- Text Size +

Alex, Jessica and her mother looked out the window, horrified expressions covering their faces. The two titanic soles stretched on for seemingly thousands of feet, and Alex felt as if nothing had changed at all. He knew those soles. Those were his mother's soles, positively enormous out in the middle of the city. He'd been so incredibly tiny at their mercy, and now he was normal size, looking forward to a life without them. But now, here they were, just as big as before, and now a threat to far more people.

"How the hell..." Jessica's mother murmured. "She must have been hit by the serum. She could've been sleeping in the bedroom and grown from there."

"Oh, my God," Jessica cried.

Alex merely stared, a grim expression on his face. He was angry. He'd just wanted this whole ordeal to be over so that his life could return to normal and he could finish school. He had a bright future. He already had a few scholarship offers, and he could've made something of himself. All this effort to finally become normal sized again and continue on with his life for his mom to become gigantic.

But then the anger started to subside, and fear began to take its place. His mother was huge. She had already proven to be extremely dangerous when he was shrunk, so she was likely just as much so at her new size. And now she was a threat to many more people. 

All three were genuinely scared. Alex looked back at the destroyed half of the house. His mother had probably been in her room when they used the serum. It must've hit her as well, and since she wasn't given the antiserum, she grew. Alex rubbed his face and turned back around.

"Turn on the TV," he ordered. Jessica grabbed the remote and flipped on the television. Luckily, this part of the house was okay and the electricity was still working in this part.

As expected, every station was showing the unfolding scene downtown. Aerial shots of a seemingly endless body filled the screens. Jessica stopped on a station at random. This one featured an aerial view of his mother's feet, though the helicopter couldn't get anywhere near high enough to film from above. A female broadcaster was covering the story.

"...not sure yet, but presumed height of at least 50 miles. The unidentified woman appears to be asleep at this point. We advise you to obey all orders from the authorities and to evacuate the city immediately. Take only the most necessary of items with you. We'll keep you updated with the latest news as the story develops."

The three looked at each other, each as scared as the last. Jessica's mother headed into the kitchen and opened the fridge. 

"We'd better get a move on," she said, beginning to grab food from the fridge.

"I'm gonna take a shower, then," Alex said, heading towards his bedroom to retrieve some clothes.

"What?" Jessica blurted out. "Are you crazy? We have to get out of here now, Alex; we don't have time for you to take a shower!"

"Relax," Alex replied, raising his voice a little as he entered his bedroom. "It doesn't really matter either way. My mom probably won't wake up in the 10 minutes I'm in the shower. Besides, even if we left now, don't you think everyone is doing the same thing? We'd barely get anywhere. We'll have time."

Jessica opened her mouth to say something but decided against it. She got up and helped her mom in getting supplies. 

Alex grabbed a sweatshirt, some pants and undergarments. He headed into the bathroom and turned on the shower, locking the door behind him. 

It took a few minutes for the water to warm up enough for Alex to be able to get in, so he needed to wash himself fast. The moment he stepped into the shower he temporarily forgot the situation at hand and let himself slip away for a few moments. He hadn't had a proper shower in days, and he'd acquired a month's worth of stench and filth in that time. It felt so good to let the water cascade down his body and wash away all the grime that he was coated in. 

Alex quickly washed his hair and spent a good deal of time on cleaning his body. He washed himself off and jumped out of the shower, grabbing a towel from the closet to dry himself off. He dressed and brushed his hair, giving it a very brief blow dry before exiting the bathroom.

Jessica and her mother were just about ready to leave, having grabbed a bunch of food and water for whatever may be ahead. Alex turned off the TV, which was still reporting about new findings about his mother. Alex grabbed a backpack and a few other bags as he walked towards the door. The three of them took a good look around the house, and when ready, headed out to the car.

Alex got in the car, finally being able to ride in a seat instead of next to a woman's toes. It felt good to be able to sit full sized in the backseat. Led Zeppelin's Good Times Bad Times was fittingly playing on the radio as Alex strapped in.

As the car pulled out of the driveway and headed towards the highway, the true scale of everything was revealed. Alex's mother's soles loomed ominously in the sky, towering over absolutely everything. Her enormous body stretched on endlessly into and past the rest of the city. 

Honks filled the air as hundreds of other people filled the roads, desperate to escape the city before something happened. Dozens of cars ignored all rules of the road, driving over lawns, through lights and bumping into others. People didn't care anymore about those things. Escaping was the only thing that mattered.

The roads were filled completely with cars, and Jessica's mother wasn't able to drive five feet before she encountered the first vehicle. Behind her were dozens of other cars doing the same thing as her. Like others, Jessica's mother laid on the horn, knowing it wouldn't do anything. 

Things finally seemed to clear up for a bit, and they were traveling quickly down the road, others cruising with them. Helicopters soared through the sky in large numbers, their propellers slicing through the air. The opposite side of the road was empty, save for army vehicles and the occasional person who didn't know what was happening.

As they approached a short tunnel, a loud noise filled the air, and the earth rumbled and shook. Unbeknownst to them, Alex's mother was merely twitching her toes in her sleep. Jessica's mother desperately tried to keep control of the car but was unable to. She slowed the car as much as she could as the car swerved off the road and into a nearby wall. Alex lowered his head instinctively as the vehicle collided with the concrete.

Alex opened his eyes shortly after the crash and breathed a sigh of relief when he saw that Jessica and her mother were both okay. They were all a little beat up, but no one was seriously injured. 

Jessica's mother tried to get the car going again but to no avail. She cursed as she got out the car and ran to the trunk.

"The car's not starting, guys," she said as she grabbed their stuff out of the car. "Grab as much as you can. We have to go on foot from here."

Alex stepped out of the car and headed back to the trunk. All around other cars had crashed on various places. Even one of the guard rails had been messed up a little, the supports partially fallen off.

Alex pulled the backpack on and grabbed a couple more bags before slamming the trunk shut. The three of them headed up the exit which they had fortunately crashed near. They had to leave a few things behind as they couldn't carry them. 

Fighter jets and helicopters soared by overhead as the trio ran through the city, trying to find somewhere to go. They didn't know where they were headed, they just knew they needed to get out of here. 

The sound of cars filled the air as a small military convoy came barreling down the street, headed towards Alex's mother. They headed into a coffee shop on the corner which was long empty. 

Jessica threw down her bags and slumped into a chair. Her mother dropped her stuff and headed behind the counter.

"Yep," she sighed. "Almost everything's gone. Nothing we can make use of."

Alex looked out of the large windows and saw his mother's soles stretching out, with hundreds of soldiers and planes closing in on her. He looked away and walked back towards the others, dropping into a chair opposite Jessica.

"Hey, Alex," she said softly. Alex looked up at her, a sad look on his face.

"Everything is going to be alright. I'm sure of it," she said, trying to comfort Alex.

"I hope so," he replied grimly. "Things don't look too good out there."

"It's okay. I know things will work out."

The two sat in silence, a dismayed look on their faces. Jessica's mother finished scrounging around and returned to the table.

"So... what do we do now, Mom?" Jessica asked.

"I... I don't know," she answered. "What can we do? I don't know where we should go. Doesn't seem like any place is better off now."

Alex looked around the coffee shop, taking in the details in the abandoned signs and overturned shelves.

"Guys, I... I just want you to know I'm sorry for all this," Jessica's mother said quietly, looking down. "This is all my fault."

"No, it's not," Alex retorted quickly. "Don't put yourself down. It was a mistake."

"A huge one! Quite literally..." she replied, shaking her head.

"It doesn't matter. It is what it is. We can't change it now, not yet. We have to act and keep going. Without you, I would still be a speck on the floor, and all those cities would be scattered around at microscopic size. You're the one that saved us all. This is just a side effect. We'll get through this."

A loud rumbling interrupted their talk. The ground shook violently as the noise grew in volume. Alex barely saw out the shaking window the shape of his mother's foot, moving at incredible speeds.

"Get down!" Alex shouted as he dove to the floor. Jessica and her mother followed suit and hit the deck as the building shook. Debris fell from the ceiling and the tables they had just been sitting out fell over.

"We have to get underneath something!" Alex yelled, dragging himself over to the counter and trying to get underneath it. It was impossible to walk; the world was shaking too much.

A roaring sound filled the air, nearly deafening the three. Suddenly, all was quiet for a moment. The shaking stopped and the world returned to normal for a second. Alex looked over at Jessica and her mother, and both of them looked back with concerned looks on their faces.

Then an enormous boom sounded out, and the little coffee shop trembled like never before. Alex was thrown a few feet into the air from the sheer force of whatever just happened and slammed hard into the underside of the counter. He fell to the ground with a thud and groaned as the few objects still on shelves (and the shelves themselves) fell onto the ground. 

A booming, feminine voice rang out from high above, like a goddess. It could be heard clearly for miles around, even over the ringing of the most recent boom. Daggers of fear penetrated Alex's heart as he knew, as did everyone else, the only person that voice could belong to.

"What the hell did I just step in?"

Chapter End Notes:

Not sure how often I will be able to update this story but I'll try to do so fairly often