- Text Size +
"My little friend"

by Sonicfan287

Chapter 10: My little sleepover

The drive home was serene, as I cruised along the highway, with only a few headlights zipping by the opposite way. I glanced down at Jen every few seconds, if only to see how she was doing. I couldn't see her as well as I could before, as shadows were descending from my dashboard.

Because we had only stayed at the mall for such a short time, it was only 7 pm, still relatively early, which meant there'd be plenty more to do when we got back to my house... but what? What would we do? I wasn't completely sure but then again, I didn't completely care, as long as I'd be with her.

"Hey Bobby" Jen said, after some time had passed.

"Yeah?"

"Whatcha thinking about?" she asked.

"Ah, just stuff... just general stuff" I said, focusing on the road ahead of us, all the while getting closer to my house. "Anything you're thinking about?"

"No, not in particular" Jen said, "that's why I asked you"

"So you did" I said, and then paused again before saying, "so, I should probably just warn you now... my house is nothing extravagant"

"Yeah, well neither is mine" Jen sighed, with a bit of a laugh in her voice, although it seemed forced, "considering I live in the gutters of the branford house"

"Don't say that" I said, feeling a frown coming on. I hated when Jen got down on herself for things, "the branford house is awesome"

"Yeah, maybe" Jen said, sounding dejected now, "when you're not always sleeping in the garden"

I fumbled for words in my head at that moment, wanting to say something... just the right something to cheer her up, but instead I remained silent like an idiot.

"Well..." I said, through my teeth, "we're almost there..."

"Yeah we are" Jen said. "Did I mention you have a nice car?"

"Aw, thanks, you're too kind" I said, cracking a bit of my smile. I did enjoy my car, after all. "I don't get to have too many people in here"

"Well, it's their loss" she said, and sat back in the cup-holder now, as if she was already familiar with intricasies of it.

I began to slow my car as we turned onto my road, to build up the dramatic tension.

"We're almost there," I said, as all the houses were looking the same in the subdued light. Of course I remembered which one was mine, naturally, and I pulled us up the steep driveway before pushing the button on my console to open the garage door.

"Ooh, automatic" Jen said, watching as the garage door lifted, "fancy stuff"

"Yeah it is" I said, noticing she was having some trouble climbing out of the cup holder, "need some help?"

"No... I'm ugh... fine" Jen said, struggling before she finally pulled herself out from the cup holder and gently laid herself out on my hand. I lifted her slowly and carried her into the house.

I open the door to my basement, gently nudging my orange tabby cat with my foot as he had been trying to get outside again. He shuffles out of my way and quickly scampers up the stairs.

"Was that your cat?" Jen asked, not being able to see too well from her placement.

"Yeah, he's a cool cat" I said, "we call him Petey"

"He's cute" Jen said, as I flicked on the light switch, beholding to her my cozy basement, which featured a couch, an air hockey table, a broken pinball machine and an electric keyboard. "This is a good basement"

"Hope the lighting's not too dim for ya" I said, pointing out the flickering flourescent lights that my dad had put in to save energy, or something like that.

"Bobby, you worry too much" Jen chuckled, "now c'mon show me the upstairs"

"Alright alright" I said, and walked us slowly up the few stairs I had to the living room. The living room had been where I did the majority of my gaming on the HDTV, with my guitar hero accessories strewn on the floor. The room was a sort of mess but most of that was my fault. "Sorry about the mess"

"It's fine" Jen said, in a nonchalant way, and then asked me, "hey could you put me down on the couch right there? It looks really soft"

"Sure" I said, setting her down on my tan leather couch. She let herself kind of sink into the folds of the leather and let out a contented sigh. I couldn't help but chuckle to myself watching her. "Hey I'll get us something to drink, you stay right there"

"Oh yeah, Bobby, because for a second there I was thinking of jumping off this couch on my own" Jen said, obviously sarcastic.

"Okay, okay, Ill be right back..." I said, and walked into the kitchen, before I realized that I might not have had a cup small enough for her, but I tried to find one anyway. I notice an unopened bottle of robitussin in my cabinet and take the small plastic cup off the cap. Perfect.

I'm pouring some pepsi into my cup and hers when I suddenly heard a shriek, followed by some words I could barely make out. I rush into the living room to see my cat had leapt onto the couch and was sniffing and pawing at Jen, causing her to scramble towards the edge of the couch.

"PETEY, NO!" I shouted and quickly pulled him off the couch, giving Jen the chance to regain her footing and avoid falling. "I am SO sorry, Jen, you don't even KNOW!"

"It's... it's fine" Jen said, sounding out of breath and perturbed. Her hair was also a bit miffed looking so she brushed it out with her hands. "Could you please just... I don't know, move the cat? He's friendly and all... just a little too friendly"

"Oh, I understand completely" I said, and brought Petey downstairs, shutting the door on him, "Sorry, Petey, but this is for your own good, and Jen's"

I then walked back upstairs and apologized again. I set my hand at the edge of the couch so Jen could easily climb in and then slowly brought her to rest on my black coffee table in the center of the room, before bringing her in the cup of robitussin.

"You're such a gracious host" Jen said, taking a small sip of pepsi, "you know how to flatter a girl"

"Well thanks," I said, sitting down on the couch near the table as I slowly set down my larger cup next to her. She used it as something to lay against. "and thanks again, for coming over"

"But of course" Jen said, getting herself comfortable against the back of the plastic cup. Unfortunately, she underestimated her own force, and shoved the cup backwards slightly, causing her to fall back in shock. "Whoops, sorry I'm so clumsy"

"Hey it's fine" I said, holding in my ensuing laughter, "I'm a clumsy guy myself"

"So..." Jen said, starting a new topic yet again, "what do you do for fun around here?"

"Oh, not much" I said, referencing the giant piles of game paraphenalia that covered the corner of the room.

"Hey, is that guitar hero?" Jen asked, noticing my X-plorer toppled by my Xbox360.

"Why yes" I said, picking up the guitar so she could see it better. Of course it wasn't a real guitar, and was actually quite beat up from hours of use.

"I love guitar hero" Jen said, "it's so much fun"

"Really?" I said, trying to ask her without sounding too mean, "You uh...play guitar hero?"

"Well I did, I mean I still could" Jen said, correcting herself rather swiftly, "in fact, why dont you get it started?"

"Are you serious?" I asked, and she nodded in agreement, "okay, here I go"

I turn on the Xbox and get us onto the start screen. I had no clue how this was going to work. Jen leaned over the edge of the table, watching me set up the whole system, seemingly enthralled in everything I did.

"Okay, Bobby" she said, after I had gotten us to the song select screen, "set the guitar down on the floor, and put me on it"

"What?" I asked, in confusion, looking at her and then back at the guitar in my hands.

"Just do it, put the guitar down..." she instructed, as I set it down on the floor by the coffee table, "and now put me on top of it"

So I picked her up again and placed her on the plastic neck of the guitar, her feet already stepping on the red and green buttons simultaneously.

"Are you serious?" I asked, starting to realize what she was trying to do, "you're going to play guitar hero with your feet?"

"Yeah," she said, "I just need you to strum"

"This is...interesting" I said, feeling a strange sense of excitement overcome me. For some reason, I thought this was a great idea, but I had no idea how it would work out. I put the difficulty of the game on easy and knelt down on the ground so I could easily press the strum bar when needed.

"Are you ready?" Jen said, doing jumping jacks on the top of the guitar, before stretching a little bit, "this is going to be a workout"

"For you maybe, I'm just strumming..." I said, chuckling.

"Ok, here we go!" Jen said, and tapped the green button 3 consecutive times with her foot. It was almost like playing DDR for her, while I strummed to every button she hit. She then did this really cool thing when she hit the red and green buttons with her left and right feet, and then hit them again, but with opposite feet. I was so busy watching her try to finagle herself onto the buttons, I almost forgot to strum sometimes.

"Wow, go Jen" I said, in a hushed tone, unable to ever imagine seeing this in my life. This 3 inch girl, was jumping from note to note, slamming her foot on each button (as she had to apply some power in order for the game to register her inputs). She was also extremely good at it, although she missed a couple times, and had to hurry at other times, to go from yellow all the way down to green.

Of course, I had picked an easy song for her, but she still looked worn out at the end of it.

"Wow!" Jen said, looking up at the screen at the finish of the song, her hands on her knees as she knelt down, worn out from the running and stomping exercises she had gotten. That also reminded me of how I felt after a game of DDR. "That was nuts!"

"Yeah...yeah it was" I said, not even feeling the reality of the situation anymore, because there was none. I just watched something I thought was only possible in a disney movie, and I felt awesome about it, it was all so surreal. Jen was the perfect combination of sensibility and quirkiness for me. It was just too bad I could never tell her that. "You okay, Jen? Need some water?"

"Yeah, I'm fine" Jen said, "but if it's all the same to you, I need to cool off for a while... so... didn't you have an air hockey table?"

"Oh c'mon, Jen" I said, gently lifting her from the guitar after she had rested for a while, "there's no way I could play you at air hockey... I'd be too afraid of hurting you"

"Then we'll take it slow" Jen said, "pleeease? I want to do something really fun"

"Okay, okay" I said. I simply couldn't refuse her. Not at this point. I take her downstairs to my air hockey table and set her on the corner, just outside of the table itself. I turn on the air and she cautiously puts a foot on the table, and slips a little. "Are you sure this is a good idea?"

"Yeah, I'm fine!!" Jen said, lunging forward to keep her balance, as a child would do on rollerskates, their first time. Jen slowly got more poise as she traversed the table and stood in front of the goal opposite of where I was standing.

"I really don't want to hurt you" I said, biting my lip as I put the puck down on the table in front of me.

"Just push it to me, gently" Jen said, "you won't hurt me, I promise"

"Okay, okay" I said, giving the puck a gentle nudge in her direction. She knelt down and caught it, holding onto it for a few seconds before shoving it back at me.

"Okay, that was a good start..." Jen said and starting to glide a bit as she walked back and forth, "now make it a challenge"

"How so?" I asked, holding the puck in my hands.

"Shove it at me, but try to score a goal" she said, "c'mon, show me what you got"

"I don't know..." I said, staring at the puck directly ahead of me and then looking down the table further to where Jen was, appearing to be miles away at this point.

"C'mon Bobby" Jen said, "just have fun with it"

"Ok, here goes nothing" I said, and pushed the puck towards her goal. She leapt in front of it and landed on it, pinning it, but she kept spinning with it. She seemed to enjoy it though, like a child on a carnival ride.

"Not bad," she said, with a certain confidence about her, as if she'd been playing this form of air hockey for years. "But how do you like this?"

Jen then did something I didn't see coming, and it was actually a shot I used to try when I played air hockey more frequently. She banked the puck off 2 walls and it came so fast off the second bounce that it ricocheted into my goal and Jen began cheering before falling on her back and sliding a bit. She laughed and got up, still feeling euphoric from her shot.

"Wow!" I said, as she manually notched the score herself, pushing the peg on her side of the table over to "1"."That was...wow"

"Thank you, thank you very much" Jen said, taking some mocking bows, and then looking back at me, "it's 1-0, love"

"oh it's on" I smiled and shot the puck back at her, maybe with more force than I originally intended but she still made a hell of an effort diving for like a tennis player would. She missed instead and it went straight into her goal. I felt a bit cheap scoring it though because I obviously could put more power on my shots, "I don't have to count that if you don't want me to"

"Oh I want you to" Jen said, smiling as she was getting the hang of "skating" along the table now, letting herself drift back and forth with less slippage than before. "Now c'mon, let's continue"

I shot another puck at her, softer this time, and she ran full board at it, before slipping again and falling on her face a bit, missing the puck completely. The fall looked more painful than it probably was but I was still concerned.

"Are you okay?" I asked, as she picked herself up from the table, the wind blowing her hair in every which direction.

"I'm fine" Jen said, "This is seriously the most fun I've had in a while, playing some air hockey"

"I feel the same way" I said with a warm smile, as I shoved the puck back at her. It wasn't even about winning, it was just the fun of it all, and Jen actually mounted quite a comeback. She ended up winning that game 9-8, but I had fun all the same.

After the air hockey game, we went back upstairs to the TV, of course and I sat down on my dad's giant recliner. I put Jen down on the table next to me.

"Is there anything good on?" Jen asked me.

"The celtics game is on" I said, "that's about it"

"Ooh put it on!" Jen said.

"You're a Celtics fan?" I asked.

"Of course" Jen said, and I was starting to realize that Jen was even more like me than I thought, and I wanted to learn so much more about her. She was so small, but so similar, and knew how to do things that even regular size people couldn't do. Heck, she had a better bank-shot in air hockey than John did! Just who was Jen? I had no idea but I was having a great time figuring it out.

"You want me to make some popcorn?" I asked, as the game was just getting started with the Celtics out to an early 10-5 lead.

"Yeah, sure" Jen said.

And so, I went into my kitchen and prepared some popcorn for my little visitor.

"Hey, I don't have any bowls small enough for ya" I said, "is that going to be a problem?"

"No problem" Jen answered back, "Just bring in the big bowl, I always wanted to swim in popcorn"

"Alrighty then" I shrugged, and took the bowl of popcorn into her. I sat down on the chair and put her down on the arm of the chair. She leaned over to grab a piece of popcorn from the bowl but fell in and laughed.

"Kinda hot, but not too bad in here" she said.

After the Celtics game, it was around midnight, and so we decided it was time for bed, since we were both exhuasted, but her especially.

"And so this is your bedroom" Jen said, as I took her into my downstairs room where I kept my smaller 19" TV on the dresser in front of my bed. Next to my bed was another dresser loaded with crap, although I cleared off the top of it so she could sleep on there. "Not too shabby"

"No, not at all" I said, and set Jen down on my dresser gently. I then took out an eyeglass cleaning cloth I had and set it down. "Your blanket, darling"

"Thanks" Jen said, chuckling and laid herself out on the dresser top, draping the cloth over her body. I turned off the lights and she started to settle into a sleeping position before she rolled over so she was looking straight up at my ceiling.

"Is everything okay, Jen?" I asked, glancing over at the tiny girl on my dresser.

"Yeah, fine" Jen said, sounding lost in her thoughts, "I'm just so glad..."

"Glad about what?" I asked.

"That you treat me like a real person" Jen said.

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"It's just that...being this small..." Jen said, "has made me feel like a toy... a novelty... just something for people to look at, or make fun of you"

"Who's made fun of you?" I asked, feeling anger towards these people.

"Noone really" Jen said, "but that's because I hide myself... I don't want to be treated as someone's toy...I'm a human being, yknow?"

"Of course I know" I said.

"Well it doesn't apply to you" Jen said, "you've been great to me, and I owe you a lot, you've made me think of myself as more than a toy..."

"Good, you shouldn't think of yourself that way" I said, with a smile.

"...of course..." I heard Jen say very quietly, "...I still wish I wasn't this small"

"What'd you say?" I asked, not sure if I heard her correctly.

"Nothing..." Jen said, "just talking to myself..."

I frowned to hear this, but decided to move on.

"Hey Bobby?" Jen asked.

"Yeah?"

"Are you happy... with your life?" she asked.

"Hmm, I don't know" I said, feeling suddenly awe-struck by the question. It was much deeper than any other "yes or no" question. "I mean I have some great friends and everything... but..."

"Do you think your friends will be mad at you?" Jen asked, cutting in, "because of the mall thing?"

"I don't know, maybe" I said, "I'm just glad to be here with you... too many nights I'm alone, just wanting to talk to someone"

"Well I'm here for now" Jen said, sitting up so she wasn't in sleep mode anymore, "talk to me"

"Well, I don't know what to say exactly, that's the thing" I said, "I'm so used to not talking to people about things, that I don't have the words"

"Just say anything" Jen said, sounding very curious all of a sudden. "I don't care what it is"

"Well, a lot of my problems, see I don't even know that I have problems" I said, thinking to myself out loud basically. "I feel like everyone's happier than me, but does that make me unhappy or just less happy?"

"It seems you're trying too hard to be like everyone else" Jen said, "one person's happiness isn't nessecarily everyone's happiness"

"You're right, you're right" I said, "so can I ask you one more question?"

"Yeah, sure"

"I'm uh guessing this little 'slumber party' won't have a pillow fight" I joked.

"Ha, you wish, Bobby!" Jen said, cheering up more than before. "I bet this is the first time you've slept with a girl, so to speak"

"Heh, yeah, you could say that" I said, laying down moreso now, and looking in her direction as she lay on my dresser. "But don't worry you can trust me"

"I know" Jen said, smiling "that's what I like about you"

"So," I said, "Do we have any plans for next week?"

"I certainly hope so!" Jen said, with excitement, "especially on Wednesday"

"What's wednesday?" I asked.

"My birthday!!" Jen said.

"Really? Wow, that's awesome!" I said.

"So are you available?" Jen asked.

"Yeah I'm not dating anyone" I said.

"No, silly, I mean are you available on that day?" Jen asked.

"Oh.. oh yeah" I said, realizing my semi-intended error in speech. "I'm available on Wednesday, I don't have work"

"Excellent!" Jen said, and then asked, "When is the next time you work?"

"I work tomorrow actually... tomorrow night" I said, "I'll probably have to take you back to Avery Point in the morning"

"I don't think so!" Jen said, "I want to go to work with you"

"You wanna what?" I asked, in surprise.

"You heard me!"

"But... Jen... you could get hurt, I do a lot of heavy lifting and stuff, I could drop you or something" I said, feeling worried about the prospect of risking her life like that.

"I don't think so" Jen said, "you really don't give me enough credit sometimes, Bobby"

"Okay, okay, but it's going to be mad boring" I warned.

"Fine with me" Jen said, "I could use a little boring after tonight's action"

"Agreed" I said, and then started to feel tired, "but I think I'm going to get some rest"

"Yeah, me too" Jen said, settling down under the covers. "Goodnight Bobby"

"Goodnight Jen" I said, and fell into a comfortable sleeping position. And as I drifted into my sleeping state, I had one thought on my mind...

"what kind of birthday gift could I get a 3 inch tall girl?"