- Text Size +
"My little friend"

by Sonicfan287

Chapter 17: A tiny predicament


Sarah takes me into her car and I instantly feel a dramatic increase in temperature... maybe it was because her purse had very little air circulation but it was more than likely because the 70 degree weather had thoroughly baked the interior of the car.

"S-Sarah..." I gasped, as the heat strangled me at every turn. I look up and hope to be let out soon. Finally, the zipper is slid to the right and Sarah gently removes me, setting me down on her cup holder. I sigh with relief. I was still hot, but not as hot, as she had cracked a window.

"Yeah, I know" Sarah said, fumbling for her key, "it's really hot in here"

I sigh and look way up at Sarah. From where I sat, her face was obscured by her arm reaching for the steering wheel.

"You okay?" Sarah asked, somehow picking up on my miniscule sigh as she turned the key to her car.

"Yeah, I suppose" I said, and stared down at the black plastic surfacing around me. The cup holder's rims came up to about my waist so I was pretty secure, and the small grooves on the edges provided me something to lean on, since I wasn't comfortable to just sit or lay down. Looking straight ahead, I can see the console of the car, rising above me like a skyscraper, topped by 2 massive air vents. Finally, Sarah speaks.

"So, you want some A/C?" she asked.

"Sure" I said, and leaned back, realizing it wouldn't do me much good right now. The air vents were several feet above my head and even on full blast, I'd only feel some of the residual air from the conditioning. Realizing this, Sarah cranes one of the vents down, but this produces an opposite effect. I feel myself get blasted by high speed air. "Sarah, tone it down"

"Oh sorry" Sarah said and cranked the A/C down a couple settings but she had been a bit too late. My hair was messed up beyond belief.

"Thanks..." I sigh and at this point the car had already been mobile, and we were now leaving the Avery Point parking lot, off for parts unknown. Okay, so I knew them, but I thought that'd sound more adventurous.

"So Bobby..." Sarah said, but it was harder to hear her with the wind and various vibrations around me. "We're still cool, right?"

"Huh?" I asked, and then returned my attention to her again, "yeah, of course"

"Okay, because..." Sarah began and I guess she went on some rambling speech about the importance of our friendship, because I can't remember too much more after that. My mind became entrenched in thoughts of Jen and life in general. Suddenly, Sarah's voice returned, "y'know what Im saying?"

"Yeah... sure" I said in a disrupted tone, and Sarah kinda frowned and looked away. "No, no, seriously I'm not mad at you, I was just..."

"No, it's okay" Sarah said, now focusing more on the road, which I guess is what she should be doing anyway, "I know you got a lot on your mind and all..."

"You said it, sister..."I said, all the while looking up at Sarah, well what I could see of her. She was so huge now, I couldn't even fathom that she was another human being. Her hand, rested on her lap, looked about twice the size of my body, and ... well I guess the whole experience made me greater appreciate my old 5'7 height.

"But don't worry Bobby" Sarah said, and suddenly perked up, "because I know you pretty well, and I know that you enjoy a good trip to the mall..."

"This is true" I replied.

"So with that said..." Sarah said, and slowed the car. "I present to you... the Crystal Mall!"

A few seconds went by before I looked up at her and said, "uh, y'know that I can't really see out the windows too well..."

"Oh right" she said, and gently rested her 2 cupped hands in front of me. I jumped in and she rose me up to the dashboard so I could see the giant mall in front of me... well actually the mall was always bigger than me, because that's how buildings are, but now it looked even more gargantuan.

"So what are we going to do here?" I finally asked.

"Well, you'll have to see... but first I do want to get some shopping done on my own" Sarah said, "Im sure you won't mind"

"I don't think I have a choice" I sighed.

"Nope" she smiled playfully and then slid me back into her purse which was now fully open so I had more air.

"Where are we going?" I shouted, having to yell straight up so Sarah could hear me through the purse.

"I'm going to Hollister's" Sarah explained, gently rocking the purse to and fro as she walked. It was at least a little easier to get used to this time around, and because I could see more clearly through the open purse, I didn't feel so much motion sickness.

"What's at Hollisters?" I asked, after a moment's hesitation.

"Clothes, silly" she answered, and walked in through the mall entrance. As we walked, I saw snippets of giant figures walking past us. Even little kids were much larger than me, from where I sat in Sarah's purse.
I look down at my phone and check for missed calls... nothing. Jen didn't even try to call me in all this time, and I had no idea where she was or what she was doing. I guess it didn't matter since I'd remain this small for as long as she was gone anyway but I still wish she would at least keep in touch like she said she would.

Maybe I didn't matter to her after all... I sighed, but then perished the thought from my mind. After all, based on how difficult it was for her to open up to anyone, the last week had shown me just how much she did care about me, and I'm the one who offered to do this for her, she never forced me into it. If being small was the price to pay for loving her, then so be it.

Still... I became worried as I continued to not hear from her.

"Okay Bobby" Sarah said, strolling into Hollister's, past the giant manequins, "we're here"

Of course, I would've known we were there even before she told me, just by hearing the up tempo music and smelling the musk of teenage perfume. Hollister's was exactly the opposite of the kind of stores I frequented. The only way in which I was trendy was in video games, and even that wasn't completely true as I often bought old school games from the 90s. Still, as long as I was safe and protected inside her purse, going to Hollister's was pretty inconsequential.

"Hey, what do you think of this one?" Sarah whispered, looking down at me in the purse. Obviously she hadn't wanted to draw a lot of attention to the tiny figure dwelling in her purse. From where I stood, I saw her holding up a large red tank top with sequins around the neck line.

"It looks nice" I said, although in actuality, they all looked the same to me, especially hollister's clothing, where they shamelessly plaster their name all over the shirts.

"Well, I got a few options" Sarah said, revealing a few more shirts she had cradled in her arms. Again, I had no opinion to offer here, "well I guess the only way to know for sure is to try them on"

"You mean we're going to the fitting rooms?" I asked, as I felt her change direction with her purse.

"Duh" she chuckled, and we walked into a more silent area which I deduced to be the fitting room. She set the purse in the corner of the room and hung some shirts on a rack. "Now, Bobby, can I trust you not to peek?"

"Of course" I said.

"Hmm..." she said and then gave me a slight smile. "I know you too well Bobby, I don't even want to tempt you"

"Huh?" I gasped and then noticed the zipper rapidly closing out the light for me, "wait NO!"

I sighed when I realized she had zippered the purse completely shut, so now I was really trapped. I honestly wasn't going to look... okay maybe a peek... but now I could barely see anything. I decide to give myself some light to open my cell phone, and I also double check for calls or texts from Jen. I decided, at last, to send her a text.

"Hey, how r u?" i wrote and closed my phone. Yeah it was dorky, but I had to open a dialogue somehow. I had only hoped that she was really happy because I sure wasn't doing too well on my end.

"Okay, you can look now" Sarah said.

"Uh.. it's not really up to me" I sighed, still looking up at darkness.

"Oh right" she said, "sorry"

She unzipped the purse and I was nearly floored by how beautiful she looked. She was wearing a denim skirt with the red tank top. Her legs stretched upwards like tree trunks until they were concealed by the denim, and from there, the vibrant red of her tank top stood out and brought out the tan complexion of her skin. Even though I couldn't see her face too well from my position, her eyes definitely complimented the ensemble.

"You like?" she asked.

I had no idea what to say.

"Okay, keep your tongue in, Bobby" Sarah laughed and then rezipped the purse, getting changed again.

"I guess I'll go with this red one" I heard her say through the purse. After some time passed, she said, "okay, Bobby, I'm ready to go"


"Joy" I said, as she slightly unzipped the purse again so I could see.

"Oh cmon, it wasnt that bad" Sarah said, "normally I spend hours in here"

As Sarah rang out her latest clothing purchase, I became all too curious and looked down at my cell phone again. At least my phone had inexpliquably shrunk down with me. It was nice to hold something in MY hand for a change. Unfortunately, Jen hadn't replied back yet. I hoped nothing happened to her, which is ironic, because I only used to worry about her when she was fairy sized and now I was the one trapped in a purse.

"Hey Bobby, I have an idea" Sarah said suddenly.

"Yeah?" I asked, partly interested, partly scared, as usual.

"Well would it be more roomy for you if I put you in my shopping bag, instead of my purse?" Sarah asked.

"Hmm..." I said contemplating it. It probably would be since she had a rather large white bag. The bag was deep too so I wouldn't feel as prone to falling out, plus unlike the purse, it didn't hang haphazardly from her shoulder. "Sure"

"Okay, just give me a second" Sarah said, and I heard her open and close a few doors before squatting down somewhat. I then realized we were in the ladies room.

"What are we doing here?" I asked, kind of surprised.

"I just needed a private place to make the transfer" Sarah said and slowly lifted me from the purse, "now hang on, this may be bumpy"

Sarah slid me into the bag and it was about a 10 foot drop for me as I slid down the edges of the paper bag. I landed awkrardly and collapsed into a pile of clothing.

"You okay?" she asked.

"Yeah fine" I said, and looked up through the clothes, eventually surfacing myself to the top to see through the top of the bag. Too bad all I could see was Sarah at an angle and the ceiling. "So now where are we?"

"In one of your favorite stores" Sarah said, "Macy's... more specifically the furniture department"

"Ah right..." I said, although it didn't do me much good to observe the furniture I usually browsed through if I was being held captive in a shopping bag. "But now what are we going to do?"

"Well now... we're gonna go for a ride"

"Huh?"

"Whee!" Sarah squeaked and suddenly took off running, trying to give me some kind of thrill ride.

"Sarah!!" I screamed, being tossed backwards into some shirts.

"Oh calm down" Sarah said, still skipping along the path. I guess there had been noone in her way. "It's not like... whoa!"

"Sarah?" I asked and then felt a jarring thud and was thrown nearly out of the bag. Actually, I was out of the bag as clothes spilled all over the floor.

"Oh man, I'm so sorry" Sarah said.

"It's okay, it's fine" the other girl chuckled, but I couldn't see either of them from where I was. I had been tangled up in a shirt and was feeling very claustophobic. I wanted to scream for help, but I didn't want to startle the other girl.

"Okay, here this was mine..." the other girl said and began picking some things up. Sarah too was picking things up and then I felt myself get lifted, shirt and all up towards another bag. I landed in the bag with an awkrard thump and slowly stirred. I had to finagle myself out of the clothes or I may suffocate. Sarah could be so clumsy sometimes.

I throw a bunch of shirts away from my body, and finally shove a long red sleeve off me as if it were a python and scream, "Hey Sarah, I told you that was a bad idea!"

Suddenly, my bag stopped moving altogether. I couldn't tell if I had pissed off Sarah or what.

"S-Sarah?" I asked again, feeling nervous. Why wasn't she answering? I looked down and saw a lime green t-shirt and black jeans. Those weren't Sarah's clothes...

"S-Sarah?" I asked again, hoping that what I thought had happened, hadn't just happened, but the continued silence only confirmed my fears. I then looked down at my cell phone which was vibrating. The screen read "INCOMING CALL: SARAH"

"Bobby?" I heard a female voice say. It was the other girl... oh no. It couldn't be.

KIM?!?!

She set the bag down and I backed away nervous, trying to hide under the t-shirt or anything, but I was too late. From my position I saw a smiling black haired girl staring down at me with joy. It was Kim!

"Oh, this is TOO perfect!" she chuckled, and reached her hand into the bag.

"No, please, stop!" I gasped, but it was too late. She had grasped me around the waist like Sarah had before, except she showed no mercy in hoisting me up before her staring brown eyes.

"This is great!" she laughed, "my ex-boyfriend is reduced to nothing but a toy!"

"K-Kim, please..." I said, unable to even speak to her. Part of me was still furious at her for everything she had done in the past but a bigger part of me was terrorfied by what she had planned for the future...

"Ha, this is great" she repeated and leaned against a wall with me in her palm. "So how'd you get so small huh?"

I hated this, even when we were going out, Kim used to like to rub things in your face... like if something bad happened to you she always wanted to tease you about it and know everything about it... well not this time. I folded my arms in defiance and turned away from her jeering face.

"HUH? HOW'D YOU GET SO SMALL, BOBBY?" she laughed, "look at you, so tiny! I could just squish you right now... how'd it happen, huh? How'd you get so tiny and small?"

"Stop it!" I shouted, "I'm not gonna tell you, I don't have to tell you, stop bullying me and leave me alone!"


"Wrong answer!" she chuckled and suddenly threw me several feet into the air and caught me.

"Noooo!" I screamed, landing sideways back onto her hand, feeling dizzy.

"This is fun!" Kim said, and threw me up into the air again, barely catching me this time. "So ya gonna tell me?"

The truth was, at that point I could barely even talk. As I flipped around in midair, I let out a scream as my cell phone fell out of my pocket, landing on the hard floor below and shattering.

"Aw, ain't that a shame..." Kim chuckled and this time gave me a moment to rest. "So... you gonna tell me?"

"NO!!" I asked, tears had been in my eyes now, both from stress and from the wind blowing in them from all the tossing. "I hope you're enjoying this..."

"Oh I am" Kim smiled and wrapped her whole hand around me, so only my legs were free to kick in mid-air, but to no avail. "I hope you stay this size forever. I hope you stay tiny forever"

As she spoke, I began to fear that might be a possibility. With my cell phone shattered and no way to get in touch with Jen, I'd have no way to reverse this, and Kim wasn't gonna just let me go.

"Wouldn't that be great?" Kim smiled, but I could only stare at her, appalled and scared. "If you stayed tiny forever? I think that'd be great"

"No, I don't think thatd be great" I sighed, and finally started to choke up a little. I hadn't talked to Kim for months and this was the first time I had seen her for a while and hopefully the last. "I only did this..."

I then stopped talking altogether. I didn't want to tell Kim about the story behind this. Instead I just let a single tear trickle from my eyes and splash onto her hand.

"Oh geez, are you actually crying?" Kim sighed, and suddenly began losing some of her mean streak. I mean, we had dated for 2 years so she probably didn't want me to actually get hurt. "Look, just tell me how it happened"

"No" I said again, giving her a sort of glare as I turned away. She still had me grasped pretty tightly and could pretty much do whatever she wanted to me, but I didn't care. It was embarassing enough that she had to see me like this and even more embarassing that she was seeing me cry. I wasn't going to tell her anything more than that.

"Fine" Kim said, sounding more serious this time, but still angry, "but if you won't tell me how it happened, don't expect me to try to help you"

"Help me? But you..."

"Nope, forget it" Kim sighed and dropped me back in her bag. I stared up in shock. Why hadn't she kept torturing me? She said nothing else for a while and I was left with nothing but my thoughts and my tears.