- Text Size +
“Yeah, a guy the size of my pinky is really going to stand a chance,” Siarra laughed. “Stupid newbs.”

“I don’t see how we have much of a choice,” Kendira said grimly. “You see, we girls would use this beetle from a desire to do good, but it would only drive us to madness. Even Master Luna cannot withstand its evil. …I dare not take it. Outside this Abbey, it is beyond my control.”

Dusting the wet grime off his pipe, Grandpa once again slid it between his lips. “I will help you bear this burden, Falco, as long as it is yours to bear.”

“My name is Malkav…”

Vic knelt before him. “Sir Malkav, though you may not be of noble birth like I, you have my sword.”

“And my bow,” Eric said, also kneeling.

Their eyes turned to Cain, the stout dwarf, who only stared back at them. “And…my ass, guys, are you insane!? We stand no chance against the might of females ten times our size! We’ll be crushed in an instant.”

“That if why you have my scepter as well,” the Cleric bowed. “I shall accompany you all.”

“Fair Cleric,” Eric spoke, “we do not even know your name.”

“It is Aisha. I must ask permission from my master, but I do not think she will hold me back. I feel…this is my destiny.”

Siarra smiled down on Malkav. “You carry the fate of us all, O little one.” Then she looked towards Kendira. “If this is indeed your will, M’lady, then I would like very much to accompany my friends. They will be safer with two female companions.”

“I agree,” Kendira nodded and then she looked over the standing heroes—Malkav, Grandpa, Vic, Eric, Cain (who was behind held up, too high for his stubby feet to touch the ground, by Vic and Eric), Aisha, and Siarra. “Seven companions… So be it. You shall be the fellowship of the beetle.” She paused. “…Are you sure two more don’t want to join these heroes?”

“Nope,” Mundo said.

“Hell no,” Isaac agreed.

“Sorry,” Quentin shrugged. So did Kim.

“Then you shall join me in seeking out Master Luna,” Kendira said. “The Abbey is no longer safe for any of us… We will embark at once for the city of Felwinter. There we can gain support of the Queen and, with any luck, locate Master Luna. She will know what to do.”

“What about us?” Malkav asked.

“There is no use hiding the beetle now. The Forsaken know where it is being kept… Our only hope lies in recovering the four dismembered pieces of the beetle and reuniting them with the head. Only then can destroy Sorena…”

“But what if the Necromancer—Gena—finds the pieces first?”

“No doubt she will try. It’s common knowledge where the four pieces are kept…but it is no easy task to obtain them. The trials are indeed perilous and those who have tried have all tried in vain. None have since returned.”

“Great,” Cain muttered.

“Smile, Mr. Grumpy Dwarf!” Aisha said. “And drink your water.”

Cain looked at the water she had given to him, threw his head back, and chugged it. He stopped halfway through and spewed it out. “What the hell—salt water!? You got this from the ocean!”

“Well, it was so close and there’s so much of it…”

“…If you weren’t so hot, I’d put my axe to your ankles.”

“You know,” Mundo winked at her. “You’re welcome to join our team instead.”

“…Actually,” Kendira said, “he might have a point. There’s only one Cleric and two groups. If anything happens to the other team, who is going to revive them?”

“I could ask my friend Rachelle to help you on your journey to Felwinter,” Aisha offered. “She’s not a Cleric, but she is a Priest.”

“If she’s as hot as Aisha,” Isaac whispered into Mundo’s ear, “then I hope she’s the kind of Priest who does touch little boys. Like me.”

“You touch little boys?”

“…No… I…meant…uh… Nevermind.”

“…Freak.”

“I’ll murder you!”

“Shut up, you two!” Kim roared down at them, stamping her foot. Isaac and Mundo both fell to the ground. “Kendira is trying to talk.”

“Thank you,” Kendira said. “Sister Aisha, we would much appreciate if your friend could accompany us. The road to Felwinter is dangerous. I dare not take it without the aid of a healer.”

“I shall ask her then,” Aisha bowed and began walking towards the Temple of Life, nearly stepping on the tiny group of the fellowship of the beetle. They scattered. She didn’t even notice as her foot crashed down on all sides of them, bending the wet grass to her mercy.

“She really doesn’t look down!” Vic gasped.

“Oh, my back!” Grandpa moaned, rolling around on the ground. “Where’s my pipe? Where’s my pipe?”

Siarra looked to Kendira. “You know this is hopeless, right?”

“It matters not. We must do what we can for the future of our world. …I fear the alternative.” She waved her hand. “Ready yourselves, friends, and exchange your good-byes. We depart when I return from Master Luna’s shop.” With that, she turned around and headed towards the magic shop with swift footsteps.

Siarra and Kim looked at each other and then down where the guys all stood on the ground, gazing up at them.

“How long do you suppose we’ll be trapped here?” Vic asked. It was the question on all their minds.

“I don’t know,” Siarra said. “Whatever Gena did to the game, it’s preventing us from turning off the game helmets. We’ll have to just keep playing until we run into her again, which, if we seek out the body of the beetle, shouldn’t take too long…. I know she’ll be looking for them as well. The one who collects all the pieces and puts them together will become the most powerful character in the game.”

“Well, she certainly was on a power trip,” Adam said.

“Yes, but I imagine she’ll soon realize she’s trapped in here as well… And the sooner we tell her, the sooner we can fix whatever she did and we can all go back home.”

“That’s good,” Grandpa said. “I still need to take my medication tonight.”

“Kim,” Siarra said, putting her hand on her shoulder. “Keep an eye on the ones joining you. Kendira is powerful, but she’s only a child.”

“She’s also only level 31,” Cain added.

“Regardless, Gena is far higher of a level than all of us. Kim, you’re the backbone of your team.”

“I’m sure Rachelle will be the backbone,” Kim answered modestly, her freckles turning red. “I’m only a Hunter. But…I will do my best to protect the men.”

“And I’ll do my best to protect you, hot stuff,” Isaac said, gripping his sword. “Bring on the bitches.”

A bit of a distance from the others, Cain shook hands with Mundo. “Looks like our paths split here…”

“Yeah,” Mundo said. “Too bad you couldn’t join us. We could’ve gotten drunk together again, just like old times.”

“There’ll be plenty of time for that once we get back to the real world.”

“I guess…”

“Cheer up, man!” Cain said with a hardy laugh that was almost freakishly like that of a dwarf. “Every toast of ale will be for you henceforth. Let us drink to victory.”

“Same here, old buddy,” Mundo said, patting his friend’s shoulder. They looked at each other for awhile, until they were sure nobody else was looking, and gave each other a quick hug.

“That wasn’t gay, was it?” Cain asked.

Mundo shook his head. “No, ‘gay’ would be two midgets with hairy feet kissing each other by a boat at sunset.”

“Yeah, imagine that.”