- Text Size +

By the time the girls arrived at the Vastonia estate, the sun had already begun to set, signaling that the day would soon be drawing to a close. Located on the outskirts of Riesenfalle, the large manor nestled deep within the surrounding forest was the perfect spot for any practicing magician to work on their craft in seclusion away from the hustle and bustle of the town. 

“Ha! I’ve got it now!” an old man’s voice called out in the distance, seemingly enthusiastic about what appeared to be a recent discovery. “Annnnnnd... There!” 

A large explosion triggered from behind the mansion, giving Lina and Naga cause for alarm while Erinn simply sighed, holding up her right hand to her side to calm her companions. “He’s fine,” she assured them, slumping her shoulders in embarrassment. “This is what I was talking to you about earlier. C’mon, this way…” 

Flashing each other a look of bewildered curiosity, the two sorceresses followed along as the Vastonia heiress led them towards the back of her home to meet her world-renowned father. What was now an all too familiar sight for Erinn was somewhat of a shock for the foreigners: an older man in his late fifties with a thick head of gray hair, covered from head to toe in soot over his plebeian clothes, stood motionless in place in front of the charred remnants of what appeared to be a wooden barrel, smoke still simmering from its leftover tinders. A few minor grunts escaped the man’s mouth, insinuating that he was in too much pain to move and explaining his paralyzed stance. Erinn let out another heavy exhale as she approached her father, gently patting him on the back to remove some of the dirt blanketing him and to restore his movement to some degree. 

“Father, you were messing around back here again, weren’t you?” 

“Ah-Aha! Erinn, my daughter! You came just in time!” the magician exclaimed, his injuries seemingly instantly healed by his child’s touch alone. “I was this close to finishing that recipe for exploding tea that I told you about! ‘Prank your friends with some tea that’ll explode right in their face,’ I say! Once I finally get the last kinks worked out, we’ll be making a killing in no time!” he heartily laughed. “Unfortunately, I kinda blew up the last batch I had, so I’ll just have to make another one, and this time, it’ll be the real deal!... I think!” 

This? This crazy old man is the ‘living legend’ you were carrying on about?” Naga asked, glaring at her shorter comrade while crossing her arms beneath her breasts in disappointment. “Hmph! I’m not seeing what all the fuss is about. All I see is a doddering old fool.” 

“Yeaaaah, that’s… him alright,” Lina was forced to admit, nervously chuckling to herself as she observed Erinn trying to recuperate her father while dissuading him from pursuing any further lunacy for the day. “No doubt about it, he’s the one and only Linus Vastonia...” 

“Huh? Who goes there?” the old man called out, turning around and spying two strangers on his property. “Erinn, who are these people?” 

“Oh, um, they’re Lina and Naga,” his daughter answered. “They managed to save me earlier today from some weird guy who overdosed on strength magics. I would’ve been a goner if it wasn’t for their help, so I wanted to express how much I appreciated them by inviting them to stay the night at our place. I hope that won’t be too much trouble?” 

“Hmmm…” Breaking free from Erinn’s clutches, Linus Vastonia stormed towards the two girls, his stamina having completely recovered in a matter of moments. Stopping roughly a foot away from Lina, he placed his left hand against his hip while covering his chin with his right palm, bending forward slightly to examine the smaller mage in greater detail. “Mhmm… Mhmm... “ he nodded several times, confirming his observations before standing back to his full height and letting his hands return to his sides. “I like you!” 

“What? Me?!” Lina blinked, surprised that her plan may have been unfolding more smoothly than she thought it would. 

“Yeah, you!” Linus confirmed, a bright grin of amusement beaming on his excited face. “I dunno what it is about you, kid, but you’ve got it, and I like that about ya! Plus you saved my little girl on top of it, so you’re alright in my book!” 

“Ahem!” Loudly clearing her throat, Naga arrogantly stepped in front of the shorter Lina to eclipse her behind her taller stature, bumping the wily girl with her elbow to force her to take a step back out of safety. Placing her hands on her hips and puffing out her chest to show off her more womanly physique, the ravishing beauty pouted cutely, wanting the old man to thank her as well, clearly jealous of being left out. 

Taking one look at Naga’s well-developed figure turned Linus’s smile upside-down, the old man immediately growling at what he saw in front of him. “Humph…” he snorted, wasting no time in walking around the purple-haired enchantress to get back to adoring Lina, causing Naga to let out a surprised gasp at the insult. “Hmmm… Yeah, I like the cut of your jib, little lady!” he continued, his happy grin returning the moment he laid eyes upon the Bandit Killer once more. “I owe ya for what you’ve done for my Erinn, and we Vastonia men always keep our word!” 

“Oh really, it wasn’t anything special,” Lina shook her head as she waved her left hand in front of her, pretending to downplay the entirety of the earlier events. “Anyone else would’ve done the same if they were in our shoes. We really couldn’t possibly ask for anything else for a reward, buuuuuuut… if you really are offering…” she trailed off, her voice turning even more fakely innocent, “...I’d love it if you used one of your spells on me! It beats having to pay us, don’t you think?” 

“Sorry, kiddo, no can do,” Linus declined, shaking his head sternly. “I just don’t got the motivation anymore to be usin’ my special magics on other people. It’s a real heck of shame though - you’d be a perfect subject for me, little lady!” 

“No motivation?” Lina blinked, tears practically beginning to well up in her eyes at the possibility of being denied a bust enhancement spell from the legendary magician. 

“There you are, father!” a loud male voice called out from behind them, prompting the spellcasters to gaze at the approaching interloper. 

“Ah, big brother! What brings you here?” Erinn called out, alerting her new friends that she was not the sole heir to the Vastonia family legacy. 

Dressed in a similar, yet more modern, set of magician’s clothes like that of his father, the young man made a beeline for his family, barely even taking the time to notice the visitors to their lands. Judging by his toned musculature and youthful features, the sorceresses would have estimated that he was roughly the same age as Erinn, most likely her older sibling. “Father, are you alright? I saw the explosion while I was out in the forest and came as fast I could. Are you in-” 

Linus growled and immediately lashed out with the back of his left hand against his son’s face, sending the young man careening towards the ground. “You’ve got a lotta nerve to show your face around here again, Maius,” he chastised, watching as his own flesh and blood rubbed his face in pain from the sudden slap. “I told you that no son of mine is going to be living under my roof and make a mockery of the magics I created! Get the hell off my property, you lousy good-for-nothin’!” 

“What the hell’s the matter with you, old man?!” Maius quickly retorted, jumping back onto his feet and playing through the pain, still reeling from the sting of his father’s blow against his skin. “Last time I come and check on you when it looks like you’ve burned the house to the ground! You probably could’ve seen that explosion all the way back in Riesenfalle!” 

“Did I ask for your opinion, you sorry sack’a suds?!” his father barked back. “I know exactly what I’m doing, unlike someone who couldn’t find his way out of a paper bag even if there were directions on the inside on how to get out!” 

“Oh yeah?” the fiery youth asked in turn, stepping forward and grabbing his father by the collar of his shirt to assert his authority. “If you’re gonna act like you know everything, then why don’t you make your own magics again for a change, huh?!” 

“What was that, you little twerp?!” the elder Vastonia snarled, pushing his son backwards a short distance and raising his right fist, preparing to strike him a second time. 

“Both of you, cut it out!” Erinn intervened, her loud shout causing the men of her family to look at her, both of them suddenly feeling mutually ashamed of their fight in front of the three women. 

“Hmph!” Linus groaned, putting his fist down as Maius let go of his clothing, the two wordlessly agreeing to cease any further physical interaction between them. “This is all because someone’s worthless son has been distorting the very magics that put this family on the world’s notice!” 

“Grrr…” the elder Vastonia sibling murmured, gritting his teeth at the scathing remarks. “Fine! I don’t know why I even came out here to check things out. You just stay here and keep wallowing in your own failures for all I care!” 

Maius instantly stormed around his sister and her guests in a fit of rage, though just as he had hurried past the two sorceresses, something caused him to stop in place and turn around, having to take a second look at what had caught his eye. The profile of a tall, buxom woman with a regal air about her had captured his heart, doubly adding to his smittenness as she turned on a forty-five degree angle to stare at him in return, her deep sapphire eyes reminiscent of a calming ocean, only further adding to her impeccable beauty. 

“...Breathtaking… Truly spectacular… A living goddess…” 

“Hmm?” Naga perked up, turning completely around at the sound of compliments being hurled her way. “Were you talking about me by any chance?” 

“Yes, of course! Do you see any other true epitome of beauty and grace nearby besides you?” Maius affirmed with a rhetorical question of his own, his pupils dilating with joy, mentally feasting on the divine physique of the purple-haired magus. “Pray tell, may I ask the name of the goddess who stands before me?” 

“Hmph! Well now, finally someone who knows how to appreciate a beautiful woman when one appears before them,” Naga grinned, confidently crossing her arms beneath her chest, her already massive ego growing larger before everyone’s eyes. “My name is Naga the Serpent, though you can simply call me Naga.” 

“Naga… Truly, a name handed down from the gods themselves for the perfect woman to bear!” he exclaimed. Taking a step towards the embodiment of femininity in front of him, Maius carefully dropped down onto his left knee, bowing his head before all of Naga’s beauty. “Lady Naga, I know we have only just met, but I have never before been so inspired by one so perfect as you. Never in my wildest dreams would I have thought to have seen a sublime woman such as yourself come through our little town, let alone appear on our property. I cannot lie - you are my muse, someone who has reignited the spark of my soul and filled me with a surge of inspiration the likes of which I have never felt before! This… is a bit sudden, I know, but…” Maius paused momentarily, raising his head enough to look directly into Naga’s calming eyes before finding the courage to finish speaking. “...Would you… Would you do me the privilege - no, the honor! - of being my assistant at the Riesenfalle Centennial Magic Royale this year?” 

“The Magic Royale?” Naga blinked, intrigued by the offer. “What’s that?” 

“Only the biggest event in our town’s history, of course,” he began. “This is the one hundred year celebration of our annual Magic Royale. Every year, mages participate in the Royale to show off their spells, arts, and other original techniques in an attempt to wow the crowd and the judges. You can kinda think of it as a friendly magical battle of sorts, hence the word ‘Royale’. I hate to toot my own horn here, but I happen to be the best mage in town,” Maius proudly stated, much to his father’s chagrin. “As such, and considering that I’ve won it the past two years in a row, I unfortunately have no competition this year, meaning that I’ll win by default. So, essentially, this’ll just be an exhibition of my own magics in front of the entire town. Of course, it’ll be rather boring if it’s just me on the ‘battlefield’ putting on a small performance, so I’ll need someone to help show off my latest masterpieces.” 

“And you want moi to be the star of the show for you?” the Saillune princess inquired, already primed with her answer. “Why, of course I would. Someone has to help the classless people of this little town learn about the finer points of beauty and magic, so it might as well be me! Ohhhhhh-hohohohoho!” Naga immediately cackled, bringing her right hand in front of her chin to indulge in her signature smug laughter known far and wide. 

“Now hold it one gosh-darn minute!” Linus bellowed, unable to take his son’s gloating once Naga had agreed to assist him. A fire seemed to be lit in the pit of his being, unwilling to let his so-called failure of a son go without some form of competition. “You’re the only one in the Royale this year, did I hear that right? Well, not anymore! As of this moment, I’m puttin’ my hat into the ring and takin’ you down a peg!” Grabbing Lina’s left wrist tightly and unexpectedly, the old man yanked the young sorceress to his side, claiming her for himself. “And this little lady right here’s gonna help me! You wanna see the real star of the show? Well, you’re lookin’ at ‘er!”  

“Me?!” Lina asked, taken by surprise by Linus’s sudden change in attitude. 

“Yeah, who else am I gonna use to show up my idiot of a son here?” the old man retorted, impassioned by the thought of humiliating his progeny in front of the entire city. “Besides, didn’t you say earlier you wanted me to use one of my spells on ya? Well, now’s your chance, ain’t it? You get the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to see a Linus Vastonia original before anyone else does, and you get to help show up your ugly friend over there in the process. And if it all works out in the end, I’ll cast it on you for free before everyone else starts wantin’ it too. Sounds like a plan, don’t it?” he proudly asserted. “Well, whaddya say? You in, little lady?” 

“Of course I am!” the Bandit Killer shouted without a moment’s hesitation. 

“‘Atta girl!” Linus beamed, now in possession of everything he needed to complete his spiteful plan. “You hear that, Maius? Me and the girl here are gonna show you what it really means to carry the Vastonia family name and the magics that’ve made us famous over the years!” Turning towards his youngest child, the elderly magician raised his left hand, pointing directly at the girl to put her on notice. “Erinn, get over to city hall and put in an application for me right now! I’m sure the mayor’ll be happy to have another entrant,” he barked at his daughter. “Well, don’t just stand there lookin’ like a stray sheep! Get a move on already!” 

“Y-Yes father!” Erinn reluctantly obeyed, timidly bowing her head towards her father and proceeding to make her way towards the town. I’m glad to see my father come back to normal, but did it really have to be because he wanted to punish Maius?... Oh great! I just realized that even when I do register him for the Royale, they’re both going to make me pick a side to support during the battle. I can’t pick between the two of them - they’re both my family! Erinn mentally lamented. Add Miss Lina and Miss Naga to the mix and… Well, I can only imagine what they both must have in mind for the two of them. There’s no way this is going to end well for anyone! Why must my life be so terrible…?   

As the youngest of the Vastonias made her exit, the two teams immediately stared each other down, sizing up their competition. With the Royale scheduled for the next day, it would be father versus son, sorceress against sorceress, for the glory of being crowned the best magician in all of Riesenfalle. 

“Well, Lina Inverse, it appears the two of us will be fighting against each other once more,” Naga gloated, confidently placing her hands against her hips. “I’d never work for a sniveling old man like that, so I can’t wait to see what sort of lame feats you two try to pull off tomorrow. Besides, if I’m going to be anyone’s assistant, it’s going to be for someone who appreciates my superior beauty - someone like Maius here. Not only that…” Taking a moment to pause for dramatic effect, the purple-haired beauty turned and aimed her right hand at her shorter companion, pointing her gloved index finger directly at her head. “...Did you forget that I am Naga the Serpent?! I am your greatest and most powerful rival, who is without equal in the entire history of all the magical arts!” 

“Ha! Like I’m afraid of what you can do as the assistant to some loser that even the great Linus Vastonia disowned!” Lina countered, irritated by Naga’s baiting. “Only a true idiot would try and recruit someone like Naga, Maius, because Naga’s a total dummy! You’re pretty much handing us the victory by taking her off of our hands!” 

“Ahaha! This little lady’s really got some moxy in her!” Linus agreed with his new partner, giving the orange-haired sorceress a proud pat on the back. “I knew I liked you for a reason, kid! Well, you heard the lady, Maius. Get off my land and rest up for tomorrow… The two of us are gonna give ya the trouncin’ of a lifetime at the Royale in front of the whole town!” 

“Grrr… I’ll show you, father!” his son retorted, shaking his left fist in anger. “Come, oh Divine Goddess Naga, we’re leaving!” With one final huff towards Lina, Naga followed Maius as he led her back to his abode, leaving his father and his assistant alone to begin their own preparation for the next day’s festivities. 

“Well, kiddo, time’s a-wastin’,” Linus smiled at Lina as their competition departed. “We’ve got ourselves a Royale to win!” 

-----------------------------