- Text Size +

During Alban’s time inside the king’s hall, Valerie sat with her legs to her side, watching the few people who crept near her location to get a glimpse of her. She shouldn’t have felt hurt, seeing as she had dealt with this behavior for years now, but something about the reaction she got here stung more. Perhaps it was the fact that the people didn’t even know her and seemed to be afraid of giants in general. The only fear she got once Rismark had become a fully-fledged town was the kind any human would have when they stood before a giantess. No, the fear in the people here was different, and she wanted to know why. 

It was then that she felt something brush against her ankle, and she glanced down to see a boy, not much older than ten, climbing onto her. 

“Why hello there,” she said, smiling. The boy was startled by the attention he suddenly got, and this led to him losing his balance. He fell from his perch, but Valerie’s quick wits had her palm under him in no time. This wasn’t the first time she’d had to catch a human, let alone a young boy. She brought her hand closer to her face to get a better look at him; he was a child for sure, and his hair was curly and unkempt. Still, he wore clothes fitting for the higher class, which was odd when compared to how he kept himself. “What’s your name little one?”

“Luke, ma’am.” His voice was calm and clear, but she could feel his body trembling against her skin, and her heart warmed to him. 

“I’m Valerie. You don’t need to be afraid.” She brought her other hand closer to him and ruffled his hair with her fingertip. “Why were you on my ankle?”

“I was curious ma’am. I’ve never seen a giant up close before.”

“But you have seen one?” Her interest in the boy’s claim seemed to calm him, as did her gentle pats with her fingertip. 

“Yes! Near the mountains!” He was excited now, and he tried to stand but fell due to his unsure footing on her palm. Valerie giggled at his first attempt to walk on a giant, but his claim of seeing a giant piqued her interest. 

“So you really saw one? What did he do?”

“He took people! See, I snuck along with some scouts my father sent, though he didn’t want me to, and I hid behind some rocks when I heard rumbling. The scouts went ahead, but he showed up, all big and mean! He grabbed the scouts and walked off, just like that!”

“Did the men ever get released?”

“No, I bet he ate them!”

“Well, I doubt that. Giants weren’t known to eat humans. Not that I can recall at least. What did he look like?”

“He was big, with a burly chest and a messy black beard! I bet his eyes were red too!” Valerie giggled, and smiled once more at the boy. 

“Well, maybe they were. But listen here, King Alban and I are going to investigate this giant, and I want you to stay put, okay?” 

“I-”

“Luke!” King Ferran and Alban had just exited the hall, and Ferran looked angry as he approached Valerie. “I’m terribly sorry Queen Valerie, my son has a knack for pestering others.”

“I wasn’t pestering!”

“He’s fine, really. He reminds me of my son, curious and ready for adventure!”

“Sounds like me,” Alban said, smiling. 

“Well I’m glad he wasn’t a bother.” He then turned his attention back to Luke. “Now I want you in your room and with your tutor, it sounds like you left lessons to bother the queen!”

“Father!”

“Now, Luke!” Valerie smiled at the boy, who looked extremely reluctant to leave her.

“Lessons are good for a growing boy. Go, learn, I may visit you again.” Luke nodded as she set her hand on the ground, and once he was off Alban and Ferran climbed on. She lifted her hand once more to get the report of their meeting. “Well, what’s the situation?” 

“I discussed the troubles we have in these lands with your husband. We promise safe passage from here on out if you help us. I’ve sent scouts ahead of time to let other towns know of our deal, and you will only find opposition with Kassel and the bandits he leads.”

“Kassel? Bargar’s lieutenant?”

“The very same,” Ferran nodded. 

“What’s he up to?”

“Wicked things of course. He takes after his former commander.” Valerie nodded, remembering her first encounter with Bargar. He hadn’t been much to deal with, but he certainly posed a threat to the humans she wanted to protect. He had nearly killed Alban after all. Kassel was most likely fueled by that loss, eager to avoid the mistakes his boss made. 

“He can’t be too difficult for me to fight.”

“Then you haven’t met Kassel,” said Claymore as he approached Valerie. “I may dislike you, but I won’t let anyone go near that weasel without a warning.”

“Claymore. What’s the meaning of this?”

“My king, apologies. I’ve fought Kassel before though, and you have not. He’s more cunning than he looks.”

“I’ve dealt with worse, captain,” said Valerie. 

“I don’t doubt it. But Kassel doesn’t find pride in his strength, he finds pride in his tactical brilliance. There’s a reason he is feared. You need some help with this.” Valerie looked at Alban and Ferran. Alban shrugged and Ferran simply nodded.

“Alright captain, let’s talk.”

*

A hundred miles away, two men, both tied up and bleeding, were thrown at the feet of a makeshift throne which Kassel sat on. The man had grown older and more cruel since his time under Bargar, and he now had the appearance of one to be feared; he wore a coat of black fur and had his black hair cut short. His eyes were dark, and he had a scar on his cheek, one he wore with pride after surviving the attack on Bargar’s fortress by the giantess. When he spoke, his voice was low and gravelly, and it demanded attention. 

“Who are these men?”

“They’re messengers from Liston. King Ferran is trying to speak to the other towns.”

“The fool. Let’s send their heads back in bags to remind him of who rules these lands.”

“Sir, you’ll want to hear what they have to say.” Kassel growled, but then nodded. One of the guards kicked the messenger who looked to be younger, maybe in his early twenties, and his voice shook when he spoke.

“W-we were sending a message to the other towns.”

“What of? Speak boy!”

“Of a visitor! Someone they must not attack. Some giantess!” Kassel felt his heart leap in his chest. This was it. The chance to prove himself the more worthy bandit lord. Killing her and having her head on his wall would not only make him the unquestioned ruler of this region, but he just might find himself to be the emperor of all bandit clans. 

“She has come then. Gentlemen! Prepare our defenses! We have a giantess to slay!” Kassel laughed heartily and turned back to his throne. Just as he heard a slight sigh escape the mouth of the young messenger, he drew the sword from his side and swung in an arc behind him, slicing both heads off completely. “Yes. Come here, you whore! Come and face Kassel, the true bandit lord!”

*

After a few hours evening began to fall, and a plan was formed. Valerie would approach from head on, drawing out Kassel’s forces while Alban and Claymore, along with half a dozen men, would storm his fortress and raze it. Before anyone would know any better they’d be surrounded. They’d have to set out early the next morning, hoping to keep in the cover of dark to make their plan work. 

As the evening sun set, Valerie laid herself just outside the city walls with Alban tucked neatly near her chest. Without prying eyes, the two enjoyed some alone time together before their short battle the next day. Alban lay there, his ear pressed against her chest as he listened to the rhythmic beating of her heart. 

“It’s so calming to hear that you know.”

“What?” she said, bending her head up slightly, though she still couldn’t quite see him.

“Your heart. It’s soothing.” Valerie smiled as she put her hand near him. She took a single finger and pressed it lightly against his chest. Sure enough, she could feel the tiny beating, just barely. Alban took a hold of her fingertip while it rested there and kissed it, which made her smile even more. 

“You’re the sweetest man I’ve ever known, Alban.”

“It’s easy when you know the sweetest woman in the world.” Valerie decided to gently pick him up and brought him up to her mouth, his body enclosed safely in her grasp. She kissed him, her lips fully engulfing his head, but he enjoyed every bit of it. He kissed her back, his contribution being a mere peck on her giant lips. 

“Sleep tight my love,” she said, carefully setting him back on her neck, her hair pulled up to be a blanket for him. The two fell asleep like that, just outside the city. 

*

“We could kill her now.”

“No, Kassel wants her to himself. Something personal.” The two scouts hid in the forest, and behind them was a detachment of soldiers, all sent to wait upon Kassel’s signal. 

“Why not go now? We can slice her neck and be rid of her!”

“The commander has a plan, and when he has a plan he’s usually good on executing them. Do you really want to question him?” The other scout frowned. 

“Well when you put it that way…”

“Besides, she might not even die that way. Lucky for us, she’ll be off at the fortress while we plunder the city free of harm. We capture the king and force the giantess to surrender if Kassel doesn’t have his way with her.” 

“Oh, right! That does make more sense. I don’t fancy fighting a giantess.”

“Neither do I. So, we just wait.”

“We wait,” he said, nodding. 

*

Valerie, Alban, Claymore, and a dozen men left early that morning, just before sunrise, to have the cover of darkness for the soldiers while Valerie distracted Kassel. Just as the sun peeked over the horizon, Alban, Claymore, and their soldiers departed from her to take an alternate route to ambush the unsuspecting bandit lord. Valerie had kissed Alban before he left, making sure he promised to stay safe. They hadn’t fought apart from each other in a long time, and Valerie worried desperately for him. Losing Alban would be like losing her own life. She wouldn’t be able to go on without him. She held her head high though as she approached Kassel’s fortress, some men shouting as they saw and felt her approach. 

Kassel’s fortress consisted of a high wall surrounding a courtyard and a large building that Valerie had heard went underground. Perhaps some of the labyrinth of tunnels was under her now; Claymore said it used to be a mining operation before Kassel took it over. He had converted the underground chasms into a tortuous prison and a storehouse for his stolen goods. She would have loved to tear it all to pieces, but she had other goals in mind. 

“Halt, giantess! Or we will stick you like the beast you are!” The toy-sized soldier shouted from a turret on one corner of the wall, his bow trained on her...waist perhaps? Thigh? She wasn’t sure how high the man could shoot, but his attempt to intimidate her was rather amusing. 

“I request an audience with Kassel!” Her voice alone shook the man to his core, and he stumbled a bit before replying. 

“You shall make no request of the rightful emperor of these lands!”

“Emperor? He doesn’t seem like much of an emperor to me.” 

“Enough! Do not take our leader’s name in vain!” Valerie sighed; if he wouldn’t come out, she’d force him out. She took a step and bent to look the man closer in the eye. Though he was still aiming his bow, he could barely keep a grip hard enough to shoot it, and the arrow ended up clattering to the ground. She brought her hand to the tower and carefully plucked the soldier out, holding him upside down by his legs. “No, no, don’t eat me! Please!” 

“I won’t if Kassel comes out!” Just then the doors to the courtyard flew open and a small detachment of soldiers rode out on horseback, every couple of men holding a long, thick rope. Thick to them at least, to Valerie it looked about as effective as the yarn she had at home. The riders circled about her feet, two riders each going in opposite directions, hoping to tie her up at the ankles. She laughed, then took a step back, snapping the rope effortlessly and sending the riders into a chaotic scramble to avoid her 22-foot long feet. The chaos was only cut short as a man who Valerie assumed to be Kassel stepped out of the safety of his walls. “Kassel?”

“Retreat men! Leave her to me!”

*

While the soldiers had been attacking Valerie, Claymore and Alban had vaulted the walls on the opposite side of the battle, the soldiers staying behind to wait for the two to set the place ablaze. Alban went on ahead and peeked around a corner before he motioned for Claymore to follow him. They tried a door not far from where they entered, and to their surprise it creaked open. The two quietly entered, swords drawn, and walked back-to-back through the dark halls. “So, you really dislike giants?” Alban whispered.

“Is now a good time?”

“Better now than never.”

“Well no, I don’t like giants. For good reason.”

“What’s Valerie ever done to you?” The two stopped as they heard two pairs of feet rush through the halls and then towards the exit of the fortress. Once they were sure they were clear they moved to a stairwell which led to the underground tunnels, or so they assumed. 

“It’s her kind, not her. Does your love for her make you blind?”

“Never. In fact, I hated giants like you did not so long ago. Valerie won my heart, and I hope she can turn you as well.”

“I see no reason to trust her beyond this expedition. If she removes Kassel as a threat I will be pleased and hope to never see her again.” Alban sighed as the two entered a dimly lit room with boxes of odd looking items inside. Claymore left Alban’s back and approached one of the crates, pulling one of the circular objects out. He unscrewed what looked to be a lid and sniffed the powder inside. “I believe it’s sulfur.” Alban came over and examined it as well.

“Why sulfur?” 

“I’ve got a theory.” Claymore took a handful of the powder and threw it next to the stairs, far away from the crates. He then grabbed a torch from the wall and made Alban back away as he raised it above his head. With a quick series of events he tossed the torch as the pile of sulfur and it immediately exploded, smoke and fire taking over the stairwell. Alban’s jaw dropped and Claymore smiled. “King Alban. Would you like to assist me for a moment?”

*

Outside, the soldiers had formed a line behind Kassel as the man approached the feet of the giantess. “Princess Valerie! Or is it queen now? Oh, it has been too long.”

“Kassel. I don’t believe we’ve met.”

“In a way we did. I watched you flick my boss away many years ago. Back then I was furious, but now, oh now my dear I can only thank you. That man held me back; never let me truly find my potential in his ranks. Now, look at this empire I’ve built!” 

“A dozen horsemen? I can’t say I’m impressed.”

“Your naivety gives me joy!” He drew his sword and ran a gloved hand across it. “They say this blade once slew your people centuries ago. Do you think the steel thirsts for more?” 

“Your overconfidence will be your downfall, you murderous rat!” 

“Then crush me! Grind my bones to dust!” Kassel laughed as Valerie kept her feet firm. “You’re too soft, giant. Nothing like the man in the mountains.” He pointed his sword up at her. 

“Killing you wouldn’t be enough to pay for your crimes. You will rot in a Liston prison.” 

“I will do-” A great *BOOM* sounded behind the bandit lord as rocks and debris from the fortress walls flew out into the field. Smoke and fire lit up the sky and the soldiers that had been standing firm now led their horses away, and right into the line of fire of the men of Liston. Alban and Claymore exited the gaping hole in the fortress wall and Valerie laughed. 

“You two make quite the entrance.”

“My lady, we seek to please!” Alban said, bowing. The victory was cut short as Kassel pushed himself up and laughed. 

“You fools! Do you truly believe you have bested Kassel, emperor of the bandit clans? Your trust in your strength has blinded you, Valerie of Vandan! Now Liston will burn!” 

“Liar!” Claymore kicked the man back down. Valerie turned around and gazed across the horizon, and in the distance she could tell that the bandit lord was not lying. 

 

“Alban! Liston - it’s burning!” Kassel continued laughing, Claymore’s foot resting on him, and Valerie bent over to pluck him between her thumb and forefinger before she deposited him in the pocket of her dress. She then picked up the two men, which Claymore grumbled about as Valerie made her way back to Liston.