- Text Size +

Neverquest – Part 147

Characters: Queen Isabella, Michelle, Mack, Jeff, Roy, Gena, Roxanne, Lucilla, Cara, Siarra, Kim, Fallon
Location: The royal courtroom
Time: Day 5 – Midday



Roxanne was brought into the courtroom in chains. Her wrists were tightly shackled behind her back and she wore a muzzle that only covered the lower part of her face, allowing everyone to see the shame in her eyes. She made no attempt to break free.


Seeing her best friend carried in like a dog, Gena immediately jumped to her feet. “Roxy, what have they done to you!?”


Lucilla tried to force Gena back into her seat, but she was pushed away.


Roxanne said nothing. She didn’t even make eye contact with Gena as she passed by. She just followed the motion of her shuffling feet to the base of Isabella’s podium and waited for Cara to remove the muzzle.


“I almost regret doing this to you, Black Knight,” Isabella said, leaning over her throne, “but you left me no choice. You are, after all, a disgrace to yourself and are unworthy of any decent treatment.”


“…I understand, Your Highness.”


“What?” Gena gawked at them and swung around to the front of the table. “What do you mean, ‘Your Highness’?”


Lucilla grabbed her by the arm. “You need to sit down. Now.”


“No!” Gena shook her away. “Don’t show her any respect, Roxy! She doesn’t deserve it. She doesn’t even deserve to live. Look at her up there. She doesn’t know what it’s like.”


Roxanne turned around, but both her mouth and her body were speechless. Even her skin looked like it was without color.


“Roxy…?”


Isabella interrupted with a cruel and curt laugh. “Unlike you, worm-eater, Roxanne has learned her place in this world. I really must thank her for saving my life.” She began polishing her nails with an imaginary file. “Which I would do if I wasn’t, you know…better than you all.”


A sudden chill ran through Gena’s spine, as if an ice cube had slipped down the back of her shirt. “You saved her life? After we were so close to ending her reign of tyranny?” She looked into her friend’s eyes, but the shame said it all. “…Roxy, tell me that’s not true.”


The black knight was silent.


“Roxy! Tell me she’s full of shit. Tell me you didn’t ruin our one chance for a better life.”


Lucilla came up from behind. “You need to calm down and have a seat. That is an order.”


“This kingdom belongs to us, Roxy! We deserve to live comfortable for once in our lives.” She held out her arms, to show how empty they were—without hands, without reach. “We grew up together. We made a pact to see this through.”


“The only pact you made was with the devil. I’ll see all you Forsaken fall along with your godless Sorena…but for now, I’ll settle with you.” Lucilla touched a hand to the hilt of her sword. “This kingdom does not belong to you. It belongs to the royal family, whom have served—”


“Shut up, you pawn!” Gena snapped. “You don’t know what it’s like either.”


“Is that so? …I know what it’s like to kill. But when I kill, it’s in the name of justice. When you do it, it’s for fun. That’s the difference between the Light and your darkness.”


Gena’s eyes flickered red. “Roxy and I weren’t raised in a pompous castle like you. We weren’t given armor of gold and weapons of silver and told to make the world how we see fit. Who are you to tell us what’s right!?” She turned to Isabella and her pupils ignited into flames. “And you—Barbie doll princess—what makes you so righteous? You don’t even know what it means to be poor. Or abused. Or mistreated. How can you govern this kingdom? How can you call yourself a ruler when you haven’t worked a day in your life? What makes you so damn perfect!?”


The whole time, Isabella was barreling over in laughter.


“You’re so pathetic,” she cried between bursts of glee. “I’m sitting on the thing that makes me perfect. And if you don’t believe me, maybe you should ask the tiara on my head. I’m pretty sure it’ll say I own you.” She fell back on her throne and laughed again. “As worthless as you are, I really do own you. That’s why this is funny, you see.”


Gena stepped towards the podium. “You can’t own people! We’re not dolls for your amusement.”


“That’s not what it looks like from up here.”


“…How could you save her from the death she rightfully deserves, Roxy?” Gena asked again. “She doesn’t understand a thing. She…she doesn’t even see us as a people.”


“You’re right,” Isabella said, sitting up straight. “You’re less than a people. You’re about as low as…ugh, Men.”


“At least the Men in my life treated like me like a fellow human being.” She paused for a moment. “…I thought my best friend did, too. I thought she wanted this world to be the way we had always imagined.”


Roxanne lowered her head.


“I guess I was wrong.”


Still in the witness chair, Siarra cleared her throat and looked up at Isabella. “…May I speak?”


The princess curled her nose. “Do you have something to say that is pertinent to this trial?”


“Yes.”


“Will it bore me?”


“…It won’t, Your Highness.”


“We’ll see about that. Go ahead.”


Nodding, Siarra pushed off the arms of her chair and stood up.


“Um…excuse you, peasant. You have to remain seated.”


“Yeah, I don’t think so.”


“What did you say!?”


“You’re not real. I don’t have to listen to you.”


“Have you forgotten who you’re addressing, peasant?” Isabella scowled. When Siarra didn’t even look her way, she began frantically waving her hands in the air. “Hello? Big, powerful ruler sitting up here. You can’t miss me.”


Michelle put a finger to her lips, but Siarra either didn’t see her or didn’t care.


“I’ve kept quiet about this until now,” she continued, “but something has to be said. You have to know the truth—that none of you really exist.”


Isabella stifled a laugh. “You’re right. This does amuse me.”


“This is a virtual online game…known as Neverquest. Everything you see before you—your body, this castle, the entire kingdom as you know it—was invented by a higher power. And before you say it, it wasn’t Dai Celesta who made it. It was made by people…good people…like you and me, who I am currently working with to stop a virus that was put into your world by Gena. That’s why I’m still here. I want to help you. I want to stop this virus before it destroys what has become a wonderful game.” She folded her hands. “Please… I know I can help.”


“‘Please, I know I can help,’” Isabella scoffed, rolling her eyes. “This is the saddest insanity plea I’ve ever heard. You’re nuttier than my cousin Olivia… And she’s insane.”


Cara stepped forward. “Your Highness…”


“Carly, do you have something to say?”


“I do.”


Isabella slapped her cheeks. “Are you going to tell me that everybody I know is really a chicken and there’s a world where Men aren’t the most disgusting creatures to ever walk the streets? Say it’s not so!”


“Well, no…Your Highness. But Miss Siarra did tell me of this virus earlier.”


“Oh, right. The ‘virus.’” She tried to hide a smile. “And what of this ‘virus’?”


“I think it’s real.”


“Is that so?”


“Yes. When she told me about it earlier, I thought she was insane…”


“She is insane, Carly.”


“It’s Cara, Your Highness. And… although I find it hard to believe what she’s suggesting myself, she was right about Gena’s involvement in the attempt on your life. Because of her intel, we were able to rescue you in time.” She swallowed, a little hard, and held her legs stiff. “Your Highness, I honestly believe it’s in your best interest to hear her out. We owe her that much.”


“…You’re getting a little too bold, Paladin,” Isabella said. She glared at Lucilla. “As captain of my so-called elite guard, I expect you to discipline your soldiers better.”


Lucilla nodded—very slowly, as if she was in deep thought—and looked up at her superior. “…Your Highness. In all my years of dedication and service to your family, I’ve never been more proud to have a soldier stand beside me than I have with Cara. She’s never spoken out of turn, and when I come to her for advice, she speaks only from the heart, as if that’s all she knows… And frankly, Your Highness, I stand by every word she says.”


Cara blushed and her eyes sank to the floor.


“…I see.” Sighing, Isabella put a hand under her chin. “My mother looks too highly upon you, Lucy. If I had my way, you’d be scrubbing dishes in the servant’s quarters.”


“I am only telling you like it is. Your mother, the Queen, expects that of me.”


“…Just remember, Lucy. She won’t always be the queen.” Isabella smiled and traced a finger across her lips. “You’re awfully young for a captain. How much longer until you can retire? Twenty years? Thirty? Or wait… A true Paladin never does retire, does she? Didn’t your mom die in the forces when you were a child? She was so young, too. It’s such a shame…” Isabella leaned forward. “…You don’t want to play this game with me, Lucy. My mother won’t always be there to protect you. But then, I suppose you know how that feels, don’t you?”


Lucilla started to say something, but her mouth wouldn’t let her speak.


“Your Highness…” Cara said.


“What is it, Carly!?”


“Gena already tried to kill you once. It’s very possible that she released a virus into the city.”


“Are we safe in the castle?”


“Well…yes, Your Highness, if we were to order a lockdown. But it would be—”


“Are you suggesting that with every second you stand there and pick fleas out of each other’s hair, I’m at risk of catching this virus?”


“…With all due respect, we don’t know if the virus really exists or if it’s airborne. But if it does present a potential threat, Your Highness, I think it would be better if we focus our manpower into—”


“Carly. Is it or is it not your job to ensure my safety over everything else?”


“That…is my primary position, yes.”


“And did I ask you to deviate from your position?”


“No, Your Highness.”


“Then do you know what that makes you?” Isabella clapped her hands. “I’ll give you a hint. It begins with ‘worth’ and ends with ‘less.’”


“…I’ll give you a better hint,” Gena said. “I did release a virus into your world. But I didn’t do it alone. …I had help from my old pal, Roxanne. Isn’t that right, sweetheart?”


Roxanne was silent.


“Your blood’s all over this, too.”


Isabella slammed her gavel down. “That’s enough! …Fallon, order an immediate quarantine of the castle. I don’t want this virus anywhere near me.”


“Oh, you don’t have to worry about that, princess,” Gena said. “The virus isn’t contagious. It’s not even lethal… At least, not to you.”


Fallon stopped midway down the stairs. “What is this ‘virus’ then?”


With a grin, Gena pushed back the long bangs in her eyes and turned to Siarra. “…Let’s call it a gift. From one friend to another.” Then she winked and puckered her lips, as if to say, “Enjoy your present.”


Siarra rolled her fingers into a ball. How could Gena still be in this for revenge? That moment had passed. Didn’t she realize this wasn’t a game anymore?


Did she even care?


“…This is just as I had suspected all along,” Isabella said, breaking her train of thought. “The two of you were in cahoots to undermine and usurp me. Back in your backwater Forsaken land, you heard of a young and beautiful princess whose mother had put her in charge of the kingdom for a while. You though this princess was naïve. You thought you could get close to her, gain her trust, make her believe you were worth more than the common trash she is forced to associate with. That’s why you two showed up at the same time. You pretended to play the ‘good girl, bad girl’ roles, but the endgame was the same. You wanted my kingdom and nothing more. How utterly selfish of you… And how boring. Here I was hoping that I had finally encountered some villains with class. But all you could do was carry me to the top of a tower and make me out to be some damsel in distress. I mean, seriously. How original.”


“Your Highness…” Fallon started.


“Yes, I can tell by the shocked expressions on your faces that the truth has been revealed. It was only a matter of time. And by now, I would say your motives are all becoming very clear to me and the people of this jury. Isn’t that right, Mrs. Berry Bear?” She stopped for a moment to have a word with the stuffed animals on the bench. They looked up at her. Nodding intently, she listened to what they had to say and turned back to Gena and Siarra. “Case closed. The jury has spoken.”


“…They’re stuffed animals,” Siarra said, when it seemed nobody else would. “They’re not real.”


“Oh, just like I’m not real?”


“No, that’s…” Her words dribbled off. “This…this is insane. I had nothing to do with Gena or the virus.”


“Liar!”


“There’s nothing I’ve said here that’s a lie. I want you to believe me.” She looked at Michelle and then at Kim. “…The other world is real. We can attest to that.”


“I’m sure you’d attest to anything if it meant you get to breathe my air for a second longer.”


“I wouldn’t make up such a wild tale if I wasn’t telling the truth. You can call me crazy if you want…but I’m not stupid. I know exactly what’s at stake.”


Isabella leaned back and touched her fingertips together. “Why are you the only one to speak of this ‘other world’? What do your friends have to say about it?”


Nobody said a word.


“Come on, guys…” Siarra said. “Michelle, tell her about the real world. Please.”


“Yes, ‘Michelle.’ Humor me with your make-believe world.”


Michelle chose her words carefully before speaking. “…We can’t expect them to believe us, Siarra. Video game characters can only do what they’re programmed to. And unfortunately for us, understanding reality is not one of their options.”


“That’s not true…” Siarra whispered. “They can change.”


“You give them too much credit. None of them can think or feel real emotion. They can only do what we tell them to.”


“No…”


“This is exactly how your friend lost grip with reality.”


Siarra threw herself forward. “Shut up! You don’t know Kim. You don’t know me either, or the shit we went through to get here! It’s a wonder either of us kept our sanity.”


“Get back in your chair, peasant!” Isabella shouted. “Lucilla, restrain her.”


“If I didn’t know better, I’d say you wanted us to stay here, Michelle. Nothing you’ve done has helped anybody! What was the point of even coming!?”


Lucilla dragged Siarra back to the witness stand and held her down.


“…As amusing as all this is,” Isabella said, “I’m getting really fed up with all this courtroom drama. I’m just going to kill you all and call it a day, okay?”


Gena sneered. “Don’t worry, Siarra. Our fairy princess wouldn’t be able to handle the truth anyway. She’s so used to having everything handed to her on a silver platter… She wouldn’t be able to comprehend a world where women are abused, beaten, and neglected. A world where ‘rights’ don’t exist for our kind. She wouldn’t understand why I can forgive someone for betraying me…because she had to in order to survive. Yes, I’m looking at you, Roxy. I know what you did…and why…and I don’t blame you in the least. You thought you had lost me.”


Roxanne raised her eyes.


“You never lost me, Roxy. I will never leave your side.”


By now, Mack, Jeff, and Roy had almost reached the tail of Gena’s robe. They reached out to grab it.


“Yes, very sweet,” Isabella said with a roll of her eyes. “We can bury you next to each other. Or in the same coffin to save money. I’m all for that idea.”


Siarra shook her head. “I’m ashamed in every one of you. Michelle, Gena, Roxanne… Not one of you will confess to the real world. Not one of you will tell the truth! What are you trying to hide? Or what are you trying to hide from…?”


Nobody seemed to be listening.


It couldn’t go down like this.


“Kim…” she pleaded. “Kim, please. I need you. You have to start remembering the real world and how we wound up here.”


But it was clear from Kim’s expression that she didn’t know what to say.


“Let’s start with something simple. When did we met?”


“…A few days ago. I was taking a break from my training and met you at the Abbey, just north of Ellewyn. That’s when—”


“Physics. We used to have physics class together. You sat in front of me and we became lab partners.”


“I never attended a formal school. My mother taught me everything I needed to know about the bow.”


“Your mother is a retailer.”


“My mother died in the war, over ten years ago.”


“No…”


Kim looked at her helplessly. “You hit your head pretty hard, Siarra. That’s why your memory is fuzzy.”


“Why don’t you remember…?”


“I’ve heard enough,” Isabella said. “It’s obviously she’s insane. She doesn’t even remember her evil plans.”


“There were no evil plans!”


“And you’re not going to hang!”


But it was obvious Isabella was mocking her with sarcasm.


“…We have no proof she did anything wrong,” Lucilla said, still holding Siarra down, “but I do suggest we have her analyzed and admitted to one of the psychiatric wards in the south. It’s possible that this ‘virus’ has the ability to alter the memory of its user…and that Gena has been using her as a test subject for some time now. If that’s the case, we must get Siarra to a safe environment.”


“Wouldn’t killing her be easier?”


“No!” Siarra screamed, breaking free of Lucilla.


Or at least, she tried, but the Paladin was too fast and caught her.


“Isaac!” she cried, kicking her feet in the air. “I know you remember Isaac, Kim! He was your boyfriend. You loved him, Kim! You still do.”


Isabella slammed her gavel against the desk. “Enough! Get her out of here. I don’t care what you do with her, but get her out of my sight. Loving a man…” She stuck out her tongue. “Sick. You are truly sick, peasant.”


And then, as if she had been startled awake from some terrible nightmare, Kim shot out of her seat. “Oh, my God… Isaac…” Her face was filled with horror.


“Kim!”


“Siarra…” Kim whispered. She stumbled forward. “Oh, God, I remember.”


Siarra was able to let out a sigh of relief, but something happened.


“…We have to get out of here,” Kim said, taking a step back. “I have to find Isaac. I have to go home. We don’t belong in this world, Siarra. I cannot stay.”


“I know that, Kim. I—no! Kim!”


Without looking back, Kim jumped the railing and ran for the doors. Her leather boots pounded against the carpet and she even forgot to breathe.


Isabella threw her gavel, but missed. “Stop her! Lucilla, Carly—I command you to catch that worm and bring her carcass back to me this instant!”


But donned in their heavy armor—and the panic that was in Kim’s step—the Paladins had lost her by the time they reached the door.


“She won’t get far,” Lucilla said, unsheathing her sword. “Cara, alert the look-out patrol that we have a fleeing suspect somewhere in the castle. I’m going to scout the west wing. We need to make sure she doesn’t leave the premises.”


“Yes, captain!”


“And they’re the best of the best,” Isabella sighed. “Sad, isn’t it?”


Siarra opened her mouth. “Wha—”


“Shut up. That was a rhetorical question.” Adjusting the hemline of her dress, Isabella stood up and began marching down the steps of her podium. “Let’s watch my soldiers make buzzard meat of your friend. It will be a nice led-in for each and every one of your executions on this day.”