- Text Size +
"My little friend"

by Sonicfan287

Chapter 16: Little adjustments


"Okay, Bobby..." I heard Sarah say, "hold on"

It was at that moment Sarah stood fully upright and began moving while I was tossed around in her purse. It was almost like being on an elevator except it was more on a slant because of the way her purse hung from her shoulders, and I was unfortunately a victim of gravity.

As I felt myself pinned to the wall, as if I was in some kind of twisted variation of a moon walk, I thought about everything that had just happened.

Just a week ago, I didn't even know who Jen was, and now I was merely 3 inches tall, being captive in my friend's purse. What plagued me more than anything though, was the burning question on my mind...

"Where had Jen gone?"

What did she possibly have to do that I couldn't join her for. I certainly would've preferred to be in her care, since she understood what it was like to be small. The way Sarah was jostling her purse, I felt like I was going to be sick.

"Sarah!" I shouted, looking up and screaming through the tiny slit in the purse where her zipper hadn't quite closed me off from the outside world, "SARAH!!"

I sighed and fell backwards again, unable to stand upright for more than a few seconds. Sarah wasn't even running, she was just walking regular speed, but being in an area that was constantly moving became very disorienting for me. I started to feel light headed and eventually lost feeling in my legs, so I crashed in the corner, since it was at least easier to handle when laying down. Finally Sarah came to a stop, and put the purse on the ground. The only problem was, now the purse was sideways so I was forced to crawl towards the opening and once again shouted.

"SARAH!!"

Finally Sarah paused and looked down. She had been sitting down now, and we were by a large oak tree... well I guess everything was large now... but still, you get the idea. I meekly crawled out from the zipper hole which was just large enough for me to squeeze through. I look up at Sarah, out of breath.

"I'm sorry, were you saying something?" Sarah asked, and her voice rang in my ears loud and clear. My voice, by comparison was practically nothing. Realizing anything I said to Sarah would most likely be intercepted by the breeze, I wave my hands in the air and shout up to her, telling her to pick me up. Sarah nodded with acknowledgement and set her hand on the ground near where I was.

I climbed on and sat on my knees as she slowly pulled me up to her eye level. The whole time, I felt this dizzying feeling return as I was propelled several feet off the ground.

"Yes, Bobby?" Sarah asked finally, taking the tone that a parent would take with their little child.

"Sorry, I just needed a break" I said, between anguished breaths "It's not easy being small, yknow..."

"Oh I bet it's not..." Sarah smiled and then did something I didn't expect. She used her index finger to pat me on the head. The sensation startled me and I kind of gave her a glare, "...but you're handling yourself pretty well, little guy"

"Okay enough" I said, squatting down so she couldn't pat my head as easily, "I know I'm little... but... but not for long"

"I know" Sarah said, and then sort of transferred me to her other hand, looking me over more carefully, "I mean how often do you get a chance to be this little?"

"The real question..." I groaned, struggling to get free of her fingers as she kept trying to wrap them around me like a crane, "...is how often would I WANT to be this little..."

"Well think of it this way" Sarah said, finally managing to snag me between her index finger and thumb. "Jen was always the small one, right?"

"Yeah..." I said and then let out a small squeak as Sarah tightened her grip around my torso.

"Well, now you're the small one" Sarah continued.

"Okay..." I said, more focused on exactly what Sarah was doing with me as she brought me to her face again.

"So it's like you're getting her perspective..." Sarah explained, "yknow, girls like that"

"They...do?" I asked, as I looked straight down at the ground and hoped Sarah had been holding me tight enough and I wouldn't just slip through her fingers.

"Sure, I mean, a so called tough guy wouldve just been like 'no jen, you're gonna stay small, because I'm the man'!" Sarah said, doing a mocking male voice, "but not you, you were kind enough to give Jen the chance she wanted, even if it meant you losing a few inches"

"More like a few feet," I said and hooded my eyes down, unable to make eye contact with Sarah who had been holding me steady in front of her face for some time now. "What are you doing with me anyway?"

"I don't know, just holding you" Sarah said, resuming her playful time, "you're fun to play with"

"Play with... what do you..."

"Wheeee!" Sarah squealed and she suddenly moved her arms in a clockwise fashion, sending my world spinning, "you're a rocket ship!"

"No, stop!!" I screamed, as if I was on some kind of thrill ride. When she finally did stop I felt really queasy and groaned in discomfort as she set me down on her open palm.

"Are you okay?" Sarah asked.

"No..." I groaned and fell to my knees. I felt dizzy again and flopped onto her hand.

"Bobby?" Sarah said, this time in true concern. "Bobby... are you okay? Don't scare me like this..."

"I'm...fine..." I struggled to say, but I really wasn't fine. Everything I had gone through put me through a mental and physical roller coaster and I was so tired out, I just wanted to collapse, and wake up normal sized again.

"Bobby, I'm so sorry" Sarah said, as I staggered to my feet again, "I won't play with you anymore, I promise... I was just having fun, I hope you don't hate me now"

"I... I..." I said, still struggling for words. My world was still spinning even though Sarah was actually standing still and I was resting in her hand. I looked up and Sarah's face appeared to be quivering through my point of view, "I don't hate you"

"Okay" Sarah said and then sat down against the tree trunk again, with me in her hand. "Here, would you like a better view?"

Before I could even answer, Sarah gently lifted me up further and at first I was scared but eventually realized she wouldn't drop me, as she set me down on her shoulder. I sighed in relief.

"Are you comfy there, Bobby?" Sarah asked, brushing her auburn hair away so she could get a better look at me. I looked back at her and nodded. Her shoulder acted as sort of a bench for me, and the tree trunk was a backing in case I lost my balance.

"So... what are we doing out here anyway?" I asked. I thought it was pretty bizarre that we were just sitting by a tree, overlooking the ocean. Then again, just about everywhere at Avery Point overlooked the ocean.

"I come out here a lot..." Sarah explained, looking out at the ocean, instead of at me, "I come out here to relax and just observe..."

And it was then I remembered something Jen had said, about how much clearer the details were when one was small. I thought about all the exploration she was capable of and all the things she said she could see. Being normal size made those kinds of observations harder.

"You sure you're alright?" Sarah asked again, in a softer tone so she wouldn't startle me.

"Yeah..." I said, in sort of a spaced out way, looking down at the grass and the dirt path and the tree. The tree trunk's grooves seemed to be several feet high and each blade of grass appeared to have it's own personality. Some blades of grass were miniscule, while others stretched upwards triumphantly, full of color and life. The dirt path was both magestic and rigid in it's appearance. It stretched on for a while, but it had no clear organization. The path was by no means straight and had many imperfections in it, including littered bottle caps and chunks of glass at various intervals. I sighed and looked at Sarah. She was looking out at the ocean and I was about eye level with her neck. The sound of the ocean waves crashing on rocks in the distance kind of soothed my trouble mind, but through it all, I still had the same questions on my mind... how long would I be this size? where had Jen gone, and what would I do in the meantime?

"I'm sorry..." I said, finally, getting Sarah's attention as she panned her eyes back towards me.

"Sorry about what?" she asked.

"Sorry that you got stuck taking care of me..." I sighed. "I'm glad you're taking it so well, but I mean, I'm pretty helpless like this, and well, I don't know how long you'll have to take care of me... so... thanks"

"No problem" Sarah said, giving me a warm smile, "I certainly wouldn't want anything bad to happen to you... I mean, no matter what size you were... but seeing you like this, well it certainly was shocking at first, but... I don't know, you're still the same friend you've always been and I shouldve treated you better in the beginning..."

"It's fine" I chuckled, "I am pretty funny looking"

"It's not that, it's just... different" Sarah said, "but you've always been different"

"This is true" I admitted.

"Well..." Sarah said, putting her hand a bit below her shoulder, "step on"

"Huh?"

"Well Im certainly not going to sit here all day" Sarah chuckled, leaving her hand before me, "now cmon, we got stuff to do"

"Like what?" I asked.

"You'll see" Sarah said, and I slowly stepped down from her shoulder and onto her hand. I lay down on her hand as she transferred me back down towards her purse, "is it okay if I keep you in here? I promise you won't be in there long"

"It's fine" I sighed and she put me inside her purse and zipped it halfway before walking again. I was beginning to get used to this lifestyle already and it had only been half an hour. I only hoped this wouldn't become a more permanent arrangement. Sarah had been as nice as could be hoped for, but others probably wouldn't be as nice if they saw me like this.

"So..." Sarah announced, after some time had gone by, "I was thinking we could go to the mall... what do you think? Up for a little road trip"

I looked out through the zipper slot to notice Sarah's car, vaguely. I sighed and finally said "sure"

"Excellent" Sarah said, opening the door to her car, "let's get going then..."

"Sure" I sighed with indifference, all the while thinking "Jen, where are you?"