- Text Size +

The ruined city came into view and everyone got a first hand look at what the Sturmgewehr were capable of. The fires Pixis saw were gone but the burned skeleton of the city was still a disturbing sight and above the city there were three zeppelins hung in the air circling the perimeter of the city like vultures.
“Halt,” Sinclair ordered to them. He then ordered to see Pixis and Raquel responded by taking the Elf out of her cleavage and placed him at Sinclair’s side.
“You’re going to have to guide us through the city”
“I’d be glad to,” replied Pixis. “But what about the zeppelins? The moment they spot us their cannons will blow us to smithereens.”
“Leave that to me,” said Harlan as he crouched down and aimed his rifle.
“A word of advice to anyone here not a hundred feet in height-- get down, cover your ears and close your eyes.” They all quickly did as he said and then Harlan took aim at one of the zeppelins and fired. Fire burst from the zeppelin’s hull and it crashed outside the city and exploded. Harlan fired at the final two with equally similar looking satisfying results.
“Well,” said Pixis as everyone else picked themselves up. “Nice shooting but they’re sure to expect us now.”
“I have an idea,” said Claude.

Claude walked through the dead city. The smell of charred flesh filled the air as walked through the once glorious Elven city. He came across three Sturmgewehr soldiers that seemed to be on patrol. As he approached them they drew out their weapons and shouted “Halt!”
“Hold your fire boys” he said nonchalantly.
“Reinhart?” asked one of them in surprise and he motioned to the others to lower their weapons.
“I don’t believe it. General Reinheart, we heard you were dead.”
“Did you know?” Claude asked.
“Come on, sir,” said another one of them. “Let’s get you to the Brigade.” As the four them walked off one of them glanced over his shoulder.
“I think heard something,” he said. “It might have been some of those pointy eared freaks.”
“I didn’t hear anything,” replied Claude. “Let’s keep going.”
“Yes sir.”
“So,” said Claude. “Where’s the rest of city’s inhabitance?”
“We’re searching for survivors as we speak. Don’t worry, we’ll have those damned things dead soon enough.”
“Well then,” said Claude. “I think see three of those damned things right now.”
“Where?” asked another soldier.
“They’re standing right in front of me,” replied Claude coldly.
The three soldiers stopped dead in their tracks and nervously turned towards Claude.
“Are you okay, sir?” one of them asked.
“Never felt better,” he replied.
The three men quickly raised their weapons at him but alas, Claude quickly drew his revolver and fired off six shots. Three men fell to the ground and drowned in pools of their own blood. Claude smiled, reloaded his revolver and placed it back in his holster. He walked about seven miles until he found the brigade. They had constructed a makeshift base in the middle of what appeared to be large park. He approached them and like before the soldiers aimed their weapons at him and just as before they started recognize who he was. Their Colonel was the first to run up to greet him.
“General Reinheart,” he said. “We thought you were—”
“I know, I know,” interrupted Claude.
“What happened?” another one asked.
“I was captured by the enemy,” the soldiers started to murmur among themselves and Claude resisted the urge to chuckle at this predictable response.
“What did they do to you?”
“Surprisingly enough, they treated me quite well.”
The soldiers fell silent.
“You’re joking, sir,” one of them chuckled nervously.
“I’m not joking,” replied Claude. He noticed that some of the men were where slowly going for their weapons.
“Sir,” began the Colonel. “You seem to have gone some traumatic shit there.”
“My time with them has no doubt changed me but I assure you my honesty has not altered.”
As Claude finished his statement practically every soldier was aiming their weapons at him.
“If that’s the case,” said the Colonel, “I suggest you surrender to us and—” he stopped suddenly.
“What was that?” he said in surprise.
“What is it, sir?” asked one of the soldiers.
“I heard something.”
“Who’s with you?”
“Friends,” replied Claude.
“Are they now?” The Colonel replied, he then drew his pistol and pointed at Claude’s temple.
“Call them off.”
Claude shook his head. “You really shouldn’t have done that.”
“Why?” the Colonel asked sternly. His question was soon answered when Raquel leaped from behind one of the buildings wielding a blunt piece of debris and slammed it into the Sturmgewehr soldiers. Sinclair charged in with the other soldiers firing their weapons, the Sturmgewehr fired back and all hell broke loose. Before the Colonel could give an order to his men, Claude grabbed him by the throat and pulled out the Colonel’s bayonet. The Colonel struggled but Claude silenced him driving the bayonet into the man’s chest and head repeatedly.

Claude then joined the battle firing his revolver at his former comrades with a look of manic glee in his eyes. He saw Raquel pick up tanks and smash them as well as swat and stop enemy soldiers, he watched soldiers gun each other down while throwing grenades and using other explosives to turn each other into fleshy confetti and to top it all off, Harlan was playing sniper, taking out vehicles and large bunches of men with his rifle while using some buildings as cover from the heavy guns. Claude was a bit surprised seeing Pixis being quiet vicious yet non lethal. He would fire arrows into the arms and legs of soldiers, crippling them. Claude commandeered a machine gun on top of a Sturmgewehr tank and fired it into the sea of enemy soldiers. The battle then quickly turned into a human shooting gallery.

   Harlan wiped the sweat from his forehead and ejected the last empty cartridge from his rifle. A flood of unpleasant memories were coming back to him as he walked over to where his comrades were located. The memories grew more unpleasant when he reached the sight. Bodies of both armies littered the ground and stench of burning flesh filled the air. Raquel walked up to her father with a look of horror on her face, wrapped her arms around him and wept. Pixis walked up to her in concern.
“Raquel?” he asked nervously. She looked down at him, her eyes moist.
“Did I kill anyone?” she asked.
“I don’t know,” replied Pixis nervously.
“You didn’t,” said Claude. “You just broke a bunch of bones.” Raquel relaxed just a little bit and moved away from her father.
“I take it they were taken prisoner?” asked Harlan.
“Some of them.”
“Some of them?” repeated Pixis suspiciously. “Explain yourself.”
“Well,” began Claude. “I was busy putting them out of their misery whe—”
“You were killing them?!” shouted Pixis
“Why not?” Claude fired back “They deserved it.”
“But how does it make you different from them?” replied Pixis angrily.
“Because I kill to make amends, they kill because they loathe every being that doesn’t remotely look like them.”
“Well, then you’re just li—” Before Pixis could finish he felt someone touch his shoulder. He turned around fast and saw a familiar face, a tall Elf with a black hair and a thick black beard wearing a black and gold Elven war robe.
“Hello, Nephew,” he said softly.
“Uncle Sanjor,” gasped Pixis. “I—” looked behind him and saw that some of his own people still bruised but still alive and coming out of hiding.
“What about the rest of my family?” Pixis asked him.
“They’re alive,” his Uncle responded. Pixis was relieved but still uneasy. Sanjor looked at the two giants and Claude.
“I must say have quite the taste in companions.”
“Well,” replied Pixis. “Claude here isn’t exactly a companion.”
“But he’s certainly a skilled fighter,” protested Sanjor.
“Tell me about yourself Claude.”
“Well,” began Claude. “I was one of them.” He pointed the vast number of Sturmgewehr corpses. “But this lovely angel here changed me.”
“And judging by your viciousness in combat I can tell she made you a more efficient killer. What’s her secret?”
“I just played some chess with him,” said Raquel nervously.
“Fascinating,” replied Sanjor and walked back toward Sinclair to talk about disposing of the body.
“Quite the uncle,” said Harlan. “I take it he’s a soldier?”
“A Dreadnaught,” replied Pixis. “A special elite soldier, they’re trained to have no fear and to care for others and never for themselves. They’re completely selfless and have no ego and charge into battle with only melee weapons.”
“Fascinating,” said Harlan.
“We should probably get going,” said Raquel.

Raquel picked up Claude and the three of them left the city. Sanjor looked at his nephew and smiled.
“Do detect jealousy in your eyes?”
“What? NO!” Pixis snapped. “I’m not jealous; I just don’t like the prospect of Raquel being with a potentially dangerous sociopath.”
“How long have you labeled him that?” asked Sanjor.
“It’s not a label, it’s the truth.”
“If that’s the case then I say you’re a total pervert.”
“WHAT?” shouted Pixis.
“Don’t tell you forgot about all those times you followed every busty lass you came across.”
“I was young and stupid back then, Uncle,” said Pixis.
“And you still are.”
Before Pixis could respond two Elven soldiers walked up to Sanjor carrying a wounded but still breathing enemy combatant.
“We found him operating a radio. He was apparently sending a message to the Sturmgewehr.”
“Reinforcments?” Sanjor asked them.
“It sounded like he was informing them about their traitor and he was also giving them coordinates.”
“Coordinates too where?”
“Apparently they were pointing to the direction those two giants were going.”
Pixis grew nervous. “Are you sure?” he asked the soldiers.
“Go listen for yourselves,” replied the prisoner with shit eating grin on his face.
The soldiers guided them to what was left of the damaged but still functioning radio. Pixis quickly grabbed the com.
“Who is this?” asked a calm collected Klaus.
“Sir,” said the prisoner coming forward to the com. “This is Conner again; my captors would like the have a word with you.”
“Well, I hate disappoint them but I have a prize to claim,” Pixis then angrily shoved Conner out of the way.
“If you even scratch her” Pixis shouted into the com. “I will personally—”
“Who is this?” shouted Klaus.
“Pixitatonolous, thank you very much, and I swear if Raquel is harmed in any—”
“You have affection for that thing?” Klaus interrupted. Pixis then heard a low “Hhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmm” over the com. Then over the radio came the word “Fire.”
“NO!” screamed Pixis as the sounds of heavy guns erupted from the com. Among the sounds gun fire her heard Raquel scream in anguish and pain. The sounds then died and Pixis heard the faint sound of some else’s voice.
“Sir, they’ve fallen but female is apparently still alive though.”
“Very well,” Klaus’s voice replied. “What of Claude?”
“We’re still looking for him.”
“Very well, prepare the chains lets bring back our prize.”
“You sick bastard,” snarled Pixis.
“Don’t worry, she’s not dead,” replied Klaus. “Yet. First I’ll present her to my people showing them we are capable of doing of doing then I’ll play with her for a bit and then I’ll kill her.”
Pixis screamed with anger. He yanked out his hunting knife, gutted the radio until only static was heard over the com. The Prisoner laughed madly at Pixis’s misfortune.
“Oh boy,” he said in a grimly Jolly tone. “You actually love that thing don’t you?”
The two soldiers then grabbed him by his arms and hoisted him up.
“I don’t give a shit what you do to me,” Conner said aloud. “Do what you want, I can take it.”
“Really?” asked Sanjor as he approached Conner. Sanjor then looked at the soldiers and said “Crucify him.”
Conner’s laugh faded and his smile was replaced with an uneasy look.
“You can’t be serious,” Conner said.
“Take good long look at my face and tell me that I’m not serious.”
Conner stared into Sanjors eyes. He was dead serious.
“Take him away,” said Sanjor. As the prisoner was taken to his fate, Sanjor turned his sobbing nephew and put his hand on his shoulder.
“Come now,” he said. “Gather your human companions take me to their leader, I owe him a debt for what he’s done here.”

Klaus watched as the soldiers proceeded wrap Raquel’s limbs in chains. The chains were connected to two of the Sturmgewehr’s largest tanks; both were 77 ft. in length and 31 in width. Between them was a roofless truck that had a control panel in the back seat, the panel had only a dial and a lever and protruding from the device was a series of cables that were attached to the chains. Raquel however was slowly regaining consciousness and the soldiers quickly darted away as she began to rise up. Klaus raced to the truck’s control panel and threw the lever. A loud ominous buzz came from the machine. Raquel screamed in pain and collapsed. She raised her head and made eye contact with Klaus. Klaus turned around and shouted “Alright, move it out.”
The tanks and the truck started moving forward but Raquel stayed put. She used the strength she had left to pull away from the vehicles but Klaus once again threw the switch again with the same painful results.
“It’ll become more painful if you continue to resist.”
Raquel got up and nodded her head.
Klaus smiled and ordered one of his officers to come forward.
“Take fifty men here and find Claude; I want him dead or alive but preferably dead.”
The Officer nodded and gathered the men.
“Move out,” bellowed Klaus.
Raquel began the follow the vehicles as the army moved along. As the long journey continued Raquel’s mind raced for ideas on how she could get out but she kept drawing a blank. As the Sturmgewehr’s capital city came in to view she finally decided if she was going die, she’d better do it with dignity. She straightened her body and put her head in the air as the gate to the city opened. As she was parade through the city she noticed that unlike the first time Klaus captured there were no civilians in the street starring at her they were all in there homes looking through their windows at Klaus in fear. She looked down at Klaus and saw that he was clearly perturbed. She thought about taunting him based on this situation be she decided not to. The tanks lead her to the Pyramid in the center of the city, a chunk of earth to the left of the Pyramid opened up and revealed a large hydraulic door opened that lead to winding ramp, the tanks took her down the ramp and into the dark abyss.

Claude peered out behind the tree he was hiding behind. The platoon was marching forward and scanning their surroundings. Claude quickly loaded his revolver and as soon as finished one of the soldiers made eye contact with him.
“He’s over here!” the soldier cried out. Claude quickly fired his revolver. The bullet shot its way through the soldiers head, sending brain matter and skull bits flying. The rest of the platoon opened fire on Claude but he jumped out of the way and fired the five bullets he left in the gun, killing three other soldiers and then reloaded the gun. They continued to exchange gun fire at one other and Claude was starting run low on extra ammo until finally he was down to one bullet left in his gun and there were 19 soldiers left. As they closed in he began to contemplate suicide but then as he put the revolver to his head there was a large bang and then the ground beneath the soldiers exploded and their limbs scattered into the air. Claude turned to were the sound came from.
“Harlan,” he cried. Harlan cocked his rifle and got up of the ground bleeding but still alive. Using his rifle as a crutch he managed to stand up straight again.
“Are you okay?” he asked the wounded giant.
“I’m fine,” Harlan replied. “Raquel?” he asked the smaller man.
“They took her.”
A look of hopelessness came over Harlan’s face.
“I’m going to get help,” said Claude. “Tillinghast might be able to spare some men for us.”
“Good idea,” replied Harlan. “I’ll get the parliament to see if they can send our brigade to assist them.”
“Thank you,” said Claude. Harlan nodded and turned around.
“Are you sure you can make it?” Claude asked him.
“Trust me, I’ve been through worse,” Harlan replied and the two men split off