- Text Size +
For nearly 30 minutes, Chris had to endure the torture of being constantly squished between Mrs. Carson‘s toes while she stomped about the kitchen preparing lunch for Rachel and herself. She went back-and-forth from the refrigerator, to the counter, to the microwave, preparing the food and pulling things out of cabinets to place on the table. Then, after she’d put the last of the leftovers into the microwave and started he timer, Mrs. Carson stomped over to the bottom of the stairs to summon her daughter:
“RACHEL!” she yelled up the stairs, “LUNCH IS ALMOST READY!”
Mrs. Carson could hear her daughters footsteps on the floor above; then, a door opened:
“I’ll be down in a minute, mom.” Rachel replied unenthusiastically.
It was several minutes later, after Janet had set the last of the food on the kitchen table, when she finally heard Rachel slumping down the stairs.
“Hey hon,” Janet said. “Go on and sit down. I’m just getting us some drinks. What would you like?”
“Uh, just water, mom,” Rachel said glumly.
“Okay, you want ice?”
“Sure, that’s fine.”
Janet prepared a couple glasses of ice water and carried them to the table, then took a seat herself.
“OK kiddo, dig in,” she urged her daughter. “I warmed up some meatloaf: your favorite.”
“Thanks, mom.”
Rachel was hesitant to grab any food; she was almost feeling sick to her stomach.
“Honey, is everything alright?” Mrs. Carson asked, taking notice her daughter’s demeanor.
“Yeah,” Rachel lied, “I’m....just not that hungry.”
“Oh! Well, are you feeling OK?”
“Yeah, I’m okay....I guess...” Rachel’s voice trailed off.
“Hunny,” Mrs. Carson said, putting her hand on her daughter’s, “if there’s something wrong, you can always talk to me.”
“I-I know, mom, and I appreciate it.”
“Hey, is this about me brushing you off earlier?”
Janet continued before her daughter even had a chance to respond.
“I’m sorry if I upset you. You know how I get sometimes.”
“No, it’s not that, mom. It....it’s something else.”
“Well, tell me,” she urged. “What’s going on?”
Rachel heaved a heavy sigh: she couldn’t hide the truth anymore.
“After my walk, I-“ Rachel hesitated, “I went next door to check on Chris.”
“OK?”
“And....And, um...” Rachel began to tear up; she tried to hide her eyes, not wanting her mother to see.
“Rachel, hunny, what is it?”
Rachel tried to speak, but no sound came out.
“Hunny, is it Chris?” her mother asked, now extremely concerned, “Is it something serious?”
“No....I mean, I don’t know....”
Rachel started becoming frustrated at not being able to form the right words.
“Come on Rach, just spit it out!”
“It’s Shannon, mom!”
“Shannon?! What about her?” her mother inquired, listening intently.
“She’s been acting really strange lately.” Rachel ejaculated, though it wasn’t really the matter that she wanted to discuss.
“‘Strange’?! In what way?” Mrs. Carson inquired.
“She’s been so defensive when I ask about Chris that she won’t even let me know how he’s feeling, let alone let me see him,” Rachel sighed. “It’s like she’s been on edge ever since she freaked out by the pool on Saturday.”
“Well, hun, taking care of a sick kid is usually pretty stressful.”
“Mom, I can understand stress, but Shannon’s become downright overprotective. She won’t even let me just say ‘hi’ to him.”

As the mother and daughter chatted on above, far below, a tiny figure was trying to push his way out from between the giant toes of Mrs. Carson’s right foot. Chris pushed and grunted with all his might trying to free himself, but the massive toes made his work difficult.
“Mrs. Carson,” he strained, trying to keep her toes apart. “Mrs. Carson, Rachel, HELP!”

“Rach, if he’s sick, he’s sick!” Mrs. Carson replied bluntly. “You don’t wanna be around a sick kid and risk catching whatever he has.”
“Yeah, but mom, Shannon’s story doesn’t add up. She keeps saying Chris had come down with a ‘little something’,” Rachel said with air quotes, “but if he’s been sick since Saturday, it must be a lot more serious than she’s letting on.”
“Well, I’m sure she just doesn’t want to worry you,” her mother reasoned. “That’s all.”
“But I am worried, mom!” Rachel rebuffed. “I think Shannon’s up to something.”

“RACHEL,” Chris shouted. “Shannon IS up to something. SHE SHRUNK ME!”

“Oh, honey, I’m sure you’re just overreacting.” Mrs. Carson balked.
“Yeah, well get this: during my walk earlier, I ran into Sue Ann in the park; she told me that she stopped by yesterday to say ‘hi’ to Chris after she got back into town, and Shannon told her that Chris had just come down with something YESTERDAY. Why would Shannon lie about something like that?”
“Well, hun, maybe Sue Ann just got confused and assumed Chris had JUST fallen ill.”

“NO, MRS. CARSON! PLEASE, LISTEN TO HER!
“EEK!!!”
Chris was caught off guard when the giant woman’s toes shifted, causing him to slip down further into the crevice.

“Is this why you’re so upset?” Mrs. Carson asked, “You’re worried about Chris?”
“It’s not just that mom: after talking with Sue Ann, I got curious, so I stopped by Chris’s and asked...” Rachel took a couple deep breaths, not sure if she could hold back the tears, “asked what was wrong with him and....Shannon nearly bit my head off. She told me to never come by anymore.”
“She got mad at you just for stopping by?”
“Yeah,” Rachel sniffled.
“Oh, Rach, I’m sure she didn’t mean it.” Mrs. Carson reasoned. “She’s probably just on edge from having to take care of a sick kid all week.”

“MRS. CARSON, PLEASE! SHANNON’S EVIL! RACHEL, PLEASE TELL HER!”

“Mom, you don’t understand. Shannon’s always teasing Chris and giving him a hard time, especially when I’m around. And when they’re alone, Chris tells me about how weird she acts around him: always wrestling and tormenting him, and lots of times, she even hugs and kisses him, and not in a friendly way. I-I think Shannon likes him; I mean ‘likes him, likes him’.”
“Oh Rach, I’m sure you’re just imagining things,” Mrs. Carson reassured her daughter.

“NO, RACH! YOU’RE NOT IMAGINING THINGS! I’M DOWN HERE! DOWN HE-“

“Shannon’s looked after Chris for years, and I’ve never noticed anything like that.”
As Mrs. Carson finished her statement, she unmindfully used her left foot to scratch a tiny itch between the toes of her right. Her foot landed right on top of the poor, shrunken boy, pushing him right back down into the crevice and cutting off his tiny pleas for help. As the giant foot rubbed back and forth, Chris could only make muffled noises, his body shoved violently back and forth.
“Mom, I think something’s happened to Chris; I think Shannon’s done something to him, and I think she’s trying to hide him from me....from everyone.”
Muffled squeaks emanated from between Mrs. Carson’s toes, as if trying to comment on the conversation, but they were unintelligible.
“Sweetheart, look, if it’ll make you feel any better, I’ll go over and talk to her later. I’ll figure out what’s going on and let you know. I’m sure we can clear this whole mess up. OK?”
“OK, mom,” Rachel nodded, wiping the tears from her eyes.
“Good, now why don’t you grab something to eat?” Mrs. Carson insisted. “It’ll make you feel better.”
“Alright,” Rachel sighed, reaching for a piece of meatloaf and putting it on her plate.

As the two females took a few bites of food in uncomfortable silence, Chris desperately pried his way partway out of Mrs. Carson’s toes. He was gasping for fresh air, disheveled and almost reeling from the foot smell.
“Ugh! MRS. CARSON, PLEASE! IT SMELLS DOWN HERE!” he whined, trying to pull the last bit of his body out from between her toes.
Unfortunately, the giant woman occasionally wiggling those meaty toes complicated his efforts. At one point, Mrs. Carson scooted her feet back under her chair; Chris was yanked backwards, slamming face-first into one of the huge digits, leaving his nose slightly bloodied. By the time the huge feet had situated themselves, Chris’s legs and right arm were caught between her toes, leaving him awkwardly and uncomfortably trapped on his side.
“Umph!” he strained, tugging on his trapped arm, trying to free it. “MRS. CARSON! RACHEL! HELP!”

While the tiny boy struggled below, squeaking for help, Mrs. Carson spoke up again:
“You know, I’ve never knew you cared so much for Chris.”
“He’s my friend, mom,” Rachel shrugged, “of course I care. I’m worried about him.”
“Yeah, but I’ve never seen you get this upset over not seeing him.” Mrs. Carson retorted.
“I’m not upset because I haven’t seen him, mom. I’m upset because Shannon yelled at me.”
“Yeah, but I don’t think that’s the only reason, hun.”
“Okay, yes, it’s upsetting not knowing what’s wrong with him, or how he’s doing, or....you know, when he’ll get better...” Rachel’s voice trailed off.
“...And you miss him.” Mrs. Carson chimed in, finishing her daughter’s sentence.
“Of course I miss him, mom: I haven’t seen him for 5 days.” Rachel said nonchalantly.
“Mm-hm, that’s what I thought,” Mrs. Carson nodded, turning her attention back to her food.
“Wait, what are you getting at?” Rachel inquired defensively, unsure about her mother’s questions.
“Nothing,” Mrs. Carson replied offhandedly, “Just....curious.”
“Yeah,” Rachel said dubiously, “curious about what?”
“...about you having feelings for Chris.”
“WHAT?! I do not!”
“You don’t have to get defensive about it, hun. It’s just an observation, that’s all.”
“Mom, get real!” Rachel stated, becoming flustered.
“I am real, and it’s not really all that surprising. I mean, the two of you have been friends forever; it’s only natural that you two would eventually develop feelings for one another.”
“Mom, I do NOT have feelings for Chris! A-And he doesn’t have feelings for me!”
“Are you sure?” Mrs Carson queried. “He hangs out with you all the time.”
“Yeah,” Rachel replied blatantly, “because there’s no one else in the neighborhood to hang out with!”
“OK, calm down. No need to get embarrassed.”
“Well, it IS embarrassing, mom.” Rachel rebuffed, blushing slightly. “I mean, just because we hang out a lot doesn’t mean we ‘like, like’ each other, it just means we....have fun together, that’s all.”
“I see,” her mother replied, taking another bite of meatloaf. “Have, uh, you ever asked him about it?”
“Mom, GEEZ!” Rachel exclaimed, clanging her fork on her plate as she slammed it down in frustration.
“Hunny, relax. I’m just asking.”
“There’s nothing between us like that! Period!”
“Uh-huh, because he’s TOLD you there’s nothing between the two of you, or because you just assumed?”
Rachel didn’t reply; she only rolled her eyes and sighed.
“Rach, look,” Mrs. Carson said, shifting in her seat to face her daughter more directly—and unintentionally shifting her feet.

“EEP!!” Chris yelped as the giant toes squeezed him again.

“I know the two of you go to the movies together sometimes,” Mrs. Carson continued, “and ride bikes, and play video games and what not, but sometimes, that’s how these things start. I know I’m your mother and you don’t want to talk about these things with me, but sometimes it’s just better to vent your feelings. All I’m saying is that I’m here if you need a sympathetic ear.”
Rachel sighed and turned her head away.
“Hey,” Mrs. Carson said touching her daughter’s arm to reestablish eye contact, “I promise I won’t bring any of this up again, especially when Chris is around, and I promise not to act any differently around him when he’s here. I’m just trying to help you make sense of your feelings, and I want you to feel comfortable enough to come to me when you need to talk. OK?”
Rachel sighed, though it was obviously in acknowledgement of her mother’s wishes.
“Look, after lunch, I’ll go upstairs, shower, and clean up a bit, then I’ll go over and talk to Shannon, OK?”
Rachel nodded.
“Good,” Mrs. Carson said, patting her daughter’s arm before leaning back in her chair.
Rachel kept reacting like she was going to speak up, but ended up rethinking her words each time. She only fidgeted in her seat and rubbed her feet against one another to curb her self-consciousness.
“Wou-“ she stammered, rubbing her left arm shyly, “would you just promise not to say anything to him?”
“Hunny, it’s not for me to say,” her mother reassured her, putting her hands up defensively. “I promise I won’t say anything if you don’t.”
“Thanks, mom,” Rachel replied softly, showing just a glimmer of a grin.
“I just think it’s kinda cute that you have a crush on Chris,” Mrs. Carson said nonchalantly after a moment of silence.
“Mom!” Rachel cried, giving her mother a light shove to the arm. “Knock it off.”
“OK, OK,” her mother laughed, “I’m just teasing ya. But, in all seriousness, maybe the next time you see him, you should say something.”
“Uh-huh, yeah, sure,” Rachel said, raising her eyebrows cynically. “I’ll get right on that.”

——————————————————————————————————————————

Little did either party suspect—or even fathom—that a tiny Chris had been listening in on their whole conversation. Though he had managed to free his trapped arm, thanks to a temporary ease in pressure on Mrs. Carson’s toes, he still had yet to pull the rest of his lower half out from between the two massive digits.
Currently, however, his struggles had nearly ceased: he was flabbergasted by the women’s conversation, still trying to comprehend and process what he’d just heard.
For a moment, when Rachel stated quite firmly that she didn’t have feelings for him, Chris’s heart sank. He felt embarrassed and dejected, thinking that he’d misjudged the extent of their friendship. But then, when Mrs. Carson compelled her daughter to admit it, he was beside himself. Though Rachel hadn’t actually stated it outright, Chris’s heart fluttered, firmly assured of the giant girl’s feelings towards him.
His mind harkened back to seeing Rachel naked in the shower: how embarrassed he felt seeing her so exposed, so vulnerable, and how humiliated he’d felt for her, despite having no conceivable inkling that he was unintentionally spying. Now that he was aware of her true feelings, Chris felt even more ashamed and guilt-ridden than before.
“RACHEL!” Chris shouted up wistfully. “RACHEL, I-I NEVER KNEW YOU FELT THAT WAY! RACHEL, PLEASE, FORGIVE ME!”
Alas, his laments went unheard, relegating he tiny boy to resume his efforts to free himself from Mrs. Carson’s toes.

——————————————————————————————————————————

Rachel felt so much better now that she’d had her heart-to-heart talk with her mother. Her appetite had certainly returned: she’d scarfed down the entire piece of meatloaf on her plate and was reaching for seconds.
As she plopped her next piece onto her plate, however, she realized something was off. Rachel casually glanced around for Chloe, who would normally be begging for table scraps.
“Hey mom?” Rachel asked as she leaned back and peered beneath her edge of he table, “have you seen Chloe?”
“Yeah, I, uh, put her outside a little while ago.”

Moments after calling out to her, Chris was stunned to see Rachel looking under the table.
“Rachel?!” Chris gasped as his friend’s giant face come into view. He began frantically waving to her.
“RACHEL, DOWN HERE! IT’S CHRIS! I’M DOWN HERE, RACHEL!”

Rachel turned her body to the back door; though she had no intention of getting up at that present moment to let the dog in, her mother restrained her anyway:
“Oh, please leave her outside, hun. She was driving me nuts earlier while I was trying to get the laundry done.”
“You know, she’s been acting really strange today,” Rachel commented. “Ever since I got back from my walk, she’s been pestering me.”
“Really?” Mrs. Carson asked.
“Yeah, like earlier, when I was trying to clean up in the bathroom, she hopped up on the tub next to me; and when I locked her out so I could shower in peace, she waited outside the door until I was finished, and the moment I stepped out, she started hopping up and down, pulling at my leg the whole way to my room. I was practically tripping over her the entire time I got dressed.”
“Oh, hunny, she probably just missed you all morning and wanted some attention,” Mrs. Carson reasoned.

“NO, MRS. CARSON!” Chris shouted up, desperately trying to correct her, “CHLOE WAS TRYING TO TELL YOU ABOUT ME!”

“Yeah, but that’s not the weirdest thing,” Rachel explained, “just a little while ago, when I was finally ready to give her some attention, she started sniffing at my foot, like, trying to smell it.”
“Why? Did ya step in something?” her mother giggled.
“Mom, I literally just showered, and I spent a good amount of time scrubbing my feet; if I HAD stepped in anything, it was long gone by then. In any case, Chloe kept pawing at my foot; I had to practically lift it up and show her that there was nothing underneath it before she’d leave me alone.”
“You know, now that you mention it, Chloe was sniffing MY feet earlier, too.”
“Are you sure YOU didn’t step in anything?” Rachel mocked.
“I’m pretty sure I’d know if I stepped in something,” Mrs Carson retorted, scooping up another bite of food, wiggling her toes playfully. “She was probably just smelling the sweat from me exercising. *Giggle*, though I can’t imagine they smell very good.”

“MRS. CARSON! SHE WAS TRYING TO TELL YOU I’M DOWN HERE!
“ACK!!”
The giant toes started wiggling and shifting again; Chris hung on tighter as he screamed for mercy. Thankfully, the wiggling didn’t last long, and soon, Chris was straining to free himself again. As he took his next deep breath, however, he got a whiff of foot funk freed by Mrs. Carson’s wiggling goes.
“MRS. CARSON, STOP WIGGLING YOUR TOES! I’M DOWN HERE!”
*Cough*
“UGH! AND NO, THEY DON’T SMELL VERY GOOD!”

“Hey, you don’t suppose there might be something wrong with her do you?” Rachel inquired, showing concern.
“Oh hunny, relax. I’m sure she’s fine.” her mother reassured her.
“So, why has she been acting so weird?”
“Rach, she’s a dog. Who knows why she does what she does?”
Rachel sighed, trying to think of an explanation for Chloe’s erratic behavior. It was more than just odd, it just wasn’t like her. She’d never act so brazen; unless...
“You think, maybe she’s trying to tell us something,” Rachel blurted out.

Chris immediately ceased his struggles; his ears perked up, and his heart was pounding.

“Like what?” Mrs. Carson asked, slightly confused. “What do you mean?”
“Like, maybe something’s wrong and she’s been trying to tell us,” Rachel clarified.
“Rachel, I’m sure Chloe’s fine.”
“No, that’s not what I mean, mom. I mean, maybe she knows something’s going on around here and she’s trying to tell us.”

“YES, RACHEL! THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG!” Chris cried. “MRS. CARSON, PLEASE, LISTEN TO HER!”

“Hunny, relax,” Mrs. Carson said, trying to calm her daughter. “Chloe probably just senses how upset you are. Do you realize how empathetic dogs are? They read facial expressions, and they can certainly tell when their owners are happy, sad, upset...”
Mrs. Carson gestured to her daughter at the end of her statement, as if providing living proof for her claim.
“OK, that....might explain why she’s been pestering me,” Rachel acquiesced. “But that doesn’t explain the whole feet thing.”
“Rach, I told you: I’ve been exercising and you’ve been out for a walk,” Mrs. Carson reciprocated. “There’s probably all sorts of new smells she picking up on.”
“And I told you that I had just gotten out of the shower,” Rachel retorted.
“Well....she’s probably just smelling the scent from the soap you used,” Mrs. Carson dismissed, thinking quickly. “You know how sensitive her nose is.”

“NO! NO, MRS. CARSON!” Chris shouted, pounding on her toes in frustration. “THAT’S NOT IT! PLEASE, LISTEN TO HER!”

“Maybe,” Rachel sighed, “but mom, I still have this....this feeling that something’s wrong.”
“Hunny, look: you’re just a little on edge because of what happened earlier. Once I clear everything up with Shannon, you’ll feel a lot better. I promise.”
“Yeah, maybe you’re right,” Rachel relented.

“NO, RACHEL! DON’T LISTEN TO HER! SHE’S WRONG! PLEASE, HELP ME!”

“You all finished?” Mrs. Carson asked, seeing that both their plates were empty.
“Yeah, I’m full,” Rachel replied, looking at her mother with endearment. “Thanks mom.”
“No problem,” Mrs. Carson replied, grabbing her daughter’s hand and shaking it with understanding. “Come on, help me clean up, then you can try to enjoy your afternoon while I shower.”

“MRS. CARSON, RACHEL, WAIT! DON’T mpf-“
Chris’s cries were cut off. The giant toes that had been holding him in place suddenly shifted again as the giant woman stood up from the table, sucking him back down between them again. Unable to take solace in the fact that Mrs. Carson would at least be checking in on his well-being, Chris continued his futile struggles and muffled pleas for help, while the two girls put away the leftovers and cleaned up the kitchen.
“All right,” Mrs. Carson sighed as she closed the dishwasher. “I’m going upstairs for a shower.”
“OK mom.”
“Oh, hey! Do me a favor: would you listen for the washer to finish, and transfer the stuff to the dryer for me?”
“Sure, mom,” Rachel nodded. “I’ll take care of it.”
“Great, I’ll start the last load once I come back down. Alright, I’m in the shower.”
Mrs. Carson’s heavy feet slapped the linoleum as she made her way out of the kitchen and stomped up the stairs, eagerly anticipating a rejuvenating shower, unaware of the tiny passenger between her toes.
Meanwhile, after Rachel heard her mother’s bedroom door close, she heard Chloe scratching and whining at the back door to be let in. She casually walked over to the back door and pulled it open, ready to greet her puppy with open arms.
“Hey, girl!” she called happily as her dog crossed the threshold. Rachel was expecting a loving greeting, but as soon as Chloe entered the kitchen, she started sniffing the floor intently, as if searching for table scraps.
Rachel watched dumbfounded as the dog smelled her way under the kitchen table and into the living room. She sighed, rolled her eyes, and shook her head as she closed the back door, basically giving up on trying to figure out Chloe’s strange behavior. Then, Rachel made her way back to the living room, plopping her ass on the couch, figuring she might as well watch a little television while she waited for the washer to finish.