- Text Size +
"My little friend"

by Sonicfan287

Chapter 7: My lunch with Jen

"So..." I said to Jen, after a few moments of silence had passed, "you like Burger King, right?"

"Oh of course" she said, her eyes kind of lighting up as she spoke, "I love burger king, and I really love getting away from Avery Point for a change"

"Really?" I asked, "but Avery Point is really cool"

"It is" Jen admitted, "but not when you're living there, day in and day out... it's really nice though, the beauty of it all, but I'd really like to get out there sometimes, y'know..."

"I understand" I said, as the traffic in front of us fell into a temporary bottleneck, "This might take longer than I thought"

"That's okay" Jen said, taking the time to look over my car from top to bottom, her eyes going all over the place. In theory I should've been paying attention to the road, but I couldn't stop glancing down at her. I'm just glad she didn't notice how much I was looking at her, sitting there in my cup holder, her hands occasionally gripping the edges so she wouldn't fall out. "I enjoy the ride"

"Oh, I love car rides" I said, "It's not the destination, it's the journey, y'know"

"Yeah..." Jen said, looking down all of a sudden with a pensive look on her face, as if what I had said had sparked any profound thoughts. "You're right"

I decided not to ask her what was wrong this time. Maybe if I backed off, she'd tell me more about her personal life, but as it was, that was none of my business anyway.

"So..." Jen said, once the car started moving again, following our traffic tie-up, "how are we going to do this?"

"Do what?" I asked.

"well, Bobby..." Jen said, with a smile, "I doubt you've ever had lunch with a girl the size of your hand before"

"Actually I've barely had lunch with a GIRL!" I said, chuckling nervously. It was a lame joke, but Jen kind of laughed.

"Anyway..." Jen said, looking up at me the whole time, while I tried to focus simulatneously on her and my driving, "how are we going to eat together when... well, y'know..."

"What?" I asked, confused. Maybe it was just the way the light was hitting her, making her hair and eyes kind of glow, but for some reason I didn't understand what she was trying to say.

"Bobby... I don't want people to see me..." Jen sighed, sounding both frustrated that I hadn't gotten it, and ashamed at the same time. I silently sigh to myself as she says that, "you just have to hide me, that's all"

"Okay, okay" I said, "I will"

Jen smiled, and tried to keep the good mood up, but before she did that, I wanted to say one more thing, which I did,

"...but Jen?"

"Yeah?"

"I think you're way too beautiful to hide"

I don't know why I said it, but I did, I felt like I had to, and I meant it. No matter what size she was, she was beautiful, even though I could understand her fear of being exposed to others.

"Aw, Bobby..." Jen sighed, and gave off a smile while kinda chuckling. I couldn't tell if I had just flattered her that much, or if she was laughing to herself because of my line, "...that was sickeningly sweet"

"I know..." I said, once again feeling that strange warm feeling rush to my head. Finally, I pulled into Burger King and tried to return to my normal mode, or as normal of a mode that I have. "Well, here we are"

"That we are" Jen said, and stood herself up from my cup holder. I put my hand just under her and she stepped onto it, showing great poise in how she did it without slipping, and still managed to stand upright even when I lifted her slightly.

"So you don't mind if I slip you in my pocket for now?" I asked.

"No, just be careful" Jen said, looking down at my pocket, "And don't cram me in with an ipod, please... I like music as much as the next girl, but y'know, not like that"

"Understood" I said, using my free hand to yank my iPod out of the pocket. I stepped out of my car, being careful to hold Jen who had gone into a crouching position to avoid falling. When I was fully out of the car, I slipped her into my pants pocket as well as I could. I started to walk towards the entrance, when I remembered one more thing to ask her, "hey jen"

"Yeah?" she said, sounding kind of muffled to me.

"What do you want to eat?" I asked.

"Well seeing as how the food is the size of my entire body, a fry or 2 ought to do it, and maybe a piece of double cheeseburger" Jen said. "I gotta watch my figure y'know"

"You don't have to watch your figure" I said, smiling slyly, "You should let me watch it for you"

"Wow... how long have you been waiting to use THAT line?" Jen asked.

"Uh, about 2 months..." I sighed with defeat, "but hey you should feel honored you're the only one I've used it on"

"Lucky me" Jen laughed, as I walked into the Burger King for real this time.

I loved the Burger King in groton. Much like my car rides, it was another place I could count on to escape stress throughout the day. This is also where John and I would usually go and bitch about our women troubles. Ironically, I was bringing a woman with me today though.

The whole BK was decorated with a sort of retro 50's theme, with black and white tiling on the walls, as well as old-styled paintings. It was a great style for the venerable restaurant but unfortunately it would most likely not stay. BK has been re-modeling all of their local restaurants to look differently, so I feared the worst for my groton hangout. For now though, this wasn't about Burger King, this was about Jen.

"Hey Bobby" I heard Jen whispering to me, or mumbling rather, through my pocket.

"Yeah?" I whispered back, not wanting to seem too crazy, as I was in line behind a couple of people.

"Get extra napkins" she said.

"Okay... but why?" I asked.

"I'll show you when we get to our table" Jen said.

"You mean we're actually eating here?" I whispered back. Someone turned back to see who I was talking to, so I whipped out my cell phone real quick and pretended to be on it.

"Of course" Jen said, "I want the entire Burger King experience"

"But I thought you didn't want anyone to see you" I said, realizing that my fake cell phone call was working fine, so I didn't have to whisper anymore.

"Don't worry about it, Bobby" Jen said, "I'll be fine, just sit in the corner booth"

"I love the corner booth!" I exclaimed. A few people turned and lookat at me weird as I still held my cell phone. "...uh, y'know... because it's in the corner and a booth"

"Way to go..." Jen said, with a laugh that I could even hear from inside my pocket. Luckily noone else did.

"Eh, it happens" I shrugged, as I stepped up to order my food, after which I attained my cup and took an extra plastic ketchup cup so I could give Jen some. I liked thinking ahead, after all.

"Remember the extra napkins" Jen said, and so I took a few of those as well, and sat down in the corner booth with usual double cheeseburger, large fry and a coke. Yeah, I'm about as predictable as a slice of toast.

Before I fully sit down, I make sure to remove Jen from my pocket and carefully set her down on the table, behind my bag so people passing by can't see her. She stands up and stretches briefly.

"Hopefully I didn't hurt you in there" I said, a bit worried as I sat down in the seat.

"No, I'm fine" Jen said, "although I could use some fries"

"You got it" I said, and tipped over the bag somewhat. She walked inside and pulled out a few fries. I heard her yelp briefly, "those are hot, y'know!"

"Yeah, I caught that" Jen said feebly as she walked out of the bag, holding a smoking fry in her hands. It was one of those short stubby ones, and those are usually the greasiest, and therefore the best. The fry was about half the length of her body and had a small bite missing from it.

"Here, you want some coke?" I said, and emptied out a small portion of my soda into the plastic ketchup cup. I put the bag in front of Jen as she moved over to drink from the plastic cup.

"You're so nice, Bobby" Jen said, after taking a couple sips of coke. She lied down next to the cup and looked up at me as I ate, "I'm so glad you came to school today"

"Really?" I asked, in between bites of my double cheeseburger.

"Yeah, I didn't think you had class today, almost noone does on Fridays" Jen said.

"Yeah, I got saddled with anthropology" I sighed, "it really sucks"

"I'm sorry" Jen said, taking another hearty bite out of her fry.

"It's not your fault... it just seems like I always get... well you don't want to hear me complain..." I sighed. "I'm not very fun sometimes, I know"

"Bobby, can I tell you something?" Jen asked.

"Sure," I answered.

"In all honesty, I was scared to death of you when we first met," Jen said, "but now I realize you're one of the best friends I've ever had"

"Really?" I said, pausing everything I was doing when I heard her say those words.

"Yeah, I mean... I don't know..." Jen sighed, "I guess you don't want to hear ME complain either"

"I don't mind" I said, eager to hear more about her, the person that was Jen.

"Well, people haven't always... well treated me the best..." Jen said, "especially now..."

"What do you mean ESPECIALLY now?" I asked.

"Well just... I don't know recently... people have been really mean to me, let's just say that" Jen said, still eating that same fry she had been working on, while I had eaten half my burger.

"Who was mean to you?" I said, feeling a sudden sense of responsibility, like I should've protected her from any wrongdoing.

"It's nothing" she sighed, "the people who were mean to me mean nothing now"

"I know what you mean" I said, "that girl I used to like, you remember..."

"Kim?"

"Yeah, let's try not to say that name again" I sighed, putting down my burger to talk, "She was a real bitch to me for a while... but for some reason I stayed with her for a while... and decided I had had enough... well not quite..."

"What do you mean?" Jen asked.

"Eh, a bunch of stuff happened... basically I was willing to forgive her at one point," I explained, "but she didn't want my forgiveness, so I gave up caring, and now she wants my forgiveness for this stuff she did..."

"What stuff?"

"Just stupid, stupid stuff" I said, trying to avoid the subject. The only people who knew Kim and I's relationship dynamically were my real close friends and I didn't want to tie Jen up with drama that had been over for months now. "It's really not important"

"It obviously still bothers you" Jen said, not trying to be cynical, but sincere.

"It really doesn't" I said, trying to maintain a sense of maturity and dignity about it, even though part of me was still bothered by Kim. I hated her so much, "but anyway, that's enough of that darkness... how's your week been going? How's stuff?"

"Stuff... is stuff" Jen answered, sounding like she didn't expect to be asked that question. Then again, who does?

"You don't look tired today" I commented.

"Yeah, I feel a lot better" Jen said, and reached into the bag for another fry, this one slightly bigger. "I was actually able to sleep last night"

"Really? Because it was kind of cold out" I said.

"I know..." Jen said, "but I was able to find some warmth under a bush... it was really nice actually... I like being able to observe the little details about life... the stuff that others don't see"

"I bet you do" I said, "I've always been a bit of an explorer myself"

"Yeah but see, I'm not banned from the places I explore" Jen laughed.

"I was only banned from 6 of those places" I said.

"Yeah, suuure you were" Jen said, and then asked me, "do you think I could have just a small piece of your burger?"

"Sure" I said, and tore off a small piece of beef that was about the size of her head. She thanked me and quickly took a bite. "Is it good?"

"Very" Jen said, "Thanks again"

"Anything for you, Jen" I said.

I was shocked at how noone had noticed me talking to what appeared from the distance to be a mere BK bag, but maybe they had seen me talking to it and just didn't say anything. They probably all thought I was crazy but I was so sick of worrying about what others thought of me. I only wanted to know what Jen thought of me and she seemed to think I was pretty cool, which was good enough for me.

"So..." I asked Jen, after thinking of something to say, "Did you do anything cool today?"

"I just sat by the water" Jen said, "kinda got a tan"

She showed me the back of her neck and her arms which had gotten a bit tanner. She was usually a bit paler.

"Can I ask you something?" I asked nervously, "and please don't get mad"

"I won't" Jen said, slowly standing up from her laying down position. She walked around a little bit as I spoke to her.

"Why do you want to stay hidden from everyone?" I asked.

"I... I don't know" Jen sighed, "I used to so social but...now...well not so much, it's just..."

"It's just what?" I asked.

"LOOK AT ME!!" Jen shouted, and it was the first time I noticed her really freak out "I'M TINY!! OKAY? I'M TINY, AND TINY PEOPLE DON'T MAKE FRIENDS WITH PEOPLE WHO ARE...WELL HUGE... no offense"

"None taken" I said, kind of quietly "I'm sorry...I never wanted to upset you"

"You didn't... I'm sorry" Jen said, and I noticed her wipe a small tear from her eye as she went around the other side of the bag for a second. She came back around so I could see her again and looked a lot more composed, like I was used to seeing, "I'm fine now"

"I really didn't mean to sadden you, Jen" I said, "I..."

Just then, my cell phone vibrated and I had to cut myself off. As Jen continued to wipe her eyes, I picked up my phone and it was John on the other line.

"Hey, man" John said, "it's friday, are we going to the mall?"

"Uh..." I said slowly, looking down at Jen and then back up, before saying "Y'know what? Not tonight"

"Not tonight?" John asked, "what else could you possibly have to do?"

"Just trust me, it's important" I said.

"It's a girl, isnt it?" John asked.

Geez, my friends and family were good. At this rate it was only a matter of time before Jen figured out what was going on.

"No it's not a girl" I said, trying to make sure Jen didn't hear me even though she obviously did. "I just uh... want to be alone tonight"

"To get tea bags?" John asked, cynically.

"You're not gonna let that go, are you?" I asked.

"Probably not" John said, then paused before saying "FINE" and hung up.

Jen looked up at me curiously and asked "who was that?"

"Eh, just John" I said, "y'see I usually go to the mall with him on friday nights..."

"The Crystal Mall?" Jen said, showing sudden excitement.

"Yeah, in waterford" I said, "did you want to go?"

"Maybe..." Jen said, with a sly smile on her face this time.

"Well yeah, we can go" I exclaimed, suddenly feeling very excited.

"Okay... hey wait, John's not gonna be there anyway is he?" Jen asked.

"Nah, I doubt it" I said.

"Okay, then let's go!" Jen exclaimed, and I quickly scooped her into my hand.

I thought to myself, as I took her back into my car for a Friday evening mall adventure "this can only end happily"