- Text Size +

Interlude 2 

By  

Asukafan2001 

  

Silence was everywhere. The only noise coming from a droplet of water into Peyton’s bathroom sink. It happened like clockwork every few seconds.  Drip drop, drip drop, it would annoyingly happen again and again as Nancy breathed in the stale bedroom air. As her eyes sleepily stared out the bedroom window while she watched life move on for nearly everyone but her.  

In the morning she could watch families bundle up and rush to their car on cold days as parents take their kids to school. She could see kids shoveling the sidewalks in the winter. In the fall she could remember seeing kids raking leaves and mowing lawns. All oblivious to her existence. No longer was her disappearance a news story or an event.  

The bedroom door creaked open as Peyton rushed into the room tossing her backpack onto her bed. Nancy didn’t think much of it until Sabrina walked in after her. Nancy watched helplessly as Sabrina looked over at her habitat with a glint in her eye. She hated when Sabrina came over. All of Peyton’s other friends would leave her alone or ask Peyton permission before doing anything with her. Sabrina didn’t seem to have that restriction.  

“You’re going out with Bradley tonight are you Pey” Sabrina asked as she walked towards the cage.  

“Yeah, you aren’t going to be weird about this are you?” Peyton shouted back as she walked into her closet. “I don’t have feelings for him. I just don’t know how to tell my dad.” 

“I know, it’s an awkward conversation to have. Especially because your parents actually care.” Sabrina said pausing with a hint of sadness displayed on her face briefly before it disappeared. “My dad’s response was be yourself as long as it doesn’t tarnish the family name or the business” Sabrina said in a mock parental tone as she reached towards Nancy. 

Nancy’s eyes darted from left to right as she scurried away in a vain attempt to avoid Sabrina’s hand. As she looked behind her, she could see the hand lowering faster and faster towards her. Trying to avoid Sabrina taking her out. Nancy would dart left, then run right, however the attempt was for not as she watched the massive wall which was Sabrina’s hand slide towards her trapping her in a corner.   

Looking on helplessly Nancy watched Sabrina’s fingers curl tightly around her. She could feel the warmth of her hand radiate into her body. She hated to admit that it felt a little nice. However, as she was pulled upwards, she felt the confines of her cage give way as Sabrina lifted her into the world at large.  

Nancy struggled to remember how long it had been. It made her sick knowing that she was deriving such pleasure of being free from a cage like she was some kind of animal getting to go on a walk with its master. Everything felt worse knowing that it was Sabrina of all people freeing her from captivity.  

Sabrina dropped Nancy into her opposite hand and ran her fingers over her body a few times before gently scratching her.  Nancy could feel her muscles relax as Sabrina gently stroked and scratched at her body. It felt like a transcending experience as her body gave in to Sabrina’s touch.  

“I’m sure your parents care Sabrina. They just aren’t good at showing it. Besides, even if they don’t, you know I care.” Peyton Said walking out of the closet in a new outfit.  

“I know you do. I just want to be able to show it. I don’t want to feel like your secret.” Sabrina said as she sat down on Peyton's desk chair. She fidgeted her foot against the leg of the chair in an attempt to hide her nerves. 

“I never meant to make you feel like I was hiding you or embarrassed of our relationship. In fact, I actually got something for you. I was waiting till valentine's day even though I know that’s so cheesy.” Peyton said as she went to her nightstand drawer. She rummaged through the drawer for a couple seconds before pulling something small out with her hands held tightly together. Peyton took a deep breath as she walked towards Sabrina and opened her hands revealing a small jewelry box.  

“awww Peyton” Sabrina said as she shifted Nancy to her coat pocket before grabbing the jewelry box from Peyton’s hand.  

“It’s a promise ring. I want you to know how important you and our relationship is to me. You aren’t my dirty secret and I just need a little more time to tell my family the truth about me. But I wanted to give this to you as a symbol of my feelings and commitment to you.” Peyton said as she leaned in and kissed Sabrina. 

Nancy couldn’t believe what she was seeing as she held onto the edge of Sabrina’s winter jacket looking up at the two girls. She couldn’t make out the majority of the words that were said but she knew the meaning of the ring. It was a commitment ring of some level. She couldn’t be certain as to what level of seriousness. She had known their relationship had grown but she never expected anything like this. As she looked over at Sabrina a chill ran down her spine.  The idea of being Sabrina’s property as well was horrifying. It was bad enough being lorded over by Peyton who had no loveloss towards her. However, she had never cared for Sabrina. She felt she was a bad influence and now she could do nothing but watch as the two lovingly kissed.  

Nancy was smushed between the two titanic bodies as they embraced. She never felt as small as she did at that moment.  She was helpless to intervene and nothing more than a viewer of the choices they were making. As they pull apart Nancy slunk back further into Sabrina’s pocket. The lining of the pocket was soft and it felt like a treat to lay on something besides woodchips. 

“I will bring Twerp back later or tomorrow at school.” Sabrina said as she zipped the pocket with Nancy closed. Moments later she was thrown across into the opposite wall of Sabrina’s pocket. She grasped the lining with her hands hoping to steady herself. She couldn’t remember the last time Peyton actually took her anywhere or she left the confines of Peyton’s room. She could feel her heart racing at the notion of leaving Peyton’s room.  

The dread and nervousness she felt were new feelings. She never thought that she would feel this way over something as trivial as leaving.  Everything Peyton had predicted had happened and it was making her sick. She didn’t realize it till now but her world revolved around Peyton in the most literal of senses. Food, work, knowledge, it was all provided by Peyton. Even her view of the world was warped and now merely an image of knowledge and facts that were provided to her.  

Nancy felt smaller than she ever had before as Sabrina continued to walk. The glass ceiling had broken in her mind. She realized she couldn’t think of one actual current event taking place in the world. The world could be moving towards devastation or it could be on the brink of a major technical breakthrough and she was none the wiser either way.  

Light shone into the pocket interrupting her thoughts. Nancy resigned herself to being grabbed by Sabrina as she watched the girls hand reach into the pocket and her fingers curled around her. The scent of her lotion relaxed Nancy’s mind a little which made her sick. 

As her eyes adjusted, she realized she had no clue where they were. As she looked around, she could see a fenced in yard but it was not a backyard she knew. Even though it was dead from the cold of winter she could see the signs of a meticulously kept lawn. Landscaped trees with what looked like flowerbeds that would get planted underneath in the spring. it dawned on Nancy that this must be Sabrina’s house. She remembered a conversation from before the accident where she mentioned her Dad was the founder and owner of Generitech. As Nancy looked at the house, she couldn’t believe how large it looked in comparison to her own. She wouldn’t call it a mansion but it was clearly one of the more expensive houses in the area.  

Feeling the sharp descent of Sabrina’s hand, she was set down on a bricked in patio. The coldness of the weather made her shiver as her feet stood on the bricks. Even with her cotton fur she still felt a shiver as the wind blew across her body. This made her realize this was the first time she had felt the wind with this new skin of hers. She wondered if this is what it is like for a dog or cat? She could feel the coldness of wind but she didn’t feel as cold as she would have expected. A bit of warmth was wrapped around her.  

“#######” Sabrina said looking down at Nancy as she held a small object in her hand. Sabrina then threw it to the other side of the patio.  

“######” Sabrina said again as she looked down at Nancy with a grin on her face. She then grabbed Nancy by the scruff of her neck like she was a small dog and carried her across the patio setting her down next to small rubber ball. It was more like a beachball to Nancy but it was nothing more than super ball you’d get for fifty cents from a vending machine at a store.  

Nancy looked at Sabrina as she reached down grabbing the ball. She held it in front of her face as she said the same command. It was infuriating to Nancy as she looked at Sabrina confused. She knew that she should be able to understand what was being said to her. She watched again as Sabrina threw the ball across the patio. Nancy watched the ball bounce a few times before coming to a rest. She looked up at Sabrina wondering if she was going to pick it up again when she felt the boot of Sabrina push her towards the rubber ball.  

“#######” Sabrina said again this time pointing at the ball.  

As she looked up at Sabrina and followed the point her eyes fell back onto the rubber ball. She took a few steps towards the ball and looked back at Sabrina who motioned her to forward. As Nancy felt her pace quicken, she realized how good it felt to stretch her legs. She begun to run enjoying the exercise. She couldn’t remember the last time she got to actually run. As she reached the ball, she picked it up and ran back to Sabrina who bent down grabbed the ball and threw it back nearly to where it was before. 

“What the hell” Nancy wanted to say but she couldn’t find the words.  

“######” Sabrina said again pointing at the ball. This time as Nancy ran towards the ball and grabbed. She carried it back to Sabrina.  

“Fetch” She heard Sabrina say this time.  It startled her at first. As she looked over at the ball and back Sabrina. “Fetch” Sabrina said again as Nancy ran back towards the ball. Her face was beat red beneath the cotton fur as she grasped the ball and carried it back towards Sabrina.  

This isn’t happening to me. Nancy screamed in her mind. She wanted to stop herself. She wanted desperately not be enjoying this. But her mind and body were both enjoying the stimulation. As she carried the ball back, she found her mind wondering where the ball was going to go next. While her human part of her was furious. She couldn’t believe she was being forced to play fetch as if she was nothing more than a dog.   

As Nancy started bringing the ball back, she felt the ground shake. She looked to the left to see another giant walking towards Sabrina. She was bundled up in a thick looking white sweater with a fashionable scarf wrapped around her neck. The girl's denim jeans disappeared into a pair of boots. Nancy noted the family resemblance between the two. They had similar facial structures and the same long blonde hair. Only the other girl looked a little younger than Sabrina and was a bit shorter. She looked up at the two girls discussing something. Nancy could hear their voices plain as day but she found the majority of the words were simply beyond her comprehension. She would pick out words here and there but not enough to understand the conversation.  

Sabrina bent down while continuing to talk and threw the ball once again. Nancy wanted to stop as she desperately wanted to listen in and try to figure out what they were talking about. However as soon as the ball was thrown her body reacted instinctively and she found herself fetching it. As she carried it back this time Nancy felt winded and her legs were sore. She could tell that her time locked in that cage Peyton kept her in was not doing wonders for her fitness.  

“Good girl” Sabrina said in a tone voice a person normally reserves for speaking to a baby or young child before grabbing the ball from the infinitesimal sized woman and putting it back in her jacket pocket.  

Nancy stared up at monstrous teens mortified that she was literally being played fetch with. She felt even worse that a part of her enjoyed it. That as much as she hated Sabrina and god did, she hate this brat that it felt good run and stretch her legs. That being told she was good somehow pleased her. She couldn’t understand how Peyton could do this to her. How her mind and body could betray her. She should be the master of her own body. 

“I can’t believe that’s Peyton’s step mother. I mean you told me what happened. I saw the pictures on your phone. Just seeing her down there is unreal. I mean you were playing fetch with her like you do the dogs.” Sabrina’s sister Shannon said as she eyed the small woman.  

“She's no different than a dog now. She's just a dumb animal. Watch this.” Sabrina said to her sister as she turned her gaze back down towards Nancy.  Even now having been months since the accident seeing the diminutive woman at her feet exuded a certain excitement from her. Sabrina remembered the miserable woman getting her in trouble with her parent's countless times over the years. Now she derived such pleasure out of her seeing like this.  

“Go on, Potty!” Sabrina said shooing Nancy into the grass.  

“You aren’t serious” Shannon said while laughing as she looked down at Nancy with her curiosity filled eyes.  

A wave of sickness wafted over Nancy as she stepped further into lawn. The large brown stalks of grass rose up around her like some kind of dead forest. She could feel her bladder wanting to explode but she desperately wanted to hold it. She didn’t want to give Sabrina the satisfaction of ordering her to use the bathroom outside. Making matters worse it was in front of this stranger. However, moments later her bladder gave way. Nancy dropped to her knees as she relieved herself.  

“See Shannon, animal.” Sabrina says with a superior smirk across her face.  

“So, why’s she here?” Shannon asked as her eyes fixate on the small woman.  

“I felt like teaching her fetch. Plus, it looked like she needed some exercise and you know how Peyton is.” Sabrina said while absentmindedly playing with her hair.  

“So, can I play with it?” 

“what you mean Twerp? Of course not.” Sabrina said 

Nancy was finishing up using the bathroom. She was looking upwards at the two giants standing mere feet from her as she walked back onto the patio. Desperately she wanted this to be over. This all to be a horribly vivid nightmare. However, it was still so humbling to use the bathroom outside before these two giants and it's supposed to be just normal. Now having finished just having to wait until they are ready to leave. She remembered when she was a young child her parents would take her somewhere and she would be ready to go but she would have to wait until they were ready. Now, her life was back to a similar station. Nancy wondered how would she be able to adjust to a life with no freedoms. The only freedoms she has are illusions.  

As Nancy continued to stand her muscles were aching more and more. Her stomach growled as she continued to wait on them to finish talking. In her mind she wondered if master was here if she would have to be waiting this long for food. As soon as she thought it, she stopped herself. Nancy shuddered as she thought of Peyton in such a way. It was worrying her that in her mind these slip ups were happening more and more. She could feel herself losing touch with her humanity in a way she never thought possible.  

If you would have asked her six months ago if sitting or lying on the floor would ever be considered normal, she would have scoffed at the notion. Now the mere act of sitting in a chair or on the sofa like a person does is so completely foreign. It was at this moment in time Nancy realized that Peyton had won on a subconscious level. The idea of equality or same treatment and considerations seems almost absurd. As she looks at Peyton and now at Sabrina the notion of being on the same level as them is not a concept her mind is capable of computing.  

“Come, follow” Sabrina said as the girls start walking towards the patio doors. Nancy fumed as she started running after them. Each step they took dwarfed her meager steps. Her legs were still burning from the exercise Sabrina had given her earlier. As the glass sliding door slid open Nancy looked on terrified, she was going to be left behind. She knew she would never survive the outdoors. People hadn’t evolved any tools to deal with giant animals.  

“Hurry” Sabrina said in an agitated tone over having to wait on Nancy who was just thankful Sabrina was waiting for her. The fact that the young woman was using simple and deliberate commands was not lost on her. It was strange to now be forced to go through life unable to communicate in a meaningful way those around you. It was a strange contrast to how her days normally went. Peyton almost never took her out. She rarely if ever spoke to her other than to order her around.  

So as Nancy reached the sliding doors there was a large lip that led into the house. It would have been inconsequential at her previous size. However, in this new life that was thrust upon her it might as well have been a mountain.  As her eyes looked above the massive wall, she could see Sabrina looking down at her. Sabrina grinned as she shook her foot from side to side causing one of her shoelaces to fall to the ground in front of her. Nancy gulped as she looked at grungy faded shoelace. At one time it was a sterling white however now it was a dingy gray with a few darkened dirt spots.  

Nancy never was one to work much on upper body strength. As a child she always hated having to do pullups. Not having any other real choice Nancy grasped the thick shoelace and started pulling herself up.  Her arms began to shake as made it halfway. She looked down briefly serendipitously and soon regretted it. The floor looked further down than she expected. Knowing she was too far up to stop now she continued climbing finally reaching the tip of Sabrina’s shoe. As she pulled herself onto the toe end of the shoe Sabrina slid the door closed.  

“Come, follow” Sabrina said. As Nancy reached for anyone kind of support, she felt herself slide from the shoe and tumble onto the hardwood floor. By the time she looked up Sabrina was already walking into the kitchen. Her words Come and follow echoed into her mind. The words of Sabrina felt somehow different then Peyton’s others friends. She felt compelled to comply.  

As she walked across the hardwood floor her heart was racing. She appeared to be in a dining room but it looked like something out of the movies. A large table rose above her, mountainous chairs surrounded the table in the distance. As she looked at the table and chairs, she couldn’t help but feel out of place. Even if she was full sized, they seemed to be a level of elegance that was beyond her.  

Running into the kitchen winded Nancy. She felt her side cry out in pain as she gasped for air. She couldn’t believe how out of shape she felt. As she entered the kitchen saw the girls standing at the island talking as they sipped on drinks. She realized how dry her mouth was as she watched Shannon lift the cold bottle of water up to her mouth. Several moments passed as Nancy watched entranced by the thought of cold water. It wasn’t until Shannon had set the bottle down that Nancy realized she was salivating.  

“I bet Twerp is thirsty. Grab the water dish from under the sink” Sabrina said ordering her sister as she pulled the bar stool out from the kitchen island and sat down.  

The ground shook a bit as Shannon sighed with a bit of annoyance before walking over to the kitchen sink. Cabinets opening and closing echoed through Nancy’s ears as she heard the faucet turn on. The opening of cabinets and drawers went on for a few moments before the floor shook once again. Seconds later found herself staring into the stocking clad feet of Sabrina’s sister.  

Sabrina snapped her fingers a few times before asking Nancy “What do you say Twerp?” in an authoritative tone that was pointed enough to cause her sister to pause.  Nancy looked up at the two giants almost confused. Her mind was reeling it was such a simple question but she struggled to compute the meaning. Nancy took a few steps back unsure of what to do or say. Her mind raced through every possibility  

“Puh-please” Nancy sputtered out her mind finally arriving at those words after being unable to think of anything else. She could feel her heart still pounding but now from nervousness more than tiredness from the run into the kitchen from the dining room.  

“Good girl.” Sabrina smirked looking down at the defeated, once proud woman.  

The metal shiny metal dish was massive to Nancy. It was clearly meant for a large dog however in her current state she didn’t mind. As she approached the bowl she knelt down on the floor. She pressed her chest against the metal side of the dish as she lowered her face into the water. The cool water felt soothing against her chapped lips as she lapped up water like a dog.  

“She was really thirsty. Are you hungry girl?” Shannon asked as she lowered a second dish. Nancy looked up surprised to see a heaping bowl of what looked to be honey nut cheerios. Nancy couldn’t believe what she was seeing. She couldn’t remember the last time she was given people food. Her mind slowed to a crawl as she thought about how long it had been before finally landing on Thanksgiving. Peyton dropped a single scrap of leftover turkey into her cage. That seemed like a lifetime ago now.  

“She can’t have that. Dump it out. She has to eat the kibble. People food will tear her stomach up and it's not good for her.” Sabrina said  

“Oh-okay” Shannon said looking down at the miniature woman with a hint of sadness.  

Nancy tried to respond. She wanted to interject however her voice fell on deaf ears. She was a grown woman and these two teenagers were discussing her well-being as if she were but a child who had no say.  Nancy couldn’t believe how close she was to real food. Now she watched Shannon take a few steps over to the garbage can. Her foot depressed on metal lever causing the lid of the garbage can to lift up. She was forced to watch as the cereal fall into the garbage can. As Shannon’s foot moved off the lever the lid slammed down seemingly ending any hopes Nancy had of eating regular food.  

“Here you go” Shannon said bending down setting a small dish of dog food down next to the water bowl. She gently patted Nancy’s head before standing back up. Nancy couldn’t help but notice a second much larger dish of food in her other hand.  

“Rex, Ally” Shannon yelled as she set down the second larger food bowl. Nancy felt the floor pounding as two colossal Doberman Pinschers bounded into the room and begun eating. Nancy nervously eyed the dogs as she inched away from her water bowl. She stared briefly at her own food bowl but continued to step backwards.  

A doorbell rang causing the two dogs to bark as Sabrina stood up. She commanded both dogs to heel. On command they stopped and waited for Sabrina to pass. She looked down at the two large dogs and told them both to sit and stay as she walked out of the room momentarily. A few minutes later Sabrina walked back into the Kitchen with a box of Pizza she set down on the Kitchen island. Shannon opened the box smelling the cheese pizza.  

“I think she's scared Sabrina. She’s not eating or drinking anymore.” Shannon said sitting down as Sabrina sighed a bit annoyed as she looked down at Nancy. “You can’t blame her those dogs must look huge to her.” Shannon said while grabbing a second piece of pizza. 

“I suppose not.” Sabrina said standing up and walking over to the person she used to view as Peyton’s step mother. She followed her gaze over to the two large dogs. The idea of Peyton’s stepmother eating food from a dog dish just like her dogs was empowering. 

Nancy’s stomach over powered her fears as she finally moved towards the food bowl. She hungrily ate the same food as the dogs. She knew Sabrina was deriving a sense of empowerment from this all. But she didn’t care. She had learned that she needed to eat when she was allowed. As she no longer had the luxury of just walking over to the refrigerator later.  

“That’s right, eat like the animal you are.” Sabrina said walking over the island grabbing a slice of pizza for herself. As Nancy ate she didn’t want to believe she now lived in some kind of bizarre version of hell where Sabrina was actually lesser to evils.