- Text Size +
Abby walked up to the table, albeit a little nervously. It was just a normal table at her favorite coffee shop, she’d often sit there almost every weekend to unwind and have a coffee, but today was different. She was having coffee with her friends for the first time since Ian came. And she didn’t even have a chance to tell them he was so small he could lay down flat on the tip of her finger

Abby sat down at her table, her hands clasped together, giving the best smile she could that came off as a little strained. She held her hands under the table and looked at her friends, Sinthia and Marla, who were both laughing at whatever they were talking about; Abby wasn’t really listening as she approached.

“Heyyy! Abby! Where’ve you been, girl?” Marla asked still laughing a little.

“Spending time your internet boyfriend?” Sinthia said, trying to jump to the answer.

“Ooo! How’s it going!? I bet you two are just the cutest couple!” Marla quickly replied

“Hehe, yeah..” Abby answered, chuckling a little nervously. It was true she thought they were a cute couple, but she still needed to tell them. “But well… Something’s a little… different.. With him.”

“What do you mean?” Sinthia asked.

“If he’s breaking your heart I swear I’m gonna break his—” Marla began to say before getting cut off.

“No no! Nothing like that!” Abby interjected, not wanting to get the wrong idea across, “I mean he’s just… different… He’s.. smaller..”


After a few seconds had passed, Marla began laughing, at first very quietly, then loudly with her mouth wide open. Sinthia snickered a little, a little smile on her face.

“Didn’t think you’d move that fast,” Sinthia said, her hand trying to cover her smile, “you know I think they make pills to help with that.”

Abby suddenly grew a little red, realizing what she just said..

Oh god…

“No not that either!! I- I mean.. I mean like this!”

Abby took her hand out from under the table quickly and opened it up in front of her laughing friends. At first, they didn’t see anything put her pale palm, but then they noticed a tiny body getting up from one of the wrinkles in her hand, it was a little Nano wearing a black shirt and jeans. His hair looked tousled and looked a little clammy, probably from the sweat of Abby’s hand. Ian looked up with a smile at the two gigantic girls above him.

“Heeeeeey!” He yelled.

Sinthia and Marla stopped laughing, even smiling as they looked down in confusion at the Nano in Abby’s hand. Did she mean… THIS was Ian??

“He’s.. a bug?” Marla said, the confusion all the more evident in her voice.

“Nano,” Sinthia corrected her.

“Yeah..” Abby said, not wanting to look at their reactions, “Neither of us really knew about the difference until we met at the airport.”

“Wait, so you’re telling me,” Marla said, beginning to laugh as she spoke, “this whole time, you’re dream boyfriend, pffffft, was the size of an itty bitty bug!? Haaahahahaha!”

Marla kept laughing for a little while, as Sinthia joined in with a more polite chuckling behind her hand. Abby’s face became red as they continued to laugh, making her bring her hand back towards herself. She didn’t mean it, but the sudden movement made Ian fall flat on his face onto her soft palm once again.

"It's not that funny!" Abby said sounding very annoyed, "so what if he's small!? He's cute and I still love him!"

She held her arms close to herself as she raised her voice, in her excitement even forgetting Ian was in her hand as she lightly clenched her fist. She only remembered he was there when she felt a small pop. Quickly Abby opened her hand, terrified she’d find a little red stain instead of her Ian. Instead, there was still her tiny little man laying on his stomach. His face looked strained but he was clearly giving her a thumbs-up, which helped her shock die down. Abby was still getting used to being so careful with Ian.. A lot of her natural movements could be the end of him.

Some time had passed and of course the laughter died down considerably. Eventually, the girls got to asking Abby questions, like what it was like dating a Nano, things that were happening at work, normal things like that. When the barista finally brought the girls their drinks, and an incredibly tiny cup of coffee for Ian, Abby excused herself to use the restroom. She set Ian down on her napkin with his tiny cup of coffee, and left.

Not long after Abby had left Ian continued to drink his coffee, smiling but feeling too awkward to initiate any kind of conversation, up to then he’d been happy just listening and following along to the conversation. The coffee he was drinking was pretty bland, considering it would hardly even be a drop to Abby, but he was content. He looked up from his drink and, to his surprise, saw both Marla and Sinthia looking at him, taking a second to look back at each other and giggle.

Before Ian could react, Marla smiled wide as she raised her right hand, extending her finger and lowering it down towards him. Almost automatically Ian threw his coffee aside and spread out his body; this was a common tactic Nanos used to keep from getting folded in on themselves when something fell on them, it helped spread out the impact.

Marla's finger landed with a thud onto Ian's lower body. Like the trunk of a thick brown tree it knocked the wind out of him and nearly crushed his legs.

"Ah!! H—Hey!!" Ian yelled, looking up at Marla's face before she turned to Sinthia.

"Can you believe she's ACTUALLY dating this ugly little bug??"

"Nano," Sinthia answered, correcting Marla once again, "and no. He's so beneath her, she could do so much better, this is just embarrassing."

"Mm.. I should just squish him right now and fix this for her," Marla said, looking back to Ian and applying some pressure, feeling him squirm as he gasped for air and in pain.

"Better not," Sinthia said quite calmly, taking a sip of her coffee, "if you did she probably wouldn't forgive you for months."

"Fine.." Marla said, still keeping her finger firmly in Ian, "but I can at least beat him around right now, right?"

"I don't see why not," Sinthia smiled, putting down her coffee, "as long as we don't break him before Abby comes back I think we can have a little fun~."