- Text Size +
"My little friend"

Chapter 3: Avery Point Adventure

I slowly cracked open the door on the third floor, making sure to be as quiet as possible, as I kept Jen cupped in my left hand.

"What is this place?" she said, in a hushed tone, trying not to blow our cover as I stepped out into the stretching hallway.

The place was dull looking to say the least, but I had grown quite accustomed to it's quaint charms. It was basically a restricted area on campus (hence our prior arrests) that used to be used for office buildings. Some of the offices were suspiciously left unlocked, and were filled with old copiers, dust and peeling wallpaper, while most other doors were locked but always offered me a sense of mystery, that maybe one day, some of those locked doors would open.

I don't even remember how I found this place, but probably the same way I found every other place... through poking around where I didn't belong, but I didn't do it to cause michief, I only did it to explore, and I loved exploring.

"Well Jen..." I said, keeping my voice hushed, as the hallway could produce a loud echo, "This is my hideout, it's where I come to think... you may not think of it as much but..."

"Bobby, you're talking to a girl who's been mostly living in a courtyard for months now" Jen said, "Any change of scenery is fine, and this place isn't too bad actually"

I looked down and observed Jen looking around, over the edges of my hand to observe the place around her, not that there was much to observe.

"Well then, allow me to give you the grand tour" I said, slowly walking with her, still resting in my hand. "This room I'm about to show you is one that actually IS unlocked"

Just then, I heard a voice from around the corner and Jen instantly began to panic.

"Hide me!!" she said out loud, looking up at me and waving her arms frantically.

"Hide you? Hide you where?!" I asked, as a shadow appeared from around the corner.

"I don't care!!" Jen said, still in an urgent tone, "put me in your pocket!"

"Okay okay" I said, and gently slipped Jen into my left pants pocket. Unfortunately for her, it was pretty crowded with my wallet and iPod. I felt her squirm between them, trying to get comfortable it seemed.

"Bobby? Is that you?" I heard the voice say. Predictably enough, John came out from the other room. Apparently, he had stayed in the hideout anyway.

"Uh, hey John" I said, trying to let my panic fade into casualness (which may or may not be a word). "Uh... whats up?"

"I knew you weren't getting tea-bags!" John scoffed, and paced around me, as if he was interogating me. "So what are you doing here?"

"Uh, just checking the ol' place out, yknow" I said nervously, "Wanted to make sure everything was still here"

Just then I felt Jen squirming some more and she tickled my thigh somewhat. I kind of gave off an awkrard chuckle.

"what's so funny?" John asked.

"Uh, nothing, nothing" I sighed, feeling really bad about cramming my fairy friend into my pocket like that. "Say, don't you have that 7 page paper to start?"

"Eh, I could do that anytime" John shrugged, "seems like you're avoiding me though"

"I'm not avoiding you" I said, feeling very nervous about this whole thing. I really wish I could just tell him aboUT Jen, about what I was really doind, it would do me a lot of good right now and it would do Jen a lot of good, because she wouldn't be as uncomfortable as she was.

"Well then... how about we..." John started, but then was interuppted by his cell phone. As he answered it, I thought to myself about just how many times people kept getting interuppted by cell phones, myself included. This time, it kind of helped me out.

"That was Sarah" John said, "She wants to go to burger king"

"Didn't you just go there yesterday?" I asked.

"Yeah, whats your point?" John asked. "You coming?"

"Uh... no... I can't" I said abruptly, without even thinking about it.

"Let me guess, you got more TEA-BAGS to get" John sighed in frustration.

"I guess you could say that" I said, realizing I was ticking him off for real this time.

"Fine, whatever" John said, and went out the door, and back down the steps. As soon as I was sure he gone, I slowly pulled Jen out of my pocket, feeling terrible about putting her in there.

Her hair was slightly ruffled, but otherwise she looked fine, and seemed fine too, even though she had to stretch a little in my hand before she said it was okay to keep walking.

"Y'know Bobby" Jen said, as I took the long way out of the hideout, just so I wouldn't run into anyone else I know, "You didn't have to say no to him, you could've gone to Burger King... I feel kinda bad"

"Why do you feel bad?" I asked.

"I don't know... because I'm sort of a burden..." she said, with a frown, "if you didn't have to hide me, you could've..."

"No, please stop" I groaned, stopping now to look her straight in the eye, or as best I could "I could've gone with them, but I didn't want to... I wanted to be with you"

We tried to avoid the mushy "Aw..." moment and move on, although the silence following that line wasn't much better than the mushiness. Jen did smile a little though, so I know that she felt appreciated, which is how I wanted her to feel, because my life felt so much more exciting with her in my life... or hand, in this case.

"Well then" Jen said, "why don't we go on an adventure?"

"Now you're speaking my language" I said with excitement, as I pulled open the door for us and walked back outside. I made sure to take fairly deserted routes so noone would see me talking to my hand as I walked. "What did you have in mind, Jen?"

"I don't know, how about the marine science building?" Jen asked, and pointed to the massive gray building with the steel green roof. I, of course knew this building all too well, as it was the site of yet another of my famous "Arrests".

The Marine science building is where I filmed a series of youtube videos called "Marine Mayhem" which became hated by the police, who considered them a mockery to the building. So when I tried to make the fifth movie in the series, I was finally caught. Not only was I told to get rid of the movies, but I wasn't allowed to return to the marine science building, since I wasn't a marine science major. All that history aside though, we all know what I said to Jen at that moment.

"The marine science building? Sure!" I said, and took her over to the forbidden zone. I brought us in through the side entrance, meaning we came out on the very first floor, the basement. I couldn't resist but to explore.

"Wow, this place is pretty cool" Jen said, her eyes lighting up, "Sorry if you think I'm a dork for enjoying this"

"You obviously don't know me Jen" I said, holding her snugly in my hand as we slowly took in the sights of this large basement. The hallway we were in made the "hideout" look like a closet, as it went on for quite a while before providing an elevator at the end. I wanted to try to stay away from the main parts of the building as much as possible, and I knew few avery point police meandered down in the basement, so this was a good place to conduct our exploring.

It's just too bad that the basement didn't have much to offer outside of the initial reaction one gets upon walking into it. Jen even seemed over the thrill of being in this massive place, so I decided to show her a place that was probably my favorite on campus, although one I was extremely banned from.

I stepped into the elevator and pressed "floor 3", the top floor of the building. Let me rephrase that -- the top floor accessible by elevator.

Anyway, Jen and I both kind of panicked when the elevator stopped at floor 2, signaling that someone else would be stepping in. Reluctantly, I slid her into my pants pocket again. A janitor stepped into the elevator, on his way to the third floor. I looked at him and gave him a casual nod as we rose to level 3 at last. Once the janitor and I had gone our seperate ways, I took Jen out of my pocket again.

"Maybe next time, you should put me in your OTHER pocket" Jen sighed, "the one with less stuff in it"

"You're right... sorry" I said, "it's just that I'm left-handed and..."

"It's fine, I'm just saying" Jen said, interuppting me, yet again. It seems I have a habit of talking too much. "So where are we going?"

"To the most awesome place there is" I said with a grin and Jen looked at me with a look of confusion.

I opened another door which revealed another staircase that went up a couple of flights. At the top of the stairs was a green door, marked "NO ADMITTANCE". I stepped into it and brought us into a small gray chamber of sorts. Without saying another word, I opened another door that led to the massive boiler room on the top. This was extremely off-limits, yet had no security so it wasn't that big a deal.


"Bobby, are you sure we're supposed to be here?" Jen asked, looking around, both dazzled and scared.

"Do you want the REAL answer, or the one you want to hear?" I asked, with a grin, taking a good look around.

"I guess not" Jen laughed.

I cracked open another door, and this one led to outside. Jen hastily interuppted me before I could finish opening it. She screamed "What are you doing?" but I looked down at her and said "Trust me"

I took us outside, onto the roof of the marine science building. From there, we could see everything there was to see... we could see the water, the sky, the trees, the branford house, and if you really looked you could still the coastline of new london in the distance, looking as small as ever. I sat down on the roof and placed Jen safely next to me. Some sharp winds blew in our face.

"Do you come up here often?" Jen asked, looking up at me.

"I used to"I sighed "it turns out I'm not actually allowed up here"

"Yeah, but it didn't seem to stop you" Jen said.

"I just wanted to show you" I said, "it's not fair that you're always cooped up down my the Branford house"

"Hey, I might live outside, for the most part, I do some exploring of my own" she said, "I sometimes walk inside the branford house and listen to people play the grand piano, and sometimes I even walk to the basement"

"You've been in that basement?" I asked, in glee "Me too!"

"Yeah, except I'm guessing you got caught" Jen smiled and winked at me.

"Yeah..." I sighed, "how'd you get away with it?"

"Uh hello? I'm the size of a mouse, silly!" Jen chuckled "It's pretty easy to hide... one of the advantage of being small"

A few awkrard moments wander by when I decide to ask her a question I had pondered for some time.

"What's it like?" I asked.

"Huh?"

"What's it like ... to be small?" I asked. "You don't have to answer if you don't want to..."

"Well..." Jen said, taking a deep pensive breath before answering, "it's not TOO much different from being 'big', I suppose... it's all relative, y'know? If you see a big castle or something, you feel small in comparison, right?"

"I guess"

"Well, just imagine the world is made up of big castles and things... that's pretty much my world" Jen said. "The difference for you though is there's not really any creature bigger than you, except dinosaurs that don't exist anymore..."

"Do you ever get scared?" I asked her.

"I used to... until I got used to it" Jen sighed. For some reason, her voice kind of drifted off into sadness a little bit.

"Jen, you alright?" I asked.

"Yeah, I'm fine..." Jen said, with a smile. I couldn't tell if it was a real smile or not anymore. "Do you have any more questions about me?"

"I don't want you to think I'm examining you or anything..." I said, feeling guilty, "I just wanted to know..."

"I know, it's fine, really..." Jen said, smiling again, "I just like having someone to talk to, so please... ask away"

"Well you said you were a fairy" I said, "do you have any magic powers or anything"

Jen sighed and said "Unfortunately no... Bobby, I'm not really that much different from a human... except for my size... in fact there's nothing special about me at all, except for my size"

"Don't say that, you're wonderful" I said.

"How do you even know that?" Jen asked, "you just met me... you only like me because I'm unique... something different... but not in a good way..."

"You're different in a very good way" I said to her, "I'm intrigued by you... but not because of your size... because of you... you're mysterious and I'd like to get to know you better"

"Trust me, Bobby..." Jen sighed "you don't want to get to know me... at least not everything..."

"But I do" I said, starting to feel a bit pushy.

"Well... well, what about you?" Jen said, suddenly trying to change the subject.

"Huh? What about me?" I asked her.

"Well you know, you want to know so much about me..." Jen said, "maybe I want to know more about you..."

"Okay, like what?" I asked.

"Well, here's a random question" Jen said, with a smile, "what's with all the Maroon 5 on your ipod?"

"I love maroon 5" I said, then paused to look at her for a few seconds with an inquisitive stare, "how'd you know what was on my ipod..."

"I got bored in your pocket" Jen said.

"AH right..." I said, "sorry about that"

"I'm guessing you apologize a lot too" Jen said.

"Yeah, that's something I do a lot" I said, "mainly because I'm such a screw-up and everything... I have low self esteem..."

"You shouldn't..." Jen said, "You have a great group of friends, and you do a lot of weird things, that are cool"

"Thanks, Jen" I said, giving her a sincere smile. "Speaking of weird things, we should probably leave here... I could get in trouble because I filmed a youtube video here"

"You what?" Jen asked, as I picked her up.

"Just remember you said I was cool" I laughed, as we walked away.

I continue walking and talking with Jen as we're on the way back to the Branford house when she says, "hey didn't you have a class in 2 hours?"

"Oh yeah, you're right" I said, "do you mind if I leave you back in the courtyard?"

"Yeah, no problem" Jen said, "yknow, you didn't have to spend your whole break with me"

"Are you kidding me? It was great!" I exclaimed, "I can't wait to do it again"

"Heh, me too" Jen smiled. It seemed that neither of us wanted to let the other know just how excited we were about the other. "Oh, one more thing, before you leave me off"

"Yeah?"

"You have my phone number... I think it's only fair that I get yours" Jen said, taking out her cell phone.

"Ah right" I said, setting her down near the stone statues in the courtyard, "My number is... 712-7729"

"Thanks" Jen said, closing her phone, "hey, I'll see you later, okay?"

"But of course" I said, and walked away... feeling very satisfied, if not a little confused by the whole thing.