- Text Size +
GENETITECH/BIOENG. confidential file
SUBJECT: --GOLDMAN, David
A.U. No.: --NC 654 55 D
S.C.I.D. No: --7474HHD
SUPERVISING DOCTOR: --Dr. Terrence LYNCH

ITEM: --Transcript of recorded testimony regarding subject's current condition. File for ASSESSMENT/INFO

[cont.]

For the next two days, Julie and I experienced a reprieve of sorts. Carolyn seemed obsessed with her husband, and kept him with her at all times. We were pretty much left to our own devices most of the day, while Carolyn spent her time out in the garden or just downstairs on the couch, tormenting poor Eddie. Every once in a while, we'd hear her giggle or shout angrily. Sire would perk up at the noise and start barking, and I'd exchange a nervous glance with Julie.

We saw Eddie during meal times, when Carolyn served us chunks of torn bread and shreds of lunch meat. The three of us would pick nervously at this unappetizing fare, while watching Carolyn tear into her own dinner like some kind of mammoth animal. Just watching her enormous teeth tear chicken from the bone was a horrifying sight to behold.

Poor Eddie was in worse shape at each meal. He was bruised all over, and couldn't stop trembling. He largely ignored me and Julie, and would instead stare into space with glassy, wide eyes. He made no sound, other than a light whimper when Carolyn picked him back up again.

Sunday night, she was carried us back to the dollhouse. Only this time, she Eddie down in the living room, right next to the green plastic couch. Sire ran over to him, sniffed him anxiously, then bared his teeth at Carolyn.

Carolyn set the two of us in the bedroom, then leaned in to speak to us. Her mammoth face filled the blank wall. As usual, her breath was warm with wine and cigarette smoke.

"I was hoping to get a little help painting my toenails tonight," she said, grinning. "But my husband looks too worn out to do the job right. So I was thinking, maybe one of you would be willing to fill in for him."

Julie glanced at me with a look of utter horror on her face. I wondered if she saw the same on mine.

"Aw, come on," Carolyn said, still smiling. "I'm not *that* bad, am I?" She reached into the dollhouse for Julie, who cringed and backed away. Carolyn extended her finger and touched it to Julie's breast. She stroked it gently, while Julie bit her lip and struggled not to cry out.

"How about it, Little Miss Julie?" Carolyn said. "Just us girls tonight. That sounds like fun, doesn't it?"

She grasped Julie by the waist between her thumb and finger. Julie's feet scrambled against the plastic floor as she was slowly lifted. She stared at me, wide-eyed and terrified.

"I'll do it," I announced to Carolyn, stepping forward. Carolyn's grin widened. She dropped Julie on the plastic bed and reached for me instead.

With a smile and a wink, she set me in the palm of her hand and closed her fingers around me. Her hand was uncomfortably warm, and her fingers were greasy with chicken.

"You two behave yourselves," Carolyn said to Eddie and Julie. I was inside her fist, so her voice was muffled but the tone was still clear. It was both playful and menacing. I could even imagine that infuriating, predatory smile firmly in place as she spoke. "Poor Eddie needs his rest."

***

Poor Eddie. I think he had lost his mind the moment he woke up in that dollhouse, and he never quite recovered. And no matter what humiliations and tortures Julie and I suffered at the hands of Carolyn, I imagine it pales in comparison to the ignominies that Eddie was forced to endure.

God, I still remember that day when Carolyn snatched him up and dashed him against the wall. The look on his face, in his eyes, as she wrapped her fingers around him. It wasn't terror, but glee. Wild, manic glee. His final scream was one of triumph.

But I'm getting way ahead of myself...

***

"I should have known you'd volunteer," Carolyn giggled. "Any excuse to be near my pretty feet, right?"

Carolyn was sitting on the edge of the couch, her bare left foot resting on the edge of the coffee table. She held me by my waist, dangling me over her glistening red toenails so I could blow on them. Her massive toes were spread and separated by cotton balls wedged in between.

To tell you the truth, I was quite relieved at how things had worked out. At first, she'd wanted me to actually work the brush. When it proved too difficult to lift the damn thing, let alone use it to apply polish, I'd expected her playful mood to sour. But instead, she'd made a half-joking comment about shrinking down some paintbrushes for next time, and then she had assigned me the more manageable task of blowing her toes dry.

God, I was just happy that she was in a good mood. I knew she was a little nervous about calling GenetiTech the following morning, and I couldn't escape the feeling that I was living on borrowed time. Any minute now, she'd switch from playful to cruel with the ease of a practiced manic-depressive.

"Are they dry yet?" she asked me, lowering me slightly. It was quick-drying polish, the kind that advertised "Wet to set in 30 seconds," so my blowing was more ceremonial than anything. I touched my hand gingerly to the nail on her big toe, and informed her that the polish was indeed dry.

Carolyn leaned forward and set me on the table, then flung herself back on the couch. She tilted her feet down, pointing her toes at me. "You don't mind getting that cotton out for me, do you, sweetie?"

"Glad to," I told her cheerfully. I walked up to her foot, grabbed a handful of cotton, and gave it a yank. It slipped free easily, and I staggered backwards.

Carolyn covered her mouth and laughed. I managed to pull the next two free with no problem, but she clenched up her big and second toe when I got to that final cotton ball.

"Come on," Carolyn said, shaking her foot slightly as I tugged. "Pull hard!" I gave it a hard yank, and she let go with her toes. Once again, I fell backwards on my ass.

"Careful, clumsy." Carolyn lifted her foot from the table and held it aloft, so she could study her toes. She flexed them and nodded her approval.

I guess I was feeling a little lightheaded. I hadn't eaten much over the last few days, and my sleep had been little more than fitful dozing. Add to that the dizzying smell of polish, and I had a pretty good buzz going.

I'm pretty sure that's why I did what I did. When she placed her foot back on the table, I walked up and planted an enthusiastic kiss on her big toe. I told myself I was only doing this to keep her placated, but I know now that was only a rationalization. The truth is, I really wanted to please her. The idea of it excited me.

Carolyn seemed excited as well. She giggled with delight and spread her toes to grasp me. I offered no resistance. Hell, I cooperated. I slipped between her toes and let her lift me from the table.

"Now I've got you," she purred. She wiggled her toes, gently grinding me between them, and I let out an audible moan. Encouraged, she continued to squeeze and rub me mercilessly, taking delight each time I squirmed in her grasp.

I knew I was going to hate myself when it was over, but I didn't care. My erection was painfully obvious, and so tight that it hurt. I writhed and groaned between her wiggling toes until I finally came in a single, violent spasm. Gasping and weary, I hung limply, waiting for the trembling to subside. I planted a very tender kiss on her big toe, then laid my cheek against the shiny red nail.

Carolyn fished a cigarette out of the pack and slipped it into her mouth, her eyes on me the entire time. I looked into her face and said weakly, "Thank you."

She lit the cigarette, then offered me that same infuriating smirk I'd seen before. "Don't thank me yet," she said, with a final squeeze of her toes. "We've still got the other foot to do."

***

Morning came, and I awoke bruised and sore. I was lying on the bed next to Carolyn, pinned beneath her limp hand. I remembered drifting off to sleep on her stomach, but some time in the night she had rolled over and dumped me unceremoniously onto the mattress.

She lay like a massive wall of tan flesh and pink cotton, snoring loudly. A faded portrait of Lucille Ball was emblazoned across the front of her oversized shirt, along with the words "I LOVE LUCY."

My own clothes were lying on the nightstand in a pile, well out of reach. Looming above them was the digital clock radio, which read 6:48. I knew the alarm was set for 7:30, so I was faced with a bit of a quandary.

Should I try to squirm free and risk waking her up early? Or should I simply lie there beneath her hand and enjoy the peace and quiet of the next 42 minutes?

I gave her finger a tentative shove, but it was like pushing against a soft, leather wall. Carolyn stirred and smacked her lips, and I held my breath, hoping she'd resume her snoring. I wasn't ready for this morning to get started.

Carolyn snorted a couple of times and let out a yawn. She lifted her hand from me to rub sleepily at her eyes. I jumped to my feet and ran to the edge of the bed, hopefully out of reach.

"Where do you think you're going?" she asked drowsily. Her eyes were barely open, and she had a sleepy smile on her face. "Trying to get away?"

"No ma'am," I told her. "I was just afraid you might forget about me and roll over."

She chuckled. "You think I'd forget about you? You should be so lucky." Her voice was thick and hoarse from the morning, but at least her mood seemed pleasant.

She stretched her arm in my direction and let it fall to the bed. Her hand came to rest a few inches from where I was standing. She wiggled her fingers, motioning for me to approach. I walked slowly towards her hand, letting her grasp me between her fingers and thumb. She rolled onto her back, holding me dangling above her.

"Today's the big day," she mumbled. "I've got to call those sons of bitches at GenetiTech and tell them how you and Eddie ran off with that invention of his."

"You don't have to do this, Carolyn," I told her. "It's not too late to come clean with GenetiTech. I'm sure Eddie and Julie will go along with me and tell them it was an accident, if you'll just..."

It was the wrong thing to say. Carolyn cut me off with a quick, brutal pinch that made me cry out. That playful, sleepy smile faded quickly into a stern frown.

"What did I tell you about that?" she asked me. Her voice was strict and intimidating. I fought the urge to struggle in her grasp, knowing it would only make her angry. Or angrier.

"I'm sorry, Carolyn," I told her, planting a supplicating kiss on her thumb, which was pressed hard against my chest. "I didn't mean..."

"What did I tell you?" she repeated, giving me a shake.

I stared nervously into her vast, brown eyes for any sign of sympathy, or even a glint of mischief. But there was none.

"That if I tried to change your mind again, you'd... punish me."

She smiled then, but it was a cold and tight-lipped smile. Somehow, it was even scarier than the scowl she had worn before. "Actually, I believe I said I'd take a lit cigarette to you."

"Carolyn, please! I swear, I didn't mean anything by it!"

"Shh." Still smiling callously, she sat up and kicked off the covers. She slid over to the edge of the bed and set me down in the overflowing ashtray on the nightstand. The dry, gray ashes swirled through the air like a foul smelling cloud, clinging in flakes to my sweaty skin. I stood up to my knees in chewed, nasty cigarette butts, most of which were stained red with lipstick.

"Stay put," she ordered me, tapping the nightstand with her index finger. "If you try to get away, it'll be ten times worse, I promise."

I was trembling now. My legs were quivering, and the smell of the discarded cigarettes was making my empty stomach churn. I coughed and wiped frustrated, frightened tears from my cheeks.

"Please Carolyn," I said, utterly pathetic. "I'll do anything you want. I swear to God! Just please don't do this!"

Ignoring me, Carolyn fished a cigarette out of her pack and lit it. She took a couple of drags on it, then slowly lowered the burning end towards me.

I tried to back away, but tripped over a cigarette butt and fell backwards into the pile. Gritty, nasty dust and cold ash stuck to my back and arms.

Smiling, sadistic, Carolyn slowly lowered the cigarette towards me. I pleaded with her and even prayed to her, desperately searching for the one thing to say that would stay her hand. As the smoldering black ember grew closer, I screwed my eyes shut. And in desperation, I screamed out, "Please! I love you, Carolyn!"

The cigarette touched me, and I screamed myself hoarse. But I suddenly realized I wasn't burned. In fact, it felt a little wet. I opened my eyes and saw she had pressed the filtered end to my chest.

Carolyn was squealing with laughter. She placed the cigarette back in her mouth, then snatched me up out of the ashtray. Chortling, she flicked my filthy genitals with her fingernail.

"You should have seen your little face," she laughed. Her voice rose a couple of octaves, mimicking the tiny and pathetic quality of my own. "Oh please don't Carolyn! I swear I'll do anything you say, Carolyn! Please! I love you, Carolyn!"

I was still weeping, trembling in her grasp. My cheeks were flushed from the stress and humiliation. But the freaky thing is, I wasn't angry. Seriously. I was so overcome with gratitude towards Carolyn for sparing me my inevitable punishment.

She took the cigarette from between her lips and playfully blew a cloud of smoke into my face. I coughed and blinked the tears from my eyes. "Thank you," I said softly.

She sighed. "I don't want to hurt you, Davey. You know that, right? You're my special little guy."

"Yes ma'am," I said, still eyeing the cigarette in her other hand. She finally reached over and snubbed it out in the ashtray, and I kissed her finger in gratitude.

"Just do what I tell you, okay?" She held me closer to her face, so that all I could see was her enormous mouth. "That's not too much to ask, is it?"

I shook my head emphatically. "No ma'am."

"Good boy." She pressed me to her lips and kissed me messily. Then she stuck out her tongue and made a "yick" sound. "You taste like an ashtray," she said with a giggle.

"I'm sorry, Carolyn," I told her. "I swear, I'll be good from now on."

And suddenly, that sweet smile was back. "Okay, Dave. Why don't we go grab a shower, before I call GenetiTech?"

***

Carolyn made one last tour through the house, to make sure there was nothing incriminating left for the investigators to find. I rode on her bare shoulder, clinging to the strap of her tank top to steady myself. Her hair was still damp and smelled really nice, like guava fruit.

I was still naked, and a little self-conscious of the way her warm skin felt against mine. But Carolyn had insisted, and I had happily agreed to the condition. It hadn't even occurred to me to ask her why.

The first thing Carolyn did was gather up all of our vehicles (including Julie's smashed BMW in the lab trashcan) and place them in a shoebox. She then carried the shoebox into the guest bedroom and snapped on the light. The dollhouse stood on the table, looking small and pathetic compared to the immensity of the rest of the room.

From my vantage point, I could see Eddie struggling to hold the barking Sire. Julie was upstairs, hurriedly dressing, racing against the approach of Carolyn's sandaled footsteps.

"Rise and shine, boys and girls," Carolyn said cheerfully, approaching the dollhouse. She knelt and peered in, smiling at her tiny prisoners. "I need you to gather up all of your clothes, books, and other stuff that's been shrunk and bring it to me."

Julie took one look at me, and her eyes filled with horror and pity. No doubt she was assuming the worst, and I wanted to tell her that everything was okay. Carolyn and I had come to an understanding.

But Julie spoke first. "Put him down, Carolyn!" she shouted, shaking her fist. "Right now!"

She was so outraged, so angry. But for the first time, I saw her as Carolyn must... a tiny doll throwing a comical tantrum. Carolyn reached into the dollhouse and flicked Julie with her finger, knocking her onto the plastic bed.

"I don't have time for your games this morning," Carolyn told her. "Do what I told you, or I'll put out a cigarette on your cute little ass."

"Please, Julie," I called from Carolyn's shoulder. "Just do what she says."

The look in Julie's eyes made my stomach hurt. She glared at me as if I had betrayed her. And perhaps I had, but at the time I was just frustrated with her for provoking Carolyn in the first place.

***

At last, all of our personal effects were gathered into the shoebox. Carolyn carried it into her bedroom and placed it on the top shelf of her closet, behind a stack of folded sweaters.

She then returned to the guest room and gathered up Julie, Eddie, and Sire in her hands. Sire was barking frantically, and Eddie held him tightly, trying to keep him quiet.

"You'd better shut that [EXPLETIVE DELETED] dog up," Carolyn said, "before I do."

Eddie looked so haggard and beaten down, as if he'd aged 20 years over the past few days. He had his arms around Sire's neck and was petting him furiously, whispering soothing things to the poor dog.

Carolyn carried them into her bedroom and set them on her dresser. Then she opened the top drawer and rummaged around through the disheveled pile of panties and socks.

"Here we go," she muttered. She fished a single, black stocking out of the drawer and held it up, shaking it and letting it dangle.

Julie stared angrily at Carolyn and shook her head. "Oh, hell no!" she shouted.

"Um, what's that for?" I asked Carolyn.

"Can't have you little guys running around today," she said. With her fingers, she opened the top of the stocking and blew down into it. "I'm sure those GenetiTech people are going to want to look around, and I can't have them finding you, now can I?"

She reached over and picked up Sire, pulling him away from Eddie. Sire cried out and barked frantically, his hind legs kicking like mad. Carolyn dropped him into the stocking. Next was Eddie, who offered no resistance.

Julie lost her temper and her composure when Carolyn reached for her. She kicked and screamed in Carolyn's grasp.

"Stop whining, you little princess," Carolyn said wearily, holding Julie to her face. "At least it's clean. One more word, and I'll go dig something out of the hamper for you."

Julie gave me one more withering glare before Carolyn dropped her into the stocking, letting her tumble down inside. She then held the stocking up to regard her captives as they struggled weakly in the nylon toe.

"Just to make sure you don't do anything stupid like try to escape, I'm going to keep Dave with me," she said. She flicked at them with her fingernail, watching them swing back and forth. "If I come back and find so much as a run in this stocking, you guys will be scraping Dave off of the bottom of my shoe. Understand me?"

I was pretty sure she was bluffing, but she said it with such conviction that I wasn't sure. And at that moment, I also wondered if holding me hostage would be enough to deter Julie and Eddie. Would either of them be willing to risk my life if it meant getting away from Carolyn?

I hoped not. I really doubted it. But I just couldn't say for sure.

Carolyn tied a knot in the stocking, then slipped it into the drawer. She threw a few more pairs of socks and panties on top of it, then knocked the drawer closed with her hip.

Finally, it was back to the guest room. Carolyn grabbed the dollhouse in both arms and carried it awkwardly to the closet. She wasn't so much worried about hiding it as she was just getting it out of the way. If the GenetiTech guys discovered it and asked her about it, she would just tell them it was a toy for Eddie's nieces when they came to visit.

Once everything was in place, she walked back downstairs and plopped down on the couch. She grabbed the portable phone, leaned back, and crossed her leg. And in spite of everything that was going on, I still felt a twinge of excitement at the sight of her sandaled foot.

Carolyn reached for me, and I stepped helpfully into her grasping fingers. She picked me up and set me on her ankle. Naked and trembling, I stared at the red flip flop that dangled from her foot, and the matching red nails on the toes that gripped it mercilessly.

"Okay, toy boy," she said with a playful smirk. "It's show time. You just keep yourself occupied while I make this call."

***

What can I say about Carolyn? You've spoken with her... you know what a good liar she is. During the course of her call to GenetiTech, she actually started crying. I looked up at her, a little startled, but she just smiled at me through the tears and gave her foot a playful shake to let me know she was fine.

But, oh, how pathetic she sounded. She explained that she had awakened that morning to find her husband and me gone, with no note and no word of explanation. My car and his truck were gone as well, and he had taken whatever he'd been working on in the lab.

Her voice quavered, poignant and brave, but eventually she broke down sobbing when she told them he'd even taken his dog with him. The guy she was talking to (I think it was Tim Ware) asked her to refrain from contacting the police or telling anybody until they could look into it themselves. And Carolyn graciously complied.

***

Two guys from GenetiTech showed up about twenty minutes later. Carolyn took a few seconds to put on her sad face, then plucked me from between her toes and tucked me gently into the pocket of her shorts. Then she went to let them in.

Most of the interview was pretty muffled from where I sat, but I'm sure you guys have all of that on file. Basically, they asked her the simple stuff. Had Eddie been visited by any people Carolyn didn't know? Had he been receiving any strange phone calls? Had he been leaving the house for unexplained errands? It was obvious they already had their hypothesis in mind and were simply looking to fill in the blanks. And of course, it was exactly the theory Carolyn had wanted them to have.

She mentioned that he had been meeting with Julie a lot more often than usual, to the point that she had begun to suspect the two of them were having an affair. She also said that Eddie, Julie and I would often meet in the lab there for hours at a time, and that Eddie would always play the radio so she wouldn't overhear what was being discussed.

When asked about Eddie's project, Carolyn feigned ignorance. She said she didn't understand any of that scientific bull[EXPLETIVE DELETED], which is probably why Eddie gave up ever trying to talk to her about it.

The security guys poked around in the lab, looking for any notes or anything Eddie might have left behind, but Carolyn had wiped the swipe board clean, and all of Eddie's notebooks were boxed up and sitting at her sister Debbie's house at the moment.

The whole thing was over in less than an hour. One of the men placed a call to GenetiTech, informing them to issue a high-security bulletin for Eddie's truck and my car. He also told them to check with Julie Martin's parents and see if she had ever made it home for the holidays.

The two men then cornered Carolyn and tried to put the frighteners on her. They explained that Eddie, Julie, and I were involved in something that was quite sensitive, and that she was under no circumstances to reveal any of the details to anyone, not even law enforcement. If she received any calls or any visits from the police, she was to contact Tim Ware at GenetiTech immediately.

If anyone questioned her husband's absence, she was to tell them that Eddie had left her and she had no idea of his whereabouts, which they claimed was essentially true. If anybody asked her about me, she was supposed to feign ignorance.

Carolyn agreed with just the right degree of nervousness and eagerness to please. And satisfied that they had the situation well in hand, the two security men returned to GenetiTech to file their report.

***

Julie was good friends with Rachel Foster, the woman that used to head up security at GenetiTech. And Julie has always maintained that, had Rachel been taking care of business here in Midland, then none of this would have gotten as far as it did.

But at the time, Rachel was personally heading up some operation in Stasheff, and Tim Ware was running things here in her stead. And instead of having Carolyn "removed," Tim opted to elicit her cooperation through mild threats and a small stipend.

After all, he reasoned, she was basically harmless.

***

Carolyn sat on the couch, a wine glass in one hand and the telephone in the other. She was speaking to Linda, trying really hard to be discreet just in case GenetiTech had tapped the phone line.

We were all on the coffee table, wondering (and dreading) what would come next. I was still naked, but was trying to cover myself with the discarded cotton balls from the night before. It helped, but not much.

Julie and Eddie were pretty shaken up after spending all morning tied up in a stocking and stuffed in a drawer. Neither of them would speak to me, as if they somehow held me accountable.

Sire was there as well, standing at the edge of the table and barking at Carolyn. So far, Carolyn was ignoring him. Lucky dog.

"I just thought you might like to come over and hang out with me when you get off work," she said to Linda, her voice weary and sad. "I mean, with Eddie gone and all, I'd really enjoy the company."

She winked at me and flashed me a smile to let me know she was acting. She seemed inordinately pleased to be including me in her little scheme, as if I were some kind of coconspirator. Hell, in her mind, I probably was. Julie and Eddie obviously thought so as well.

"I really need to talk to you," I whispered to Julie.

"Just [EXPLETIVE DELETED] off, Dave," she hissed at me, walking to the other side of the table. I wanted to grab her arm to stop her, but couldn't without dropping one of my wads of cotton.

"That's okay, sweetie," Carolyn said with a convincing sigh. "I understand. Maybe tomorrow for lunch?"

Sire just kept on barking and barking, even when Carolyn's gaze finally fell on him. Eddie shouted something unintelligible and rushed towards the dog to shush him up.

"That sounds great, Linda. I'll see you then." Carolyn leaned forward and slammed her palm down on the table with enough force to knock all of us down. She missed Sire by inches, but the wind from the blow was enough to send him rolling across the table. He let out a yelp and retreated towards Eddie.

"Bye bye." Carolyn turned off the phone and dropped it on the couch next to her.

"Linda won't be able to make it tonight," she informed us. "Randy's taking her to the Sizzler for dinner." She giggled and shook her head. "He's wanting to go on some deep sea fishing trip with his buddies next week, so he's trying to butter her up so she'll let him go."

I chuckled, earning another drop-dead gaze from Julie. I hated having her mad at me, but I didn't understand why she insisted on making everything so hard. If only she and Eddie would quit trying to antagonize Carolyn, life would be so much easier with her.

Sire once again found his nerve and bounded to the edge of the table. Carolyn watched with some amusement as the dog barked viciously at her. She raised the wine glass to her lips and drained it in one long gulp.

"That's enough out of you, you stupid [EXPLETIVE DELETED] mutt," she said. She turned the wine glass upside down and placed it on the table, over Sire. His barking muted, Sire jumped up against the side of the glass. He stood on his hind legs and pressed his front paws against the crystal, snarling at Carolyn's smirk.

"So, it looks like I've got you little guys all to myself for the rest of the day."

Carolyn reached down and grabbed Julie, who kicked and screamed weakly in her grasp. It was no use. I could have told her that. She was only making things worse by resisting. Carolyn tugged at Julie's clothes, stripping her roughly. Then she slipped Julie beneath her tank top, setting her astride her left nipple.

Eddie stood at the upturned wine glass, his palms pressed against the side, desperately trying to soothe his frantic dog. He didn't even notice Carolyn's hand until she had snatched him up. She removed his clothes as well and put him to work on her other breast.

She moaned softly and squirmed, then giggled with delight as Eddie and Julie struggled beneath her shirt. She stroked them through the fabric of her tank top.

"Really, Dave," she said to me, a hint of teasing in her voice. "Isn't it a little late for modesty now?"

With a sigh and a nod, I let the cotton fall from my hands. Pleased, Carolyn leaned back on the couch and placed her foot on the edge of the table.

"Don't you worry, sweetheart," she said to me, spreading her toes. "I saved the best job for you. I know how much you enjoy this."

Without a word, I walked up to her foot and squeezed myself between her toes. As she grasped me between them and wiggled them playfully, I stroked her big toe with my fingers and nuzzled it with my cheek. And I gazed up into her smiling face with utter gratitude.

She was right. I did enjoy it. I know how sick that sounds now, but at the time it seemed totally reasonable.

***