- Text Size +

 

"Let me just ask a question first. Is the world safe?" she asked. When you restored the True Sephiroth, you restored reality at the same point it fractured. It was as if nothing ever happened. So yes, you saved the world. Although, some things did not change. The goddesses slain remain dead.  Your friend Joseph still lays dead. Just as their power protected them from reality shifting, so did it preserve their ends" he replied. Faith sat down and buried her head in her knees silently crying. The being, the Creator of her world, sighed as he petted her head. "Not all happy endings come cheap" he said. "If you're God, then why didn't you help? The world was plunged into darkness and pain!" she yelled at the giant. "You know if I had a nickel for every time a mortal asked why I let bad things happen, well the afterlife would be filled with them. How can I explain this in a way you'd understand? Faith, you're a mother of two children. Children just now learning to walk right?" he asked. She nodded. "When they stumble and fall, did you pick them up?" he asked. "Yeah" she replied. "Every...single...time?" he asked. "No, they have to learn to pick themselves up on their own" she replied. The man smiled. "But this is way more than stumbling!" she said. "Not from the perspective of someone that has seen ages of man come and go. If I intervene every time something goes wrong, then what's the point of free will?" he asked. She did not answer.

 

"I've intervened in the past. Personally spoken to mortals and that's tricky at best. As you talk to me, you're thinking I'm not what you expected the humans' monotheistic God to be. That's because almost nobody gets it right. Almost nobody as those that do are labeled as heretics, blasphemers, or nutcases. The wise ones say nothing. A pity that the world is such a place where a lie is safer than the truth. Talking to mortals is like a child's game of telephone. Over time they twist and distort the message until it's no longer mine" he said shaking his head. Faith looked around once more at the room. "Am I dead? I mean I felt my heart stop"' Faith asked. "For over half a year, you were possessed by one of the most powerful beings in the world. Anyone else would've burned out like a candle, but since you were an Etherion user, your body withstood the strain. Having said that, at the end, your body was pushed beyond its limits. Right now, your body is between life and death" he replied. "And this is heaven?" she asked. "No this is my home. Heaven is where I work. Why don't we take a walk?" he said standing up. With a snap of his fingers, Faith found herself with him borrower size sitting on top of a tall bookshelf. She looked around to see they were in an American kindergarten. 

 

"When I visit the mortal realm, I tend to shrink down to avoid any...interruptions so to speak.  And one of my things to do is sit and simply watch children. It gives my perspective" he said. "God needs perspective?" she asked. "Oh absolutely. Free will is the ultimate wild card. Even I can't predict that. Infinite possibilities over time collapsing into just one. No better way to see that than watching a child. Observe" he said pointing down. "So kids. As thanksgiving is around the corner, why don't we make hand turkeys for your parents. Now take your paper and crayons and trace your hand" a teacher said. The teacher was actually a borrower woman no older than 25. She calmly walked around observing the giant children as they worked. "As you know, once upon a time this would've been impossible. A borrower as a kindergarten teacher? A fantasy at best but your parents made it all possible. In effect, they changed reality. Three years ago, that woman was a sex toy of a very cruel man. Every night he would rape her until she passed out. Every time she prayed to something to end her misery. I could've stepped in and took her away. Gave the man a heart attack. Or just...took her life. But some things happen because they have to happen. Everything led to this moment" he said. As he said that, one boy began sniffling as the crayon he was using broke. "And this is what fascinates me. Infinite possibilities intersecting" he said. 

 

The man held his breath as he watched the borrower pause and look at the boy. Her exceptional hearing picked up his sniffling where human hearing may not have. She walked over to him. "Caleb what's wrong honey?" she asked. "My brown crayon broke. I can't finish my turkey" he sniffled. "You know what would be cool? A blue turkey" she said. "Turkeys aren't blue" the boy said. "Captain America turkeys are" she said. She giggled as the boy did and the giant boy picked up a blue crayon and started coloring again. God clapped his hands quietly. "That was nice" Faith said. "More than nice. If she did not comfort the boy, many of his futures included murdering women. One a very prolific serial killer of borrower women. I shall spare you the details" he said. "Over a damn crayon?!" Faith yelled. "All things start small Faith. Take Hitler. His cruelty was learned from his father. Reminded by starving on the streets. Polished when denied entry into art school. Would it shock you that one of his futures included winning the Peace Prize?" he asked. Her eyes went wide. "So, what's that kid's future now?" she asked. "Don't know but many dark ones ceased to be, and brighter ones are more possible. Some include now marrying borrower women because he never forgot the kindness of this teacher. All of this is possible because bad things had to happen" he said. 

 

"I sense this is about me altering the timeline" she said. "You did what you thought you had to do to make things right. Etherion herself warned you there would be repercussions you couldn't conceive of. You weakened reality" he replied. "And made the way for Lilith to take over" she said softly. "Lilith was bound to try then or a million years hence. I... regret how I acted concerning her. My own anger destroyed many of her futures" he said quietly. "God has regrets?" she asked. "If I can do anything then I can also have regrets" he said. "This...this is..." she muttered. The being embraced her and held her close. "A lot to take in absolutely. But I needed you to understand a few things before I ask something difficult of you" he said. "What is it?" she asked. "You can stay in Eden guarding the center of reality from any incursions. While Lilith is vanquished, there are others out there with the power to do what she did, and Earth once more would fall to darkness and pain. Or, you can simply go home to your family" he said. "But leave the world unguarded because of something I did" she finished. He did not answer. "How long would I be there?" she asked. "Until reality is healed is the easiest answer. In concerns of time, that has no meaning there" he replied. "A day or a million lifetimes from a perspective" she said. "A very...enlightened point of view" he said. "Can I think on it?" she asked. God nodded and left her. 

 

Faith sat on top of the bookcase for a few extra hours thinking over his request. Either guard reality and risk never seeing her loved ones again or returning home risking another attack and possibly one they couldn't prevail against. At first, she rationalized if there was another attack, they would simply rally and fight back like last time. The more she thought on it, the more she realized their strength was fairly depleted. There were no guarantees they could win against someone the likes of Lilith...or worse. Faith sighed and looked upon the teacher as if she had the answer. The children were all laying down napping as the tiny woman walked around checking them. One giant little girl was whimpering in her sleep and the borrower came to her. Gently, she wiped away a tear on the child's cheek. "This is more than just a job to her" Faith muttered. The teacher stepped aside and sat down, pulling off her shoes and socks to rub her feet. Curiosity getting the better of her, Faith floated down, summoned some clothes, and approached the woman. "Hello?" Faith asked. The woman nearly jumped out of the skin. "Whew! Scared the crap out of me. If you're looking for the borrower wing of the school, it's down the hall to the left" the woman said. "Thanks. I couldn't help but notice you in here. You teach the humans?" Faith asked. "Yep. Started teaching back in September. Ms. Conrad" the borrower said walking to Faith and shaking her hand. "Faith McCormick" Faith said shaking it.

 

"So... isn't it dangerous for you to be teaching a bunch of giant five-year-olds?" Faith asked. "Yeah, I get that from the other teachers, the parents, even the janitor. They can be grabby, cranky, and wild at times and more than once I've been snatched up like a toy but at the end of the day it all works out somehow. The job definitely keeps me on my toes. Speaking of which the walking is the hardest part" she chuckled flexing her bare feet on the expansive carpet. "It sounds more trouble than it's worth. One trip, fall, or tantrum..." Faith said. "My first week here I thought that too but the closer I got to my kids the more I saw what other humans don't see or in our case smell. Old worn shoes, dirty clothes, dried tears, odors of all kinds. This school, my classroom is sometimes their only safe space for them. It's not just teaching them how to count or spell. It's like being a surrogate parent. I can't have kids Faith. I was...hurt a few years ago so I can't be a parent, but I love these giant silly humans like they're my own. There's no greater feeling than a kid picking you up and hugging you ever so gently because you helped him spell "mommy" she said. "Would you say this job is bigger than you?" Faith asked. "Figuratively and literally" the woman laughed. Faith walked over to the boy God had warned earlier stood the chance of being a serial killer. Now being much closer, Faith noticed hairline scars on him. "This boy..."

 

"His dad is a drunk. Met him last week at a PTA meeting. Poor little guy is very sensitive to any mistake he makes. I talked to my boss about calling CPS but..." she said shrugging. "But what?" Faith asked. "They said those kinds of scars could just be being a kid playing" she said. Faith briefly thought of doing something herself. Shrinking the boy and telling them both to run away. Paying a visit to his father, shrink, and torture the bastard. But having gone through so much, she was finally thinking of possible unexpected consequences to her actions. "Keep trying. Keep being there for the boy. It could make all the difference" Faith said softly petting the boy's cheek. "I intend to" the teacher said. Faith nodded and walked out of the room. "So, I take it you made your decision?" God asked walking behind her. "You were watching?" she asked. He gave a slight smile. "I'm impressed. The old Faith would've been impulsive and used her magics" he said. "The old Faith died in Israel. To answer your question, the answer is yes. This is more than just what I want. I made this problem possible; I have a responsibility to fix it" she said. "And?" he asked. "And I want a world where kids like them have a fair chance shaping it on their own" she replied.  "Good answer" he said. "Can I tell my family?" she asked. "You must be quick. The longer Eden remains open, the more unsavory beings out there will notice. Five minutes Faith" he said snapping his fingers.

 

"FAITH!" Alicia and Selah screamed as she appeared in her living room. "We thought...we thought" Alicia said breaking down. "We thought you died mom when you didn't return" Selah said. "In a way I did. I ended up in a place...well it's hard to describe. I ended up there and met God. Well, sort of God" Faith said. "You're not making sense" Alicia said. "I can barely make sense of it myself. I met someone who made our reality. And well...he offered me a job" Faith shrugged. "She must've suffered a concussion" Selah said. "I'm not concussed. Reality was restored but it's not back to normal. Not completely. Anyone like Lilith could come and do it all again. That is unless someone was to stay in Eden and guard against it" she said. "You?!" Alicia yelled. "How long mom?" Selah asked. "Dunno. Time doesn't work there like it does here. I don't know how long I'll be gone" Faith replied. "Nuh uh. Nope. Some guy comes along saying he's god..."

 

"He's the real deal Alicia. He may or may not be your Christian God but he's the head honcho of everything" she said. "Then he can pick someone else! I'm not losing you again!" Alicia yelled casting a binding spell. Alicia was shocked seeing it fizzle out instantly. "That wasn't me dispelling it. He's watching" Faith said. "PICK SOMEONE ELSE! She's mine.... she's everything good about me. If you take her away, I'll lose the best part of me" Alicia said falling to her knees whimpering. "It's why I said yes. To protect what's good. What gives us the strength to keep going. Nobody is going to take away our light anymore, but I have to make sure the darkness never has the chance again" Faith said putting her hand on her shoulder. Alicia buried her face in her breasts sobbing. "Mom. Matty and Grace is going to need..."

 

"Their big sister and you'll do fine. The war is over, and you'll have to pick up the pieces, but I know the people I love will do just fine" Faith said. A pillar of light began shining outside. "That's my queue" Faith said softly. She kissed them both. Tell the others that I love them with all my heart, and I'll be thinking of them. I'll be thinking of you all" Faith said as she stepped outside. Faith stepped into the pillar of light and was gone. Faith appeared in Eden and walked to where the anchor point of reality was, dead center of the Garden. "I know how hard that truly was I am sorry Faith" God said behind her. "...I just wish I brought a book" Faith said grinning as tears fell from her eyes. The being smiled and said "you can create anything you need while you're here. If you need me, just ask" he said before disappearing. Faith kicked off her shoes sighing feeling the grass between her toes. She willed a chair and table to appear, and she sat down. Enjoying the comfortable chair and willed a glass of lemonade to appear and then a book; The Tale of Two Cities. She sipped her lemonade and opened the book to page one.  "It was the best of times. It was the worst of times..." she muttered as she began reading.

 

 

An unknown time later...

 

"Hey Rufus! Enjoying that walnut Paco? Keep it real Tigger!" Faith shouted to the various animals in the Garden. She yawned and stretched as another day dawned. After breakfast, she stepped outside of her simple home and sat down. After some time, she had grown bored of reading and willed a Nintendo Wii and Mario Kart to play with. She chuckled turning it on even though no such thing as an electrical grid existed there. "Room for player two?" God asked appearing. Faith handed him a Wii mote. "You've been here for a while now" he said. "Yep. Nearly went stir crazy for a while" she said as she played. "You did quite well. I haven't seen the creatures here this happy since Adam and Eve" he said. "Anything new on Earth?" she asked selecting the stage. "Nothing your family can't deal with...Rainbow Road? Seriously?" he asked. "You're god. I'm sure you can handle Rainbow Road" she snarked. They played their match and Faith won. "And Princess Peach for the win. You didn't just let me win right?" she asked. "Fair and square. Faith, I'm here today to tell you it's done. You're more than welcome to go home" he said. Faith stared at him. "For real" he said. Fair broke into tears and hugged him tightly. "I know. You suffered more than anyone should and you still out others before you my beautiful creation" he whispered in her ear.

 

"I don't even know how long I've been gone. What if they moved on? I know I asked you not to give me any details on them but..." she stammered. "Oh ye of little Faith" he chuckled as he opened a portal. "Goodbye Faith" he said. "Will...will I ever see you again?" she asked. "Who knows. That's the funny thing about free will. Anything is possible" he replied. She waved to him as she stepped through. Faith was blinded by light and when her vision returned, she found herself standing in front of a stadium at nighttime. The marque read..."Cuidad de Mexíco Arena. Alicia McCormick en vivido. 26 de Augusto 2026". "Six years. I've been gone six years and Alicia is singing here?" Faith asked herself as she walked towards the entrance. The parking lot was fully packed, and people crowded outside. "Ticket" the man said as she approached the turnstile. Faith reached into her blouse and used magic to conjure a ticket, yanking it from between her tits. "Ahem. Proceed" he said. Faith walked in and soon found herself in the main arena. "Holy shit" she muttered as it was nearly standing room only. No less than 40,000 had come to hear her sing. Faith looked towards the stage and when she saw her, her knees almost gave out. "Baby" she said as he eyes teared up. Alicia was dressed in a long red dress going to her shins. She was barefoot as to better choreograph her dancing. A band sat behind her. "Here it is folks. The last song of the night. It's a special one for me dedicated to someone I love...and miss very much" she said. Bass guitars began strumming. Drums banging as the song began.

 

"Time has come to listen to their puppet souls. Words are strong, heart has dropped, scatter round and falls. Connect everything...fall out. Yeah, get started break the row. See how it's crazy out. It's beyond full realization. Yeah, get started recreating the world! Take my hands till the end. Feel the raw emotion. Bring it on down rock, rock, rock. Shake it up top, top, top. Cause you know how to shout out your soul!"

 

"I've got a feeling you must let me go. I wanna keep my faith forever. Words are alive, supporting, us, connecting with our souls. You know what? We look up at the sky, count on it. And halos in the clouds light me up, then I awake in the heat, get fired up, you call my name...Yeah! Get started breaking the row. See how it's crazy out. It's beyond full realization. Yeah, get started recreating the world! Take my hands till the end. Feel the raw emotion. Bring it on down rock, rock, rock. Shake it up top, top, top. Cause you know how to shout out your soul!"

 

Faith stared in sheer awe at the energy and emotion in her voice. Even the sizzling guitar solo. carried her energy. But what made the borrower tremble in her sandals was the fact Alicia was not using one ounce of her magics. All of it came from her very soul. "THANK YOU! Thank you so much Mexico City! You were awesome! Goodnight!" Alicia yelled blowing kisses to the roaring crowd as she stepped off the stage. "Fantastic, wasn't she?" a voice said to her side. Faith turned to see none other than Quetzalcoatl in human form. "Is that you Quetzalcoatl?" she asked sensing his true form. "Indeed. My most favorite of my children playing in my hometown? No way I could pass that up" he said. He looked upon her. "We all heard what you did after the battle. It is not common for a god to be humbled by such nobility" he said. "I only did what had to be done for the sake of those I loved" she said. "There is a time for modesty and a time for taking pride in what you do. This is the latter" he said. "How were things?" she asked. "As you can see the world was restored. Kali and Joseph remained dead. We buried the old man back at his home in Georgia. We visit his grave during the anniversary of the battle. As for your family, we took turns watching over them. They have prospered well" he said. "So I see" Faith said softly. "Do not think that way. You heard her song. She misses you in such a way not even I could eat a heart so heavy" the serpent God chuckled. "Go. Go reclaim your life child" he said pushing her towards one of the exits.

 

Faith followed the signs that lead to the dressing room. Eventually she made her way to it. Flocks of fans cried for autographs. "No autographs at this time!" a voice yelled. Faith stepped forward. "Not even for me?" Faith said smiling. "Oh...my...god" Skylar muttered shedding tears. "You look nice" Faith said admiring her magic inlaid Valkyrie uniform. Skylar was too stunned to say a word or move as Faith kissed her cheek. Faith quietly opened the door and then shut it behind her. "Grace. Don't play in mom's makeup" Selah said plucking the 6-year-old tiny girl from the makeup case. "Matty. Watch your sister" Selah said placing the girl on the stand. They had not noticed Faith standing there. Faith's heart sank seeing her two children has grown considerably as well as her adopted daughter who looked every bit 24 years old and a woman now.  She realized how much she had truly missed. "Who's the pretty lady?" Matty asked. An innocent question for a child but a knife to the heart for Faith. He did not know his own mother. Selah turned to look. The bottle of water she was holding fell out of her hands. "MOM!" Selah screamed hugging her. "Selah what's going on? Oh Jesus...you said you would come back one day but...but..." Alicia muttered as her heart broke and she ran to hug her. All three sobbed clutching one another for several minutes. "Why is everyone crying?" Grace asked. Alicia motioned for Faith to come close to them. She picked up both kids and placed them in Faith's hand. The tiny children could feel the giantess trembling. "Matty...Grace...this is your other mommy. The one that gave birth to you two" Alicia said.

 

The children gazed up at the giantess in confusion. Faith's finger went to pet them, but touch was not near enough. Faith raised her hand, cupped it, and sniffed them deeply. "She smells like us. SHE SMELLS LIKE US! MOMMY!" the kids cried. Faith fell to her knees crying as she kept sniffing them. Gentle kisses on their adorable faces until her kisses soaked their faces and hair. "Wet!" Grace yelled giggling. All those lonely days finally felt worth it at that moment. "Faith. Please tell me it's over" Alicia begged. "For now. But as long as good exists, there's always evil. But for right now, I'm retired" Faith replied. "You sure mom?" Selah asked. 

 

 

 

"I'm sure. The gods are in their heavens. All's right with the world" she replied.

 

On a shelf nearby, two powerful beings observed everything. "Couldn't help yourself could you?" Lucifer asked. "I was worried. She is one of my favored creations" God replied. "Careful now. So was I and we saw how that ended up" the devil chuckled. "All have their parts to play son" God said smiling. "As such Lilith's betrayal. You should've seen her face when I broke my chains like they were straw when she popped back into hell" the Devil laughed. "I was curious as to why you let her take your power like that" he said. "She needed to be taught a lesson. She's been bitching and moaning about wanting to conquer the world since the fall of Babylon. No matter how many times I told her you can't force someone to love you, she never listened" he said. "I'm glad at least one of my lessons lasted" God said. "Don't hurt yourself patting your back old man. In the end I'll be proven right. It's inevitable that magical knowledge will be spread across the world to every man, woman, and child. These creatures will let their desires run rampant given the magics to do so. I should know. Desire is my specialty" the devil cackled. "Maybe so son that one day it will be true. But that day is not today" God said grinning. Lucifer huffed and disappeared leaving the creator of this world watching. But as he did, Lucifer had the last word. 

 

"There's always tomorrow father".

 

 

 

The End...for now