- Text Size +
 

Manni knocked on the door of the odd little establishment. It was a small building built out of refuse and scrap wedged between two high-rise office building.

            The woman that resembled Angela came out.

            "Um, we're closed and..." she began. Then, her focus shifted to Sean on her shoulder. "Come in," she continued severely.

            They entered. Inside were items ranging from used televisions to something Sean swore was the Ark of the Covenant."

            "So he is a victim of my sister's I presume," said the woman.

            "Yes," said Manni, "and he said that she said it was time."

            The woman went over to the counter and opened a small drawer within it. She took out an object the size of her hand. It was circular and chalk-white in color. Egyptian hieroglyphics circled the outer edge and in the center was the traditional eye-in-the-pyramid.

            "I presume, then, that you are looking for this," said the woman.

            Manni only nodded in response to the question.

            "It is too precious. I cannot let you take it. However, you may stay within this building. As long as you do so, you are safe. Except for him," the woman indicated Sean, "since he has already been affected by the dagger, the amulet cannot protect him. You see, the ritual my sister Angela will conduct today wil reduce everyone outside her order to about two inches tall. He will be affected. We will not."

            "How do you know it will happen today?" asked Manni.

            "I used to a be a member of that order," said the woman, "back in 1870's England, we had a psychic twin act. Though we are not identical, as you can see."

            "Yes," said Manni, you face is smoother and your eyes are hazel instead of pure green."

            "Anyway," she continued, "the Sisterhood knew it would be valuable to have someone with our talents on their side. For most of my life, I held the position my sister now holds. Yes," she turned to Sean, "I did the same thing my sister did to you. But ten years ago, I became repentant. I stole the amulet to use its protection to hide from my sister. Now you say that this is the time." She put her hand on Danni's shoulder. "That means only we can stop her."

            Danni hung her head in realization.

            A knock came on the door.

            "Stay back!" Angela's sister ordred. She opened the door. "Ah, Lena," she said, "I remember you. You were very promising. A bit too promising."

            "I would've expected Janica," said Manni.

            "Janica is dead," said the tall blonde woman known as Lena, "Angela and I tore her body and half and ate the pieces. Now, Monica, you will hand over the little man and the amulet."

            "No," said Monica (Angela's sister), "I still remember how to fight like a witch." Her hands caught fire, but she was unaffected. "Lets do this."

            Monica threw the fire in her hands at Lena. Lena was unaffected. The fireballs were deflected with green explosions.

            "My sister taught you the shield charm, huh?" said Monica. "Well, I know something that it cannot deflect. You!" she shouted at Manni.

            Manni looked at her.

            "Toss me that gun over there," she continued, indicating a Civil War-era pistol hanging on the wall.

            Manni did so.

            Monica caught it as though a string were connecting it to her hand. She wasted no time in using it to shoot Lena.

            Lena screamed in pain. Then, with a startled expression on her face, she began to shrink until her clothes fell off. She stopped at around three inches.

            "What happened?" asked Sean. Manni relayed the question to Monica.

            "When I left the Sisterhood, I broke off a small piece of the dagger and turned it into bullet using magic," Monica said.

            "If that's so, then why didn't the amulet affect it?" Manni asked.

            "Because the bullet was forged in the presence of the amulet," Monica explained paniently.

            "That doesn't make sense," said Manni. Sean agreed.

            "Look, it's just a story. Don't over think it."

            "Who said that?" asked Manni.

            "I don't know," said Monica looking around.

            Sean didn't either.

            "Anyway, the important thing now is to get information out of her," said Monica, referring to Lena.

            Monica picked up the tiny blonde girl. "Am I correct in the assumption that my sister intends to perform the ritual today?" she asked.

            "I'll never tell," said the tiny blonde woman in her outstretched palm.

            "Very well, let me put it this way," said Monica, "if you do not give us that information, I will swallow you whole, letting my stomach acids and bacteria digest you painfully. However, if you give us the information, I promise to chew. The pain will be more sever but it will be over more quickly."

            "Very well," said Lena, "yes, she is probably performing that ritual even as we speak. It is probably too late anyway."

            Monica nodded. "Thank you. You will now receive the death you were promised." She opened her red lips wide and slid Lena inside. The mouth closed slowly behind her. Monica swished the little woman around before finally biting her left leg off. Then her right arm. Then the head. Then, she masticated the remains into an unidentifiable pulp before swallowing.

            Patting her stomach, Monica said, "We don't have much time. We must act now!" She put the amulet around her and led Sean and Manni out of the shop."

            Something was wrong outside. People were apparently losing control of their cars. Oddly enough, the traffic conditions in and around Boston improved.

            "Those people are losing control of their cars because of the spell," said Monica.

            "We're too late," said Manni under her breath. "It's the end of the world."

            "No," said Monica, "there is a way. Come with me. Quickly."
Chapter End Notes:
Yes, the whole reason the story is set in Boston was to set up that lame bad traffic joke. Though I'm from Michigan, so this could be the pot calling the kettle black, so to speak. But we have bad roads, so at least we have an excuse.