- Text Size +
Grabbing her attention was beyond any reasonable expectation. He paced and cursed to the air in her shade, as she sat at her desk scarcely a foot away; an inaccurate measurement when an inch is a day’s worth of distance. He had been like this for hours now, he had watched her go and come back to her work many times. The gargantuan area she took up in the sky, her deific scale and beauty with ponytail hair and piercing marine eyes, diminished to absolute meaninglessness when the shock was over and the hunger set in. It was bad now, but as the afternoon ticked by into evening, as co-workers gradually got up and left, he was left with a growing hollow in his stomach.

The sickening dizziness of it made the feeling more unbearable: streaking ridges in the wood made canyons, flaws stuck up like mountainous shards, dandruff his co-worker had scratched from her hair and flicked to the table made up globular hunks, sprinkled across the chipboard desert. Waving and screaming had not worked, nor had ringing or so much as messaging her because his phone wouldn’t cooperate at this scale. The disorienting, lonely, maddening scenario was made all the worse as his stomach lurched in hunger and his tongue dried up with thirst.

He had felt personally insulted when she had returned from lunch still crunching a roll, slapping her lips together in taunting satisfaction that he wished he could know again. Every slurp of sweetened coffee shook the dry wood lands; bad enough at a normal size, she ate louder close-up than he could have imagined. He let a disgusting hope build up inside that a small, single drip of sauce or speck of cheese could come crashing down like a blessing from heaven. The best he got was still enough to excite him. Flakes of toasted bread roll, golden and still warm, impacted the surface all around. The nearest was jagged and resembled a crashed star ship, looming distant and promising relief.

Not long after she had finished eating and licked the remains from her fingers, he set out to reach the magnificent flake. It would be cold by the time of his arrival, but that was not on his mind in the slightest. He was desperate. One ridges after another proved its own special challenge and a straight path was out of the question. Some gaps in the surface were so wide and deep, it took hours of walking, climbing, and retracing footsteps to reach the other side. By the time he had passed three great crevices, even she had left and the world was plunged into darkness.

The night was restless; walk, stop, keep going, cry a little, shake with the cold, test if the wood grains taste better over here – and so on. This went on into the next day, and again she came, ate, worked, and left. Then again. His feet tripped with every step, the heat of the lights and the cold of the night pained his arching skin and joints, and he had nothing to accompany him but the lonely thoughts of hopelessness that drowned his mind, or the banal muffled ramblings of office chatter.

By the third day, he was crawling and weeping. The flake seemed no closer than the day he had started. He was far from energetic enough to even scream in anger at the gods above. At some time around lunch break, as she returned once more to the desk, he gave way altogether and collapsed to the ground. Within an hour, the tremors of typing had sent his body tumbling into a crack. The last thing he knew, at the bottom of the ravine, was the slurp and crunch of cruel fate and the image of a flake burned into his eyes.