- Text Size +
Story Notes:

This is my first story so bear with me.

Author's Chapter Notes:

there are two parts to this chapter. one is in the point of view of Elizabeth and one in the point of view of Shawna.

italics mean thoughts.

bold is giant voices for the person who is shrunk.

The Beginning: Elizabeth's Point of View

The sun burned Elizabeth's eyes as she looked up into the sky. It was a beautiful day out and she was walking through the center of town after school on a Friday. It was not very crowded and yet she ended up running into someone and they both toppled over. She got up quickly and offered her hand to the girl she had knocked over. The girl accepted her hand and Elizabeth noticed she had a powerful grip. The girls eyes were cold and she seemed to be a bit out of it.

"Are you ok?"

The girl shook her head as if to remove an awful image. Her eyes seemed more lively.

"Oh, yes, I'm fine. Thank you."

Elizabeth helped her up. She was about as tall as Elizabeth. She wore jeans and a t-shirt, which surprised Elizabeth a bit. I just got out of school and am of course still in my uniform. And my school is the first to get out around here. Why is she not in an uniform?

"I am terribly sorry about that. I did not see you there."

"It is ok. Umm... Excuse me, I have to go." Elizabeth felt a little twinge in the back of her mind. It felt like fear, but like it was someone else’s fear. The girl walked off and Elizabeth continued on her way down the street towards her house.

What a strange feeling and a strange girl.

When she arrived home she decided to take a nap. She lay down and let herself fall into the most surreal dream ever. And yet she had had no control over the dream itself. In most of her dreams she could control her surroundings to some extent, but in this dream she had no control. It felt like she was really living it and yet she had no control over her own body. Elizabeth had seen herself in a mirror while in the dream, but she could not remember what she looked like. All she knew was that it was not her.

While trying to put the dream back together in her head, she felt that strange twinge again. This time it was a feeling of failure, fear, helplessness, and loneliness all as one. it sent a shiver down her spine.

Elizabeth was snapped out of her thought when her mom screamed her name.

"Liz. You are going to be late for work. Get your butt down here and in the car."

She was sixteen but did not yet have her license, so her mom had to drive her to work. I swear the only reason Mom even drives me to work is because she does not want me in the house.

Elizabeth had a decent life style. Her parents both had good jobs so they were pretty well off when it came to money. She went to a elite school and found it fairly simple. She was captain of the basketball team and the soccer team. She was uninterested in boys, which gave her more free time. And she loved to write, which made all that free time useful.

The only problem was that her mom hated her priorities. She wanted Elizabeth to marry a rich man, and be an actress or have some other well paying career. And Elizabeth wanted to be an author, which was on her mom's "no-no list". Her mom hated the fact that she played sports instead of finding herself a boyfriend. Elizabeth wanted to get away from her unsupportive mother, but found no way of doing so.

"Elizabeth!" She was once again ripped from her thoughts.

"I'm coming. Give me a second." She threw on a pair of jeans and a simple button-up blouse. Then she ran down stairs and out the front door to the car waiting out front.

She worked at a café downtown. Her mom had picked that job figuring she would meet a guy there. Elizabeth could care less.

Upon entering the café, the twinge that she had somehow forgotten came again, but this time more like a screaming headache. They were the same feelings as before, but there were also words.

...ouch... big hand... scary... in briefcase... four men... black coats... government... BAD...

The words poured into her head and would not stop. She tried to block them out but they broke through whatever barriers she put up in her mind.

Elizabeth stumbled into the employee changing room. Her head was screaming in pain. She put on her waitress apron and headed out to serve her first costumer.

She stood before a table of three suited men. The words in her head became images. First the image of the flag of the country. Then a gun. Then a pill. Then four suited men, their faces concealed. A giant hand. The inside of a briefcase. A giant cell phone.

The images kept pouring in. Elizabeth thought she was going to faint.

"Hey, miss, are you alright?"

One of the men had spoken to her. The pain was immense. She had put one hand down on the counter and the other was squeezing the bridge of her nose between her eyes. Her eyes were closed.

"I am very sorry. I just have this screaming headache. I am ok." She knew she could not really tell them what was really going on. She heard the clicks of the briefcase on the table being opened.

"I have some Tylenol. Would you like some?" That was the last thing she heard before she fainted.

She found herself dreaming. It was a continuation of the dream she had earlier that day, but a piece had been skipped over. Soon she was awake, with most of the people in the café standing over her.

She grunted, knowing in an instant she had hit her head. "How long have I been out?"

"Barely a minute."

"Ugh." She had a headache from the bruise she was sure was on its way. But there was no pain from the twinge. In fact the twinge was giving off a feeling of comfort and trust, although there was still a hint of fear. What changed, I wonder?

Elizabeth rose, brushing herself off. "I am feeling much better now. I am good to go."

"No. You are going home. I called your mother. She will be here shortly to drive you home." The manager was looking at her with a worried expression. "Why don't you go get changed and I will get you a glass of water."

"Fine." Elizabeth did not like the idea of going home. She headed into the changing room and took off her apron, putting it back in her locker. She was about to leave the room when the words from the twinge came back.

...STOP. Don't move...

Elizabeth stopped, not knowing what to think.

...You can hear me, right? Answer the question by whispering the word "yes" aloud...

"Y-yes."

...Good...

Elizabeth panicked. Ohigod. What the hell is going on?!

...No. Don't panic. You panicking makes my head hurt. You feel random emotions in the back of your mind, right? Answer in the same manner as last time...

"Yes."

...I will explain details further later, but right now you have to listen to me. Do you understand?...

"Yes."

...OK. Make sure no one is coming. When the coast is clear place you hand down on the ground on the left side of the trash can, palm up and open fisted...

What?! Why in hells name would I do that?

...Because you said you would listen to me...

You can hear my thoughts!

...And you can hear mine. That is how we are communicating at this very moment. Now put your hand on the ground...

"Fine." Elizabeth complied. When her hand was on the ground she heard one more thought.

...DO NOT PANIC!!!...

"OK."

Elizabeth stared in wonder as a tiny figure walked out from behind the trash can and climbed up onto her hand, sitting down in the center.

...Don't get any funny ideas. You can feel my pain and fear...

OMIGOD!!!

Elizabeth lifted the 2-inch-tall figure up close to her face to get a better look. She realized it was the girl from earlier that day, the one she had run into.

"You", she whispered. "What happened to you."

...I told you I would explain later. Right now we have to get out of here...

"Was it those men out there?"

...Yes, now move. They can’t find me or you. Understand?...

"Yes. Hold on. I am going to put you in my pocket. Do not struggle. I won’t do anything to you. I am telling the truth."

...I know your words are the truth. I can read your mind, remember?...

"Right..." Elizabeth put the little girl in her pocket and stood just in time for the manager to enter the room holding a cup of water.

"You ok?"

"Perfectly."

"Well your mother is here so you may leave."

"Ok."

Elizabeth walked through the café, glancing quickly at the three men in suits. They had their briefcase open and were rummaging through it.

...Run...

What?!

...You have to run. They are going to look for me. You can’t be here when they do...

But...

...Run now!...

Elizabeth had exited the café and was about to get in the car. She glanced back over her shoulder. The men had gotten up and were talking to the manager about something.

The twinge, which Elizabeth now knew was the mind of her little friend, gave off a wave of fear far greater than before.

...RUN!!!...

Elizabeth took off running as fast as she could.

Where am I supposed to go?

...Do you have any money on you?...

Yes.

...How much?...

Two hundred in cash and a credit card.

...Go to the Acela train station...

What!

...Train station. West 34th street...

Why?

...We are going to hop a train to Boston...

Boston?! We are in Manhattan. Why would we go to Boston?!

...We can get help there...

Why do we need help?!

...They will kill you and torture me...

Elizabeth could feel herself speed up automatically. She could not help feel afraid, but luckily the little girls mind sent her a feeling of calmness.

...Do not turn around or stop. Take me out of your pocket and hold me just over your shoulder facing behind you...

Elizabeth did as she was instructed.

How can you be so calm when you are that size?

The little girl took a little time coming up with an answer.

...I trust you. Only your mother is following us. Take this alleyway. Oh and you can put me back in your pocket...

Elizabeth once again did as she was told. She ran for twenty minutes until she reached the train station.

Thank goodness I play sports, otherwise I would have died with all that running.

She could feel the little girl in her pocket giggling and remembered that she could hear her thoughts.

She entered the train station, which was much nicer than most. She went to stand in line for a ticket. The line was short and in no time she was being helped.

"What can I do for you?"

"One ticket to Boston, please."

"That would be 83 dollars."

Elizabeth handed over the money. The ticket man handed her a ticket in return.

The ticket says departure is in a half hour. You want some lunch?

...As long as we don’t miss our train...

How does a sandwich sound?

...Big...

Elizabeth could not help giggle.

Sorry. That is kinda funny.

She could feel the girls annoyed feeling.

Ok. How does a chunk of turkey and a chunk of bread sound?

...Better...

They ate quickly and then got on the train. Elizabeth found them a cabin where they were by themselves.

My name is Elizabeth, but you can call me Liz. What is yours?

...Shawna...

Well nice to meet you Shawna.

...You too...

Elizabeth looked out the window, watching the scenery go by. She felt excited. It was something like she had never felt. She was doing something that had truly caught her attention. She was leavnig behind her unsupportive mother, her boringly simple school, everything.

I wonder what’s in store.

Chapter End Notes:

More is to come shortly.

i hope you like it and please do comment.