- Text Size +
I wiped my eyes, still a bit dizzy, standing up I proceeded to the bathroom.
I started washing my face, looking in the mirror.
“What are those dreams?!” I looked at my tired eyes, which didn’t get a lot of sleep tonight, even they were worried about the fact that my visions were becoming more and more realistic, so much that I were starting to think they were real.
I turn off the water, and after drying my face with a towel, I walked toward the door.
No matter what, I had a job to carry on, and there was no time to lose.
After a quick coffee, I went out and rushed to my car, driving to Victoria's place.
I knocked on the door three times before I heard footsteps coming toward my direction.
The door slided open and Victoria appeared in front of my face smiling, dressed up and ready to go.
She looked back and shouted Kris’s name, who after a few seconds joined us.
“Did you sleep well?”I asked to the two ladies who nodded their heads, then looking at Kris.
“We need to pay a visit to your friend, Kris, do you know where she lives?”
“Yes, I can lead you there, it is not very far from here!” We all got into my car, I turned on the engine and drove following Kris’s indications.
I parked my car next to what looked like an old house, it felt like it could cramble at any moment.
“Does your friend live here?”
I wondered, not able to understand why someone would stay in a place like this.
“When she became 18, her parents moved to France but she wanted to stay here, I know she has a job but she doesn’t make enough to afford a house so she lives in her dead grandma's place.”
Kris explained to us, but still there was something that wasn’t quite right, I suppose going inside may clear my doubts.
I knocked on the door, and waited a few seconds.
“Is someone in there?”
I knocked another time, bumping my hand against it, the door slided open.
I looked at Victoria, and since it appeared there was no one around, even if it was wrong we decided to go in.
It was dark, I couldn't see past my nose, somehow it looked…familiar.
From a pocket of my coat, I grabbed a lighter and turned it on.
The dim light was not enough to lit up the whole room, so I started to look for a window.
Moving forward, I felt a nasty smell go up my nostrils.
“Not again….” I recognized it and looked down, where it seemed like it was coming from.
On the floor there were two bloodstains, separated by a thick empty line.
The shape, the position..it reminded me of the dream I had this night.
If I were to take for real its contents, then these two stains should belong to a tiny body ripped in half…
I moved the lighter around, localizing a closed window in the left wall, I walked toward that direction and opened it.
The sun illuminated the room, revealing what looked like an empty living room with a table in the middle and a kitchen to the side of the wall where the window was.
Since it appeared that this place was similiar to Kris's house, I suppose that the door on the front wall should be Serena's room.
I made sign to Victoria and Kris to stay here and walked toward the door.
Slowly, I slided it open, taking a peek inside, I made sure it was clear, so I entered in.
The room was almost empty but for a bed and a dresser, which I started to analyze.
In the first drawer, there were organized bras and panties, which other than being something I shouldn’t look at morally, didn't seem to be related to my case, so I leave them by though I noticed that they were all black.
In the second one, instead, there was a mess of different type of stockings but like before,even these were all black…This was kind of curious, didn’t know if this was a detail I should keep in mind, but for now it is better I do that.
I moved toward the bed, this time nothing truly stood out, it was tidy and clean.
I crouched down and looked beneath the bed, apart from a few pair of shoes and a bit of dust nothing sticked out.
“I suppose we are done here” I join the group back in the living room, Victoria had noticed the bloodstain, she was studying it and taking some notes while Kris was waiting outside, probably Victoria wanted to stop her from seeing it.
“Another murder it seems!”
Victoria sighed, I suppose you never get used to this.
“We should go to the precint , need to inform them about our findings!” After she noted down what I had found in the other room, we walked back in my car and I drove to the precint.
Leaving the rest of the crew in, I walked inside alone.
As soon as I stepped in, my head started to spin, everything blacked out.
When I woke up, I was yet again small, the sound of laughters filled my ears.
In front of me, there was a dark face,no features were visible, I was standing on the palm of a hand.
From the slim profile of the fingers and the long nails, I could guess they belonged to a girl.
“If you had listened to me, this wouldn't have happened”
A familiar voice, a chuckle, then her fingers warped around my body.
Pressing me down with all their strength, my body was slowly getting compressed, a few crunches filled my ears, my bones snapping one after the other.
My vision became red, my blood vessels popping, I could smell it until everythinng turned black.
When I woke up, I found myself sitting on a comfortable chair.
“You finally woke up!”
Victoria's voice echoed in my ears.
“Where am I?”
“We can talk about that later, it looks like a cop went to Serena's house before us and now he is missing…well, from what we have gathered he has been probably killed!They are sending a squad to Serena’s workplace!”
“No….We need to hurry!They are…”
Even if I hadn’t recovered completely yet, I jumped off the chair and bursted outside.
Seeing how far my visions had been able to predict the course of events, I knew that those people were in danger, there was no time to waste!