- Text Size +
Characters: Gena, Roxanne, Frankie

“Do you think that old hag was telling the truth about this thing?” Roxanne asked, holding up the vial with the leetle inside. “It doesn’t look special.”

“It better be for what she charged us,” Gena said. “Almost had to pawn my necklace to get it.” She looked down and smiled. “But we wouldn’t want to hand you over to some strange—and I mean, really strange—stranger, now would we, little Frankie? No, no, no! You’re much too cute and…valuable to sell.”

“I don’t want to be cute,” he whined. “Please, it’s late. I’m supposed to be in bed. Just let me go home!”

“You should be happy. I bet Siarra never lets you stay up late when she babysits you.”

“…Well, no, but she doesn’t tie me to her necklace and leave me there all day either!”

“Just the vacuum cleaner, huh?”

“…Only once… Or four times…”

Gena clicked her tongue. “Tsk, tsk. How terrible. How did you stand living with her?”

Frankie looked down at his dangling feet. “She…cared for me…”

“I’m sure she did. All those times she sent you to your room for no reason, huh? How about all those times she kicked you off the computer so she could play her game? Was that right of her!?”

“…No…”

Roxanne chuckled. “You ain’t the only one who had it bad. My old man—you wouldn’t believe some of the shit he tried to pull. He actually gave me a curfew on the weekdays. Can you believe that? Like, how are you supposed to have any fun if you can’t be outside after midnight?”

“Siarra never let me stay out late… She said I might get hurt or kidnapped.”

“And what did you tell her?” Gena asked.

“That I was old enough to take care of myself…”

“Hell, yeah!” Roxanne said, giving him a light punch in the side. “That’s what I told my old man. Haven’t seen him since I was nine.”

Frankie was quiet.

“It’s alright,” Gena told him. “We’ve all had family problems. Some of us just notice them at an earlier age so that we can do something about them.”

“You…” He looked up. “You think I’m better off without Siarra?”

She just shrugged, not giving it much thought. “It’s up to you to decide. Do you want to be with somebody who bosses you around, tells you wrong from right, leaving you to dangle by her rules instead of your own? …You don’t have to answer me now. I know you’re still upset. You miss her.”

“She’s my sister…”

“Yes, I know. That’s why it’s so hard, I know. In time, though, you’ll be a lot happier without her. Roxy and I, see—we don’t care what you do. You can stay up all night, stuff yourself full of chocolate and ice cream, and watch cartoons until your eyeballs bulge out the way Bugs Bunny’s do. And you know where Roxy and I will be?”

“…At the door with a chair and duct tape?”

“Siarra’s more twisted than we thought,” Roxanne gasped.

“No, no,” Gena said, stroking his soft brown hair. “You won’t be punished for doing those things. That’s Siarra’s way. Our way is to be right there with you, breaking the same rules and having the same fun as you. You’d like that, wouldn’t you?”

“I think so…”

“Just give it some time. If you decide you want to go back to Siarra, why, then, there’s nothing we can do to stop you.”

“You mean that?”

“Of course,” Gena said. She and Roxanne exchanged looks, crossing their eyes and sticking out their tongues as if to mock his juvenile nativity, but he couldn’t crane his neck high enough to see them.

“Thanks…” he said meekly. “I…I’ll think about it. I promise.”

“That’s good. We wouldn’t want you to do anything you aren’t totally comfortably with.” Again, the girls exchanged looks and mouthed ‘Not!’ while they giggled in silence. But Frankie felt reassured and relaxed, enjoying the ride on Gena’s breasts.

“Where are we going?” he asked for a while. They had been walking through the darkened streets of Felwinter for over an hour now and the torchlights had long since been their only company. A few stars glittered down, but they were still alone under the cold whispers of the passing air.

“Not much we can do into the tournament tomorrow,” Gena said. “Are you excited for it, Frankie?”

“I…guess.”

“I bet Siarra’s never even let you seen a barbaric match to the death before.”

“No…no, she hasn’t.”

“That’s a shame,” said Roxanne. “I saw my first one when I was eight years old. Hell, I was in it. …Yeah, I don’t miss my old man.”

Gena glanced at her for a brief moment. “Yes… Well, Frankie, you can bet that we’ll get you front row seats. We’re both signed up for the tournament, you know!”

“Yeah, I do know. I’ve been hanging here all day, remember?”

She faked a sigh. “Frankie, you’re there for your own safety. If you’re on the ground, Roxy and I might accidentally step on you. Plus, this way you can keep up with us! Don’t you like us?”

“Well… I don’t know… I…guess I do.”

“We like you. Don’t we, Roxy?”

“Uh-huh… Are we going to get something to eat? I’m starving.”

“Sure. What would you like to eat, Frankie?”

“What?” he echoed. “Me?”

“You’re as important as we are, aren’t you?”

He beamed up at them. “W-well, yes. If…if you say so! Okay!”

“As long as it’s healthy and nutritious,” Roxy added.

“…Aw…”

“NOT!” Gena and Roxanne laughed together and Frankie joined in too. Unfortunately for Frankie, though, they weren’t just laughing at the joke.