- Text Size +
Characters: Gena, Jinx, Roxanne, Aisha, Queen Isabella, Fallon
Location: The Tournament of Champions
Day 4 - 2:27 PM

“Roxanne? Roxanne, are you okay? Are you alive?”

Gena was knelt over her friend, waving her hand in front of Roxanne’s face. She then moved her hands down to Roxanne’s shoulders and shook her, but nothing happened. Roxanne was motionless, her eyes closed, her nose bleeding, and her armor broken to pieces where she lay.

“Damn it, Roxanne,” Gena said. “Somebody get a Cleric in here!”

Aisha rose shyly. “I’m a Cleric. I can help her.” She looked to Isabella for permission to move and the queen nodded, so she put her hands on Roxanne’s chest and began to chant a holy prayer of Dai Celesta.

Scowling, Gena turned to the window and stared down at Jinx as he stood, so small and proud, in the center of the arena. A bed of roses lay at his feet. Pale fingertips began to curl around Gena’s knuckles as she reached for her snake staff.

“This ends here,” she growled.

Fallon was on the roof, announcing the contestants for the final battle, was Gena wasn’t one to wait. She jumped onto the table, knocking down all the Men, and dove out the window with the grace of a swan.

Her staff hit the sand first, giving her leverage to flip her body over it, land on her feet, and blast Jinx with a dark ray of light. He flew back, all the way across the arena, and smashed into the wall on the opposite end. A web of cracks marked his imprint in the wall as the audience gasped. And then applauded.

Moaning, Jinx peeled his body from the concrete and turned to face Gena. “My, my, don’t we play dirty?”

“Come get some, little troll man. I’m feeling rather violent today.” Clutching her staff, she peddled towards him. Her footsteps pounded through the sand. The earth shook.

Not to be undone, he countered by running towards her. His tiny feet became a blur. “I am for you, sister!”

They clashed somewhere in the middle. Gena went in for a slide-tackle, causing Jinx to slam into the sole of her slipper like another brick wall. With her imprint along his bare chest and face, Jinx grabbed the tail of her robe and spun her around. She swatted at him. He rolled away just as her body crashed to the ground. Then he punched her in the side.

“You annoying little gnat!” she barked, raising her staff. At the same time, tree roots wriggled out from the earth and snared Jinx’s feet. He tried to break away, but he only managed to do a face-plant into the ground.

Gena grinned. She lifted her foot, but Jinx seized the roots and, with a heavy grunt, pulled an entire tree out of the earth, which he swung at Gena like a bat. The impact was heard around the world. With an ear-splitting scream, Gena crashed into the wall in the same place as Jinx had before. Cement blocks rained down.

“Shouldn’t bark up the wrong tree,” Jinx taunted, tossing the tree over his shoulder. He lost an entire section of fans when it landed in the stadium seats, but the cheering of the others made up for it.

Gena shook her head. She looked up to a see a big chunk of cement plummeting down towards her. She was in its shadow. Grunting, she raised her hands and a black light surrounded the falling object, stopping it in midair. With a flick of her wrist, she sent the block soaring towards Jinx along with a flurry of pebbles and stones.

But Jinx was ready. He jumped, ready to meet the objects head-on, and began skipping across them as they tore through the air. Gena kept them coming and he kept jumping until he was over Gena’s head. She tried to throw him, but he reflected the black light back at her and her whole body was heaved into the earth.

Then he landed, wrapping his fingers around her hair, as he began to pivot on his heels again. Gena felt sick. The world began to spin. Echoes of clapping and jeering haunted her. She stared around frantically as dizziness began to take over and the colors and shades of this world become one.

“Rock-a-bye-bye, baby!” Jinx laughed, releasing Gena’s hair.

She soared, not through the air, but barely a couple inches off the ground. She clawed at the air as Jinx became even smaller and smaller and she knew the arena wall would welcome her soon. Somehow, though, Gena’s fingernails found the sand. She gripped it, but it scattered. She tried again and this time her nails tore into the earth. They dug in deep, but still the force pushed her back. The trail of her fingers in the sand went with it. Eventually, her feet collided with the ground and she rolled, backwards, through the sand, stopping just before the wall.

Jinx was on her like a bullet. His feet became a blur and his head was down. When he was only about thirty yards from Gena, he flipped into the air and stuck his leg out, ready to kick her face into the wall. Permanently.

But she ducked. Wide-eyed, he overshot her head. He almost became one with the wall again, but under the power of his quick reflexes and thinking, he managed to coil his body in midair and kicked off the wall for a return attack. But Gena was ready this time, standing over him with her fingers around her staff and she swatted him. He slammed into the wall and bounced off, only to be swatted again. And again. And again. Blood squirted from his mouth.

Panting, Gena stepped back and gave Jinx one last powerful swing. He flew into the stands and the girls chased after him like a foul ball as Gena gasped for breath.

Before she could find it, though, Jinx was in the air, holding two screaming fans by the collars of their shirts. He hovered there, just over the heads of the audience, and hurled the fans at Gena one a time. She dodged the first fan, but the second one nailed her head-on. With a moan, Gena collapsed into the sand.

“And they told me having a few fans wouldn’t hurt,” Jinx said as he landed in front of Gena and tweaked her nose.

But her eyes shot open. She clamped her hands around Jinx, squeezing his little body until his cheeks began to puff and his head was ready to explode.

“Tough…love…huh?” Jinx gasped.

She scowled. “No, tough luck, you little shit.”

Groaning, Jinx worked his fingers through Gena’s grip and slowly pried her hands apart. She pushed her hands tighter. But so did he. And so they struggled there for a minute, with Gena trying to squash Jinx into mush and Jinx matching her force with his own. Sweat covered their clothing. Except Jinx, who wasn’t wearing any. So only Gena’s clothing.

“I never thought…clapping could hurt either…” Jinx mocked.

“Your puns…are getting old… Would you just die?”

“Right after you,” Jinx said, finding some new strength that enabled him to kick off Gena’s hands. Her palms slapped together. Jinx handed on her wrists and smiled up at her with cockiness over every line in his face. Then he seized her wrists and flipped her onto her head.

“Ugh…” Gena moaned. She tried to crawl away, but Jinx landed on her back and began tap-dancing. Every kick hit Gena’s spine like a rock. She sank to her stomach.

“Jinx always wins, baby,” he said, flexing his muscles. The audience roared with approval.

Gena’s eyelids began to quiver. Like Popeye in distress, she slowly reached for the container she had hidden in her clothing. She pulled out the vial and, after one or two failures, popped off the cork. The leetle fell to the ground, squirming. It was a nasty little thing with the body of a beetle and the mouth of a leech. It almost made her sick looking at it. Or maybe it was Jinx making her sick because he was now kicking her face into the sand.

“Do your thing, your stupid bug,” Gena hissed. Sand spilled from her wet lips.

The leetle seemed to understand. It saw Jinx and Jinx saw it. But that was all Jinx saw because the leetle suddenly latched itself to his face, sticking its mouth into Jinx’s left eye socket. Then the leetle’s bottom end opened up, revealing another mouth, and slurped its lips around Jinx’s other eye. He was blinded as it began to suck.

“My eyes!” he screamed. “It’s eating my eyes! What have you done!?”

Gena’s hand came down hard. It swatted Jinx across the arena floor and he landed with a painful thud in his own bed of roses. The thorns jabbed through his naked skin, the petals of the flowers began to fall as he thrashed about, and the leetle continued to suck him dry.

Then Gena stood up, rising like a great tidal wave, and she hovered her foot over the roses with a mocking air. “I think you’re just been dethroned, …chump.” Her foot crashed into the earth with the force of thunder.

But it was nothing compared to the cheers of the audience, for their whoops and laughter drowned out the world. There wasn’t a single girl sitting down now. Their screaming whoops echoed through the stands and they began to stamp their feet, mimicking Gena’s finishing move on the former champion, who they had forgotten like yesterday.

“Gena!” they chanted. “Gena! Gena! Gena! Gena! Gena!” Their banners and posters of Jinx were shredded and scattered and fluttered through the air like loose paper.

Gena stared at them, doing a complete turn from where she stood. They were screaming her name. They loved her. As she finished her turn, an unshaken smile began to form on her lips. She raised her hands, showing off two peace signs, and their cries only amplified. Again, she raised her foot and stamped Jinx’s corpse into the earth. They barreled over in laughter.

Jinx stared up. His eyes were bloodshot and gone and the leetle was somewhere next to him, smushed to a ball of warm guts. All he could see after Gena’s foot lifted was the forgotten petals of the roses sliding over his face like blankets. It was only after his eyes closed for the last time that he realized those petals were his own blood and he would never wake from this sleep…