- Text Size +
GENETITECH/BIOENG. confidential file
SUBJECT: --GOLDMAN, David
A.U. No.: --NC 654 55 D
S.C.I.D. No: --7474HHD
SUPERVISING DOCTOR: --Dr. Terrence LYNCH

ITEM: --Transcript of recorded testimony regarding subject's current condition. File for ASSESSMENT/INFO

[cont.]

I was dozing when Carolyn sat up, yanking me into the air. My wrists were still cuffed around her necklace, and I found myself swinging wildly before finally coming to rest against her breast.

"Good morning, Davey," she said sleepily. "Did you sleep okay?"

In truth, I hadn't slept more than an hour. Every time Carolyn shifted or tossed, I'd be pulled along with her. My wrists were bruised and tender, and my arms felt like they were about to come out of their sockets.

But I couldn't answer her because I was hiding the handcuff key in my mouth. So I just smiled and nodded.

Carolyn yawned and stretched her arms up over her head. "Mmmm, I slept great," she said, stroking me with her fingers. She pressed me gently against her nipple, and I felt it stiffen beneath me.

"I keep you around long enough, I can save a fortune on those [EXPLETIVE DELETED] pills."

I glanced over at the nightstand. The pill bottle was still lying on its side, with a couple of capsules spilled. It looked just like it had when Carolyn had gone to sleep. No sign at all that I'd been up to anything.

She reached over and picked up the pill bottle, shaking it to rattle the pills left inside. "Damn," she muttered. "I thought I had more than that left. Better call Lyle at Walgreen's."

Carolyn reached behind her neck and unclasped the chain. She let it slip from around her neck. I slid down the length of the necklace, unable to stop myself as I rolled down her tan belly and got tangled in her pubic hair.

As I struggled to pull free, Carolyn moaned. She reached down with a hand, not to help me, but to press me tighter against her [EXPLETIVE DELETED]. I closed my eyes and held my breath, waiting for it to be over.

***

Carolyn was going to work in the garden later, so she opted to skip the shower. She threw on some clothes and carried me down the hall to the guest room. She opened the door and snapped on the light. Alerted by her footsteps, the others were already filing out of the dollhouse and rushing into formation.

"Good morning," Carolyn said cheerfully. "Sorry I'm running a little late with breakfast this morning, but little Davey here got a bit frisky this morning."

She knelt and set me down on the floor. As Julie and I approached each other, I faked a cough and spit the handcuff key into my hand. I slipped it into Julie's hand, and she unlocked the cuffs.

"Frisky?" she whispered, rolling her eyes. I just shook my head with exasperation.

Carolyn stood up and gave me a gentle nudge with her sandaled foot. "Go get dressed, sweetie. I'm gonna go fix breakfast." She turned and left the room, stepping over the barricade on her way out. We listened to the slap of her footsteps on the stairs.

"Everything go okay?" Julie whispered as she and Denny came up beside me. Mr. Nichols ambled over as well, unable to hide his nervousness.

"He's, like, gonna be our spotter," Denny explained. "Are we on?"

"Yeah, I dropped them. Six pills," I said. "Now we gotta go get them."

"Hand on a sec, dude," Denny said. He was watching Chad and Linda as they made their way to the dollhouse. Chad glanced over at us and gave Denny a nod.

"What's up with them?" I asked.

"Linda already knows about the hole in the wall," Julie said. "We're trying to keep this plan a secret from her."

"And Chad's on board?"

"Sure," Denny said. "Long as we, like promise to take Miss Greenwood with us when we amscray."

"Okay, we're clear," Julie said. "Let's go."

"Hang on," I said. "I hate to stand on modesty, but could I at least put on some [EXPLETIVE DELETED] pants?"

Julie laughed. "We've got some clothes for you in the truck."

We ran across the hardwood floor to the edge of the bed. Carolyn had carried my car downstairs so I could drive it around on the patio, but Denny's battered Escort, Mr. Nichols' Civic, and Linda's Celica were all still parked next to Eddie's Chevy pickup.

They'd been busy while I'd been otherwise occupied with Carolyn. One end of the yellow tie down rope was knotted around the pickup's roll bar, while the other end had been tied in a bevy of square knots around the tire iron. Lying in the back next to our makeshift grapple, in a couple of trash bags, were the rubber straps and bungees we'd recovered from everyone else's cars.

"Here you go," Julie said, tossing me a pair of sweats and a t-shirt. I slipped them on as quickly as I could, pulled on my sneakers, and scrambled into the back of the truck with Denny. Mr. Nichols climbed in on the passenger side, while Julie hopped behind the wheel. She started it up and gunned the engine. The pickup shot across the guestroom floor, towards the two-by-four that Carolyn had nailed across the doorjamb.

Julie pulled the truck up to the wooden barricade, inching up until the front bumper touched the board. She put the truck in park, with the engine running. She and Mr. Nichols climbed out of the cab. She scrambled into the back of the truck with no problem. Mr. Nichols struggled awkwardly until Denny and I finally grabbed him by the arms and hefted him up.

I picked up the tire iron and tugged on the rope to test its strength. It was nylon, and had hardly been used.

"You sure about these knots?" I asked Denny.

"Right over left, left over right, makes a knot both tidy and tight," he said with a grin. "Me and Chad were Cub Scouts back when we were, like, eight."

"Okay," Julie said, glancing nervously into the massive hallway. "Let's go. Time's a wasting."

Denny bounded up over the cab of the truck and grabbed the top edge of the board with his hands. With a boost from me, he easily made it to the top of the barricade.

I handed up the trash bags and the tire iron, which he set to the side. Next, I helped Mr. Nichols onto the top of the cab. The metal popped and creaked beneath his weight, but held long enough for Denny to reach down and grab his wrists. With Denny pulling and me pushing, we managed to get him up as well.

I was next. My arms were sore and weak from the time I'd spent hanging from Carolyn's necklace, but Denny and Mr. Nichols pulled me up with no problem.

"You guys okay up there?" Julie called. I gave her a thumbs-up. She grinned nervously and got back into the truck.

Denny shook the bungees and straps out of the trash bags. While he was doing that, I picked up the tire iron and tossed it over the other side of the two-by-four. The rope unrolled as the tire iron fell, pulling taut just before it hit the carpet in the hallway.

Mr. Nichols waved to Julie to make sure she could see him. She stuck her arm out the truck window and wave back.

Denny peered out into the hallway, then looked at me. We were all nervous as hell, but he was excited. I couldn't blame him. We'd spent so much time just waiting for [EXPLETIVE DELETED] to happen, but for the first time, we were actually taking action.

"On belay," I said. Taking a deep breath, I gripped the rope and rappelled down the side of the two-by-four. It was about a twelve foot drop before my feet hit the thick shag carpet.

My heart was pounding and my breathing was short as I struggled to maintain my calm. I was over the wall.

Denny came down right behind me, letting go of the rope and dropping the last few feet. He landed in a crouch, then waved up at Mr. Nichols.

In the distance to our left, I could see the stairs leading down to the first floor. The TV was on down there, casting flickering light in the shadowy stairwell. I could hear Willard Scott yammering on about somebody's 95th birthday.

To the right were a couple of closed doors, illuminated by a yellow nightlight in the hallway outlet. One was to the guest bathroom, the other to the linen closet. And at the end of the hallway stood the door to Carolyn's bedroom.

The hallway couldn't have been more than fifteen feet from end to end, but at our height, that was just under two football fields. It was vast and empty, with no place to hide. If Carolyn came up those stairs and saw us, there'd be no escape.

Denny and I made our way down the hallway, hanging close to the wall. Not because it would offer us any protection if we got caught, but because it just felt safer than being out in the open.

The door to Carolyn's room was slightly ajar. Denny followed me into the bedroom. She had left the bathroom light on, and a ribbon of yellow light spilled across the floor. Her clothes lay in a pile on the floor near her bed, next to the grungy white sandals she sometimes wore in the garden. Her pink robe was draped over the edge of the unmade bed.

Denny and I ran across the vast expanse of her bedroom, around the side of the nightstand. There, lying amidst the dust bunnies and the cobwebs, were the six valium capsules I had dropped the night before.

We grabbed them and stuffed three each into the two trash bags. The entire time, our ears were peeled for the sound of Carolyn's approach. If we heard her coming, we only had two choices. Surrender and throw ourselves on her mercy, or hide and hope she wouldn't take it out too badly on the others. Neither seemed an optimal solution.

We each threw a bag over our shoulder and began the trek back to the guest room. It was hard to move quickly through the shin-deep carpet, but we pressed on. Our eyes were on the stairwell the entire time.

We were about twenty feet away (relatively speaking) when we heard the familiar slap-thump of Carolyn's sandals downstairs. Mr. Nichols stood on top of the board, motioning for us to hurry. We ran as fast as we could, stumbling across the carpet.

Carolyn reached the stairs, and we could hear her coming up slowly. One... two... three...

Mr. Nichols tossed down the straps and bungees. Denny and I worked furiously, securing the trash bags to the tire iron. My heart was pounding so hard that I thought it was going to burst out of my chest.

Four... five... six...

Denny and I both grabbed the tire iron with both hands and hung on for dear life. Mr. Nichols waved and shouted down at Julie. I heard the engine rev as the pickup backed away from the board, quickly pulling us to the top. Mr. Nichols waved again, and the truck stopped.

Seven... eight... nine...

I could see Carolyn's shadow on the stairwell wall, and I knew it was only a matter of seconds before her head would pop into view.

Julie sped forward in the truck, bumping the board a little harder than she intended. We tossed the tire iron and the trash bags into the back. Mr. Nichols climbed down awkwardly, stumbling across the top of the cab and landing in the back of the truck with a heavy thud. Denny and I both leapt onto the cab, feeling the metal buckle beneath our feet. When we were both in the pickup's bed, Julie backed up, threw it into drive, and sped towards the dollhouse.

Just as she pulled the truck under the bed, Carolyn stepped into the room. Julie jumped out of the cab and helped Mr. Nichols down. Denny and I frantically unhooked the trash bags and tossed them onto the floor, safely under the bed.

Breathlessly, we all ran out to stand in formation with Eddie, Linda, and Chad. Denny gave Chad the barest of nods, and Chad smiled.

"What were you guys doing under the bed?" Carolyn asked. She stood over us, holding the usual paper plate in one hand and a cup of coffee in the other.

We hadn't really prepared an alibi. Denny, Julie, and I glanced nervously at each other, trying to think of something that sounded plausible.

"Just making sure our cars start," Mr. Nichols said. "Afraid the batteries will go dead if we just let them sit." This seemed to satisfy Carolyn. She set the plate down, then stepped over us to take her seat on the edge of the bed.

"Nice one, dude," Denny whispered. He gave Mr. Nichols a friendly pat on his broad shoulder as he passed by. Mr. Nichols beamed with pride as he grabbed a fistful of toast.

***

Breakfast was a piece of buttered toast, torn into pieces roughly the size of my head. Carolyn set the paper plate down on the floor, then walked over to sit on the edge of the bed. As always, she watched us as we ate. And, as always, there was far too much food. When we were done, she reached down and picked up what we hadn't eaten. She polished off the rest of the toast and sucked her fingers loudly to get the butter off of them.

"Okay, little guys," she said, standing up. "I gotta run into town for a bit and pick up my prescription. Who wants to come with me?"

We all stood still, each of us hoping someone else would volunteer. But the prospect of an afternoon alone with Carolyn was nothing any of us relished.

"Y'all are gonna hurt my feelings," Carolyn said with a grin. Her eyes fell on each of us in turn before finally settling on Mr. Nichols.

"How about you, Tubby? Fresh air and exercise will do you good."

Nervously, Mr. Nichols approached her. He stood and waited for her to reach down for him. Instead, she slid her foot forward slightly and wiggled her toes.

"Climb on," she said. Mr. Nichols gave us a terrified glance, then he struggled to climb onto Carolyn's foot. He grabbed the leather thong that ran between her toes and, after considerable effort, managed to pull himself up.

Carolyn giggled and flexed her toes playfully. "Better hang on," she told him. "You fall off, you'll get squished."

Mr. Nichols held on for dear life as Carolyn stepped over the barricade and closed the door behind her.

***

With Carolyn out of the house, we could relax for a bit. I plopped down on the couch, and Julie sat down next to me.

"Poor Davey's exhausted," she said, playfully. "Apparently he was feeling frisky this morning."

"She must have had him between her toes," Linda said with a giggle. "I remember how much he likes that."

We all just glared at her, and I said, "Sorry, Linda. You must have mistaken us for the people who *don't* hate your [EXPLETIVE DELETED] guts."

Her smile faded. She glowered at me, then turned to Chad. "Come on," she snapped at him. She started for the stairs. Chad followed after her, giving us a sheepish look and a shrug. But Eddie was standing in the stairway, blocking their path.

"Get the [EXPLETIVE DELETED] out of the way, Eddie," Linda said. But Eddie just stood there, his arms crossed, grinning.

"I used to [EXPLETIVE DELETED] her too," Eddie said to Chad. He giggled and glanced over at Julie. "Carolyn accused me of cheating on her with just about everybody we knew, but she never suspected her dear sister Linda."

"Eddie, I'm not kidding," Linda snarled. "Get out of my way."

"Not so big now, are you Linda?" Eddie asked. He reached out and touched her between her legs, running his fingers along the fabric of her shorts.

"Remember when you put me in there?" he said, giggling again? "How did it feel, Linda? Having all that power? Having me at your mercy?"

Linda slapped his hand away angrily. "I should have killed you, you bastard. I can't believe I ever felt sorry for you."

"Shoulda, woulda, coulda," Eddie said, shaking his head. He stepped aside to let Chad and Linda pass, but reached out and took Linda by the elbow. He leaned in and said, in a chillingly calm voice, "By the way, I *am* going to kill you, Linda."

Linda jerked her arm away angrily, and ran up the stairs with Chad following. Eddie watched them until the bedroom door slammed shut in its plastic frame. Then he shambled into the kitchen for a beer.

Denny whistled. "Can I just say I, like, wanna stay on Crazy Dude's good side?"

***

Our respite from Carolyn lasted well into the afternoon. When she got back from the pharmacy, she took Mr. Nichols out to the garden with her. With nothing else to do, I passed the time playing Gin Rummy with Denny and Julie.

Eddie had polished off the last of the beer, and now he stood in the doorway between the dining room and the living room, watching us.

"Hey, Eddie," Julie said, giving him a friendly wave. "Wanna join us?"

Eddie smiled, and for a second, he was his old self. I could see the affable mad scientist that had hired me, the one with aspirations of getting into the history books and taking me with him.

"I don't think I'm crazy," he told us. "I mean, I thought I was crazy, but I've heard that if you think you're crazy, you probably aren't. So that means I'm not crazy, right?"

"No crazier than the rest of us, dude," Denny said. "Any time I start thinking about all the [EXPLETIVE DELETED] that's happened to us, my brain, like, craps itself."

"Yeah," Eddie said, nodding. "We're out of beer."

"Um, that's okay, Eddie," I said. "We'll have Carolyn buy us some more."

"Okay, good." Eddie went on nodding, long after he had quit speaking. Then he turned and wandered back into the kitchen, mumbling to himself.

***

The dollhouse was powered by a couple of C sized batteries concealed behind a panel in the plastic red chimney. Scattered throughout the house were tiny buttons that, when pressed, would make some kind of noise to simulate life for the three-inch dolls that came with it--flushing toilets, crying babies, and even a five-second snippet of generic classical music to represent the radio. But, more importantly, there were light fixtures that plugged into the dollhouse and illuminated it. The light was garish and unreal, much like everything else in the house, but it certainly beat sitting around in the dark.

We were playing cards by the green light of a plastic Tiffany lamp when we heard the approach of Carolyn's footsteps. We'd heard her pass by the guest room several times, so we paused the game and waited, hoping she'd walk on by again.

No such luck. We heard the door to the guest room open. Carolyn turned on the light in the guest room, and it shone through the dollhouse windows like the sun. We tossed our cards onto the table and ran outside. Eddie was right behind us, followed by Chad and Linda.

Carolyn walked toward us, carrying the paper plate that contained our dinner. She had slipped into her pink robe after her shower. It hung down to the middle of her thighs, doing little to conceal the fact that she wore nothing but a pair of white cotton panties beneath it. As always, she seemed unconcerned by the prospect of us seeing her like that.

She knelt down on one knee and set the plate on the floor. Then, with a wicked grin, she slipped her hand into her robe and plucked Mr. Nichols from the waistband of her panties. She placed him on the floor next to her bare foot. The poor man was naked and shivering, still damp from the shower.

Carolyn gave her toes a playful wiggle and Mr. Nichols stood and stared, totally transfixed. He was sporting a very obvious erection beneath his sagging belly. His cheeks were flushed with shame, but he couldn't help himself. I knew just how he felt. But, for once, I understood why Julie had felt such contempt for me when I'd behaved similarly. He wasn't pitiable. He was just pathetic.

"God, Tubby, you're insatiable," Carolyn said, giggling. She flicked him with her finger. "Go get dressed." He stumbled forward, running with great effort towards the dollhouse.

Carolyn watched him for a few seconds, smiling cruelly at his obvious terror. Then she climbed to her feet. "I'm gonna go grab some wine," she said. "Y'all go ahead and get started on dinner."

As soon as she was out the door, Denny started for the valium capsules under the bed. But I grabbed his arm to stop him, jerking my head towards Linda. She was standing next to the plate, ignoring Chad's efforts to pull her away.

"I don't care," she was saying, glaring angrily towards Eddie. "If you guys aren't going to do anything about him, I'm going to ask Carolyn to!"

"Jesus," Julie muttered. "I'll handle this. You guys go do what you gotta do." She ran over to Chad and Linda, and managed to get Linda turned away from the plate. "Hey, Linda. I just wanted to apologize for what happened this afternoon..."

Denny and I ran under the bed and tore open one of the plastic trash bags. We each pulled a capsule from it and ran back towards the paper plate, carrying them under our arms like oversized footballs.

"That's bull[EXPLETIVE DELETED]!" Linda was shouting at Julie. "You don't care about me at all! You're just trying to stay out of trouble with Carolyn!"

"What are you, retarded?" Julie shouted back. "Of course I don't care about you. Do you even remember the [EXPLETIVE DELETED] you did to us when you had us at your house? You made me rub your nipple, you [EXPLETIVE DELETED] cow!"

While they were going at it, Denny and I pulled the gel caps apart and scattered the coarse white powder all over the greasy slice of ham. At our size, the granules of powder were like coarse sand. We spread them as thinly as we could over a portion of the ham, hoping Carolyn wouldn't notice.

"You guys said you liked being with me," Linda said angrily. "You told me you'd rather be with me than my sister. You're the ones that talked me into trying to shrink her!"

When we were done, we tossed the pieces of gelatinous capsule under the bed, then ran back to the plate. Seeing that we had finished, Julie waved Linda off. "You know what? I'm done talking to you."

"Don't you walk away from me, you bitch," Linda shouted at Julie's back. "I should have stomped on you when I had the chance!"

Chad tried to placate Linda, but she was still shouting at Julie when Carolyn came back with her wine.

"Oh, geez," Carolyn muttered. She stepped over us and took her usual seat on the edge of the bed. "What's my sister all wound up about now?"

"Your [EXPLETIVE DELETED] husband is trying to kill me!" Linda shouted. She ran up between her sister's feet, craning her neck to glare up into her face. "He's out of his [EXPLETIVE DELETED] mind, and he wants to murder me! And the rest of these [EXPLETIVE DELETED] are going to just sit around and watch it happen!"

Carolyn sighed and took a sip of wine. Then she reached down and picked Linda up between her finger and thumb.

"You know, there are seven of you living in that house, Linda," she said. "Why is it you're the only one that can't get along with everyone else?"

"[EXPLETIVE DELETED] you, Carolyn!" Linda screamed, pounding on her sister's thumb with her fists. "It's your fault I'm in this mess!"

Carolyn's laugh was a short, mean snort. "Seriously? You're the one that turned the machine on half of [EXPLETIVE DELETED] Odessa. You tried to use it on me, for Christ's sake! And if our situations were reversed, I can only imagine what you'd be doing to me right now."

"Carolyn, I'm your sister," Linda pleaded. "You can't just let Eddie..."

"The hell I can't," Carolyn said. She narrowed her eyes as she glared down at Linda. "That's just what I ought to do. It'd serve you right, after what you did to your husband."

"I didn't do anything to my husband!" Linda screamed. "[EXPLETIVE DELETED] it, I told you! He's on a fishing trip!"

"So you keep saying," Carolyn said. "But Eddie says he saw you kill Randy."

"He's [EXPLETIVE DELETED] crazy!"

"He wasn't crazy when I sent him away with you," Carolyn said. "I don't think he went crazy until you killed his dog."

"He's lying!" Linda squirmed in Carolyn's grasp, trying to look down at us. "Tell her, Dave! Julie! Tell her that Eddie's lying!"

Carolyn glanced down at us, then sighed. "That's enough, Linda. This is getting old."

"He's lying!" Linda insisted. "They're all lying!"

"I said knock it off." Carolyn pinched her finger and thumb together, and Linda let out a painful yelp. "One more word out of you, and you're going in the cuffs tonight."

Linda hung limply in Carolyn's grasp, defeated. Or so we thought. Then, she lifted her head and said, "They planning to escape, Carolyn. Denny's been digging a tunnel behind the dresser."

Carolyn's face went hard. She glared down at us, her eyes falling on Denny. She set her sister down and stepped over us, her bare foot thudding angrily on the wooden floor. She grabbed the dresser and pulled it away from the wall. She knelt down and peered behind it.

"Son of a bitch!" she shouted, pounding her fist against the side of the dresser. She stood up and glared down at us, her hands on her hips and her eyes narrow with rage.

"When the hell did you do that, you little [EXPLETIVE DELETED]?" she yelled at Denny. None of us had ever seen her so angry before, and it was terrifying. She lifted her foot, and Denny's nerve finally broke. He turned and ran.

Carolyn brought her foot down on top of him, pinning him roughly to the hard floor. "Don't you try to get away from me," she snarled, mashing down. Denny's scream was muffled as his face was pressed against her sole.

"What about the rest of you?" Carolyn demanded. "Did you know anything about this?"

"It was just a stupid idea we had," I said desperately. "When we first got here. But we gave up on it, and the only reason we didn't tell you was because we were afraid we'd get in trouble."

Carolyn's toes twitched angrily as Denny struggled beneath them. She looked down at me, then at him. Then, with a sigh, she lifted her foot and let him up.

"Thank you," he said weakly.

"You're not getting off that lightly," she told him. "I'm still thinking of ways to punish you."

Carolyn walked over to the dollhouse, and knelt to wrap her arms around it. She stood up, lifting it from the floor. Our belongings slid around, and some of the plastic furniture fell to the floor as she carried it over to the dresser. She set down on top, so that the front was against the mirror and the open side was hanging a couple of inches over the edge.

"I swear to God, you little [EXPLETIVE DELETED] are more trouble than you're worth," she muttered. She picked up the furniture that had fallen and shoved it into the dollhouse. Then, one by one, she snatched us up and deposited us in the living room.

All except Denny. She didn't even bother to cuff him. She hooked the waistband of her panties with her thumb and she dropped him inside. For a few seconds, she stood there with a cruel smile on her lips, adjusting him through the fabric of her panties until she had him situated just right.

She picked up the paper plate of our uneaten supper and grabbed her wine glass from the nightstand. Then, she started for the door.

"Wait," Linda screamed. "What about me? You're going to leave me in here with these people?"

Carolyn turned and walked over to the house. She bent down and peered in so that her angry face filled the entire missing wall.

"Dave," she said, her warm breath sour with wine. "If anything happens to my sister tonight, I'm going to take a lit cigarette to your girlfriend tomorrow. Got it?"

And with that, she turned and left, turning off the light and closing the door behind her.