- Text Size +
"My little friend"

by Sonicfan287

Chapter 13: My little mistake


The wind stung my face as I opened my eyes, slowly at first and then all in one swift motion. I look around and realize...

"Where'd she go?"

I look around my immediate area and find no sign of her, before she emerges from a nearby shrub, yawning.

"Wow" she said, brushing herself off and then laying back down against the rock wall, "we uh... slept here all night"

"Yeah" I said, squinting my eyes to look out over the water, which was now blanketed by fog. I then direct my eyes back down at her, "hopefully you had a good rest"

"I did, how about you?" she asked.

"It was great" I smiled, and then slowly began to stand up. "What time is it anyway?"

I glance at my watch and notice that it's already after 12 pm and realize I was due at work in less than an hour.

"Oh shoot..." I sighed, remorefully looking down at Jen, "I uh gotta go... work time..."

"Oh..." she said dissapointingly "well, thats understandable... but thanks... for everything"

"No problem" I said, still feeling tired, as I gathered up my things and bid my friend adieu.

As I drive to Staples, I just couldn't stop thinking about everything that had happened. For the first time... well ever, I had connected with a girl that was really awesome. I mean, sure I dated Kim for a year beforehand, but... heh, I hadn't even remembered Kim over the last several days. As long as Jen was around, it was as if she didn't exist, as it should be, but I digress.

Since Jen came into my life, I've found myself experiencing something... maybe not love, but something I've never felt before. I've been obsessed with girls before, but not quite like this. Then again, Jen wasn't like most girls, and I was okay with that. But I couldn't help but be perplexed by some of the things she said.

Then again, who said women were easy to understand in general?

I laid myself on my bed at about 10:30 that night, deciding to get some early rest. I thought that maybe I could visit Jen early the next morning, and pick up where we had left off... but where were we? And more importantly, where was it going?

These questions swirl in my mind but get lost in my sea of thoughts and I drift away with them, into a state that was as close to sleep as I could ever hope to be in.

It was a bright sunny day at the Branford House and the usual dark greys and browns of the branford house shone with strong tones of white. I walked excitedly up the steps to find Jen, sleeping in the spot we had slept together in just a night ago.

"Hey Jen" I said, walking up to her. She looked she had something to say.

"Hey Bobby" she said, and then signaled for me to come closer, "could I talk to you about something?"

"Yeah sure" I said, and bent down, more to her level, looking her in the eye. "What's up?"

"Well... heh" she said, chuckling and holding back a smile, "I uh... wanted to ask you something... actually..."

"Yeah sure" I said. I wasn't sure what she was going to say, but since she was smiling, it must've been something good.

"Well... we've spent a lot of time together, right?" Jen asked.

"Yeah" I said.

"And well, it's pretty obvious you really like me" she said, flashing me a wink.

"Heh... yeah... maybe" I said, feeling a bit flustered when she said that.

"And well... I like you too..." she said, looking up at me, and then was about to continue on, "and so I thought..."

"Yeah?" I said, looking down at her attentively, hanging on her every word at this point.

"Well I thought we could..."

"Thought we could what?"

"I thought we could..."

"Yeah?"

"I thought we could... thought..."

"What?" I asked, getting confused. She seemed more nervous than usual now.

"I thought we could..."

Suddenly, the sun turned to rain, and I found myself in my bedroom instead. I looked around, just to confirm it. But it was true... surrounding me were the plain pale walls of my bedroom, and there I was in my bed, half asleep, with no noise except the faint audio of the tv.

"DAMN IT!" I said, and slapped my pillow.

As I get into my car, I realize it couldn't have been a much worse day. The temperature was in the 50's but it felt a bit coolert than that and it had rained overnight, so the sky was still overcast and gloomy. It was definitely not what I was expecting after that dream of mine.

I arrive at Avery Point, where there's small amounts of rain still falling and head towards the student center when Im greeted by a familiar face... not Jen, but Sarah.

"Hey, Bobby, wait up" she said, and strolled up to me before I had a chance to say or do anything.

"Hey... Sarah" I said, chuckling nervously, finding myself getting pulled into the student center for a game of pool. That's usually how these things ended up.

"So Bobby" Sarah said, as she chalked up a pool cue. She had set up the pool game already - in record time, "I should warn you, John's pretty pissed at you"

"John? What'd I do to him?" I asked, barely paying attention to Sarah's break. She then signaled that it was my turn so I took a lackluster shot.

"Well, I don't know..." Sarah said, smirking at my lack of pool skills, "maybe you left him - and me, by the way - just chilling at the mall on friday night"

"Ohhh yeah..." I said, feeling the guilt set in again. I loved my friends, I really did, but Jen didn't want to be revealed to them, and I was in no position to be disrespecting the wishes of a fairy. "Sarah, I'm..."

"Hey don't sweat it..." Sarah smiled, taking her shot and actually making it this time, "I know the reason you've been ditching John and I, so I understand"

"Heh... Sarah, I don't think you could..."

"It's a girl... I know it's a girl" Sarah said, frankly. "And I won't be like John and get mad about it, I'll just wish you luck"

"But it's not..."

"Bobby, c'mon" Sarah said, as I once again took a horrible shot at the 5 ball. "You have a horrible poker face... I know you're crushing on someone..."

"Well..." I said, with a slight smile "that perhaps wasn't the best choice of words"

"What do you mean?"

"Never mind" I said, realizing why she'd never get my pun. Despite the rain, it was a pretty relaxing day, with noone in the room but Sarah and I, and some random kid on a laptop. It was just us and the sound of the pool balls clacking on the table. I'd of course find time to visit Jen later but I guess I owed my friend some time as well.

"So... what's her name?" Sarah asked.

"Huh?"

"The girl" Sarah chuckled, "I'm not gonna forget about this, you should know me by now"

And damn it, I did and she could be very persistent, especially about these kind of things.

"I don't know..."

"Bobby?" she asked.

"Ugh fine... her name is... her name is... Jen" I said, and later got angry at myself for dispensing her real name. I was going to make something up but for some reason it just slipped out of my mouth.

"Jen? That's a pretty name" Sarah said.

"Yeah... yeah it is" I said, beginning to feel uncomfortable about the nature of our conversation. On one hand, I felt tempted to just say everything, come clean and ask Sarah what to do. After all, she'd be supportive and might even have some advice... but I also didn't want to reveal Jen to anyone. Even though I felt a certain pride about her, she did not share in this, so it wasn't my place to speak of her to others.

"So..." Sarah said, continuing her dominance in pool, "When am I gonna meet this lady?"

"Uh... what?"

"You heard me" Sarah smirked, "when am I gonna meet her? I know she goes here, and I know you've been talking to her, in fact you're probably thinking of talking to her right now"

"I am not..." I said, while my brain said something completely different.

Just then the door whooshed open and John stood on the other side, completely coated with rain. He shut the door and let out a sigh of exhaustion.

"Whew!" he said, "it's pouring out there"

"Pouring?" I said, my concerns suddenly elevated.

"Oh look who it is" John sighed. "I suppose you're gonna..."

Before John could even finish whatever he was saying, I had darted out of the room and headed for the boy's room to grab some paper towels.

"Bobby!" Sarah shouted, chasing after me.

I ran from the boy's room with a good cluster of paper toweling stuffed into my pockets, barely noticing that Sarah had been tailing me.

"Bobby, come back here!" Sarah said, quickly closing the gap between us, but I didn't care. What if Jen was drowning, or something? I knew she knew how to take care of herself, but still... I couldn't bear the thought of losing her.

As I ran, I became steadily more wet and before long, the paper towels in my pockets would be rendered useless, but I still kept going. It seemed to take longer than usual to get there but I did and ran hurriedly up the steps again, but this time, not on a sunny day.

"JEN!" I shouted, as a mightly clap of thunder erupted behind me, so I shouted again, "JEN!!"


I looked around but there was no answer. I looked in all the corners and even the rain gutters, but there was nothing.

"JEN!!" I said, nearly out of breath this time. I then saw something moving in some standing water and could barely make out a small figure. "Jen?"

I saw Jen flailing around in the water and quickly lifted her out. She was gasping and gagging in my hands, soaking wet.

"Bobby... I..." she said, coughing still.

"Shhh, don't talk" I said, and laid a piece of slightly dry paper towels on my other hand. I put the paper towel over her and she dried herself off as best she could.

"Bobby...I..." Jen said, gasping still, and then I realized why she was gasping at all.

"So THIS is her?" I heard a voice say. I turned back, aghast, and saw Sarah, who had been watching the whole thing. Jen scampered back in my hand, concealing herself behind the paper towel, but it had been too late.

"Uh..." I said, too nervous to speak. I didn't know if I should say anything or Jen should. I mean, how does one explain this?

"She's... so small" Sarah said, in a tone reminiscent of a small child. "She's..."

"Alright that's enough!" Jen said, and tossed the paper towel off herself angrily, now stepping to the edge of my palm to address Sarah, "YES, I'm small!"

"I'm... I'm sorry" Sarah said, backing away, surprised by the little girl's reaction to her.

"Well you should be!" Jen shouted, her eyes turning red as she looked at me now, looking completely embarassed, "Bobby, how could you let this happen? I told you I didn't want this!"

Sarah was about to apologize again, but Jen continued.

"I'm not some exhibit... for people to gawk at!" Jen screamed, as tears began to trickle down her face.

"I never..." I began, but I too felt sad.

"I don't care what your excuse is" Jen said, "please just set me down"

"Huh?"

"SET ME DOWN!!" she screamed.

"I was just trying to help" I sighed sadly, but I realized 100% why she was mad. I set her down slowly.

"I don't need your help!" Jen screamed, "I don't need anyone's help! And I'm not some toy, Im not some exhibit, I'm just me... and I can take care of myself"

Jen then ran off into the shrubbery. I was about to follow her when Sarah held me back.

"Let her go" Sarah said silently.

"But I...."

"I'm telling you as a girl" Sarah said, "just give her time... but for now, leave her be"

"Okay" I said, realizing she was right. I still can't believe I had been so stupid. I never meant for this to happen... never.

"Bobby..." Sarah said, giving me a sincere look "I am so sorry"

"It's fine, not your fault" I said, and we slowly walked away from the Branford House as the rain came crashing down around us.

"I just don't get it though... I mean how..." Sarah said.

"I'll explain everything..." I sighed, walking away with Sarah. "You see, it all started with..."