- Text Size +
"My little friend"

by Sonicfan287

Chapter 12: Night at Avery Point

"Well..." Jen chuckled, brushing some hair from her face as I set her down in my cup holder and adjusted my rear view mirror. "That was certainly an interesting day..."

"Yes... I would say so..." I sighed, kinda holding back a laugh, "I told you to stay away from that cup of paper clips"

"I know I know..." Jen said, as I slowly pulled away from Staples after yet another day that I could only hope would be my last, even if that weren't the case. "But they were so colorful... and well... thanks for getting the cup back before that little kid bought it"

"No problem" I said, "but it sure was hard telling him, and his mom, that those paper clips had to be sent back to China for further testing because they might have mercury in them"

"Yeah it was" Jen chuckled, and then kinda sat back in her cup holder, getting comfortable and looking up at me with a smile as I drove. I glanced down every few seconds, sometimes distracted by her. Even from my height I could see her eyes quite well and they looked really nice, especially as they focused on me.

Feeling a need to break the awkrard silence, I spoke.

"So... is there anywhere else you wanted to go?" I asked. At this point, it had been 9:30 and the moon was out, but it was stilla nice night.

"Yeah actually..." Jen said, "if you don't mind..."

"No, not at all, tell me" I said, slowing down a bit.

"Well, what if we went to Avery Point?" she asked.

"Avery Point?" I repeated. I had been there at night before, and it was always quite nice, so I could certainly understand her wanting to go there, even if she lived there everyday.

"Yeah, it's just... really nice, and..." Jen said, growing nervous as she spoke, and well, I certainly didn't want her to be nervous, at least as nervous as I was, so I cut her off and said "No problem, let's go"

I turned onto the highway and took off for Avery Point, getting there at about 10 pm and parking down by the ocean. I get out of my car slowly and then gently remove Jen from the cup holder, as we're greeted with the sounds of crashing waves and a careful ambience that surrounds the entire campus.

"This is really nice" Jen said, as I shut the door to my Pontiac and walked off with her cupped in my hands.

"Yeah you are..." I chuckled and then quickly corrected myself, "I mean yeah it is"

"Hey let's go over by the Branford House" Jen said, "I figure since I've seen your house, you should get a better look at mine"

"Sure" I said, and took her through the silent grass to the looming mansion in the distance. It looked so much more ominous at night, but had a certain elegance to it as well, as I walked us up the small staircase to the foyer. "Now where would you like to go?"

"Let's just sit down over there" Jen said, pointing to a corner of the foyer from which you could see everything in the distance. I sat down against the wall and set Jen down on the ground below me. She walked forward so she was almost off the edge of the staircase now and looked out at the glistening ocean, then back at me. "It sure does make you feel... well... small, doesn't it?"

I chuckled, "yeah, I suppose so"

Jen then walked back to me and did something I didn't expect. She leaned her weight against my thigh and sighed as if she was drifting to sleep. I smiled, feeling her warmth against me.

"Bobby?" she said, sounding drowsy.

"Yeah" I asked, feeling a bit tired myself as I looked down at my little friend leaning against me.

"I just... I just want to thank you... so much" Jen said, and started to scoot herself down some so she had her back against the wall and placed her head back on the side of my leg. "You've been so nice to me... and..."

"Well of course I've been nice to you" I smiled, "how could I not be? You're just so awesome and..."

"Me? Ha" Jen laughed, "You're the awesome one, Bobby... you've treated me better than anyone I can remember... you've been so kind to me, when you could've just taken advantage of me... I mean, in case you haven't noticed, I'm not very big..."

"Jen..." I said, "I don't care how big you are, you deserve respect like everyone else, and quite frankly... well..."

"Yeah?"

"...you're... better..." I began to say.

"What do you mean, better?" Jen asked.

"I mean you're better than other girls, better than other people, no matter what size" I said, starting to let my thoughts just pour of my mouth, "and whether you're 6 feet tall or 3 inches... I just... well, I think you're pretty great"

Jen smiled and didn't have to say anything to express the effect I had had on her. She gets herself more comfortable, now laying out against me.

"There is just one thing more I'd like to ask" I said. Jen looked up in curiousity, "well, you mentioned that your birthday is coming up, and well... I'm wondering if there's anything you'd like"

Jen sighed, and suddenly I could tell I had touched on another sensitive topic.

"Well..." Jen said, still sounding drowsy but now a bit confused as she continued on in her speech, "there's only one thing I really want... and well..."

"Yeah?"

"I could... never... ask you to give that to me..." Jen sighed, looking away from me now and out towards the ocean to avoid direct eye contact. I looked down at her bewildered. What did she mean? I could ask... but I didn't want to ruin this perfect moment any further than I already had.

"We should probably get back... soon..." I said, never wanting to leave this resting place, with Jen nestled against me as we both looked out at the ocean now. "It's almost 11"

"Yeah... we'll go soon" Jen said, and leaned herself against me, now closing her eyes. "We'll go..."

"Yeah" I said, and let myself drift away as well.

"Hey Bobby?" Jen said, "there's something... I... should probably tell you"

"Sure" I said, feeling my eye lids grow heavier.

"Bobby..." she said, "I... I..."

I then snapped my eyes open when I realized she hadn't spoken for a few moments. I looked down at her to see that she had fallen asleep. I didn't want to wake her and since I was tired as well... I decide there was only one thing to do.


"Goodnight, Jen" I smiled, and got myself comfortable against the wall.