- Text Size +

542 years ago

King Valgar IV, king of Vandan, stormed through the halls of his castle, pushing aside guards. “Sir, please, reconsider-” stammered a man following behind him, dressed in dark blue robes and sporting a long, gray beard.

“Enough!” The king turned on his heel, pointing a finger right into the face of the elderly man. “You will do what I have requested of you, and if you continue to deny me this you too shall face the same fate as Valerie.” 

“Your daughter sir-”

“She is no daughter of mine.” The king turned again, brushing past another man who was smiling. He was slightly taller than the king, muscular, and had dark hair. He wore clothes befitting of a prince, dark purple and black mixed with a golden belt. 

“Father, when do I get to keep Valerie for myself?”

“Very soon, my boy,” Valgar said as he glanced back at his son. The king himself was tall as well, though slightly shorter than his son. He had dark hair as well and had a beard to match. He wore dark purple and black as well, but he had a dark cape as well. He traversed the halls of the castle, passing by yet again another person, this time a woman. 

“Are you sure about this Valgar?” she asked as she joined the king.

“Alara, you know what must be done. She has broken every rule we giants have, and she has brought shame upon our family. We will be lucky to be rid of her.”

“Maybe she can be with me Valgar, you know her brother will torture her to no end.”

“I know. My wife, I know you too well. You would pity her and have her returned to her normal height. This is the only way.” The couple finally reached the door to Valerie’s room, two guards standing in the doorway. They each stepped aside to let Valgar enter, and he did so, spotting Valerie on her bed, her eyes red. She didn’t care to look in his direction, but that didn’t bother him. “I will make this quick Valerie. You have been sentenced to being shrunk to human size and you will be kept in the care of your brother for the rest of your life. Whatever fate lies with you there is up to him.” She looked past him, and Valgar noticed his son was now watching from the doorway with Alara.

“Just get it over with,” she said, her voice cracking. 

“You have no defense for yourself?”

“It won’t matter. You’ve made up your mind.”

“Valerie, you aren’t taking this seriously. You were helping a human prisoner! You not only broke him out of his cell, you also showed him kindness! How can you call yourself a giantess?!” Valerie looked like she was going to fire back, but instead she remained silent. The king waited for a moment, then sighed. “So be it. The warlock will do his work, and then it is off to your brother.” He exited without another word, and the rest of the family followed him. 

Now alone, Valerie began to cry again. All she had done was show pity to a human. All he had done was wandered into Vandanian lands, and his punishment was torture in their dungeons. There was no mercy in it. The things they were doing were horrid, and she couldn’t stand by and watch. While she had been taught her entire life that humans were lesser beings than Vandanians, she couldn’t help but resist it. She cared too much for them and couldn’t see them as anything other than equals. So what they were smaller, they were just as important as everyone else. Yet Valerie knew she was alone in this way of thinking. She had never met another giant or giantess who cared at all for humankind.

The warlock entered after a moment, keeping his eyes away from her, looking at the ground instead. Valerie could tell he hated having to do this. The warlock had taught her much over her time at home, and he had been something like a second father to her. He didn’t share her care for humans, but he wasn’t cruel like her father could be. “Is it time then?” she asked. 

“Yes, princess. I’m afraid so.” With speed that defied his age, he spun around and lifted his arms, a bolt of blue light shooting from his hands as the guards went unconscious instantly and the door slammed shut. Valerie’s eyes went wide as she watched the warlock come closer, his hands shaking. “My life will be taken for this, but it is worth it. Lay out for me.” Valerie followed his commands, unsure what his plan was. “Alright, I-”

“Open this door now!” King Valgar said as he pounded his fist against the wood. The warlock began to shake harder, but he kept to his task.

“Listen closely. I will shrink you, but you will be in a deep sleep. You will only wake with true love’s kiss. During this sleep you will not age, you cannot be killed, touched, and you will have no need for food or drink. I have been preparing this since I was given this order. It is the best I can do for you Valerie…”

“It’s more than enough. I’m sorry…”

“No. This is my choice. Good night Valerie. I hope you will find your love soon.” He waved his hands, and before she even noticed anything she was out cold.

*

Present Day

Valerie woke, sitting up quickly and accidentally sending Alban tumbling into her lap. She could feel sweat on her clothes, and she wiped her forehead. Why had she dreamed about that day? She hadn’t seen it play out so vividly before. And had she seen her father’s perspective at some point? It was all too much to think about, and soon she noticed her tiny husband struggling to climb back up. “I’m sorry Alban, I just had a bad dream is all.”

“All fine! What was it about?” Valerie took him in her hand and let him sit down as she raised him to her face.

“Well, it’s a bit odd. It was like no other dream before. It was incredibly vivid...and I remember every little detail. It was about my last night with my family. When I was shrunk and put to sleep.”

“Ah, you’ve told me that story many times before. Perhaps it was just a memory that surfaces because of our task?”

“Maybe...but I saw through my father’s eyes...or more like a third-person perspective. Like in a dream.”

“Well, that’s odd. Nothing to ponder on though, it’s time we moved on.” Valerie nodded in agreement as she pulled out an apple for breakfast. Alban took a bite, leaving the rest of the giant piece of food for his wife. Valerie finished it off while the king traveled down her arm and then onto her dress, sliding down the silken material before landing on her lap and jumping to the ground below. The morning sun glistened off the dew gracefully lying on the grass. It almost looked like the ground was made of crystals as it shone with the light refracting off it. Alban smiled at the scene as he sought out a more secluded area to do his business. 

Valerie wiped some of the dew off of her shoes before she stood and stretched. “Want a ride?” she joked.

“Well, probably better than walking. Though I could use the exercise,” he said, coming out from behind a tree. Just as Valerie bent over to provide her husband with a lift, an arrow struck her in the thumb. A shout was heard near her shoulder just as a man leapt off a tall tree and onto her, slicing at her ear. 

“Ow!” She felt blood trickle out of the small wound made, and she felt the man stumble as she jerked her head in his direction. The small man fell, then righted himself and clung to the tree, breaking his fall. A troop of a dozen soldiers, all wearing similar outfits that consisted of masks, hoods, and black tunics, swarmed her feet as they gave a cry.

“HALT!” Alban stood in front of the men, and it caused them to pause their attack. One of Valerie’s assailants removed his hood, pulled down his mask, and smiled. He had gray hair, and a smooth face, though he had a scar running across his cheek. He was taller than Alban, but he was quite thin, leaving any physical advantage out. 

“Prince Alban! What a pleasure!” The man held his arms out from his sides, approaching Alban slowly. 

“That’s King Alban. Who are you and why are you attacking us?”

“Oh we did not mean you any harm, your highness. We only meant to drive off this beast,” he said as he gestured up at Valerie. 

“That is Queen Valerie, and you will show her respect.”

“Respect? For a giantess? My, you are sick.” Alban drew his sword just as the stranger did. 

“Tell me again, who are you?”

“Only a man loyal to the throne of Elgon!” 

“Then you are not our enemy!” The man laughed as he lunged at Alban with his sword. Before either could reach the other, they were both scooped up by two giant hands and raised to Valerie’s face. 

“Excuse me gentlemen, but let’s not kill each other just yet!” Valerie gave Alban a disapproving glare, and he looked away, sighing as he rested against her fingers. The stranger had dropped his sword, but he was still trying his best to harm Valerie as he pounded his fists against her thumb. It did nothing, of course, and the giantess sighed. “Really, we are not here to harm you, sir. We are passing through these lands and we are peaceful. Now please be kind and answer my husband as to who you are.”

“I owe you two nothing!”

“Claymore!” All three turned their attention to a man on horseback who approached the crowd. The man was dressed in fine clothing and wore a cape around his neck. He carried himself high as he approached the feet of the giantess before him, and he craned his neck up to see her. “I apologize for my captain’s harsh demeanor! We do not wish to be at war with Vandan!” Valerie squatted, putting Claymore down while she set Alban on her shoulder. The dejected captain rushed away and joined his men once more before the regal figure continued. “I am King Ferran. I rule over these lands outside the woods, our kingdom is just an hour away. Captain Claymore and his men were supposed to go out hunting, but it turns out he found something else instead. If you wish, you can join us and we can discuss matters further without trying to kill each other.” With a nod, Ferran turned around and commanded his men to head for home. Valerie looked to Alban and he shrugged.

“Not like we have anything to lose. Besides...that Claymore acted like you were some monster. And he admitted allegiance to Elgon. Something is going on here and I wish to know what it is.”

“As do I.” Valerie rose to her full height again and traversed the trees until she came to an open plain, a few trees dotting the horizon. The field was lush with other plant life, and a river ran through it from where she could see. Across the fields she could see a small town, at least to her, and she noticed the king riding in that direction. “Well, let’s see how long it takes him to catch up to me!” she said, giggling. While it was an hour’s ride on horseback, even a leisurely stroll for Valerie would make the trip half as long. Her footsteps shook the ground as she proceeded, and as she passed the king she noticed him chuckle, the horse losing its footing slightly as she stomped past. 

Before long, she had come to the outskirts of the town. It was about as big as the villages outside the castle in Vandan, though the buildings here looked more like the architecture of Elgon. There was a wall surrounding the town, and streets about as wide as her feet were, all leading to a large building in the center of town. It wasn’t exactly a castle, more like a large hall that wouldn’t have been taller than her waist. The king finally caught up as she stood there and he beckoned her to follow them through. She could tell people were afraid as they ducked into their houses and cleared the streets in a hurry. 

Little by little she made her way through the town, taking one step at a time. Her feet barely fit in between the houses, and more than once she felt the side of her foot knock off part of a roof or crush some crate that had been left out. Thankfully no one was hurt, but she was going to ensure these people were paid for the damage she accidentally wrought. Now and then she caught Claymore glaring at her, but when she stared back he looked away. 

They finally reached the main hall and Valerie let Alban down so he could enter. 

“Are you going to be all right out here?” he asked. 

“Of course. Go see what’s going on here, I’ll just take a seat.” Alban smiled as he left her to join the king. Meanwhile, Valerie looked around, spotted an area of grass, and sat down. 

“Good luck in there, dear.”


*

King Ferran led Alban through the double door entryway of the king’s hall, the guards stationed on either side saluting him. The room they entered was a mix of a dining hall and throne room, with tables being on both the right and left when you entered and a throne on the far wall. To the right and left were hallways that Alban couldn’t tell the destinations of. Ferran led Alban down the right corridor which brought them to a room with a circular table which held maps and various scraps of parchment. Ferran took a seat on one end and Alban at the other. 

“So, I’m sure you have many questions.”

“Indeed, most of them involve your identity.”

“Naturally. In due time my dear friend, in due time.”

“You speak like you know me, yet I don’t know you.”

“I wouldn’t imagine you would. I merely knew you through your uncle. I was a lad like you when you went off to wed Valerie. I wasn’t entirely convinced of her benificince, but I wasn’t an admirer of your father; seeing the opportunity, I took what I had and abandoned my position as a soldier to find solitude here.”

“And what is here?”

“Originally it was merely a small village that built itself up from the ground years ago, but when your grandfather discovered them he had this hall built and instituted some form of government. It didn’t last long though since your father wasn’t interested in this land once the bandits began to rule over the forests between here and Elgon. So, we call ourselves Liston, or in the common tongue “bandit watch”.”

“How did you become king?”

“Well since Elgon gave up on governing this place there was practically no leadership to speak of. I’ve saved what I could and kept people alive. But times are tough.”

“How so?”

“You don’t know?”

“Let’s say I don’t.”

“Well for starters there are the occasional giant beasts who exit the Vandanian forest, the ogres from the hills to the south, and of course Kassel.”

“Kassel? Wasn’t he one of Bargar’s lieutenants years ago?”

“Exactly. After Valerie raided his fortress and scattered his men Kassel took a strong majority with him to this region. Ever since he has been pillaging and plundering while his base is at the foot of the northern mountains.”

“Which is our destination…” Alban surmised.

“Doesn’t bode well for you. Though I suppose your wife could make quick work of them. Provided she isn’t fighting any other towns that aren’t used to kind giants.”

“Alright, two questions. One, why would she be fighting other towns, and two, why are people afraid of giants here?” Ferran leaned back in his chair and put his hands behind his head. 

“I can answer both with one question. Why are you interested in those mountains?” Alban smiled.

“I assume the rumors are true then.”

“Yes, there is a giant there. At least from what I’ve heard. We’ve lost men to him, wherever he is. Doesn’t exit that area so he doesn’t bother us much, but his reputation is not kind. With him around it isn’t hard to see why people here don’t like Valerie.”

“I suppose. Doesn’t word travel out here?”

“Why would it? We don’t offer anything valuable in the world of trading.” Alban nodded understandingly. “Now, here’s my offer. I can send messengers to the surrounding towns so they know Valerie is an ally. You two can have safe passage all the way to the mountain, as long as you deal with Kassel.”

“That’s all? She could deal with these towns and Kassel herself.”

“Yes, well, something tells me she isn’t the fighting type.” Alban smirked. 

“Good judge of character.” The two men sat in silence while Alban thought over the deal until he finally nodded.

 

“Deal.”