- Text Size +

Hera had finally achieved her dream. She was the ultimate Goddess of Mt Olympus. All other gods were to bow before her, like they did with Zeus. And because she was the unquestioned ruler, she became a very generous and benevolent deity.


There was prosperity and peace all throughout the land. Disease and sickness faded away. Greece had become the capital of the whole world. Everyone was filled with joy.


Except one person, the God of the Underworld, Hades, who had come to suspect that his sister was behind the disappearance of Zeus, Hercules, and Perseus. 


Ever since Hera had assumed the role of supreme ruler of Olympus, Hades had tried on several occasions to gain an audience with his sister, only to be rebuffed every time. He grew frustrated. His little sister was treating him no better than a common servant. It caused him to deploy several spies to keep tabs on her.


Hera knew about the spies. People and fellow members of the Court of Olympus that were loyal to her had informed her of Hades’ actions. This caused her to smile at futile attempts. She knew he would resort to desperate measures to find out the truth, but she was not worried. 


At some point, with the God of the Underworld finally at wits end, he sent out his underlings to infiltrate Olympus in the dark of night, and bring Hera to him. 


Within minutes, the underlings returned, and with a very annoyed Hera. She looked at her brother, first with a burning hatred, then cold as ice stated, followed by a calm, passive face. The progression of her reactions puzzled Hades. He knew his sister, and knew exactly what she was capable of when angry. But he also knew that she had no power, or at least anything comparable to Zeus, Poseidon, or himself. 


After what seemed like an eternity of silence, Hera asked her brother why he felt the need to kidnap her from Olympus. Hades responded by telling her that he had made many attempts to gain an audience with her, only to be denied. 


Hera looked at him and gave him a smile, saying that she was too busy ruling Olympus, the world, and making sure that all the people in it were taken care of. She simply didn't have time. 


Hades wasn't buying her excuses. He pointed out that Zeus never had that problem. In fact, he was always willing to grant an audience with his family. Hera’s eyes filled with anger, as she blurted out that Zeus was no longer around, was he?


That provided Hades with the opening he needed to change the subject. He responded that ‘speaking of Zeus, where was he?’ Hera tried to play dumb, and said she didn't know. Hades asked her about Hercules and Perseus, and again she replied that she didn't know.


Hades told her that she didn't seem too heartbroken about their brother’s disappearance. Hera looked at him, and replied that maybe Zeus had had enough of the world, and wanted a new life. A smile formed in her eyes, which served as a catalyst for Hades’ rising anger.


Hades told her that he suspected that she was behind everything. Too many pieces had fallen perfectly into place for her in her ascension to the throne. It was the only explanation possible.


Hera looked at Hades, remaining silent. He told his sister that he was giving her three days to undo whatever it was she had done, or there would be consequences. She looked at her brother and smiled.


She mocked him, acting all fearful about ‘his consequences’. She told him that he was in no position to make any such threats, and if he was smart, he would ask her for forgiveness, and then bow down in front of her, and pledge his undying loyalty.


This sent Hades over the edge. He cursed his sister, then summoned the armies of the undead, determined to wrest control of Mt Olympus, the Gods, Earth, and everything else from her.


She just calmly looked at him, and gave Hades one final opportunity to bow down before her. But the God of the Underworld was in no mood for further discussion. 


His army moved in on Hera, who watched everything unfold with an amused look on her face. This upset Hades even more, and as his army drew closer, she calmly raised her hand, engulfing her and her brother in a mysterious silver cloud.


Hades was blinded by the brightest sun that he had ever encountered, to the point of pain. It took him a good 10 minutes for his eyes to adjust. And once they did, found himself near a garden, and in a land that he did not recognize. 


He started to back away from the area, until he hit something solid, and unforgiving. He turned around and looked directly into the thigh of a being standing there.


He looked up, and up, and up some more, only to see Hera’s familiar face looking down on him, with a look that told him that he was in serious trouble. Hades demanded to know what happened, how did he get there, what had she done, and how to get back. 


Hera just continued to smile. Then she got on her knees, and explained everything to him. Hades was taken aback by the fact that even on her knees, she was still a couple of feet taller than him. But, that didn't stop his anger rising.


Hera mockingly told her brother that he was home. Hades yelled back that the underworld was his domain. She reaffirmed that it WAS his home, but not anymore. 


She explained that while he and Zeus were overthrowing their parents, she was creating many worlds, none of which were known about, as they fell in between what was known as the dark zone. 


She explained to Hades that she created all life on this world, all women in her image, and the sizes of males and females were exactly the same as what the two of them were at present.


Hades looked at himself, and then up at Hera, and suddenly became panicked. She also informed him that his powers were gone on this world. He heard her words, and immediately summoned the armies of the Underworld, but nothing happened. 


But what really sank his heart was when Hera informed him that the only way to get back to his world was if she wanted him there. Otherwise, he was now a member of this planet. And that women were in charge, and men obeyed. And as if to reinforce the point, she firmly smacked his behind, causing him to cry out in pain.


She also told him that he wouldn't be alone, as Zeus and his sons were also there. Hades was about to say something when he heard the voice of a little girl say, ‘Mommy, there's a man, just like the Appolonia has, and he is in our garden!’ Hades could see the girl coming closer, and also saw that she couldn't have been any older than 5-6 years old, and was much larger than he was. He started to turn and run, but was stopped by the girl, as Hera vanished.