- Text Size +
"My little friend"

by Sonicfan287

Chapter 9: Lost and found


As Sarah pulled me away from that area at Macy's, I had so many thoughts racing through my head. Her feeble words tried to pierce the barrier formed tightly in my mind, but they were of no use. In my own subconscious I was swimming in uncontrollable fear and doubt, anxiety and stress. I wanted to just run back and find Jen. I didn't want anything bad to happen to her.

"BOBBY!!" Sarah shouted and finally I came to, noticing she had been walking me through the kitchen department of Macy's, forcing us towards the exit. I had to think fast and come up with an excuse to go back to furniture.

"Uh, I left my wallet... in furniture" I said, and started strolling back, but stopped myself when I saw Sarah giving me a skeptical look. I turned back and said "what?"

"You're a god awful liar" Sarah said, with a smirk and then walked beside me "but y'know what, I'll play along... let's go to furniture"

And so, Sarah and I started walking towards furniture, but of course I would have to find a way to ditch her, if only for a few minutes so I could find Jen.

Unfortunately, I didn't even get a chance to get back to furniture before John bumped into us, and that's when I remember Sarah had called him to show up and meet us there.

"JOHN!!" Sarah exclaimed and ran up to hug him. I shuddered to see the look on his face when he saw me, as he thought I was just staying home tonight.

"So..." John said, with the usual smug look he got on his face when he was right about something, "I knew you'd be here"

"I suppose" I said, "now c'mon I have to go back to furniture to get my wallet"

"Your wallet's right there!" John laughed, pointing at the bulge in my left pocket. "You can always tell where your wallet is because it's so overloaded with pocket change"

"I suppose" I sighed.

"C'MOOON!" Sarah said, pulling John's arm and motioning for me to come along, "We've been in Macy's long enough, let's go eat or something"

"But weren't you here with your mom?" I asked Sarah.

"Yeah, but she doesn't mind if I hang out with you guys for a while" Sarah said, smiling and pulled John and I off reluctantly.

Oohhh poor Jen, I thought to myself as we headed back towards the exit of Macy's, where the bathroom towels were. Just then I felt a familiar rumble -- my cell phone vibrating. I look at the caller ID real quick to see it's Jen.

"Ugh, that's not Kim again, is it?" John asked, noticing I was looking at my cell phone.

"Uh, no, it's just a friend of mine, I'll be right back" I said, and paced away from them long enough to talk to her.

"Bobby, where are you?" Jen asked, in a semi-frantic voice, "you could've at least said you gave up, that's how hide and seek works, yknow"

"I know, I'm sorry" I said, under my breath "I could easily find you now, but it would involve exposing you to my friends"

"NO!" she shouted, and I had to back away from the phone for a second "Ok, we'll figure something out"

"Figure what out? I'm screwed" I asked, and just then, I heard John say "it's time to go"

"You guys go ahead, I'll meet you somewhere" I said to John and Sarah.

"Ah no you don't" John said, and shut my phone.

"Hey!" I gasped, having hung up on Jen. This was definitely not good. Not good at all. In fact this is what could be classified as the opposite of good.

"C'mon Bobby" Sarah said, and of course, we ended up retreating into the mall now.

Jen had sent me a text message while we were walking asking which way we were heading, but there was no way I could make Jen walk all that way to find us. She might seriously get hurt. I told her we were heading into the mall but that I would find a way to find her.

"Hey, let's go in the disney store!" Sarah said, having already pulled us a great deal away from my destination that was the furniture department. I cringe as we walk even further away, and vowed to myself to find Jen no matter what.

"If it's any consolation to you..." John said, as Sarah was checking out a pile of Mickey Mouse stuffed animals, "I'm not a fan of this store either"

"Indeed" I sighed. I had to think of something and I had to think of it now, before it was too late. Jen probably hated me by now. I had left her all alone in Macy's... well no longer. I would think of a way to go to furniture now. And then I thought of it, an easy lie, an obvious way out. "I uh have to go to the bathroom"

John was about to make a comment about it but I didn't give him any time. I had already paced my way out of the disney store in a hurry and found myself running through the mall --literally running.

I zig-zagged through the crowd, causing a few gasps from some, but most were unaffected as I flew through the mall, with no intention to ever return to the disney store. After all, Jen was more important.

I rush into the entrance of Macy's and take out my cell phone, when I'm sure that noone's looking, and dial Jen's number.

"Jen!" I said, with a hushed shout, "are you still in furniture?"

"I'm actually in carpeting now, it's kind of fun" Jen said.

"I'll be right there" I replied and quickly walked over to the quiet area where the massive area rugs were. There were carpets hanging from the walls and piles of circular, smaller rugs on the floor, like islands. I look around for Jen, before I hear her tiny screams. I sigh with relief and get down low enough to see her better.

"Oh thank god you're okay" I said, but Jen seemed calmer about it than I expected.

"Yeah I'm fine" Jen said, "I'll admit I was a little freaked at first but once I found out you were with friends, I understood"

"I know, but I'm so sorry I left you here, it won't happen again, I promise" I said, and was about to pick her up but she walked away from my hand a bit. "What's wrong?"

"I don't want to leave just yet, I want to stay here... on this carpet" Jen said, and so I sat down next to her on the carpet. "Isn't it beautiful?"

"Yeah you are --I mean, yes it is" I said, nervously chuckling. Part of me meant to say that, of course.

"I mean it though" Jen said, "these carpets are really nice, especially when you're more close up to them"

Jen started walking on one of the really long stretching carpets with patterns resembling red ribbons streaked down them. She looked like a little kid, filled with excitement on Christmas morning as she explored this row of carpeting.

"I've really come to appreciate more..." Jen said, with a bit of a hushed tone, "ever since..."

"Ever since what?" I said, seemingly breaking her train of thought at that point.

"Huh? Nothing" Jen said, "I just... I really like these carpets"

"Yeah, they're nice... but..." I began but then my fears were confirmed. John and Sarah had followed me back here. I could hear them talking, so I quickly said, "JEN! Quick, you got to get in my pocket!"

"What? Why?" Jen asked, with dissapointment in her voice. She was really loving these carpets, each one a different landscape for her to explore, but if I didn't hurry, I just might've lost her again.

"My friends are coming, I have to run!" I said, and she reluctantly climbed onto my palm, "Hang on tight, Jen!"

I slowly slipped her into my pocket, making sure she'd be comfortable for what I was about to do next. I take off as fast as possible and think John or Sarah might've caught a glimpse of me, but I don't care.

"We're gonna have to leave the mall..." I sighed, as I exited Macy's with Jen still secured in my pocket. I had to be extremely careful with her in there. I had another human life in my pocket, basically and any false move could spell her doom. I was always conscious of that. "I don't want them finding me and seeing you"

"OK OK" Jen said, sounding a bit frightened now, "let's just go then"

Once I was sure I had lost John and Sarah for good, I began to slow to a more normal pace and headed towards the parking lot.

"Ahh!" Jen shrieked, "your phone is vibrating"

"Oh I'm sorry" I said, switching the pocket that my cell phone was in, "I completely didn't mean to do that to you"

"It's fine" Jen sighed with relief, "I bet that was John though, or Sarah"

"Yeah probably" I sighed sadly and opened the door to my car, flopping inside. This night had been a disaster. I was looking forward to a great time with my new friend but it had to be ruined by my other friends being there. "I'm so sorry Jen"

"About what?" she asked, as I took her out my pocket and let her rest in my hand.

"Just everything" I said, and set her down on the dash board where she looked very comfortable, "I wanted us to have a good time at the mall tonight and..."

"Are you kidding me? That WAS fun!" Jen exclaimed, her eyes lighting up a little.

"Really?" I asked, shocked to see her so pleased with our recent 'adventure'. "But we didn't get to stay so long"

"Eh, whatever, it was still more of an adventure than anything Ive done in a while" Jen said, and when I was ready to start my car again, I lowered her back into my cup holder for protection.

"So, is there anything else you'd like to do?" I said, feeling a dread in my heart that our night of fun was almost over.

"Actually..." Jen said, looking up at me nervously, "I was wondering if possibly... I could sleep over your house?"

"You serious?" I asked, feeling my excitement level reach an all-time high.

"well, there's no need to go ALL the way back to Avery Point at this time," Jen said, "and as long as I'm with you now, and you're closer to home, why not?"

"Yeah, sure... I mean... if you want to" I said, feeling super excited, and a bit frightened at how fast things were going. Heck, I hadn't ever had someone sleep over my house, let alone a girl as pretty as Jen.

"Alright then, c'mon!" Jen said, seemingly excited within the cupholder "let's get this party started!"