- Text Size +

While tapping his hands on the lab's steel wall, Dr. Chuck Brawn felt the ground tremble. He smiled to himself, and put his coat back on.

The Lovely Angels towered over his lab, holding the machine's three components in their hands. By their feet, the three thieves were bound in ropes, tied back to back - being carried away by jailers.

They screamed over each other, entering the cruiser one by one:

"You've made a serious mistake! Let me go, seriously!"

"Prosperity has rendered you slothful and drunk! Space Colony Goliath is a rotten, worm-filled apple, waiting for the early bird to -"

"Haaah, you did it! Good luck with the next mission, Kei and Yuri!"

And then, no more were left. The scientist applauded with wide arm movements. "Bravo! Congratulations to both of you, Lovely Angels. You'll be rewarded handsomely for this." He looked up at the steel devices they had in their hands, canopies high above his head. "Are the resizer pieces safe?"

Kei peered down. "Yeah, sure. But you know... there were some things about those criminals that don't click."

Dr. Brawn cocked his head. "Lucifer still has tricks up their sleeves, you're saying?"

Yuri smiled. "More like not enough tricks. The agent I was chasing said he was fleeing to a satellite base. A satellite base that hasn't existed for months in Earth time. Shouldn't a Lucifer member know that?"

Kei lifted a finger. "And my guy said he wanted to warn us about something, and that our employer wasn't that great. Among other stuff." She picked her ear.

Yuri leaned back. "That last one was expecting the 3WA. And she was a bit too happy about us catching her."

Kei shrugged. "Really, none of them were subtle, or sneaky at all. It's as if they wanted us to notice them."

"Like they wanted us to stop them."

Dr. Chuck Brawn laughed. "I'm an engineer, not a criminologist. Who knows what goes on in the minds of lowlifes?"

"Oh?" The red-headed giant leaned in. "Then how did you know so much about them when you were briefing us? Their gang membership, how many there were, their escape pods..."

Her partner peered closer, too, her shadow filling the evacuated street. "When did you see that for yourself? If they knew you were watching, wouldn't they have kidnapped you? Unless those weren't Lucifer's henchmen..."

"...But yours!" They finished together.

Chuck Brawn's mouth remained shut. He dug his buff hands deep into his pockets. "...Very good, you two. You've gotten smarter since last time."

"What?" Kei groaned.

"Look out!" Yuri yelped.

But before either could react, he took out a canister spewing smoke, and gas mask. The Angels coughed, tears forming in their eyes. They held their hands to their mouths, falling to their knees. And within seconds, the once-immobile doctor leaped in the air, grabbing the size device's components one by one.

He gloated as they choked on his smokescreen. "Yes. This is just a disguise. If I stole the Resizer's pieces myself, Goliath would go on lockdown. Then, that scientist would call the 3WA, before I could get the three parts together. Even if I escaped, I'd have a whole star system chasing me. So, I organized a false flag operation, hired some help to pose as Lucifer members, and impersonated Dr. Brawn." He jammed the components together - the Vizorium energy tank, the laser, and the beeping computer terminal. "This way, if the Trouble Consultants caught wind, they'd deliver the pieces right to me. And with their precious prototype in my trustworthy hands, nobody would investigate departing ships... Not until I was on the other side of the galaxy, enjoying my spoils."

Yuri choked. "Right into... *cough*... a trap..."

Kei clenched her fist. "Why... *cough*... Why are all the hot ones... *hack*... criminal masterminds...?"

By the time the air cleared, it was too late. The fake scientist had assembled his device, and fired it at himself. "Just think - if you hadn't forced my hand, I'd have left Goliath in peace. I'd have let you live!"

Blue light covered his body, surging through its muscles. The skin on his face bulged outwards - before falling off. It was a mask; behind that mask lay the face of a woman. The lab coat's buttons popped, then its seams, then the dress pants and shoes ripped to shreds. She grinned, with grit teeth expanding across her wide jaw, and her black eyebrows tensed. They framed a red spot on her forehead.

"Oh, my..." Yuri stumbled back, as the growing woman equaled her height.

"Oh, geez..." Kei shuddered, feeling the increased body heat wash over her.

"Oh, my..." Yuri nearly fainted as the shadow grew, and grew, towering over them both.

"Oh, geez..." Kei cringed at the sight of buildings collapsing under the bare, expanding soles.

Amid shaking streets, they looked to each other and shouted in sync: "Oh, no!"

Looming over them was the villain that had posed as Dr. Brawn...

Sandra Guts, the former Trouble Consultant.

Chapter End Notes:

Dr. Chuck Brawn is a 3-way joke: the masked wrestler Charlie Brown from Outta Town (itself a Peanuts reference); rocket scientist Dr. Wernher von Braun (inspiration for a thousand morally ambiguous German scientists in fiction); and Brawn = Guts, to hint at their real identity.