- Text Size +
"My little friend"

by Sonicfan287

Chapter 19: Miniature Apologies

"Young Jenny Crandall went missing in 2006..." the newscaster read, "and police gave up the search in early 2008 after there was no evidence of a body or any trace of her for almost 2 years... now she's mysteriously resurfaced, although sources say, she's still too distraught to tell anyone about the cause of her dissapearance..."

Then the camera panned over again to show the "fairy" named Jenny Crandall.

"I'm just so happy to be back with my family" she said, through tearful eyes as she looked up at her mom and smiled, "It's been a very trying 3 years but I'm glad to be back with my loved ones..."

Finally, Kim muted the TV and looked down at me sitting on her table, alongside her recliner. I stared at the TV with a blank stare, before I finally hung my head in shame.

"Bobby?" she said, "Are you...okay?"

I didn't answer, I just let myself collapse into a sitting position and watched Jen speak through a muted TV screen, all the while wondering just what was going on. I couldn't believe it...

My heart turned to glass in that moment, and every second I watched Jen's testimony on TV was another stone being cast. I really didn't want Kim or anyone to see me cry but I could almost take no more... the one girl I thought was a good friend of mine, that I thought I could trust... and now I was most likely stuck doll sized forever for it.

"Bobby? C'mon... snap out of it!" I heard Kim say, temporarily breaking my state of depression. I looked up at her and gave her the fakest smile I've given anyone.

"I'm fine" I said, and then turned my attention back towards the TV.

"Hmmm..." Kim sighed, also watching the TV attentively, with sound still turned off. Just then, the camera angle panned out to show their house... a 2 story bricked house with a well manicured yard. Kim suddenly froze the picture.

"What are you doing?" I asked.

"Just getting a good luck at this house... it looks familiar..." Kim said, "did she tell you where she lives?"

"No, Kim, she didn't tell me anything... besides the fact that she was a fairy named JEN" I sighed, and hid my face from view.

"Bobby, you're gonna have to help me out here if you expect to ever return to normal size" Kim said.

"What's the point?" I sighed, and at this point I was crying but I didn't want her to see. "Even if I find her... I can't ask her to give up her family so that I can be tall again..."

"But what about YOUR family?" Kim asked, "what about your friends? What about YOURSELF? Geez, Bobby... you can't give all that up because of some girl..."

Kim was right, and yet, actually seeing Jen truly happy was refreshing for a change. She probably wasn't even thinking about me, or Avery Point, or any of the times we spent together... not that I blamed her... it mustve been nice to finally be back together with her family.

"Okay, I got an idea" Kim said, standing up, "since you don't seem to be thinking of anything"

"Huh? Where are you going?" I asked, standing up and looking up at her.

"I'm going to my computer..." Kim explained, "certainly, if this was such a big news story back in 2006, she must be from around here, and there must be a way to find out where she lives..."

"Isn't that stalking?" I asked.

"It's either stalking, or you spend the rest of your life at that size..." Kim sighed, "pick one"

"Okay... the first one..." I sighed, and then watched Kim continue walking away before I said, "HEY! Don't forget me!"

"Oh sorry" she said, and left her hand under the table so I'd have a good position to climb onto it. The whole time though, I was partly paranoid that she'd move her hand at the last second and I'd faceplant into her carpet. Luckily she didn't do that. I looked up at her and smiled nervously. I felt like I had to be grateful for what Kim was doing for me. Ironically, if Sarah still had me in her possession, I probably WOULD have stayed small forever... not that I was guaranteed anything now. At the same time, there was something about this whole thing that was very unsettling... Kim and I hadn't gotten along for such a long time... why would she be so intent on helping me? And worse yet, if I couldn't be restored to normal, despite her best efforts, would I be forced to live out the rest of my existence as her pet? I look up at her nervously and wonder, before she finally sets me down on her mouse pad, which feels like shag carpetting.

Kim sat down at her computer and let out a heavy sigh. I looked up at her.

"What's wrong?" I asked.

"Nothing" she said.

"C'mon, what's the matter?" I said, standing up and looking more serious this time.

She smiled and said, "Why should I tell you?"

"Oh, just tell me" I said.

"Ok ok..." Kim said, as her computer booted up, "I just think this whole thing is kinda... sad..."

"Well, no duh it's sad..." I sighed.

"No, you didn't let me finish" Kim continued, "I think it's sad that you had to be shrunk and come in contact with me to ever talk to me again... I mean, we were friends for 4 years and we dated for 2 of them..."

"Yeah..." I said, glancing down at the mouse pad. I had to admit she was right, but in all honesty, making up with Kim wasn't my top priority at the moment.


"Anyway..." Kim said, her mouth transforming into a monotone serious state, devoid of emotion, "it's no big deal... let's just figure this out..."

I frowned and looked down. Kim had been nice enough to take me into her house and was trying everything she could to help me regain my normal size. I owed her something for all of her efforts.

"I'm sorry..." I whispered, my eyes still focuses on the outer edge of her mouse pad as I spoke.

"Huh?" Kim said, pausing the movement of her mouse.

"Nothing" I sighed and let her continue her research, even if what she was trying to find was beyond me at this point.

"Okay... I think I got it!" Kim exclaimed, "She lives in Groton, about 10 minutes from Avery Point!"

"That would explain how she got on the news so fast..." I mumbled.

"Okay..." Kim said, very methodical as she took out a scrap of paper and jotted down the address, "all we need to do is find this place..."

A few seconds went by before I finally added, "and then what?"

Kim sighed, and leaned her head against her hands as she propped her elbows onto the desk. The vibration startled me for a second, but I got over it quickly. I looked up at her and she looked down at me with a sad look in her eyes.

"Bobby... I don't know if this will work, to be honest..." Kim said, speaking softly as her voice cracked. "All I can do is drive you there, and hopefully you can get a chance to talk to her, and maybe... just maybe, she'll have the heart to change you back, but... I just don't know..."

"Are you okay?" I asked, looking up at Kim. She leaned back in surprise, taking her elbows off the desk.

"Am I okay?" she asked, startled, "since when do you care if I'm okay? I mean, even in normal circumstances you never cared, but you actually have a serious problem, and me... I'm just..."

"Just what?"

"Just letting my emotions get the best of me" Kim said and flashed me an extra wide smile. I frowned and then quickly adjusted my mouth into a smile as well, but I had no idea why either of us were smiling.

"So..." I sighed, letting my mind drift back to the problem at hand, "When are we doing this...plan?"

"We'll strike in the morning" Kim said.

"Oh..." I said, kind of nervous.

"Yeah... you don't...mind? Do you?" Kim asked, "if you sleep over for the night, I think I'll find room for you, maybe a nice cozy drawer"

"I'm a bit claustophobic" I warned.

"I know, I was kidding" Kim smiled, this time a seemingly real one, "You're fun to mess with sometimes"

"Heh I guess I am" I said, realizing that I tended to panic more often than not. Then Kim suddenly snatched me up from the back of my shirt. I looked down and watched the ground get further and further away.

"You ARE kinda cute like that though" she winked, "maybe if this whole Jen thing doesnt work out..."

"Kim..." I said, giving her a serious glare.

"Kidding, kidding, relax!" Kim smiled and I felt kinda weird looking at her then. She had been an attractive girl and being this close up allowed me to see every detail in her face and her brown eyes. Normally brown eyes tend to look like marbles, but at this moment they seemed filled with some kind of warmness. I quickly shake off this feeling, realizing my focus should be on much more important things.

"So... what do you want to do now, little guy?" Kim asked, beginning to return to her childish ways with me, which worried me a bit, but then she added, "and don't worry, I won't hurt ya"

"I...I... don't know" I said, and then looked down again, getting dizzy, "but first could you set me down?"

"You gotta say pleease..." Kim smiled.

"Ok...please" I sighed, realizing that she was trying to get my mind off Jen by playing around.

"Ok..." Kim said and swung me around a little. I looked at her confused and then said "down you go!"

Kim dropped me from about a height of 3 feet and I was surprised to land between her partly exposed breasts, so that I was snugly captured between her cleavage.

"Oops" Kim smiled, her face getting red, "I'm so clumsy"

"You did that on purpose!" I said, looking up at her, my face also red, but it did feel nice to be under her shirt. Her breasts kind of felt like having 2 mats on either side, but at least I knew I wouldn't fall. Finally she reached down for me carefully and plucked me out of the small space.

"Sorry, I just couldn't resist" Kim giggled, "I know you've always had a boob fetish"

"This is true" I smile, but I also felt very awkrard at the same time. I had to give her credit though, for those few moments, I HAD forgotten about Jen and my crisis.

Nighttime fell sooner rather and than later and Kim set me down on her dresser by her bed.

"Hey, I'll be right back, gotta change" Kim said and left the room, leaving me on her dresser alone. I still had that unsettling feeling in my stomach as I waited for her, but it had subsided considerably. If she was going to do something horrible to me by now, she would've done it. I lean up against her cup of water and sigh. What if this WAS how I'd spend the rest of my life? Would I be presumed missing or dead by the police? Why would I be living in a rain gutter or cave somewhere? Or would Kim take me in and build me a dollhouse? Either option didn't appease me very much.

"Oh and hey" Kim said, from behind the bathroom door, "don't worry about your friend, Sarah, I called her and let her know you were staying with me"

"Ah..." I said, half baffled by that statement. I didn't know Kim knew Sarah or vice versa. Finally I had to bring it up "...you know Sarah?"

"Yeah, we used to be friends... still are, kinda" Kim said, still getting changed.

"So then..."

"So then what?" Kim asked.

"So when you bumped into Sarah and found me small... why didnt you...?" I asked, and as my thoughts unraveled, I began to see what was going on... "wait a minute!"

"Okay okay..." Kim sighed and finally opened the bathroom door, wearing a maroon tank top and fuzzy black pants. She laid down on the bed and looked at me. "I have to confess..."

"You finding me was no accident, was it?" I sighed.

"Nope" Kim smiled, "I've been asking about you a lot when I talk to Sarah..."

"Why?"

"Because you and her are friends so I figure she'll know how you're doing..." Kim explained.

"But why would you CARE how I'm doing?" I asked.

"I've always cared, it's you who didn't care..." Kim said, "You haven't been the same towards me... since..."

Kim and I remained silent.

"Is he...still around?" I asked, finally working up the nerve to ask.

"Who, Dan?" Kim asked. I nodded.

"No... he took off a while ago..." Kim frowned. I looked up at her with a confused look on my face.

"Ah..." I said, feeling my confusion convert to anger.

"Ah what?" Kim sighed, "I don't always know what you're thinking, yknow!"

"Well it's just that, once Dan left the picture... AGAIN... you suddenly decide to pester me with text messages and phone calls every day" I yelled, "a little convenient, dont you think?"

"Hey, stop yelling at me, you jerk!" Kim snapped, "You should be lucky I didn't squish you when you I had the chance!"

I backed away afraid.

"Yeah, thats right!" Kim shouted, "I tried to talk to you whether I was with him or not, you just ignored my calls every time..."

I still remained hiding behind Kim's lamp.

"...why Bobby?" she asked finally, "why did you ignore my calls, why do you hate me so much?"

I finally felt the anger well up inside me for one last time. I had been waiting 2 years for this so I was going to let her have it, whether I was tiny or not.

"WHY? BECAUSE YOU CHEATED ON ME TWICE WITH HIM, AND AFTER YOU TOLD ME YOU'D NEVER DO IT AGAIN, YOU DID ANYWAY!!" I screamed, "AND BOTH TIMES YOU FREAKIN ACTED LIKE IT WAS NO BIG DEAL, AND LEFT ME SO DISTRAUGHT BOTH TIMES, LIKE NOTHING WE DID TOGETHER EVER MEANT ANYTHING!!"

Kim looked up at me with a pensive look on her face. She stared me over for a long time. Finally she reached over with a finger and patted me softly on the head.

"I love you so..."

"NO!! GET AWAY FROM ME!" I said, backing away from her finger, "I'm not your pet, I'm not your THING, and I'm certainly not your FRIEND!"

I then sighed and stepped back, glaring up at her as she looked at me with confusion and sadness in her eyes. Finally she buried her head in the pillow.


"K-Kim?" I asked nervously.

"Leave me alone" she said, her voice distorted from the pillow.

"Kim... I'm sorry, I didn't mean it..." I sighed, "you were always one of my most reliable friends..."

"Just leave me alone..." she repeated.

"Kim... I'm sorry..." I sighed again.

"I'm sorry too..." Kim said, after a few moments of silence.

"Huh?"

"I'm sorry I cheated on you... I'm sorry I blew you off so many times in the past" Kim said and then sat up, her face red from crying. "I deserved that... and you have every right to get mad at me... but know this, I will still do everything I can do make you normal size again, and if I can't, then it's your choice what happens to you... because even if you don't care, I care and I wouldn't want to see anything bad happen to you..."

"Kim..." I sighed. I thought I'd feel vindicated after screaming my guts out at her, but I felt just the opposite.

"I just... made a mistake, okay, you ever make a mistake?" Kim said, suddenly cutting me off with something completely different, "I used to think of you as boring, and you panicked about EVERYTHING, it got to be a pain being your girlfriend, I'm sorry but that's the truth... and Dan was older, and stronger and just... I don't know... confident, but I realize now that wasn't a good reason to get rid of a really nice guy, which you are... you're a really nice guy, Bobby"

"Heh and a really short guy..." I sighed. "Look at me... I'm such a freak"

"You're not a freak" Kim said, "I don't care what size you are..."

I turned away and sighed. The fact was, no amount of discussing it would make the problem go away. I had to hope that Jen would let me return to normal size, and if not... well that would be it. Maybe there were worse things than being in Kim's captivity.

"So... let me ask you something..." I said. "Did you PLAN this?"

"What do you mean?" Kim asked.

"Well, you knew Sarah had me in her possession and you...?"

"Yeah" she frowned, "I'm REALLY sorry, but I had no choice... she told me about your predicament, and I... I don't know... I thought it'd be a good chance to apologize..."

"So then... you... already knew how I got shrunk?" I asked.

"No, actually, Sarah didn't tell me that, she just told me you had been shrunk down to a doll size and were... as she said 'fun to play with'" Kim explained, "if you're gonna get mad at anyone, get mad at her"

I sighed and said, "I'm not a doll..."

"I know... and... I'm really sorry..." Kim sighed.

"About what?"

"About telling you I wanted you to stay small forever... I would never want that..." Kim sighed.

"Well you sure convinced me..." I sighed.

"No, its not true though" Kim said, "in fact..."

"What?"

"Remember how I told you noone would be dumb enough to switch sizes with you at this point?" Kim asked.

"yeah?"

"Well... I would..." Kim sighed.

"You would?"

"Yeah... I mean, I'd most definitely hate it... but not as much as I hate seeing you like this..." Kim said, and then laid back down on her bed.

"Kim, you don't have to do that..." I said, "I don't even think you can"

"Well thats a relief!" Kim chuckled, "I wouldn't want to go through THAT... kidding, Bobby"

"I... I know" I said and was forced to laugh myself, even if she did have a cruel sense of humor sometimes. "I'm just wondering...about this whole thing... how can I possibly ask Jen to give up her family...for me?"

"You just gotta do it" Kim said, "you cant let people walk all over you... you let me walk all over you, and now you're letting her... you need to stand up for yourself... because quite frankly, Bobby... at your size, people WILL walk all over you"

I chuckled.

"Thanks, Kim... for everything..." I said, feeling drowsy, "and uh... I'm sorry"

"For?"

"For ignoring you all this time..." I said, not feeling proud to let it go, but perhaps it was time.

"It's okay" Kim said, in sort of a whisper, "let's just forgive each other, ok?"

"Sure" I smiled and let myself drift off.

Tomorrow would be the day... that my fate would ultimately be determined...