- Text Size +
GENETITECH/BIOENG. confidential file
SUBJECT: --GOLDMAN, David
A.U. No.: --NC 654 55 D
S.C.I.D. No: --7474HHD
SUPERVISING DOCTOR: --Dr. Terrence LYNCH

ITEM: --Transcript of recorded testimony regarding subject's current condition. File for ASSESSMENT/INFO

[cont.]

"Well, so much for the Great Escape," Julie muttered as we rummaged through the toolbox on the back of Eddie's pickup. She pulled out a rusty handsaw and said, "Unless you think we can get through that board with this."

"Carolyn'll be dead of old age by the time we cut through with that [EXPLETIVE DELETED] thing," I said, shaking my head. "But go ahead and throw it in the useful pile. I'm sure we can use it for something."

Our "useful pile" consisted of a jack, a tire iron, a Phillips screwdriver, a short length of hose, some bungee straps, and several rolls of duct tape. I doubt even MacGyver could have parlayed that crap into a feasible escape plan.

"Oh, dude!" Denny said excitedly, pulling out a wadded mass of yellow tie down rope. "Jackpot!"

We untangled the rope and stretched it out. It measured somewhere around fifty feet, relatively speaking.

"Okay, we can work with this," Denny said excitedly. "Like, maybe we can tie the rope to that metal thing," he said, pointing at the tire iron. "Make it one of those grappling things? Then we can use it to, like, Batman up and over that two-by-four."

"Next time she leaves the door open," Julie added.

Denny nodded. "Yeah. Think we can talk her into that? Maybe we can tell her it gets too hot in here or something."

"If we make a point of asking her to leave the door open, she's gonna know something's up," I said. "And she'll be more diligent about keeping it closed. So we can either bide our time and wait, or find another way past the board."

"Right now, we need to hide this stuff," Julie said. "Either in the dollhouse or someplace where Carolyn won't look."

She had a point. We had no guarantee that Carolyn would let us keep our vehicles, and we didn't want to lose our gear just because she capriciously decided to put them away for the night.

So the three of us gathered the rope and other equipment and carried it over to the dresser. The gap between the dresser and the wall was dark and littered with thick dust, which meant Carolyn probably wouldn't be checking there any time soon. We stashed our gear there and made our way back over to the dollhouse.

Glancing up at the upstairs window, I saw Linda looking down at us with an angry scowl on her face. She was still blamed us for her current predicament and was no doubt looking for a way to get back in Carolyn's good graces. I wondered if she would rat us out.

I voiced my concern to Julie and Denny.

"I'll get Chad to talk to her," Denny told me. "I don't think she'll [EXPLETIVE DELETED] us over if she thinks it'll get Chad in trouble too."

"I hope you're right," Julie said.

"Maybe we should try and... you know... make nice with Linda," I said.

Julie glared at me. "You kidding? You do remember all the [EXPLETIVE DELETED] she put us through last week, don't you?" She shuddered. "She made me bathe with her, Dave. She made me rub her [EXPLETIVE DELETED] nipple, for God's sake! Maybe what we should do is just get out of Eddie's way and let him take care of her."

"I know you don't mean that," I told her.

"[EXPLETIVE DELETED]!" she shouted. "If I wasn't worried about Eddie getting in trouble, I'd [EXPLETIVE DELETED] hold the bitch down for him."

Denny stared, wide-eyed. Julie had been fairly collected since he'd been captured, and this was his first time to see her lose her temper.

"I don't want her sabotaging us," I told her. "We need to make our peace with her and get her on board with escaping. And then," I added, "when we're all free and clear, you can beat her to death with a rock for all I care."

***

Mr. Nichols was snoozing on the couch, and Eddie was sitting at the dining room table, muttering to himself. He didn't even acknowledge us as we walked past him towards the stairs. We made our way up to the bedroom and I knocked gently on the plastic door.

Chad opened it a crack and peered out at us. "What's up?" he asked.

"We'd like to talk to Linda," I told him.

"[EXPLETIVE DELETED] off!" came Linda's cry from inside the room.

Chad shrugged. "Sorry, dudes. Doesn't sound like she's feeling all that chatty right now."

"Oh, [EXPLETIVE DELETED] this," Julie said. She shoved past me and forced the door open, knocking Chad aside. Linda was sitting in a plastic chair next to the window. She leapt to her feet as we came in.

"You little [EXPLETIVE DELETED]," she snapped. "I shoulda just flushed you down the toilet when I had the chance. Can't believe I let you turn my own [EXPLETIVE DELETED] sister against me!"

"Oh, spare us the martyr [EXPLETIVE DELETED]," Julie said. "You were all set to shrink your sister, remember? And it's not like any of us were big enough to twist your [EXPLETIVE DELETED] arm."

"You told her I killed Randy!" Linda blurted out. She wiped angrily at the tears that ran down her cheeks. "Why the [EXPLETIVE DELETED] would you lie about something like that?"

"That was Eddie," I told her. "We had no idea he was going to say that."

"But you went along with it!"

I shrugged. "Just trying to keep Eddie out of trouble. We were afraid of what Carolyn might do to him."

"I hope she [EXPLETIVE DELETED] kills him," Linda said. "When Randy shows up safe and sound next weekend, I hope she squashes Eddie like a bug. And you guys, too. I hope she puts all three of you on the floor and just stomps the [EXPLETIVE DELETED] out of you."

Denny shook his head and said to Chad, "Dude, your girlfriend's totally harsh."

Linda turned her glare to Chad. "And why the [EXPLETIVED DELETED] did you even have to bring him with you?" she whined, pointing at Denny. "I mean, seriously! I had everything all planned out, but you had to go and [EXPLETIVE DELETED] it all up by bringing your friend!"

"I didn't have a car," Chad said, lamely.

"Look, this is pointless," I said. "Linda, we're working on getting out of here, okay? If you play nice, we'll take you with us. Otherwise..."

"Otherwise, we'll leave you here to face the wrath of Carolyn by your [EXPLETIVE DELETED] self," Julie said.

"She won't hurt me," Linda insisted. "I'm her sister."

"Okay, then consider this," I said. "When we eventually get rescued by GenetiTech, they're gonna want the whole story. And we can either paint you as a sympathetic victim or a conspirator with your sister. It's your choice."

Linda took a wavering breath. "Okay, I won't say anything to Carolyn about your stupid escape plan. But when Randy gets back and the [EXPLETIVE DELETED] hits the fan, don't expect any help from me."

***

Julie and I were sitting in my car under the bed. The top was up to give us at least an illusion of privacy, and we were listening to my Tom Waits CD. Tom was singing about his Uncle Violet who flew as a pilot in "Cemetery Polka" when the door to the guest room opened. Carolyn stepped over the board and came into the room, carrying a paper plate in one hand.

The sun had nearly set, leaving a dim sliver of light coming through the window. Carolyn walked over to the dresser, her sandaled feet slapping the wooden floor with each step. She snapped on the seashell lamp, filling the room with warm, yellow light.

The others were grudgingly exiting the dollhouse to line up for inspection. Eager to avoid any repercussions, I drove out from the under the bed.

Carolyn let out a delighted squeal when she saw me. She placed her foot directly in the path of my car. My tires screeched on the wood as I slammed on my brakes.

"Aww, poor little Julie doesn't have a car of her own, does she?" Carolyn said. Her toes twitched as she lifted her foot and touched the sole of her sandal to the hood of my car. She wasn't putting any weight on it, but I could still feel my front end sagging slightly. Her enormous toes filled my windshield.

"What are you two doing under there with the top up?" she asked playfully. "I hope you weren't kissing him or anything, Julie. You know Davey is my special little guy."

Julie stared helplessly at Carolyn's foot, no doubt remembering that day in Eddie's lab when her car had been so capriciously destroyed.

"I think it would be a good idea if you kept the top down from now on," Carolyn said, gently rocking my car to emphasize her point. "I'd hate to think you two got anything to hide."

I flipped the two latches and folded the top back. "Good boy," Carolyn said, lifting her foot and releasing my car. My front shocks groaned and bounced twice.

The others had made their way out of the dollhouse and were lining up for inspection. Denny and Chad had both hoisted Eddie and carried him out. Mr. Nichols and Linda followed close behind. Julie and I scrambled out of my car and ran over to join them.

Carolyn knelt and set the plate down on the floor. Our dinner consisted of a slice of ham and a small pile of macaroni and cheese. We climbed onto the plate, tearing off pieces of ham and hunks of macaroni to feed ourselves.

Carolyn stood and walked over to the bed, where she sat and watched us with amusement. My car was parked dangerously close to her foot, and I kept glancing over nervously to make sure she wasn't going to step on it.

When she caught me looking, Carolyn grinned and slid her foot from her sandal. She brushed her toes along my car, toying with it idly. She prodded the interior, poking the steering wheel with her big toe. She giggled when my horn let out a weak wail.

"Such a tiny little thing," she said. "I can't believe how adorable it is."

I'm pretty sure it was her way of flirting with me, of letting me know what lay in store for me later that night. But I wasn't aroused or amused. The macaroni was suddenly lead in my stomach, and I tasted bile.

I wanted so badly to charge at her, to pound on her foot with my fists and shout at her to stop. But that would accomplish nothing apart from souring her playful mood. So I clenched my fists and took a deep breath. Carolyn gave me a wink and, like a good little pet, I smiled back.

***

We barely made a dent in the food. Carolyn knelt over us and, chiding us for our wastefulness, snatched up the ham and popped it into her mouth. She licked her fingers, then smiled down at us.

"You ready to spend the night with me, Davey?" she asked. I feigned enthusiasm and nodded.

"Good. One more thing to take care of." With her right hand, she reached down and scooped up me and Julie. Julie bit her lip to keep from screaming as Carolyn rose with us and sat down on the bed.

She reached into her breast pocket with her left hand and fished out something tiny, holding it between the tips of her finger and thumb.

It was the handcuffs, reduced in size. One stainless steel cuff, covered with bright red fur, dangled from a short length of chain. The other cuff was completely concealed by her enormous fingertips. Two silver keys dangled from the chain.

"Take those keys, Julie," Carolyn ordered. "I'm afraid I'll lose them." Julie walked uneasily across Carolyn's palm and pulled the keys free from the cuffs. When she was done, Carolyn offered the cuffs to me.

"Put them on," she told me. I started to protest, but Carolyn shook her head. "I said, put them on."

So I slipped the cuffs around my wrists and locked them in place. I checked to see if there was any kind of emergency release, but no such luck. I gave my wrists a tug, stretching the chain taut, but the cuffs held securely.

Carolyn grabbed Julie by the waist and lifted her up to her face. "Show me the keys," she said. Trembling, Julie held up the two keys and jangled them. Carolyn closed one eye and peered at Julie for a second or two until she was satisfied. Then she leaned down and set Julie on the floor at her feet.

"How do they feel?" she asked me.

"Fine," I said, with no enthusiasm.

"Oh, don't be so grumpy," she said. "This'll be fun." She slid her index finger between my arms and hooked the cuffs on her fingernail. Then she lifted me up, grinning as my legs kicked frantically.

She stood and carried me across the room. Stepping over the partition, she turned to regard the others.

"Be good, children," she said sweetly. Then she closed the door and carried me down the hall.

***

I stood on the cluttered nightstand, in front of the digital alarm clock. It was only 8:23, but Carolyn had declared it bedtime. A drinking glass, half full of water, stood next to me, reflecting the red glare of the numbers behind me. To my right was a pill bottle lying on its side next to its childproof cap.

Carolyn stood over by her dresser, her back to me as she dug through a jewelry box. I could hear the clatter of earrings being brushed aside as she searched for something in particular. Finally, she held up a thin, gold chain.

"Hey," she said as she regarded me. "I thought I told you to get undressed."

I had managed to slip out of my shoes, socks, and sweatpants. However, I was still in my t-shirt. I jangled my cuffed wrists and said, "I can't."

Carolyn sighed in mock exasperation. "Well, live and learn. I guess you'll have to start stripping before I cuff you." She walked over and sat down on the edge of the bed.

"Hold out your arms," she ordered me. I did, and she reached down to attach the clasp of the necklace to the chain between my wrists. She raised her hand, pulling up on the necklace. My arms were lifted over my head and, once again, I found myself dangling.

My heart was pounding as I glanced down at the floor so far beneath my kicking legs. It was terrifying to feel so helpless and so totally at Carolyn's mercy.

Carolyn set me down on the bed, letting the chain fall on the bedspread beside me. Then she stood and watched me, her predatory smile in place as she slowly undressed herself. When she was naked, she climbed onto the bed and laid down on her side, resting her head on her crooked arm as she looked at me.

"I've really been looking forward to this, little guy," she said, giggling. "I mean, *really* looking forward to it." She placed her free hand on her hip, then slowly ran her fingernails down to the thatch of pubic hair. She fingered herself for a few seconds, gasping and sighing with pleasure.

"I think I'll take my turn first," she said. She reached over and took the chain between her finger and thumb and lifted me up off the bed. Then she sat up and leaned back against a pile of pillows, her knees bent and her feet flat on the mattress. Still smiling that infuriating smile of hers, she slowly lowered me between her legs.

I felt the coarse, dark hair of her [EXPLETIVE DELETED] beneath my bare feet as I scrambled for purchase. The chain swung like a pendulum. I pushed myself away, but Carolyn just swung me back into place. I dangled helplessly, bumping against her as she lowered me to the mattress. Before I had a chance to recover, she gave another tug on the chain and dragged up and along her crotch, against the damp hair and the hot flesh beneath it. I closed my eyes and held my breath, just waiting for it to be over. Carolyn moaned.

"God, Davey," she whispered. She lowered me to the bed, less gently this time, and pulled me up again. This time, she shivered. "It's so good!"

Again and again. I lost count, and kept telling myself, "Five more, that's it. You can handle five." Down and up again. "Okay, just five more. Come on." Down and up again. "Okay, five more and you're done. Just do five more."

And so it went for what felt like an eternity. When she finally stopped and lifted me to dangle before her face, she was breathing hard.

"Just can't seem... to seal the deal," she gasped. "But that's okay, baby. I know you tried." She set me down on her right breast, letting the chain fall and slide down to her stomach. "You just... make yourself useful, darling. I'll finish up."

I leaned forward and began stroking her nipple with both hands. My wrists were chaffed, despite the fur lining of the cuffs. My skin was sticky; my shirt and hair were drenched and smelled of her.

Her nipple, already pink and rigid, grew rock hard under my hands, and Carolyn let out another gasp. One hand lay open, palm down, on her stomach. She slid the other down slowly between her legs and fingered herself until, finally, a spasm wracked her body and she bucked beneath me. I fell from my perch and tumbled down her stomach, coming to rest against her hand.

"So good," she repeated breathlessly. Tilting her head to awkwardly regard me over her breasts, she smiled down at me. Her fingers groped for the chain and fumbled with the clasp, finally releasing me. She reached over to drop the chain on the night stand, then reached down to scoop me up. She held me up to her face and smiled wearily.

"I think I'll keep you," she said, giggling.

I held out my hands. "Can we take these off now?"

"Sorry, sweetie. Cuffs stay on 'til morning."

"But why?"

Her smile faltered and she cocked an eyebrow. "Are you *questioning* me?" she asked with mock sternness. But even though she was teasing, the message was all too clear.

"No ma'am."

"Good boy." Carolyn slumped down to lie on her back, one leg crossed over her bent knee. "Now, since you've been such a trooper, I figure the least I can do is give you a turn. Right?"

She moved me towards her bare foot with tantalizing slowness. I stared at the white, wrinkled skin of her sole. Her toes wiggled slowly, seductively as they came closer. And, despite everything, I felt a reluctant tightness in my groin.

"Atta boy," Carolyn said, just before she pressed me against the bottom of her foot. She rubbed my entire body along her sole, pressing my face against the soft, thick flesh. She'd been wearing those sandals all day long, and the smell of sweat and leather clung to her. But, all things considered, it wasn't unpleasant.

She spread her toes and slid me between them, grasping me tightly. Her toenails were dark red and smooth. I nuzzled her big toe with my cheek and kissed it.

"Look at those pretty toes," she purred. She began wiggling them slowly, grinding me gently between them. I found myself squirming, bouncing my crotch against her foot. My erection throbbed, growing harder and harder as her toes wiggled faster and faster...

I forgot myself. I screamed out her name when I climaxed, and I just kept whispering, "Thank you," as I shivered between her toes. Carolyn gave me another squeeze.

"You love that, don't you?" she whispered. "Playing on my pretty feet?"

I nodded weakly.

"Tell me," she said softly.

"I love your pretty feet," I said, still gasping for air.

"Do you love me, Davey?"

"Yes ma'am."

She was silent, looking at me expectantly.

"I love you, Carolyn," I said. I gently stroked her toe with my cuffed hands, then kissed it again.

Carolyn's eyes lit up and she smiled smugly. "I love you too, baby doll."

***

I spent the night clinging to the bottom of Carolyn's left foot, my arms cuffed around her middle toe. It was a warm night, so she was lying above the covers. And thanks to the valium she popped, she slept like a rock.

My arms kept going numb, and I'd have to shift and pull myself up until feeling tingled back into them. I couldn't see the clock; I couldn't see anything apart from the bottom of her foot. If I slept at all, it was in short, ten-minute bursts that left me feeling feverish and surreal every time I awoke. I just hung there limply, listening to her snore and waiting for dawn to come.

***

Carolyn's foot shifted, waking me from a fitful doze. I felt myself being lifted through the air. Finger and thumb grasped me by the waist, and Carolyn gently lifted me from her toes.

"Good morning, sweetie," she said with a sleepy grin. "How you feeling?"

Like [EXPLETIVE DELETED], I thought. But I managed a smile and said, "Fine. Arms are a little sore, though."

She pursed her lips sympathetically. "Poor baby. You should have said something." She extended an index finger to gently stroke my arms, which hung limply in front of me. Feeling was gradually returning, like a thousand white hot needles.

Carolyn got up and carried me into the bathroom. She set me on the rim of the toilet and let me pee. Then she set me down on the tile floor and played with me with her bare feet while she relieved herself.

My hair and shirt were damp with sweat, and still smelled of sex. "Are we going to have a shower?" I asked hopefully.

Carolyn shook her head and gave me a playful nudge with her foot. "After I get breakfast for everybody, we're going to go work in the garden for a bit." She smiled. "But after that, you and me can have a nice, long bath. How's that sound?"

I raised my cuffed hands and gave her two thumbs up, and actually felt elated when she laughed.

God, she had so much power over me. It was so easy to lose myself to her, to just surrender and be her pet. Just the thought of resisting made me feel exhausted.

I loved her. I hated her, but I loved her. It's [EXPLETIVE DELETED] up, I know, but it's true.

And in spite of everything that happened, despite everything she did to us, I still find myself missing her sometimes.

Pathetic, isn't it?

***

Carolyn carried me into the guest room and set me down in front of the dollhouse. As the others came filing out, she told Julie I'd been a good boy and to go ahead and remove the cuffs.

While Carolyn was downstairs getting breakfast ready, I went into the dollhouse and rinsed myself off as best I could in the kitchen sink. By the time I dried off and slipped into a clean t-shirt and pair of running shorts, I felt almost human again.

"Jesus, Dave," Julie muttered, shaking her head angrily. "She really put you through the wringer."

I nodded. "But at least she's in a good mood."

"Did she have the phone in her bedroom last night?"

"I didn't see it," I told her, rubbing my sore arms. "I think she left it downstairs. Did you guys make any progress?"

"Not much," Julie told me, frowning. "She closed the door, so we couldn't go up and over. But Denny was thinking we might be able to tunnel through the sheetrock and go through the wall."

"Won't she see that?" I asked.

"If we dig behind that dresser, she won't," Julie said. "At least, not until we break through into the hallway. We won't be sticking around for long after that."

"How long will it take?"

Julie shrugged. "No idea. Denny gave it a shot last night with the screwdriver, but it's cramped back there and that [EXPLETIVE DELETED] is hard as bedrock when you're our size."

"So probably not by the end of the week?"

She shook her head. "I don't think we're going to get away before Linda's husband gets back. We're pretty much screwed."

"Well, as long as we stick to our story and play innocent, I think we'll be okay. We may get punished, but I don't think Carolyn's going to do anything rash." I laughed at the irony of the statement and amended it. "I mean, anything more rash than she already has."

"Easy for you to say," Julie said with a gentle smile. "You're her special little guy, right?"

I sighed. "Yeah. Heavy hangs the [EXPLETIVE DELETED] head."

***

God, just to be outdoors was amazing. The sky was blue and cloudless, and the sun was beating down on Carolyn as she carried me to her garden. She was wearing a floppy white hat; beads of sweat ran her hair and down her cheeks.

The garden was a massive square, cordoned off with railroad ties that glistened with creosote. The rich, black soil had been meticulously tilled into rows, and the vegetation sprang dense and green from it like a jungle of alien trees. Red, ripe tomatoes hung from massive, leafy plants. Running alongside them were rows of shoots jutting up from onions under the soil. There was another tangle of dense, green leaves where okra grew among large, pale flowers.

The air was abuzz with the constant, insistent chirp of insects, and the leaves would occasionally rustle as something large leapt among them.

"It's beautiful," I told Carolyn, and she rewarded me with a kind smile.

"Thanks, sweetie." She stroked me with her finger and sighed. "Sick of those [EXPLETIVE DELETED] grasshoppers, though. They just about ruined my tomatoes last year."

Her face brightened. "I ought to put you little guys to work, make you earn your keep," she said with a giggle. "Maybe I can arm you with sticks and needles and turn you loose. Let you hunt those [EXPLETIVE DELETED] grasshoppers for me."

"I'd like that," I told her. "I mean, not the hunting part. But I'd really like to see your garden, if it's okay."

Carolyn chuckled and set me gently on the crosstie. I could feel the heat of it through the rubber soles of my sneakers.

"You're not going to run off or do anything silly like that, are you?"

"No, ma'am. Promise."

"Good boy."

***

Carolyn moved gingerly among the rows of plants with her watering can, stepping as gently as she could in the soft soil. From my vantage point, I could see her sandals through the copse of onion stalks. Water drizzled down the leaves, vanishing into the soil as soon as it hit. I saw a grasshopper scramble frantically to avoid Carolyn as she took another step.

The smell of damp earth was overpowering and oddly reassuring after weeks of captivity. I ran down the wide furrows, marveling at the sights. The soil felt spongy but firm beneath me, and the foliage offered cool shade from the white, relentless sun.

God, it was so beautiful. I found myself wishing Julie were there with me. Maybe if I asked Carolyn nicely, she'd bring the two of us out here. Maybe she'd even let us have a picnic lunch. We could spread a blanket under the shade of the okra plant, and we could...

I was startled from my daydream by a loud, sudden snap. I whirled and found myself staring into the compound eye of an enormous grasshopper.

You can't begin to imagine how horrible these things look up close. It actually had lips and sharp teeth. Small fingerlike tendrils protruded from beneath its mouth. I could see the stiff bristles on its legs and the veins in its wings.

I panicked and stumbled backwards, tumbling into the soft soil. I don't know if the bug considered me food or a threat, but it snapped its wings again, then vibrated its back leg to make a long, loud chirp.

It scuttled toward me on six legs, moving across the soil with ease. I scrambled to my feet and ran towards the edge of the garden. The grasshopper snapped its wings again and followed.

I burst from the shade of the garden and into the blazing, blinding sun. I reached the edge of the garden and pulled myself up onto the lip of the crosstie. The oily wood had been baking in the sun all morning, and it burned my hands as I climbed.

A shadow passed over me with an angry buzz, and the grasshopper landed on the crosstie next to me. I dodged and ran left, screaming for Carolyn. The insect pursued me relentlessly.

Another shadow, this one massive, fell over me. And suddenly, Carolyn's foot slammed down on top of the bug. There was a sickening crunch as the grasshopper burst beneath her sandal, spraying acrid brown liquid in every direction.

For a second, neither of us moved. Carolyn simply stood there, staring down at her foot. Her cheeks were red and flushed, her eyes bright. A mischievous smile crept across her face.

"Take that, you little [EXPLETIVE DELETED]," she muttered, twisting her foot to grind the grasshopper to an even finer paste. When she was done, she scraped the bottom of her shoe along the edge of the crosstie.

I stared in horror at the flat, broken pieces that remained of the grasshopper.

"You okay, Davey?" Carolyn asked. I nodded dumbly.

"You better stick with me," she told me. "Be safer that way." She reached down and lifted me up, tucking me into the pocket of her red gingham shirt. I could feel her breast pressing against me through the thin fabric, her nipple stiff with excitement over what she had just done.

I thought about that disturbing smile on her face, and I shuddered.

***

We had our bath afterwards, but it was fairly non-eventful. I spent about twenty minutes squirming between her soapy toes before she finally brought me to a reluctant orgasm. When she was done with me, she set me in the soap dish so she could enjoy her soak.

As I sat there, naked and shivering, I kept thinking about what had happened--that wicked, gleeful grin on her face as she had mercilessly crushed the grasshopper beneath her foot.

I prayed none of us would ever be on the receiving end of that smile.

God, I had no idea...