- Text Size +
Chapter 4 - First Flight

On the Island of Istor, life was hardly free, Melady could tell you that. In the tallest branches of a mighty oak tree, A specific song-harpy was nervous as hell. Melady looked almost human, except bird legs and dusty brown wings and tail feathers that matched her hair. Her siblings all looked similar, except for Harmony, who was a futa. It was a very big day for them. They were officially adults and had to leave the nest. The only thing bothering Melady was that none of them had ever flown before, and failure equaled death. But that only seemed to bother her and not her sisters.

"You bitches ready to show gravity what's what!?" Cried Sannata, always the most excitable of the three.

"Honestly, the only thing I'm worried about is finding a mate. I intend to sire some chicks before you two even build a nest!" Harmony laughed. She was always so horny all the time. Melady knew that her sister would not have trouble finding a mate. Unlike most of the other races, harpy's did not shun futas. This is probably why male harpy's so rare that they are considered extinct, but no one really cared about that.

"I wish I had your confidence... I'm pretty sure I'll just plummet like a stone. Hopefully, I won't hit too many branches on the way down." Melady tried to laugh it off, not to spoil the mood, but her sisters could tell she was terrified.

"Hey, none of that. We are going to sore like the majestic bitches we are." Harmony said as she pulled her sister in for a hug.

"Ya, you'll see. The three of us are going to be so good at this, it'll set the bar for every generation after!" Sannata said as she joined in. Melady knew that this is what she would miss most about the nest, her family. Just then, their mother returned. She had a bag with her that she did not leave the nest with.

"What do you have there, mama?"

"Well, our family line has a tradition, when someone sends their chicks off into the cruel world. They send them off with these." She then pulled out three belts with two backs on each side. Sannata was the first to slip hers on, and the backs hugged against her hips perfectly.

"WOW! Thanks, mama!"

"A lifesaver as always."

"Why are these are empty?" Everyone looked at Melady like she had two heads before their mother laughed.

"Don't want to weigh you down too much before your used to flying! Besides, that's another tradition, you leave the nest hungry, so you look for food harder. Now enough goodbyes, off with you." All of them got in line to jump out of the nest. Sannata went first, then Harmony, but when it got to Melady's turn, she froze.

"M-Maybe I need a little more time for my wings to grow in?"

"Your wings are as grown as they are ever going to be, love."

"Maybe, I n-need more practice?"

"You can jump, or I can kick, your choice."

"You w-wouldn't really do tha-" Melady was cut off by her own mother kicking her so hard in the ass that she was launched into the air before plummeting down the tree.

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!"

"keep your wings straight precise!" She could hear her mother yell at her as she fell to her death. Melady rearranged her body so it was facing down, straightened her wings, and gradually tried to tilt up. The crazy part, it worked. She was gliding on the wind, and she could feel the air pushing up under her wings; she was flying.

"Oh, thank fuck, I thought I was going to die!" She said to herself as she sored. She had to flap every once in a while to keep herself up, but aside from that, everything was going fine. She spotted Sannata on the ground digging with her talins. She flew down to see what she was doing.

"Oh, hay Melady! Glad to see you got the hang of it."

"Thanks. What are you doing?"

"Digging for wormen. I can see the dirt moving a little bit, see?" She looked to where Sannata was pointing, and sure enough, the ground was moving just a bit. She joined her in digging, and they found three wormen. They looked like regular pink worms, except that they had the top halves of women, made out of the same stuff as the worm half.

"Aw, sweet! Must be our lucky day, huh sis?" The moment Sannata bent over to slurp one of the tasty morsels up, something lunged out of the grass and tackled her. It was a male naga, his coils wrapped around Sannata, the sounds of her bones snapping as she was crushed filled the air. Melady was petrified with fear, one moment they were talking, and the next, she saw her sister getting killed before her eyes.

"Fl... Fl... Fly Mela..." Sannata coughed out with what seemed like buckets of blood as her own splintered bones shredded her insides. Only when she stopped struggling and when he moved his mouth down to start eating her. Melady jumped up off the ground and flew away as fast as possible.

"Oh god! Sannata! Why did it have to be Sannata!?" She cried, but then a shadow moved over here. She moved out of the way just in time to avoid being grabbed up in the talins of a hawk-harpy.

"Oh, a slippery one, I see. Do slow down, little one. I would rather not exhaust too much energy on such a small meal." Melady did the exact opposite of what the larger harpy asked. She flew as fast as she could, trying to remember what her mother said to do in situations like the one she was in now. She then remembered and moved into the thick branches. She was avoiding the sharp talons of her would-be murderer with ease.

"Fuck, you're not worth the trouble, little one. It looks like your someone else's meal." The hawk-harpy said before flying off, giving Melady a moment to cry for her sister.

"Sannata... You didn't deserve to go out like that..." Melady would have spent the rest of her life crying in that tree, but then her stomach started grumbling. Sannata would not want her to starve herself morning, so she flapped off of the branch and looked for something to eat. After a minute or two of flying, she smelled the fresh scent of death. Investigating it, she found something odd. In a clearing between a peach grove and a barrier patch, dead myrmidon were all over the place, and so were scavengers eating the dead. She landed on a spot that no one else was picking over, hoping that it was empty because they had not gotten to it yet, and not because predators were waiting there. When she got to the ground, she could see that a battle of some kind took place there. All of the myrmidons had weapons and armor, and she had to take the metal off before she could start eating them. She noticed another song-harpy with a backpack on was watching her. She was a little shorter than she was, and a futa.

"You don't have to keep your distance. There is plenty to go around." The smaller harpy hopped over in a shy and frankly quite cute way.

"Oh, I'm not here for the food. I'm here for the metal. Myrmidon alloy is actually pretty strong and sells for a fair price at the town I nest in."

"Ho, really? Maybe I should start collecting myself then."

"As you said, cutie, there's plenty to go around." Melady blushed hard. She spent her entire life in the nest, and her mother never told her how to react to a pretty harpy flirting with her.

"Th-Thanks... What's um... What's your name?"

"My name is Magie, is your name as pretty as you are?"

"Oh, stop you shameless flirt! It's Melady; nice to meet you, Magie." The two of them then spent the next half hour giving one another awkward glances as they gathered up bits of metal from the dead. Melady could have sworn that Magie was checking out her ass more than once, and surprisingly, she did not mind that idea too much.

"Yelp, if I gather up any more, I won't be able to fly. Nice meeting you, Melady."

"Wait. Before you go... I feel awful for asking this... But is it ok if I spend the night in your nest?"

"Wa-Wh-What!?" Magie asked, a bright blush formed on her face. And soon, one developed on Melady's as well.

"No, no! Not like that! It's just... I saw my sister die today. And I don't want to be alone. And you seem ok, so I thought... You know what, never mind sorry I aske-"

"Yes. Yes, you can stay in my nest tonight. I apologize in advance for how messy it's going to be when you get there. But your welcome in it." Melady practically picked Magie up un the hug she gave her. Just as suddenly letting her go, blushing redder than the myrmidon she just ate.

"Th-Thank you!" Both of them blushed hard for a solid minute before they took off. She did not know what tomorrow would bring her, but Melady knew she would see a tomorrow, and on Istor, that was as good as it gets for most.