- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

I am adapting to the site format, and trying to increase the chapters length as more ideas come to mind. Hope you enjoy and thanks for taking the time to read this story. If you spot any misspelling, please leave a comment and I will try to fix it as soon as I can.

Aside from Janine, Jake still had a pair of younger sisters to look out for, Kate and Maggie. Two balls of hormones going trough puberty, each in its own style. Maggie, having just turned 16, was all about boyfriends and parties. Your typical girly girl enjoying the first year of high school. Sometimes Jake had to pick her up, for she was just far to wasted to go home alone. He didn’t really mind her drinking habbits, god knows he had experimented things far worse in the past, but often warned her not to overdo and be on the look out for the bastards that could pry at a young blue eyed blonde.

 

- You worry too much – she always answered half awaken – no one even dares to come near me because of you. They think you are a gang leader or something hahahahaha! If they knew you can’t hurt a fly! Hahahahaha!

 

Jake, obviously, would hurt a fly, and surely do much worse if some motherfucker ever dreamed of touching one of his sisters, even Janine. But Maggie did not need to know about the many times he protected her, like last week at the local country club, where he found a playboy trying to unzip his pants while she layed unconscious on the floor. He broke both his wrists. No. As far as Maggie was concerned, Jake was just her goofy overprotective step brother. Fine by him.

   Kate, whose fourteen years anniversary was just around the corner, had a more tomboy attitude, preferring skates over boys, jeans and sneakers over dresses and make up. That didn’t mean she was less of a handful for our poor protagonist. This tomboy of a little sister, with big red eyes and a spiky dark hair, had the attention span of a fish, having trouble in math, chemistry and history. Luckly, Jake had the highest score in all three subjects and was always there to help with homework and tests.

 

- I give up! – she said one day, throwing the textbooks all around the living room – I don’t get it! Why do I have to know that John Adams was the first president? Don’t we like elect a new one every year?!

 

- Adams was the second president, and no, we don’t elect a new one every year.

 

Kate poofed her red cheks, a sign either she was annoyed or embarrassed. – I will be a major soccer player, you know? I don’t need to remember all this useless old stuff.

Kate was probably right. Even if she didn’t become a professional soccer player or anything at all, the Sullivans were a very rich, very important family. Owner of lands and business, Kate and the rest of the girls could probably live five or six lifes only spending money and still turn out fine. Jake didn’t had such a luxury, the ‘good Dr. Sullivan’ made abundantly clear only his daughters would receive inheritance, stating he would provide “a house and pay the school fees and nothing more”.

From Jake perspective, a street rat asking for more sounded the most absurd, the most greedy thing, a fact Kate was blissfully unaware of, never understanding why Jake took things so seriously. Matter of fact, she also didn’t know Jake would leave after graduation. Only Janine and the doc knew. Even so, it is not good to be spoiled, and Jake measured no  lengths to help the daughters of his benefactor in every aspect he could think of, hoping to repay his debt, even if just a little.

 

- Soccer players can’t be dumb. They have to manage their image and brand.

- A good agent can take care of the more complicated stuff for me… I know! You could become my agent brother! That way I will have no worries!

 

This conversation happened last year.  And Jake didn’t know if it was for the fact that Kate called him brother (all the girls usually called him only by the first name) or the sheer trust and kindness children so easily displayed, but, every time he remembered the episode in the living room, Jake felt tears welling up. Yes. Among all, Kate was the kindest.

“I have to buy a good present for her” – He thinks, glancing at the kitchen clock. – “6:30?? Damn!! This always happens right after I talk to Janine! Now is not the time to be crying, I have to wake those brats up”.

 

Chapter End Notes:

Again, thanks for reading. If you liked or not, please, leave a comment. Suggestions are always welcome :)