- Text Size +
Chloe lay fast asleep in her bed just beneath the window of the Carson’s living room. Most dogs would probably find it uncomfortable on such a warm, summer day, but being a small Australian terrier meant that she sometimes found it hard to keep warm in an air-conditioned home, and her spot was the perfect place to soak up the sunbeams that radiated through the glass. It was her favorite place to sleep and lounge about during the day, though she certainly preferred sleeping at the foot of her human’s bed during the night.
Early that afternoon, Chloe was suddenly roused by the sound of a commotion outside. She turned her head to listen, instantly recognizing the sound of her human master speaking with another human.
Chloe stood up, stretched her tiny legs, and waddled into the kitchen. She plopped her tiny bottom on the cool, kitchen floor, near the back door, and awaited her master’s imminent return. Chloe’s sharp hearing meant she knew exactly when her human had arrived; her tiny tail wagged anxiously for the door to open.
But the door remained closed; something was wrong. Chloe heard her master making strange noises just outside the door. It sounded like her human was in pain. The little dog began whimpering and pawing at the back door, whining to be let out.
Then, Chloe heard another strange sound: a squeak much weaker and high-pitched than her human’s voice. She couldn’t understand what it was, but her instinct told her the tiny voice was in trouble and needed help. Chloe’s whining became much more frantic when her human became silent, and the squeaking voice became much more prominent: the voice was in desperate need of help, and Chloe was determined to assist.
Finally, after several minutes of waiting, the back door opened, and her human walked to the door. Chloe was ecstatic to see her companion, but knew there was a job to be done outside. She began jumping and pawing at her master’s leg to alert her to the situation outside; the tiny dog could tell by her human’s face that she was upset, but that didn’t matter right now: she had to get her master to take her outside. The human said something in its gibberish language, then reached for the door handle. As soon as the door was open, Chloe burst outside, bound and determined to find the tiny voice and lend a helping paw.

——————————————————————————————————————————

Rachel somberly entered her back door. As normal, there was her faithful dog Chloe, so happy to see her that she excitedly jumped and pawed at her leg.
“Hi Chloe.” Rachel greeted her, “I know you’re happy to see me, but I’m not really in the mood to play right now. Why don’t you go outside, OK?”
Rachel opened the back door again and the tiny dog quickly scurried outside, no doubt needing to do her business. She dropped her sandals by the door and headed for the stairs.
“Rach, is that you?” her mother called from the upstairs bedroom.
“Yeah mom,” Rachel cringed as she neared the top step, not wanting to answer any questions. “I’m just gonna take a shower, OK?”
“OK, but go ahead and bring your towel and any other dirty clothes you want me to wash downstairs when you’re done.”
“OK, fine.” Rachel said as she quickly slipped into the bathroom, closing the door behind her.
She leaned against the door and sighed, relieved that her mom didn’t pry any further. Thankfully, a shower was just the thing she needed to wash away all the grime and bad feelings, and also give her time to think about what she would tell her mother.
Rachel gathered up her towel and kicked off her shorts, about to step over to the tub; that’s when she noticed how dirty her feet still were, even after brushing all that dust off.
First things first, she thought, I’ve gotta clean off my feet.

——————————————————————————————————————————

A few moments later, Mrs. Carson exited the master bedroom wearing her favorite workout clothes: a white tank top and dark maroon, Capri leggings. They were nothing fancy, but they were comfortable. She figured she’d try to get in a light workout during her day of housework, although carrying laundry up and down the stairs and vacuuming were enough of a workout on their own.
She was about to head down the stairs, but opted to check in on her daughter first. She strolled over to the bathroom door and gave it a light knock.
“Rach?” she called, opening the unlocked door.
“Mom, geez!” Rachel exclaimed. At present, she was sitting on the edge of the tub in only her shirt and underwear, clipping her toenails.
“Sorry hun,” her mother apologized. “I just wanted to make sure you heard me about your laundry.”
“Yes, mom. I heard you,” Rachel snapped irritably, “Now, can I please have some privacy?!”
“OK, I’m sorry. I’ll leave you be,” Mrs. Carson said, closing the door, though neglecting to pull it enough to latch it.
With that, she headed downstairs to grab a quick drink, then begin her workout.

——————————————————————————————————————————

Chloe ran out of the house so quickly that she nearly tumbled down the stairs into the grass. She was a dog on a mission: her ears were perked up and her canine senses were heightened, scanning for any trace of the tiny voice she’d heard earlier.
Only now, she couldn’t hear it.
Her little body started to shake; her head was snapping in all directions. Chloe began sniffing the grass, desperate to find any sign of the tiny animal in need. Her nose was picking up all sorts of smells: grass, bugs, and the well-known scent of her human.
Then, Chloe picked up on another familiar scent—a scent she knew quite well—the scent of the young human from next-door, but it was extremely faint. Oddly, it seemed to be mixed with the smell of her master, but definitely not as strong. She carefully followed the trail from the edge of the fence all the way towards the steps, almost passing over the small spot where the scent was strongest. Chloe dug her little nose into the grass to get a better sniff, it was only a tiny plot of dirt, but the smell was definitely strongest here.
Suddenly, she spotted a tiny speck on the ground. At first, Chloe thought it might just be a remnant of dust, but then, it started moving. Her little eyes grew wide, and her head cocked with confusion: it looked and smelled like the young human from next-door, only it was far smaller now.
The tiny figure backed away fearfully, squeaking at her. Chloe instantly recognized the sound: it was the squeak that she heard from earlier. She’d found it; her mission was a success! Her little tail began to wag, and she assumed a disarming stance, not wanting to frighten the tiny creature and let it know she was there to help.
The creature approached her, and she put her tiny snout closer to it. The tiny figure climbed aboard one of the strands of fur near her nose. Once again, the figure emitted its squeaks of gibberish, though it sounded something like: “GO INSIDE CHLOE FIND RACHEL.”
Upon recognizing the name of her human, the little dog bounded up the steps to the porch, then began whining and pawing at the back door, begging to be let back inside.

——————————————————————————————————————————

Mrs Carson descended the stairs and headed into the kitchen. She quickly grabbed a glass from the cabinet and filled it with water from the faucet.
As she finished her first big gulp and lowered her glass, she heard Chloe whining at the back door. She set her glass down on the counter and headed over to let the tiny dog in.
No sooner had Mrs. Carson opened the door, Chloe instantly shot past, scampered through the kitchen, and scurried up the stairs. She was quite surprised at the little dog’s reaction; it was as if Chloe were a dog on an urgent mission.
“What a silly little dog,” Mrs. Carson chuckled to herself as she shook her head and closed the back door.

——————————————————————————————————————————

Chris held tightly to the strand of fur on Chloe’s snout as she anxiously waited at the back door of the Carson home. He wasn’t sure exactly what awaited him on the inside, but he was filled with newfound hope, confident that his new best friend wouldn’t rest until he was safely in the arms of another human.
Chris honestly couldn’t believe it: the whole time he’d been trying to get the attention of the giant humans all around him, and it was a dog that finally came to his rescue. He felt so lucky that dogs had such a good sense of smell, otherwise he might never have been found.
Suddenly, the huge back door swung open; Chris looked up and, for a brief moment, surveyed the giant form of Rachel’s mother, in what appeared to be a white tank top and some yoga pants.
Before he could contemplate the site before him any further, however, Chloe immediately accelerated into the kitchen. Chris held on for dear life, not wanting to fall off the dogs snout at her current pace. Winds as fierce as those found in a wind tunnel blew past his face, but he was bound and determined to hold on tight, knowing full well that the giant dog was his best chance of being saved.
Though he cringed at what Rachel would think about his diminutive size when she found him, like it or not, Chris knew wholeheartedly that Chloe was headed her way.

——————————————————————————————————————————

Chloe hit the 2nd floor landing and scuttled over to the bathroom door, following her master’s scent. As she came upon the closed door, the dog paused for a moment at the barrier before her. Not one to give up easily, she placed her paws on the door; amazingly, it opened.
Chloe scampered into the bathroom and over to the bathtub, finding Rachel sitting on the side of the tub, tossing some toenail clippings into a nearby wastebasket. The dog immediately hopped up onto the ledge and climbed up into her lap.
“Chloe!” Rachel exclaimed, caught completely off guard at the sight of her dog, especially considering the bathroom door had been closed. What’s more, Chloe was acting very strange. The little dog was climbing over her overturned foot laying on the side of the tub, pawing at her lap, and whining, as if desperately seeking attention.
Normally, Chloe was excitable and a very friendly dog, but she was also well behaved. She would only jump into someone’s lap when given permission. The only times she wouldn’t wait was if she could either tell the person was sad and needed emotional support, or if something was wrong.
“What?” Rachel asked, “What is it girl?”
Then, much to everyone’s surprise, Chloe sneezed.
The next few seconds seemed to happen in slow motion.
The sneeze snapped the little dog’s head downward, spraying a thin layer of snot all over Rachel’s foot.
Chris, who had been clinging to Chloe’s snout, frantically squeaking for Rachel’s attention and making the animal increasingly desperate, was fired away from the dog’s nose at lightning speed, and sent screaming directly into the 2nd and middle toes of Rachel’s right foot, making a tiny slurping sound as his body slipped in between the massive digits.
“Ew! Chloe?!” Rachel exclaimed in disgust. “Thanks a lot!”
She pushed the dog off the edge of the tub onto the adjacent bathmat, using her hand to brush away the sticky goop.
“Yuck!” Rachel exclaimed again. “Dang it, Chloe!”
With much frustration, Rachel picked up her dog and walked over to the bathroom door, setting Chloe down outside the threshold. She tried to close the door, but Chloe moved into the doorjamb, whining somberly.
“Chloe, GET OUT!” Rachel scolded her, pushing the dog away. “Let me shower in peace. Geez!”
She gave the dog one huge shove, then closed the door quickly before Chloe could intercede again. The poor dog pawed desperately at the door to be let in, but Rachel just ignored her and headed back over to the tub to sit down.
She picked up and examined her right foot again: the thin layer of snot felt so slimy amongst all the dirt and grime already covering her sole. Thankfully, she was about to shower, although Rachel had left a slimy trail from the door to the tub that she’d have to clean up afterwards.
With her foot overturned in her lap, Rachel reached for a nearby soap dish, leaning on her foot for support. She carefully set the dish onto the ledge next to her, then reached over to turn on the faucet.

——————————————————————————————————————————

Chris was struggling desperately to re-orient himself. The air smelled of sweat, dirt, and foot funk, and his entire body was coated with thick, slimy snot. He couldn’t move, couldn’t call for help, and was quite sure he was going to suffocate.
Everything had happened so fast: one minute, he was clinging to Chloe’s fur; the next minute, he was wedged between Rachel’s dirty toes. Of course, the only thing that mattered at that moment was that he had to get out of his current predicament before anything else happened.
Unfortunately, something did happen.
Before Chris could do anything, his environment flipped completely upside down. The tight walls around him squeezed and contracted continuously, pushing him to the breaking point. He tried calling for help, but his face was completely plastered to the sticky skin which muffled his puny cries.
Thankfully, Chris’s torture didn’t last long. Once more, his environment flipped him upright, and he felt the pressure release enough for him to start squirming again. He reached his arms out and slid his body upwards.
Then, Chris saw light. He pushed his arms through the hole above him, found his grip, and pulled. He emerged, taking a huge breath of fresh air. His lower torso and legs were still stuck, but at least, for the moment, he could breathe. Chris wiped the goop away from his eyes to see what was happening.
All around him were giant toes, and his tiny body was currently wedged between the second and third ones of Rachel’s enormous overturned foot. Her soles were an unhealthy shade of dark brown, and the same goop that he was completely covered in also coated the surrounding surfaces.
Chris looked up fearfully, once again laying eyes upon his gigantic friend, who was currently sitting on the edge of the bathtub, looking around, and shooting casual glances at her foot.
“RACHEL!” he shouted up to her, waving his arms frantically. “RACHEL, DOWN HERE! IT’S ME, CHRIS! HELP ME! I’M BETWEEN YOUR TOES! LOOK AT YOUR TOES, RACH!”
Chris’s tiny voice squeaked frantically, trying to get the attention of the giant teenager, but Rachel could neither hear or see him, not that she was looking in his direction anyway.
The tiny figure watched helplessly as Rachel’s left hand reached across for the soap. Suddenly, her giant form began leaning forward, and the shift in weight put immense pressure on her foot. Chris was in the middle of screaming her name when the walls compressing his lower half squeezed tighter, forcing all the air out of his lungs. He clenched hard, writhing in pain, and willing his teeny body not to pop like a grape.
It seemed like an eternity, but Rachel finally grabbed the soap and shifted her weight back. Chris gasped for air, clutching his abdomen, trying to curb the pain.
“Rach,” he struggled to say, the pain hurting more when he talked. He gazed upward again, watching the giant girl lay a large tray of soap next to her. Chris’s eyes grew wide, suddenly realizing that his troubles were just beginning.
“Oh no!” he exclaimed to himself as he watched Rachel reaching over him towards the bathtub faucet.
“NO! NO, RACHEL! WAIT!” Chris called up, desperately waving his arms as if he were waving off a jumbo jet. He frantically pushed against the giant toes’ grip around his waist.
“RACHEL, DOOOOON’T!”
Chris heard the loudest groaning of his tiny life, followed by a torrential waterfall impacting the tub below.
“NO, RACHEL! DON’T WASH ME!”
Chris’s tiny squeaks went entirely unheard over the rushing water, and Rachel couldn’t distinguish his tiny body from the rest of the dirt amongst her toes. Anyway, she was too preoccupied with testing the water, making sure it was just the right temperature. She kept thinking about how quickly she wanted to cleanse her feet, anxiously awaiting the moment she could step beneath the shower and wash off the stench of that bad day.
It took a few moments for the water to reach the desired temperature, and Rachel wiggled her toes with delight when it was finally ready for her. She grasped the bar of soap and dipped it into the stream of water to get it wet; then, as she worked it between her hands to build up a lather, she moved her foot closer to the faucet just to wet it a bit.
Poor Chris was frantically screaming for mercy as the giant foot carried him unwillingly towards the ominous downpour. The moment the tip of Rachel’s toes hit the stream of water, Chris started drowning. He gurgled and sputtered, thrashing his body about in a panic. He feared he might be washed away, the force of the water dislodging him and washing him down the drain to his death. Luckily, however, he actually dodged the full force of the waterfall, as Rachel’s toes deflected the downpour around him.

Rachel retracted her foot and brought it back into her lap, setting the soap back down into the nearby dish; then, she eagerly reached her soapy hands towards her foot.

Unfortunately for Chris, the worst was yet to come.
As the giant foot retreated from the gargantuan waterfall, Chris was coughing and gasping for air through the dirty water that had washed into his mouth.
“Rachel!” he coughed weakly. “Rachel, stop....before you drown me!”
Chris waved his arms and struggled helplessly as the giant girl placed her foot back onto her lap, simultaneously placing the bar of soap back into the nearby dish. He started screaming in terror as he watched a pair of enormous, soapy hands head right for him.
Rachel’s left hand connected right in the middle of her sole, then began running up and down, the length of her foot, scrubbing from ball to heel. Chris watched the giant hand fearfully as it moved ominously closer to him with each stroke. He was so preoccupied with Rachel’s left had, however, that he was completely taken by surprise when her right hand, which had grabbed the top side of her foot to steady it, slid up and clenched the tops of her toes.
Chris yelped as the giant toes collapsed around him, squeezing him from all directions. The pressure was immense; Chris was amazed he hadn’t already been squished. Something about his shrinking had increased his resilience, but it did practically nothing to curb he pain. He only hoped the torture would end sooner rather than later.
Meanwhile, Rachel was slathering soap all over her foot, scrubbing off as much dirt as she could with each pass of her hands across her sole, and each time her hands ran up and down her foot, Chris was squeezed and pulled as the toes around him scrunched and contracted, crushing him with every pass.
At one point, Rachel’s ran her fingers along the crevice were toes met her foot. Chris was mowed down by a huge digit as it forced his entire body back down in between her toes. And while he desperately struggled to force his way back to the surface, Rachel was running her hands under the faucet, rinsing off the dirt and grime that had transferred from her foot. Then, she rubbed her left hand over the bar of soap to build up some more lather.
By the time Chris had emerged once again into fresh air, Rachel’s fingers were already nearing their destinations. Her left pinky finger slid between her big and second toe, then her ring finger slid between her second and third toes, plowing square into Chris’s tiny body. Chris was spread-eagle face-first on the giant finger tip as it pushed him along through the toe crevice.
Then, the inevitable:
Rachel’s finger popped out the other side of her foot; the forward momentum that had kept Chris plastered onto the giant finger ceased, and his tiny form slipped off. He grasped desperately at the finger for something to hold onto, but it was no use.
As the dubious teenager scrubbed and lathered her foot above, her tiny friend was screaming for help as he tumbled to his imminent demise into the tub below...