- Text Size +
"My little friend"

by Sonicfan287


Chapter 6: Opportunity knocks


I met Jen at our usual place, down at the Branford House entrance in the morning, but something felt off. She didn't seem entirely happy to see me. Perhaps she, like me, just had a lot on her mind.

"So..." she said,walking up to me fairly shyly, "you said you wanted to meet me here?"

"Yeah, there's something I really wanted to tell you..." I said, feeling the nerves bubble up inside me at this point.

"Really?" Jen asked, "well there's something I need to tell you too"

"Oh? Uh, you go first" I said, wondering exactly what this news could be.

"Well, I have a boyfriend" Jen said, and I suddenly felt myself crash inside.

"You... you what?" I asked, making sure I had heard her right. I felt like my heart had sucked itself up, and as if I was empty. I had only met Jen not even a week ago and the thought of being anything more than friends with her was surely absurd, and yet... just hearing this news provoked some horrible feelings, like slime covering my insides. But sure enough, Jen would confirm my fears.

"Yeah, his name is Steve" Jen said, and she could tell by my body language that this was bothering me. "Uh... you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine" I said, and sat down next to Jen, "just a little woozy I guess...uh...yeah..."

I then went into a short fit of nervous laughter before prompting Jen to describe her boyfriend but I could barely hear what she said. The sounds and sights around me were faded, which was unfortunate because I almost missed the sound of John coming our way.

"Hey Bobby!" John said, raising his voice, as if he had tried calling me before, and I hadn't answered.

Still in a daze, I go "huh, what's up?" but perhaps I should've said more because John clumsily stumbles my way, trying to get a closer look of what's going on. By the time I realize I need to shield Jen from his sight I'm too late, but things get even worse.

"Hey, what's that bug down there?" John asked, in an inquisitive voice, but doesn't take long before he slams his foot down on the ground, smashing Jen into a million pieces.

"John, NOOO!" I shouted, finally snapping to, but way too late. He had crushed her... right in front of me. I could've stopped him, but I hadn't... what had I done? How could this have happened...?

My head began to spin in a torrent of unspeakable pain as the few memories of Jen I had all came rushingto my head. I couldn't believe how fast she was gone... and...

"Bobby!!" I heard a gruff male voice proclaim. I suddenly snap to my senses and realize I'm in bed, and nearly drenched in sweat under my covers. "Bobby, did you forget?"

"Forget?" I asked, only able to use single words at this point. I look around, and up at my dad who was calling my name. I was in my bedroom, nowhere near Avery Point, but was Jen still alive? What happened? It was just a dream... but so realistic... oh my god. Whatever my dad meant by "forgetting" I had definitely forgotten.

"Your mother and I are leaving for a week, starting tonight" my dad said, urging me to get up, because I was already running late, "we left you a list of things to maintain while we're gone and left you a little money for food"

"Oh right, your vacation" I said, getting up slowly, making sure I was really awake and everything that had happened before was simply in my head. "I'll take good care of the house while you're gone, don't you worry"

"I'm sure you will" my dad said, "you've just seemed a little out of it lately... is everything okay?"

"Everything? Everything's fine" I said, when in actuality, nothing could be further from the truth. "I'm just a little tired"

"Well besides that," my dad said, "besides the tired thing, you've seemed out of it, you've barely been eating and your mother and I have noticed you aren't as active as you used to be"

"I'm fine" I said.

"Is it a girl?" my dad asked.

How does everyone know me this well? I thought to myself, but I masked my feelings by simply denying any affiliation with Jen, not that I was in love with her or anything... oh who am I kidding? That charade is over, I was obviously feeling something for her, if not love.

I jump into the shower, already running late for seeing Jen -- I mean class... I was going to class, of course. At that point I was so worried, so freaked, I had no idea what to do. It was feelings like these that always made me think the impending day would suck, and this was classic me, freaking out about stuff no more than 10 minutes after I woke up.

After my shower, I'm hasty to get into my car and take off as fast as I can. A car ride usually gave me some soothing feelings and I'd have plenty of time to reflect on everything that's been happening. I couldn't really blame Jen for my negative feelings right now, because she was the only positive thing to happen to me in... well, a while. My life used to be so boring, so devoid of purpose. Sure, I went to work and did things with people, but why? What was the reason, and why was it that no matter how many things I accomplished, I felt the same as if I had done nothing? With Jen, it was different though, just seeing her gave me a sense of pride, that I had accomplished something, and learning more about her gave me greater pleasure than any job well done.

But as Jen said before, was I only intrigued with her being because of her unique situation or was it the person herself? If I had met Jen and she was my height, would I be as intrigued? Jen was a pretty girl, with a lot of great personality but I've met countless girls like that before and said nothing to them, never to see them again. Jen was special, but was it because of her size or because of some intangible factor? It was really her size that brought us together, albeit unintentionally. If she was normal size walking around campus, we would've simply crossed paths and kept going, like anyone else, but perhaps I was destined to meet her, and perhaps besides our obvious differences there's something common between us that was the reason why we were meant to be together.

I think of all these things as my horrible dream still plays over in my head, making me think awful thoughts as I drive to school. It must've been scary to be Jen's size, I don't care what she said. At any instant, her life could be over, and no matter who's fault it'd be, that was just a hard thought to fathom. Still, the other part of the dream bothered me as well... what if Jen had a boyfriend, or found one? She mentioned having an ex-boyfriend, so she had dabbled in the art of romance and was probably more effective at it than I was. Of course, if there were guys her size to date, why would she go out with me, someone who was big enough to crush her unintentionally.

It was amazing how fast time flew when one ponders these things, because I had already reached my destination, as I wondered whether or not 'Steve' was a real person. I stepped out of my car, and almost instantly remembered all the reasons why I loved Avery Point and it was because of days like this one. The air was perfect and smelled of dew, and the deep greens of the grassy field contrasted the blue sky in a perfect manner. In addition to that, the day itself seemed like it could be a great one, only because after my early class, I had nothing else to do. No work, no school, and my parents weren't home so I had no reason to go home alone. That's when a small smirk grew on my face, and I thought "why not spend the whole day with Jen?"

Of course, this was a foolish thought and one that was easier said than done. Jen seemed to like her home in the branford house yard, and I couldn't expect her to spend ALL her time with me, even though she had spent a lot of it. I take out my cell phone and ponder calling her, before I remember that would be a waste of time, because I had class in only 10 minutes. I had dwindled away so much time thinking about all these issues in my head that I hadn't planned ahead, and found myself in a rush to the third floor of the academic center for my anthropology class.

Anthropology... well there's no nice way to say it, I don't think I'd ever be interesting in it, even if I wasn't in love with anyone 3 inches tall. It was one of my most boring classes, if not the most boring class I've ever taken at Avery Point. It was all about the culture of the native american people, and I'm not going to say I hate native americans, because I don't, but I will say that I don't feel like hearing about what they wore, what they did, how they ate... wait... how they ate...

How did Jen eat? I mean, it was a real concern, now that I though about it... I suppose there were scraps here and there I suppose, but how could she live off that?

After my class, I decide to head right towards... well, you know at this point. I had so many questions to ask her this time, although I wondered if that would bother her. I suppose the best thing to do would be to just relax and talk to her, and see what happens from there.

I walk up the steps to the branford house backyard and look around. It was serenely quiet for a change, as there were no sprinters outside, nor anyone admiring the worksmanship of the statues. It was a Friday afternoon, and so almost noone was on campus, except for those unlucky enough to get saddled with friday classes. Of course, at this point I felt very lucky.

I was pacing the branford house outskirts when I suddenly received a call. I open up my phone and see it's... well, who else, Jen, so I hastily pick it up.

"Hey" she says, "you're really bad at this"

"Bad at what?" I asked.

"Finding me" she said, while holding in a laugh.

I looked around my immediate area, puzzled.

"Uh, where are you?" I asked.

"Try looking down" she said, and at this point I could hear her actual voice in addition to her phone voice. I looked straight down and saw her standing at my feet, leaning against the foot high step that was next to her. She looked so cute. "See me now?"

"Yeah" I said, taking a moment to look at her. She had such a great dignity about her, like she didn't even care what size she was, she was going to be her own awesome person, and it worked, on so many levels. "I see you just fine"

"So... what's up?" Jen asked, "I feel like we haven't seen each other much recently... and by recently I mean like in a day or two"

"I know, I'm so sorry" I said, and knelt down so I could see her better. When I knelt down, she walked a bit closer, enforcing the fact that she had a lot of trust in me. "I've just been so busy at work and everything and..."

"Hey it's cool" Jen said, not wanting me to feel bad about it apparently, "I was just wondering where my adventuring friend was"

"Heh, y'know..." I said, feeling kind of abashed all of a sudden, "...I'm right here"

"So..." Jen said, breaking the silence as usual, "what do you want to do?"

"What do I want to do?" I said slowly, repeating her question. "What do I want to do..."

"Yeah... that's generally the question" Jen said, holding off another, more obvious laugh.

God, there were so many things I'd like to do... but to pick just one, with one of the most fantastic people I had ever met was a very hard task to do, but I decided to ask her out on a date...okay not really, but in my head it was.

"Hey, we could go to burger king" I said, as the idea had just popped into my head.

"Hmm, that sounds interesting" Jen said, "I don't get to eat much out here, yknow"

"I figured... yknow... not because you're small, just because"

"Bobby, calm down" Jen said, keeping the mood lighthearted, "c'mon, let's just go to Burger King, I haven't been in ages"

"You've been there before?" I asked.

"Yeah, y'know, here and there" Jen said, kind of covering her voice up a little bit."But that's not important... let's just go"

"You got it, Jen" I said, and gently picked her up, making sure to be extra careful after that horrific nightmare. "I do have one more question for you..."

"What's that?" Jen asked.

"Do you know anyone named Steve?" I asked.

"What?"

"Never mind" I said, taking her to my car.

My car was a 2005 silver pontiac grand am, and was actually something I was very fond of. Jen seemed to enjoy it as well, nodding her head in approval as she said, "nice car, bobby"

"Oh thanks, just a little something I got" I said, "actually Im still making payments on it"

I opened the door and set Jen down on top of my cup-holder.

"Hopefully, the ride is comfy from there" I said, strapping myself in and checking for my key, before finally pulling it out from my overcrowded pants pocket.

"It's fine, Bobby" Jen said, leaning against my radio, before accidentally turning it on with her back. She kind of yelped and I laughed.

"Real nice, Jen" I said, and turned the radio down. Jen chuckled nervously, but I insisted she not worry about it as we drove.

"This is a real nice part of town," Jen said, as we drove the countryside of Groton, a route I always took enroute to Burger King.

"Oh this?" I said casually, "This is just how I navigate, I like to take the path less traveled"

"I hear it's a nicer path" Jen said with a smile, as she craned her neck up to see out the window as best she could.

"So how are you hanging in there, Jen?" I asked, still worried as usual.

"I'm fine" Jen said, and again, I noticed a touch of that remorse of her face, a sort of break in her usual confidence.

"Are you sure?" I asked, slowing down a bit as we reached the entrance to Burger King.

"Yeah, I'm...I'm fine" Jen said, as if something had stopped her from speaking the truth, a force stronger than both of us, it seemed. Someday maybe I'd find out what had her so down, when she was otherwise contented.

Either way, for now, the important thing was to enjoy more one-on-one time, and make the most of this rare opportunity.