eyes closed again.

“Gena,” Siarra gasped. “Whatever you did to the game, it’s not right… I feel like I’m really dying.”

Gena smirked. “If you can’t handle reality, then go back to your little fantasy land. Like I said, this world belongs to me now.”

“But how…? You don’t know anything about hacking…”

“I had a little help,” she said and then put her fingers to her lips, letting out a shrill whistle.

Roxanne appeared from the gates carrying a leash. On the other hand of the leash was a devilish imp, only about a foot tall (two feet if you counted his pointed ears), with a humanlike and nerdlike quality to him. It only took somebody who knew Narsis to recognize him right away, now transformed into a small red gremlin of sorts, complete with a pair of crazed yellow eyes and clawed fingertips. He was snarling, thrashing, wailing even—anything he could to break the chained leash around his pencil-thin neck. But Roxanne wasn’t letting go. In fact, she cackled at his feeble attempts to escape and pleasured herself by yanking the leash left and right with enough force to hurl Narsis right off the ground and smack him against the iron gates of the Abbey more than once.

“Look, guys!” Vic cried out, spotting the imp who was being used something like a tetherball. “It’s Narsis!”

“No, it can’t be,” Eric said. “We were never to speakst his name again.”

“Well, it has to be him. Look at that nose.”

The imp’s nose was bigger than a banana.

“Yeah, that’s definitely Narsis.”

Moaning, Siarra opened her hazy eyes and stared at the impish creature while the rain drowned her. “What have you done…?”

“I’m not the one to blame!” Narsis shrieked, hopping around on all fours. “I’m not the one to blame! They made me do it! Blame theeem. It burns—the chain, it burns!”

Gena looked down at Siarra. “I love my little bitch. What do you say we put a leash on you too?”

“I’ll never be your bitch…you bitch.”

“Then you can just die here and I’ll bury you under my world where you belong.”

Gena raised her staff again. The python hissed. But its jaws were cuffed by a sudden ray of blue light that caused the snake to recoil like a finger to hot fire. Scowling, Gena turned towards the source of the light and found a little girl—not even a teenager—standing a few yards across the Abbey in a purple robe with a wand in hand. By her right foot stood a little boy and an old man (who was just about as little); by her left food stood another boy, though the same miniature height as the first two, he was somewhere between their two ages.

“By the Arcane Order of Master Luna and the Seven and a Half Apostles,” the girl spoke without fear, “I command you to leave this Abbey and never return.”

Gena waved her staff as a sign of dismissing her offer. “Little girl, you don’t belong here anymore. I release you from the command of Master Luna.”

“You don’t have the authority. I answer only to Master Luna. I am her apprentice, Kendira of Felwinter.”

“You are a fool and nothing more. Stand in my way a moment longer and I shall see Felwinter crushed under my foot.”

“Lay a hand upon one of the disciples of Master Luna and that day will commence your final judgment. I do not fear you.”

Frankie looked up at the towering image of Kendira, standing her ground so calmly against the evil Gena, and then looked towards his grandfather. “I’m getting that feeling again.”

“Rule number one about puberty,” Grandpa said wisely. “There is a time and a place for everything. This is not that time.”

“Okay.”

Malkav stared over at them from Kendira’s other foot, but said nothing.

“You do realize a Mage has no chance against a Necromancer, don’t you?” Gena asked, eyeing Kendira. “Especially a little girl like you. Why don’t you go play with your dolls?”

“Do I look like a Shaman to you?”

Even out of scene, far away in the bar, Mundo felt the blow of an insult in his stomach.

“No matter,” Gena said. “But I warn you, it would be wise to stand down. Little boys and girls don’t live for long when they stick their noses in business that’s none of their concern. I didn’t come here for you.”

Kendira took a step forward. “But you did come here. You’re standing upon Master Luna’s earth. It is my sworn duty to protect what is hers while she is gone and I won’t turn it over to Forsaken scum for all the treasures of this world or for my very life. So come, try to take either from me and watch the ground rise up in front of you. I won’t back down.”

“I like her,” Roxanne said, clipping Narsis’ leash onto her spiked shoulder pads and then grabbing her double-edged axe. “Let’s kill her.”

Kendira nodded solemnly. “Do what you must, Black Knight, but judge me not by size. It isn’t a good measure of capability.”

“Yeah!” Vic said, pointing up at Gena. She noticed him for the first time, glared down, and then stamped him out with the end of her staff like a cigarette butt. She proceeded to do the same with Eric and Quentin, who was the only one still attacking her robe with his utterly useless flute. When all three were but squashed bodies on the end of her robe, she brushed her leg forward, causing the three to dribble onto the cobblestone path, leaving only their red stains behind to wash away in the rain.

Adam stared at his friends and was relieved, somewhat selfishly, that he had chosen to stand under Siarra rather than Gena. “Poor fools.”

Gena turned back to Kendira with the same scowl. “Stamping you out won’t be any harder. …Roxanne, take care of her.”

“Right,” Roxanne said, tightening the grip on her axe. She made a mad dash for Kendira, swinging the axe over her shoulder. Her heavy footsteps splashed in the puddles of rain.

Grandpa threw his arm around Frankie and hurled him to the side. “Get out of here, boy!”

Frankie lurched forward. Roxanne’s footsteps thundered, louder and louder, and she brought her metal boot down on Grandpa, if only by accident. Her other boot slammed down on Malkav, who was also too slow to make a break for it. But Kendira wasn’t. She leaped back the moment Roxanne hurled her axe forward, the wind from the shining blade skimming her breasts. Luckily she hadn’t hit puberty yet and they weren’t any bigger or she would’ve felt the cold steel slice through her skin.

Roxanne wasn’t finished, though. Her foot slammed into the earth and she pivoted on the heel, doing a complete turn that ended with bringing the axe straight down on Kendira.

But Kendira swung her foot out and around at an impossible speed to match, causing her body to soar towards the ground, ducking the blade, and she came up alongside the handle, unscathed.

“Stupid agility boosts,” Roxanne roared. Her black hair soaked to her cheeks, she stepped back, the bloody footprints of Malkav and Grandpa revealed under her boots.

“Ugh…” Grandpa said, unable to move his limbs. “I always thought my time was coming, but I never thought it’d be so soon.”

“Don’t worry,” Malkav said, though he was just as dead. “We can revive after your Mage friend wastes these fools. You don’t have to worry. Gena is a bitch, but she’s all hot gas…really hot gas, but hot gas nonetheless. And Roxanne…well, they’re both bitches.”

“You know, boy, we didn’t use words like that back in my day. Why, when I was in your age…” He rambled on, oblivious to the fight between Roxanne and Kendira from above that was only interrupted by the occasional footfall from one of the girls that landed on top of him.

Malkav struggled in vain to move his body. “Oh, God, he’s telling one of his childhood day stories! Where’s a Cleric when you need one?”