- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

The mystery of the Slow Walker ends...and deepens.  And the truth about Wendy's carpet.

    Sondra woke up.  Too early.
    She hadn’t gotten enough sleep.
    Thinking about Wendy.
    Thinking too much about Wendy.  Wendy and the kiss.  Hey, Wendy and The Kiss might make a good song title.
    Then there was the noise.  This was a goddamned earthquake proof building and she was sure she could hear Wendy masturbating through the wall.  Really getting into it too.  Sondra blushed, imagining she had inspired the raucous bout of self love.
    She felt kinda’ horny as she pulled on her running clothes.  She considered skipping today, but no.  Skipping training was for losers.  After forty five minutes of calisthenics she decided to give herself a bit of a break and keep her run to two miles.  Even so,  she was sweating buckets when she got back to the dorms.  Last night seemed to hang on her like a weight. 
    Wendy was great, but ....
    But what?
    She hadn’t even known her twenty four hours and she knew they were already friends.  So what if last night got a little out of control?  It was only a kiss...only a kiss...yeah, right.
    He phone took her out of her speculations with a buzz.
    “Go for Dolan.” She answered.
    “Uuuhhh...hi, Miss Dolan, this is Detective Railsbach.”  The voice on the other end said.
    Uh oh, too much thinking about Wendy.  She had to deal with a possible assault charge, maybe.  Oh well, soldier on.
    “How can I help you, Detective?”
    “I just wanted to give you a heads up.” He sounded hesitant, maybe he was talking to her off the record. “The person who attacked your friend committed suicide last night.”
    That didn’t make any kind of sense.  Sondra’s mind ran over scenarios.
    “Miss Dolan?” Railsbach’s voice came again.
    “How the hell does that happen?”  Sondra queried.
    “Very strangely.” The detective answered.  “Guy never seemed to wake up, never gave a statement.  His lawyers showed up and he never even talked to them.  He just got ahold of a scalpel blade at some point and cut his wrist.  Nobody noticed until the blood was all over the floor...”
    “Wait!” That didn’t make any sense. “He never woke up...so he never made a phone call?  And his lawyers still showed up?”
    “That’s why I wanted to give you a heads up.” Railsbach stated.  “This could mean gang related.  We’re not sure.  It could mean he has friends who saw what happened.”
    Sondra was silent for a moment, thinking of possible repercussions.  Then, “Can you help me get a conceal carry permit?”
    “Nothing that works on campus.”  He said, without hesitation.  “And you’d need to prove a definite, specific threat...which we can’t.”
    Sondra realized she might have a valuable contact in the detective.  He wasn’t putting her off defending herself, he was stating the reality of the situation.  California campuses were victim disarmament zones, pure and simple.  She didn’t want him to think she didn’t value his time, and they seemed to be at the end of her options.
    “Understood,” She tried to sound diplomatic.  “I appreciate the warning.  Can I assume we never talked specifics?”
    “Nice talking with you,” He concluded, “Miss Dolan.”
    “Detective.” She hung up.
   
    After a brief shower,(she didn’t understand why every other girl seemed to take forever to clean up) passed by Wendy’s room on the way back to her’s.  The door was open.  The girl was on a lap top, cross legged on her carpet.  She considered quietly slipping by, but that seemed like she was...not being a friend.
    Knock. Knock.
    “Wendy,” She said.  “Wanna go get breakfast?”
    “Sure.”Wendy smiled sweetly over her shoulder, “After I finish talking to the family.”
    Sondra stepped in.  “Did you tell them...”  She asked, “you know...about the weirdo?”
    There was kind of a long pause before she answered, “Yes, I didn’t want them to worry.”Then went back to typing.
    “Well, tell them to stop worrying;”Sondra advised, “Guy killed himself in the hospital last night.  So no further investigation, nothing.”
    “Couldn’t somebody stop him?” There was way too much sympathy in her voice.
    “Wendy,”  Sondra explained, “you can’t have eyes on somebody 24/7.  It does’t work like that.  But check this out: guy never makes a statement or phone call, but his lawyers still showed up.  Crazy huh?”
    “Yeah...” Now Wendy sounded thoughtful.
    “So,” Sondra needed to change the subject before Wendy came to the same conclusions she had, “How’s the family’s?  Voldemort been bothering them?”
    “Stop it!” Wendy scolded, then in a light voice, “They say they have to meet you.”
    “Why...?” Sondra’s mind raced.  What had Wendy told them?
    “Because you saved my life...” Wendy informed her, “Duh...”
    “They comin’ up?” Sondra asked, trying to sound casual.
    “I’m going down on the weekend.”  Wendy sounded hopeful.  “You could drive me?”
    “Okay.”  Sondra was so relieved she hadn’t thought about going to a commune.  What were they going to think of her?
    “Cool.” Was all Wendy had to say, typing away.
    Sondra’s mind drifted for a moment.  A lull in the conversation.  Her eyes fell on the Nymphs and Satyrs rug.
    “Did one of them give you your carpet?” She inquired.
    “My mom had it.” Wendy explained, still typing. “She hung it on my wall when I was a baby.  It’s my lucky rug.”
    “What makes it lucky?”  Sondra asked.
    Wendy rolled her head all the way back and grinned upside down at her, “I was conceived on it.”
    “Oh...”  Sondra went slowly to her room.

Chapter End Notes:

Thanks to everyone who's been patientlly reading my story.  A little more character stuff to come.  I hope some of you are enjoying it.  Does anyone know how to update my catagories?