- Text Size +
"My little friend"

by Sonicfan287

Chapter 18: Small revelations

The silence on the way back to Kim's car -- at least I assumed that's where she was taking me, probably to have some not so pleasant alone time with me -- was both soothing and frightening. On one hand, it was nice to be left alone for a change.

My life had entered into so much chaos when I became fairy sized, between Sarah constantly poking and prodding at me and just the constant commotion of being carried around everywhere. Sure, even now, Kim's bag gently rocked, with me nestled in between her green t-shirt and slacks, but I didn't really notice too much, and I was very frightened of what Kim would do to me now.

As I'm moving, I lean forward somewhat to try to see Kim, see if she looked angry, happy or whatever but I couldn't tell. I could only see up the side of her arm and her hair left her face concealed from my point of view. She seemed more than pleased to see me so tiny, but for some reason, I still wasn't going to beg for mercy... after all, I had spent enough time doing that during our relationship.

Of course, now with my cell phone destroyed, I had no idea how I'd get in touch with Jen again... if I told Kim about all this, she'd probably laugh at me and then do everything in her power to ensure I never saw Jen again, so that I could stay this size forever... why couldn't just one thing work out the way I planned?

Before I could continue my inner monologue, I felt an abrupt stop and was cast back into the shirts, hugging the sleeve for protection. I gasped and looked up to see Kim once again sneering down at me.

"So..." she began, lifting the bag up and placing it on the floor of her passenger seat, "are you gonna tell me?"

I sighed and looked away before saying "can you please just stop? I told you I didn't want to tell you..."

As I spoke, I cautiously looked up at Kim, not sure whether or not to see anger or sadness or whatever emotions she had. What she ended up saying kind of shocked me, considering the person I knew her as.

"Fine" she shrugged and plugged her key into the ignition, starting her car, which awoke with a great bellow. I looked up at her puzzled... why did she all of a sudden not care?

Then it hit me.

This was just another mind game she liked to play... she thought if she acted like she didn't care to know, I'd spill my guts to her, like some form of reverse psychology... well I wasn't biting... then again, who was I kidding? Whether I told her or not, I was screwed... there was no way out of this. But telling her would only give her the satisfaction of once again breaking me down. Ugh...

"So..." Kim said, after moments of silence had passed, "you uh... like being small?"

Obviously that was some kind of joke.

"No... no I don't" I said, deciding to play along for now.

"So then... how'd it happen?" Kim asked again, this time not in her usual teasing way but in a more sincere way. I looked up at her with conflicting thoughts in my head... to tell her or not to tell her...

"I'm...not gonna say" I said finally, unable to look her in the eye. Just then the car jerked to a stop. I looked up at her, startled and confused.

"Okay, this is getting ridiculous!" Kim shouted, after having pulled us over to the side of the road, angrily glaring down at my helpless self in her shopping bag.

"Huh?"

"Yeah, you heard me! I find you freakin' 3 inches tall and you won't even tell me how it HAPPENED!" Kim shouted.

"What does it matter?" I asked.

"It matters because..."

"Because?"

"Because I freakin' care about you, okay?" Kim shouted. "I know you got this THING against me... I guess I can't blame you, but yknow what, if I was in YOUR situation, I'd definitely want some help, but no you can't even put the past behind you for 2 SECONDS, to tell me how this happened to you... you weren't even going to ask me for help"

"Well I'm sorry the first thing on my mind wasn't 'hey let me call my good buddy KIM up now that I'm tiny'!" I shouted. I didn't mean to get angry at her but I was.

"Ugh forget it, you're hopeless" Kim said, and pulled back onto the main road, "you know that? You're absolutely hopeless..."

"Yeah yeah" I said, and turned away, burying myself under the sleeve of the t-shirt. I didn't even want to look at her right now. I just wanted to hide away and hoped this would all end soon, and I'd wake up regular sized again, with Jen normal sized too. Then we'd go out together and we could have a great time and I wouldn't have to think about Kim or any of this stress.



Of course, it wouldn't be that easy... a few minutes later, Kim arrives at her house, which isn't the same place I remembered.

"You moved?" I asked, as she picked up the shopping bag.

"Yeah, maybe you'd know that if you ever talked to me..." Kim sighed, "I moved out of my parents' place last year, I'm living on my own here"

"Oh... that's... nice" I said, feeling bad for snapping at her earlier. I still refused to tell her anything more than what I already had though.

Kim left the bag on the ground in front of her door and fumbled for her house keys. Finally she stopped and glared down at me again.

"Actually... yknow what?" she said, in kind of a pissed off tone. She knelt down and reached her into the bag again. I looked up at her with fear but assumed she wouldn't seriously hurt me, so I was a bit more willing to be picked up this time. She lifted me up around the waist and stared at me. I tried to keep my calm, but my heart was racing. I had no idea what she had in mind right now.

"Wh-what are you gonna do to me?" I asked finally. She wasn't smiling or frowning, she was just staring.

"Nothing" she said.

"Huh?"

"Well if you're not gonna tell me anything why should I? Why should I bother even being your friend?" Kim asked.

"Friend? What friend? Kim, we haven't talked for a year and a half" I said.

"Yeah because you won't let us" Kim answered, "and even so, you were always stubborn, I mean look at you, 3 inches tall and you won't even ask me for help... that's all you gotta do, just ask me for help..."

A few moments passed.

"I'm not asking you to beg me... I'm not even asking you to like me..." Kim said, "just ask me for help, say 'Kim I need your help', that's all you gotta do"

I looked away with a scowl on my face. I wasn't going to play into her talk. She acted nice now but the second I told her anything, the mockery would begin again. I could never trust her.

"Okay, okay, fine" Kim said and walked off to her front yard, setting me down somewhere in the tall grass.

"Wh-What are you doing?" I asked, looking up at her and then around at my surroundings which consisted of mostly darkness between the tall stalks of grass.

"I'm giving up... since you obviously have" Kim said, and now stood all the way up, so she stood several feet higher than me.

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"I'm leaving you here, Bobby, that's it" Kim said, "have a nice life"

"You can't be serious" I said, beginning to get nervous. I wouldn't last more than a day out in this yard and with no way to contact anyone, I was trapped. If I even tried to escape the yard, I'd have to cross the street and get massacred by oncoming traffic.

"Oh but I am" Kim said, and then flashed me a smile as she walked off.

As she started walking over, the feeling of anxiety inside me grew. I didn't even care about Jen at this point, or Kim, or anyone in particular... I just wanted to scream. I just wanted to survive. I didn't want to become food for some bigger animal and I certainly didn't want to die in Kim's front yard.

"KIM WAIT!!" I screamed, the words unable to hold themselves in any longer. She turned back.

"Yes, little Bobby?" she said, knowing her ploy had been victorious. Whether she was bluffing or not, I didn't want to risk my life about some silly feud I had with her. I at least knew that whatever humiliation she had in mind for me wouldn't kill me.

"K-Kim... I... I..."

"I'm listening" she said, smiling as she folded her arms and looked down at me in the grass.

"I...I... need your help" I said and hung my head in shame.

"Yes" she said, "Yes you do"

I then stayed silent before saying, "...but... I don't blame you if you don't want to help me..."

She then got down on her knees and looked at me before she smiled. She put her hand down in front of me and said "get on"

I looked up at her questioningly.

"C'mon, I haven't got all day" she chuckled. I continued to look up at her face even as I stumbled onto her hand. She lifted me gently and brought me inside the house.

She flicked on the light switch and her house actually was pretty nice from inside.

"Not a bad place..." I said, still feeling incredibly jarred by everything that had just happened.

She set the bag down on the counter and said, "Thanks"

She then proceeded to put me down on her kitchen counter as she went towards her refridgerator.

"So... you hungry?" she asked.

"A little, actually... it's been hard to eat since... well... yknow" I said.

"Oh I do... well tell ya what, I'll cut us an apple, but first..." she said, and then squatted down so her face was level with the counter, "first, you gotta tell me how this happened to you..."

I sighed.

"C'mon... pleeease?" she said in a childish voice. I kinda laughed and finally decided to give in.

"Okay, but is it okay if I leave out names?" I asked.

"Fine whatever, just go" Kim said.

"Ok... well there was this girl..." I started.

"Ooh, do tell" Kim said.

"Oh... nothing serious, I just y'know... was kinda crushing on her and..."

"Ooh what was her name?" she asked in anticipation.

"I said I'm not using names" I repeated.

"Fine fine" Kim sighed, rolling her eyes.

"Anyway this girl wasn't like other girls... she was kinda... well... smaller..." I explained.

"You mean YOUR height" Kim smiled.

"Yes... my height... anyway, I met her one day at Avery Point and... I don't know, for some reason I just really took to her" I continued.

"You mean, you were in LOVE with a girl that was 3 inches tall?" Kim asked.

"Yes..."

"So you wanted to go out with her then?" Kim asked.

"Yeah... I kinda did..." I said, drifting off.

"WAIT... if she was 3 inches tall, and you were normal height... how could you 2...?"

"OK, ENOUGH!" I shouted, although that question baffled me as well. "Anyway, I was..."

"I mean, if you made out with her, you'd pretty much EAT her... gross..." Kim said, continuing her previous ramble.

"Okay I get it!" I said "Can I finish..."

"Okay okay"

"Anyway..." I said, and then took a couple seconds to make sure Kim didn't have any moe disgusting questions, "I really cared for her and it was her birthday...today actually..."

"So then why aren't you with her?" Kim asked.

"Well... see, this is kinda my... gift... to her" I sighed, not really sure how to explain this next part. "I guess I should've mentioned in the beginning... this girl... is a ... um... fairy"

"A fairy?" Kim asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Yes, and in fairy tradition... I guess it's possible for..."

"So hold on hold on, this girl told you she was a FAIRY?" Kim asked.

"Yes, for the last freakin time, she's a fairy" I said.

"Wow, and I thought I was gullible" Kim said.

"Well if you look at me... it's not that hard to believe... she was once my size, but we switched..." I explained.

"You mean...?"

"Yes, I let her be my size, in exchange I became HER size, that's the short version of it..." I sighed.

"Looks to me like YOU'RE the short version of it" Kim chuckled.

"Ok, enough, stop laughing at me" I said.

"I'm sorry but... Bobby..." she said, finally, actually sounding serious but then she stopped talking.

"What?" I said, looking up at her again.

"Bobby... I don't know how to tell you this, but..."

"Just say it!" I shouted.

"You got tricked" Kim said.

"What do you mean?"

"Oh c'mon, do I have to spell it out for you?" Kim said, "some girl you barely know who's 3 inches high says she's a fairy..."

"Well how many 3 inch people do you know that AREN'T fairies?" I asked, and then realized that made no sense at all.

"Bobby, fairies arent real... fairies are in Peter Pan and cartoons... I don't know what she is, but she sure was clever..." Kim explained.

"What do you mean, clever?" I asked.

"Ugh it's so obvious! But then again you werent good at reading girls and their motives..." Kim continued.

"What motives?"

"Think about this for a second... she was tiny... you were big... you liked her, she probably picked up on that..." Kim explained, and so far she made sense, "so...?"

"So...?"

"Bobby, she tricked you... she knew you'd do this for her... so now you're STUCK tiny and she's running around, freakin 6 feet tall!" Kim said.

"5'6..." I said.

"Whatever, the point is... you're screwed, I'm not trying to be mean..." Kim said.

"I'm not screwed..." I said, getting defensive.

"Oh really?" Kim asked, getting kinda sarcastic now, "Bobby... if this girl cared about you SOOO much, why isn't she with you? Where is she?"

"I... I don't know..." I said, suddenly feeling frozen. I then started to feel myself sinking inside... Kim was right. Where had she gone?

"Did she say how long you'd have to stay small?" Kim asked.

"A... A day or two..." I answered.

"Yeah, that's not happening..." Kim said.

"What do you mean? You don't even know her!" I shouted.

"I don't have to know her, because I have common sense!" Kim yelled, "Bobby... if someone's 5'6 or whatever, they're not going to go up to you and say 'hi, little person, I'd really like to be 3 inches tall'! Now you did it, because you'll fall for any pretty face, but she's not going to! She'd be stupid to do that, noone's gonna become tiny if they have a choice!"

"Th-thats not true..." I shuddered, and realized Kim may have been right. Jen hated being small so much... but would she have done this to me on purpose. I'm the one who forced it out of her... she didn't want to... but Kim was right... where had Jen gone? I begin to get very afraid, so Kim changes the subject.

"Hey, I'll get us that apple now..." Kim said and took out a granny smith apple from her fridge, before turning on the sink, "I really didn't mean to hurt your feelings or anything... I just... don't know if I can help you..."

"Well just let me use your phone and call her... and then we'll see... I'll tell her what happened and we'll set things right..." I said, but I was more of just trying to calm myself down.

"Okay, you can call her in a second" Kim said, cutting up the apple, "but first, hold on tight"

"Huh, for what?" I asked, and then I yelped as Kim put her hands around my waist suddenly and startled me. She lifted me up and put me on the plate next to the giant apple slices, before taking me to her arm chair in the living room. She set me down nearby.

"Hope I didn't spook ya too much" Kim smiled and seemed to be more of joking than trying to hurt me.

"No... no you didnt" I answered, but was unable to force a laugh myself. I had been tricked by girls before, and ironically one of those girls was sitting right before me.

"Here, here's my cell phone" Kim said, and laid it down on the table. "Do you want me to dial it for ya?"

"No" I said, defensively, as I walked over to the cell phone, flipping it open with all my strength, "I can do it"

"Whatever you say" Kim said and turned on her TV. She began flipping through channels as I dialed Jen's number. It rang many times.

"Oh wow, they found this girl..." Kim said, suddenly absorbed in the news, "she'd been missing for a while...thought she was dead"

I barely paid attention as I waited for Jen to pick up, but got nowhere... suddenly the phone went to voicemail.

"Hi, you've reached the voicemail of Jen, please leave a message..."

I sighed and hung up.

"Her name is Jen?" Kim asked.

"Yeah, Jen..." I said, looking up at Kim, "why?"

"I don't suppose her last name is... Crandall..." Kim asked.

I actually had no clue what her last name was... for some reason it never came up.

"Wh-Why would you ask that?" I asked, utterly confused.

"Uh... you better watch this" Kim said, and pointed to the TV. On the news was the following headline.

"JENNY CRANDALL, AGE 19, FOUND BY PARENTS TODAY"

On the screen, news reporters were interviewing someone's tearful parents. Then the camera panned over, and revealed her... JEN.

"What...the...hell...?"