- Text Size +
"My little friend"

by Sonicfan287

Chapter 14: Making amends

"C'mon, c'mon..." I said, alone in my room, holding my cell phone tightly as I dialed her number for about the 18th time. Still no answer.

I hang up and dial her number again.

Still no answer.

Finally, I flop onto my bed and leave my cell phone in my drawer. What was it gonna take to earn Jen's forgiveness? I didn't mean for anything like that to happen...how was I supposed to know that Sarah would find out about this? Thinking back on it, if there was ever anyone curious enough to figure it out, it would've been Sarah and in this case, curiousity killed me, not the proverbial cat I'm always hearing about.

Suddenly, I'm startled by a rattling coming from my drawer. It's a vibration from my cell phone, so I reach for it but notice it's only a text message. I open it and read:

"How come we never talk anymore?"

I scroll down further to see the name and it's from Kim. Ugh, you've got to be kidding, I thought to myself. I decide to ignore her text completely. If she couldn't figure out by now why I wouldn't want to talk to her, there was no point in explaining it, and so I return to my spot on my bed, thinking about life.

Throughout this whole situation I had kinda let everyone down. It seemed like whenever I fell in love, or got caught up in this kind of thing (not that I've known too many fairies in my lifetime), I dissapoint a good friend of mine, or a girl I care about, or myself. In this case, I felt like I had let everyone down. I left my friends out of the picture, I let Jen down and I let myself down. To make matters worse, Jen's birthday was in a couple days, and I had no clue what to get her except the big fat apology I'd be giving her when I got to school tomorrow... but perhaps first things first. I needed to make things up to my friends as well, maybe play some foosball with John again. Now that Sarah actually knew the details of my predicament perhaps she could help me out, but I wasn't counting on it. I got myself into this mess, and I'd somehow have to dig myself out.

As I went to sleep though, I wondered, would Jen even talk to me at all anymore?

I wondered all these things as I drove to school in the morning, as I additionally wondered what to get Jen. I knew there was something she wanted... something important. She mentioned it during our night at Avery Point a few nights back, before she hated me. She told me she could never ask me for it though... but I'd be willing to give it to her at this point, no matter what it was.

I get out of my car and tenatively contemplate where to go next. Of course, in about a second or two, I wasn't about to be given much of a choice.

"So, what was all that yesterday?" John asked, suddenly sidling up beside me, while Sarah seemed to be blocking me from the other side. I don't know how they could always be so stealthy.

"Well uh..." I stammered, not really knowing how to answer his rather straight forward question. Sarah, of course, knew what was going on, but John was still totally clueless and probably always would be.

"Let's just say Bobby has a... little problem" Sarah chuckled.

"That's not funny!" I sneered, elbowing her slightly but she still laughed. Admittedly, it was a good pun.

"ANYWAY..." John said, as we inevitably walked into the student center to potentially kill a bunch of time playing useless games.

"Yeah, I know..." I said, cutting him off, "I know I've been acting kinda weird..."

"...and randomly ditching us" John continued.

"...and randomly ditching you..." I said, "I've just been going through some... stuff... but I'll be okay"

"Indeed" John said, then looked down at the foosball table that we had apparently drifted towards during our conversation. "Are you ready?"

"Fine" I said, with a smirk. And I was ready. Perhaps I could take out some of my frustration and confusion on the foosball table, as I often times did. During the rapid paced game of foosball, I thought I felt a vibration in my pants pocket, but I couldn't help but continue on in my foosball related pursuit. Besides, it was probably Kim once again begging for forgiveness.

After my appetite for foosball subsided, I eventually departed from the student center and checked my cell phone. Much to my surprise, and confusion, I had a missed call from Jen. I quickly hustle up to the Branford House, as usual.

"Jen?" I said, kinda quietly, after what had happened with Sarah yesterday. I look around for a while and realize she's probably not around. She was probably hiding from me and didn't want to be found. I slump off to the stairs and sit with my face in my hands, looking out at the ocean. Jen had probably only called to tell me to not bother coming at all. She'd probably never speak to me again. I slant my eyes downward so I'm looking at nothing but the inside of my palm.

"Hey stranger... why so glum?" I hear.

I take my hands off my face and look down to see Jen standing on the step below me.

"Well?" she asked, with a tenative smile on her face, as if she didn't know whether to be happy or not. "Are you gonna answer me or what?"

I still stared down at her somewhat blankly, not knowing what to say at this point.

"Well can you atleast help me up?" Jen said, making small leaps to try to get above the step that was about an inch higher than she was, but it was obvious she wasn't trying as hard as usual, because I had seen her get up there before. "I am a bit dainty y'know"

"Jen... I..." I said, sighing, knowing she was referring to my over protectiveness of her.

"I'm kidding!" Jen smiled and pulled herself onto the step, quite quickly. "So what's up? I tried to call, y'know"

"I know..." I said, unfolding my cell phone, "I just didn't think you'd ever want to talk to me again after..."

"Well I'll admit..." Jen sighed, losing her smile for the moment, "I was really scared when I first saw your friend... but then I thought about it..."

"Yeah?"

"And if she really wanted to do anything to me, she would've... and she didn't seem mean either" Jen said, kinda looking down as she spoke. "I guess I was a bit too rash"

"No, not at all" I said, also not able to look her right in the eye for some reason. It was as if the whole situation made both of us very uncomfortable. "I can understand your reaction completely, and I... I just let you down and..."

"You didn't let me down" Jen said, "It wasn't your fault, and I should've realized that... and also..."

"Yeah?"

"Well I shouldn't be so... sensitive...about my size... yknow?" and she then chuckled uncomfortably and looked me in the eye and said "I mean... heh... that is who I am, right?"

I could sense a bit of faltering in her voice as she spoke. And it was then I realized what I always kind of knew. Whenever I thought of fairies or anything from a disney story, I just figured they were small because that was part of their charm and everyone was okay with that. I didn't realize that maybe fairies didn't nessecarily like being small or referred to as such, it was just part of who they were.

I look down at Jen again and said, "Jen... you may be small... but that doesn't define you"

Jen looked up at me and smiled, but then quickly frowned and looked back down.

"No, I mean it" I said again "When I think of you... I don't think of you as a certain size... I just... think of you... and how much I..."

I then sort of stopped myself and let Jen deduce whatever she wanted from that sentence. I couldn't quite bear myself to say it, especially not now, when the time didn't feel right.


"Well, I just wanted to apologize" Jen said, and I could notice small tears welling up in her eyes, "and um... I hope we're still cool"

"Yeah" I said in a silent tone, not having much more to say myself, well... okay one more thing. "Hey Jen?"

"Yeah?"

"Uh... what DO you want for your birthday?"

"Uh... nothing" she said nervously.

"No no no, I remember you telling me there's one thing you really wanted" I said, determined now to find out what it is. "And I really would like to know, if it'd make you happy"

"It would...but..." Jen started.

"But what?" I asked.

"I just... couldn't..." Jen said, confusing me further.

"Couldn't what? I'm willing to listen if you'll tell me" I said, "I just want you to have a happy birthday..."

"And I appreciate that, but... there's only one thing I've wanted for a while... and I don't see it happening..." Jen said, and began to walk away.

"Jen?" I said, "JEN?!"

I sighed and realized she had either slipped off somewhere or just stopped talking. I decide to do the same and walk back to the student center.

Whatever she wanted for her birthday, I was gonna figure it, and damn it, she was goin to get it... one way or another...