- Text Size +
Story Notes:

I know in Greek Mythology that Perseus was the grandfather of Hercules, but in this story, they are contemporaries. 

Author's Chapter Notes:

These chapters tend to be slow moving. Sorry

Author's note: I know in Greek Mythology, Perseus is Hercules' grandfather. But, in this story, I have made them contemporaries, both being sons of Zeus. I have made other changes as well, most notably Dionysus being Hera's son. I hope you enjoy.

 

 

Hera followed Zeus into the bedroom on Mt Olympus. There had been a discussion that she thought needed to be settled.

 

"How could you consider not including Ares and Dionysus in your council?" Hera demanded. Zeus tried to remain calm, but was quickly losing his patience. "Because Ares thinks of nothing but war, and Dionysus has no discipline. To join my coucil, I need to have clear thinking advisors. That's why I chose Apollo and Athena. Great challenges await us. I need council members that I can trust", he replied firmly.

 

"But you are considering two of your bastard children, not even true Gods to serve on the council, at the expense of your own sons! How dare you!" Hera was telling, and could feel her rage building. Zeus coldly looked at his wife, and stated emphatically, "My decision is final. This conversation is over. Anymore argument and I will take action, and you wouldn't like what I decide."

 

Hera remained quiet, but her anger was at such a boiling point that she needed to sit, as she felt herself losing her balance. Once seated, she calmed down enough to think about the situation, and to come up with an idea. 

 

She called for a messenger, and quickly joted a note, and sent the courier on her way, with instructions to wait for a reply and return in haste. The messenger left, and returned the next day, handing Hera the reply.

 

Hera then summoned two other messengers, gave them envelopes, and sent them on their way. One was to head West and seek out Hercules, and the other was to head South and seek out Perseus. Both messages read the same. Each was to go to the Parthenon and wait for Athena to send them on a mission. Hera felt no shame or guilt in using this ruse. But it needed to be done.

 

Both couriers reached their intended recipients, and once each read the message, left at once to head to Athens. Perseus arrived first, followed by Hercules. They warily eyed each other, and Perseus introduced himself. This put Hercules at ease. Hercules stated who he was, and a broad smile formed on Perseus' face.

 

"I have heard of you, Hercules. Your triumph during the 12 Labors is legendary. I have always admired you, and your exploits". "And I have heard of you, Perseus. You not only killed Medusa, but the Kraken. You have a special kind of bravery and courage."

 

Once the introductions were out of the way, they discussed what this potential mission would entail. They knew that they had to wait for Athena to instruct them, so they sat down on the stone steps leading up to a temple.

 

It was then that lightning surrounded them both, and with such ferocity that they couldn't see what was happening. Then as quickly as it began, it was over. But when it finished, Hercules and Perseus realized that they were no longer at the Parthenon. In fact, neither recognized the land. The sun, which was directly above them when they talking about the mission was now positioned lower in the sky, like it was earlier in the day. And without any landmarks, they had no idea where any city was located.

 

But they decided on a direction, and then started off on their journey. One thing that was strange was after traveling for a couple of hours, the sun hadn't moved in the sky. They thought this strange. The sun always moved. Warriors and travellers alike knew what the time was or which direction they were heading by the position it was in the sky.

 

But they kept moving. However, after what seemed like seven or eight hours of travel, they stopped and rested. The sun slowly moved higher in the sky, nearing where it should be if it was midday. 

 

There was a stray goat nearing where they were located. Hercules killed the goat, and Perseus cut it up after starting a fire. The goat was cooked, and both ate heartily.

They also discussed their situation. They were in an unfamiliar land, with the sun in unfamiliar positions in the sky. They had no idea what the actual time was, but they knew that the day was only half done, whereas in Athens it would be night. This they believed to be true, due to the amount of walking they had done. But the meal was over, and the journey continued.